As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Man I just tried the CBS streaming service with the free week, what a bag of crap that is. It's got the same amount of ads as the broadcast and it doesn't remember where you left off so you have to rewatch all the ads trying to get back to your spot. I can't see how that is going to sell as anything other than free.

CBS has never really gotten it when it comes to streaming. I was unaware they were starting a free service, but when I've used their app and website in the past it's taken them two weeks to update new shows which effectively kills any chance anyone has to catch a missed episode and then continue to watch it live.

Nah man this is their pay service. I just tried the trial. It does update the shows the night they air. It would be fine if it was free but the huge number of ads and its pay? No way

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    My biggest pet peeve with the PS3 app is how it never remembers my audio / subtitle settings.

Probably not a problem for the majority of Netflix users, but its annoying when I feel like catching up on some anime, and I always have to reselect to put it in English sub, or for some, English dub. It always defaults to Japanese dub with no sub.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hmm I think mine only forgot it once?
    For me the biggest peeve is the iPad app where maybe 10% of the time when I fire it up, it decides to not display the "Continue Watching" or "Recently Watched" sections so I have to manually search the show I was on to resume it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Pretty excited that Wet Hot American effing Summer is coming out tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Just heard a rumor about Netflix producing three live action Star Wars shows similar to their whole Marvel Defenders initiative. Sexy!

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-netflix-live-action-series/

• Options

Are they getting the movie as well (or do they have it already, I admit I haven't checked)? I've never seen it.

Also does anybody know if the later seasons of Who are available anywhere? Netflix and Hulu both stop like 2 years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The Wet Hot American Summer movie is on Netflix streaming in the U.S.

When you say Who, are you talking about Doctor Who? If so, Netflix has through season 7, which means they're only one season behind. Presumably season 8 will go on netflix around when season 9 is about to start running on TV.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    A bit late to the party, but Peaky Blinders.

This show was made for me.

I swear there are scenes just to show off Cillian Murphy's eyes.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Just heard a rumor about Netflix producing three live action Star Wars shows similar to their whole Marvel Defenders initiative. Sexy!

With the extremely successful deal with Disney/Marvel, them making a similar deal with Disney for a Star Wars show or three doesn't seem so out there.

Please make one of them about Bounty Hunters!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

Are they getting the movie as well (or do they have it already, I admit I haven't checked)? I've never seen it.

Also does anybody know if the later seasons of Who are available anywhere? Netflix and Hulu both stop like 2 years ago.
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The Wet Hot American Summer movie is on Netflix streaming in the U.S.

When you say Who, are you talking about Doctor Who? If so, Netflix has through season 7, which means they're only one season behind. Presumably season 8 will go on netflix around when season 9 is about to start running on TV.
    Yeah, whichever season was the one that ended with
    the doctor dying in the timestream and the new companion jumps into it and meets one of the older Doctor's.
    Maybe it has only been 1 season. I feel like it watched it ages ago and there's been nothing since.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

This show is weird. Its self awareness is off the charts.

Though you can't complain much with Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd onboard.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    First episode of WHAS was really good, and whatever scheduling conflicts there were here works better than in Arrested Development since you can just move things to bunks or cabins like what they did with Cooper and Poehler. The biggest problem the show has so far are terrible camp kids, but I think they'll be put in their place by the end. Hopefully.

I also like how the Mad Men cast seems to have just showed up one day and everyone just went with it.

edit: episode 2 was even better, from my head tomatoes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I guess I'll watch the movie then and... huh I know nearly all of these actors.

Quid on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »
    First episode of WHAS was really good, and whatever scheduling conflicts there were here works better than in Arrested Development since you can just move things to bunks or cabins like what they did with Cooper and Poehler. The biggest problem the show has so far are terrible camp kids, but I think they'll be put in their place by the end. Hopefully.

The movie itself was mostly a bunch of 2-3 person scenes/sketches, so not having every actor available at all times for the series is easier to work around and isn't a liability like it was at times for Arrested Development S4. Bradley Cooper could show up for a couple of days and shoot his scenes with Amy Poehler or Michael Ian Black or whoever and doesn't really need to hang around for the entire shoot.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    THIS COOL GUY'S GONNA BE ANT MAN

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Watched the first four episodes of WHAS before work; loving it!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    And through six episodes, still loving it.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I just finished episode 4, and the final scene with
    Weird Al revealing himself to be Jon Hamm in disguise, and him thoughtfully selecting the gun instead of fruit as his weapon of choice

killed me.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I can see Disney going this route. Daredevil is already better recieved than Agents of Snore ever was and their cable channels aren't really adult oriented so a more mature Star wars would make sense on Netflix.

