Options

Dwarf Fortress: New Ver. RELEASED! Now in 3 ASCII dimensions! (NSF56K)

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Roshin wrote: »
    I love the way they look, so please do. :)
    Any chance of elephants..?

all15.jpg?

Mayday on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Red eyes and bloody tusks.

Love it!

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, considering your video card takes most of the brunt of graphics processing, I wouldn't be surprised if a more graphical version of DF was only slightly slower.

I'm still tooling around with ideas in my head to realistically give DF nice 3D graphics from a development standpoint. Not that it has to have them, just because it might only make it more awesome. I guess it would need something like a 'game 2.0' website where people can independently upload models, animations and textures and rate each other. Then, people could mix & match their own graphics based on their tastes. Having artistic continuity over thousands of possible objects and characters would be a nightmare to achieve though.

It's interesting precisely because it would be so hard.
    I think you'd be much better off with, like, isometric sprites.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think you'd be much better off with, like, isometric sprites.

I second this with both my hands and one foot.

Mayday on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    why not the other foot?

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, I gotta eat somehow, right?

Mayday on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is that a bearded dwaven queen?

Vic on
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, considering your video card takes most of the brunt of graphics processing, I wouldn't be surprised if a more graphical version of DF was only slightly slower.

I'm still tooling around with ideas in my head to realistically give DF nice 3D graphics from a development standpoint. Not that it has to have them, just because it might only make it more awesome. I guess it would need something like a 'game 2.0' website where people can independently upload models, animations and textures and rate each other. Then, people could mix & match their own graphics based on their tastes. Having artistic continuity over thousands of possible objects and characters would be a nightmare to achieve though.

Dungeon Keeper = one of the best games ever for a lot of reasons.
    Dwarf Fortress = one of the best games ever for totally different reasons.

Combination = ? (too much awsome).

Don't get me wrong I love the ASCII and after playing a while it even manages to look perfectly natural. I just don't get why a major game developer hasn't just bougth the whole concept, hired toady (work ethic anyone?) and made the best game ever.
    Shit they could jump on the MMORPG bandwagon and have DF in persistant (but randomly generated) online worlds.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Dungeon Keeper = one of the best games ever for a lot of reasons.
    Dwarf Fortress = one of the best games ever for totally different reasons.

Combination = ? (too much awsome).

Don't get me wrong I love the ASCII and after playing a while it even manages to look perfectly natural. I just don't get why a major game developer hasn't just bougth the whole concept, hired toady (work ethic anyone?) and made the best game ever.
    Shit they could jump on the MMORPG bandwagon and have DF in persistant (but randomly generated) online worlds.

I'm about to punch you in the face through your monitor. Nobody is allowed to say this much awesome shit in one post you insensitive sonuvabitch!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    NEXT RELEASE TASK LIST: The number in parentheses is just a counter for me. Lower is better.

handle testing notes (9)
    update zlib code

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Obs IIObs II __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    df4ec0.png

df3cp0.png

df1jj4.png

df2hq6.png

details later

Obs II on
    Lit'l ol' Peta, missin' his lita 'ile 'ercy plays in the RED.
    Down came the glitches, 'ey burnt us in ditches an' we slep' af'er eatin' our dead.
    :whistle:
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    omg omg omg omg

my CPU is going ot get sooo raped by this

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Obs II wrote: »
    df4ec0.png

df3cp0.png

df1jj4.png

df2hq6.png

details later

byond?

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was just about to ask Mayday about making some grass and stone tiles for some mock-up screens.

But I guess that's one way to demonstrate the results.

Three questions: How are you going to reprogram DF for Byond, How are you going to find enough players om Byond who aren't total butt-faces, and who is going to get stuck being the stone-hauler?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Good questions. I'm glad you asked because I'm going to answer them now.

DFO isn't exactly Dwarf Fortress of course. The idea of DFO is that every player is an individual dwarf. People could be total jackasses if you play on public servers, but if you find the right group of people you could probably build cool shit. It is much like SS13 in this regard.

No one is going to get stuck with a shitty job like stone hauler. All players can do everything, but there are still skill levels. A player can choose to allocate some skill points to his dwarf at character creation. There are 56 skills in the game, and a player can go all the way to legendary in any skill if he practices long enough. Skill output is affected by how well fed and how much you've drank and stuff. If you are well fed you will work much faster. If you are decently fed you will work at normal efficiency. And if you are poorly fed you will sometimes be unable to do anything and you will be in a state where you hunt vermin for food temporarily.