I'm hoping this means Disney will allow more of their catalog onto Netflix streaming as well.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Hay Guise,

knew month, knew drops:

-Batman & Robin
    -Blue Crush
    -Can't Buy Me Love
    -Conspiracy Theory (good movie)
    -The Doors
    -Enemy at the Gates (the other war movie Call of Duty ripped off)
    -Fletch (!)
    -Hurt Locker
    -The Man From Nowhere
    -Reading Rainbow (it's a volume 1 collection don't know if it's the good 80's stuff or what)
    -Starship Troopers
    -The Substitute
    -The Skeleton Twins
    -Three Kings
    -Top Secret!
    -The Way

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Ooooohhhh the Substitute...

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Starship Troopers is one of my favorite comedies ever.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Everyone needs to watch Top Secret! and I mean everyone

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Starship Troopers is one of my favorite comedies ever.

Quoting that movie during my time in the army was the best thing ever. That my platoon's name was Roughnecks made it even more hilarious.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The Man From Nowhere is really good.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The Starship Troopers movie is a cruel parody of the original book. In the book there was no need for armored support vehicles because every soldier was a "bouncing tank." In the movie you have a bunch of soldiers trying to fight a ground war on foot while wearing "armor" that might as well have been made of paper.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    The Starship Troopers movie is a cruel parody of the original book. In the book there was no need for armored support vehicles because every soldier was a "bouncing tank." In the movie you have a bunch of soldiers trying to fight a ground war on foot while wearing "armor" that might as well have been made of paper.

Sure and there are.... Thematic differences as well.

But it is kinda mindlessly fun.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    With Batman & Robin back on Netflix, I wonder if we'll be getting Batman Forever back. I only saw that one once, and while not really liking it that much, I thought Val Kilmer did an OK job as Batman. I'm curious if that'll still hold up. I don't think my wife has seen either of the Schumacher movies, and I feel like she needs to be exposed to them both just to see the lows.

I was surprised at how different the book was from the movie when I read it about 10 years ago. I'm not sure why I was surprised, though.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    With Batman & Robin back on Netflix, I wonder if we'll be getting Batman Forever back. I only saw that one once, and while not really liking it that much, I thought Val Kilmer did an OK job as Batman. I'm curious if that'll still hold up. I don't think my wife has seen either of the Schumacher movies, and I feel like she needs to be exposed to them both just to see the lows.

I'd like to see Batman Forever again as well. I have an old VHS copy of it, but no tape player. I know they're not great, but I was a kid, and I loved Batman Forever and the soundtrack. I'd definitely love to see it again.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

I'd like to see Batman Forever again as well. I have an old VHS copy of it, but no tape player. I know they're not great, but I was a kid, and I loved Batman Forever and the soundtrack. I'd definitely love to see it again.

As kid, I always thought Kilmer was the best Batman in the Burton/Schumacher series. Clooney wasn't bad, but Batman & Robin as a whole was a steaming pile of garbage. And even as a 10 year old kid, the idea of Keaton being physical enough to pull off Batman was laughable.

No idea what I'd think if I went back and rewatched all of them now, though.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    redx wrote: »

There was a lot more to that post that never ended up getting written due to work. The whole theme was different, yeah. In the book, Heinlein spent entre chapters talking about the structure of civilization and what lead it to be the way it is. About the only part that made it into the move was "service guarantees citizenship." What's interesting is the approach both took to this idea. I like to think Heinlein drew a lot of his inspiration for the style of government from the formation Israel. There are a more than a few parallels between the two, the least of which is military service to be able to vote (though in Israel military service is compulsory). In striking contrast, I feel like the movie drew much more from the Nazi's, especially with the uniforms.

The biggest flaw is a lack of power armor. If you close your eyes and imagine all the soldiers are bouncing around the battlefield in 8 foot suits of death using hand flamers and peewii nukes, everyone's motivations make a lot more sense. Why else would you send an army of millions to capture an entire planet without a single GOD DAMNED APC or even a fucking truck? I think it would have been a lot cooler if the bugs all had bioluminescent photocyte lasers.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Wet Hot American Summer Long Title TV Series Prequel To Existing Movie might be my favorite Netflix "original" show to date, hopefully to be replaced by Fuller House. It's definitely got a rewatch factor other shows don't have.

It still maintains the weird story with weird logic but still not being completely stupid or self indulgent with the cast being just these famous people now so laugh type thing that Anchorman turned into. And the cast additions worked pretty well with the exception of Kirsten Wiig and the preppies (outside of the last episode).

Hell, the last episode is great in terms of being one of the best single TV episodes in recent memory, first two seasons of Community good. And it takes some running jokes and caps it off hella good, hella good. I mean I was just giving a slow clap of appreciation with the ending joke payoff in episode 8 and how pompous it is to have forced messages. The episode also had a really good fight scene that was both funny and realistic but not too realistic, if that makes sense. It does, don't think about it, it's just that I have this thing I have to get to, though I could stay and explain if I have it's just that it's putting me in an awkward position.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Three Kings!
    Enemy at the Gates!

Love those movies.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I'm a few episodes into Wet Hot American summer. I have not seen the movie so I didn't know exactly what to expect. The show already feels quite absurd with its 16 yrs old characters being played by actors in their 40s but then a few episodes in they kick it up a notch.
    Mitch the talking can!

Really enjoying it so far.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

There was a lot more to that post that never ended up getting written due to work. The whole theme was different, yeah. In the book, Heinlein spent entre chapters talking about the structure of civilization and what lead it to be the way it is. About the only part that made it into the move was "service guarantees citizenship." What's interesting is the approach both took to this idea. I like to think Heinlein drew a lot of his inspiration for the style of government from the formation Israel. There are a more than a few parallels between the two, the least of which is military service to be able to vote (though in Israel military service is compulsory). In striking contrast, I feel like the movie drew much more from the Nazi's, especially with the uniforms.

The biggest flaw is a lack of power armor. If you close your eyes and imagine all the soldiers are bouncing around the battlefield in 8 foot suits of death using hand flamers and peewii nukes, everyone's motivations make a lot more sense. Why else would you send an army of millions to capture an entire planet without a single GOD DAMNED APC or even a fucking truck? I think it would have been a lot cooler if the bugs all had bioluminescent photocyte lasers.

The movie is the result of a director who lived through a Nazi occupation reading a book that posited that a soft military fascist state would be a good idea for a society, going "Fuck that shit" and making a movie trolling the book.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Paul Verhoeven turn a movie not a parody of itself?

Perish the thought!

What do you think Robocop was but a cruel parody of 80 action tropes?

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I'm a few episodes into Wet Hot American summer. I have not seen the movie so I didn't know exactly what to expect. The show already feels quite absurd with its 16 yrs old characters being played by actors in their 40s but then a few episodes in they kick it up a notch.
    Mitch the talking can!

If you haven't seen the movie, you'll be missing a lot of jokes, but I can see how it would still be quite good on its own.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Mitch the talking can!

@Fireflash

you should go watch the movie first, it's on netflix, it's the same length as 3 eps of the show

and so many of the jokes are references to the movie and stuff

it is necessary

poo
  • Options

Perish the thought!

I'm not saying the movie want good in its own right. It just had no business calling itself Starship Troopers. Change a couple of names and it would be hard to find the source material.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Perish the thought!

I'm not saying the movie want good in its own right. It just had no business calling itself Starship Troopers. Change a couple of names and it would be hard to find the source material.

Woody Allen did Casino Royale almost 40 years before Daniel Craig arrived on the scene.

Listen, I loved Heinlein's Sarship Troopers growing up. Well, a few chapters at least. Shit, for a book about blowing up filthy xenos with power armor, it got really boring in the middle there. I'm getting off-track. The point is, even I, enjoying the book, appreciated the movie's take-down of the book's military-worshiping premise. "Service guarantees citizenship" is an interesting enough idea that it can survive some ruthless deconstruction.

Maybe someone in 2036 will make another, more serious live action adaptation. #DizzyLives