If you die, your dwarf is dead and leaves behind a corpse. You the player will inhabit that corpse until you abandon in it, after which you can create a new dwarf which will arrive at the fortress in the next season. There are 4 seasons in a year. Summer, Spring, Autumn, Winter, and yes the grass will change to reflect the seasons.

You will be able to build workshops. Any dwarf can lay down the foundation for any workshop. When he does this, some squares detailing the outline of the shop will appear around you (only to you) and you walk around until you get them in the spot you want. Then you place and the shop is ready to be started by anyone. First you must bring all the necessary materials for the shop and place them in the foundation area. Then once that is done you can work on constructing the building. Once it's finally done, the functions of that building are available for any dwarf to use.

Your dwarf's graphic will change as you pick up a tool. If you pick up a pick axe you will look like a miner for instance. If you have nothing you look like a peasent. Etc. Your top profession however is displayed next to your name in parenthesis when people view your name.

Everyone in the game will receive similar global messages that will alert them about stuff that happens in the fortress much like the regular dwarf fortress.

In time monsters will attack the player made fortress, and players will have to fight to live. Double clicking a monster is how archery is handled. Running into a monster is how melee combat is handled (that is also how digging works. You run continuously into the blocks you wish to dig)

Caravans will arrive also and park outside in a designated area for trading.

After your fortress survives a year or so players can start immigrating to the fortress as some Nobles if they wish. More options become available as the fortress grows and time passes.

Someday maybe:

Players should able to send out dwarven NPC caravans to a central server, where they will be sent to other player fortresses for cross play capability. Your caravan will eventually return with goods created by other players in other fortresses in other worlds. Your caravan will also have a summary of the journey it took.

If you create a pigeon house outside you should also be able to send carrier pigeons to other fortresses.

Stay tuned though for my next post when I discuss the troubles and worries about the multi-verse that is Dwarf Fortress Online.

Obs II on
    Down came the glitches, 'ey burnt us in ditches an' we slep' af'er eatin' our dead.
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As long as you use a different control scheme than SS13, all will be well. My god, that game was finger-rape.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh trust me bro SS13 was a fucking piece of shit of a BYOND game when you really start to learn about the possibilities of how you could do things better. Especially now with BYOND 4.0.

Obs II on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Seriously if anything has to be clicked in this game on the actual game screen like a monster or something it will be a big clear easy to see graphic like those elephants, not fucking SS13 bird seed pixel hunting bullshit. And inventory is all handled through little tabbed menus (not that dwarves have much inventory to begin with. Hauling is basically that little menu you see there in the screen shots. The item you are hauling appears there and you click to drop it. Double click to pick it up. Easy. )

Obs II on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    of course now BYOND 4.0 allows you to create your own game skins anyway but I haven't looked at that anyway, so there might not even be tabs, it might be integrated much better.

Obs II on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whoa dude triple post kinda awkward.

Also, testing notes into the single digits makes me so happy.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    7 to go. We got windmills now.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    we will be playing this on monday.

I feel it in my bones...

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    7 to go. We got windmills now.
    Awesome. I can't wait to build an alternate fuel economy!

Pay no attention to that. Shouldn't you be playing more tf2?

;-)

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sigh... so close...

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, testing notes are at 7. However I have a bad feeling regarding updating zlib code, in that there may be more testing notes popping up.

If so, I shotgun the right to say 'Ohh, the jedi are going to feel this one'.

'Cos you know, it'd be funny. Aside from that though, when he says you have to grind your plants, what the hell is that for?

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So i started a fortress fairly recently, and got a road up for human trade. as soon as a wagon crosses the bridge, a kobold thief appears, destroys the wagon somehow, and promptly gets wrecked by the swordsmen. Then the humans leave pissed off. Grrrrrrrr.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So we can use water, wind and animal power now...

...What about peasant power?

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So we can use water, wind and animal power now...

...What about peasant power?

Terribly inefficient. Wood burns better.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't see why you couldn't eventually have some sort of multiplayer associated with this

like each player has x amount of playtime in which they can build their fortress, and then after that both fortresses are put in the same world and the players need to send their armies to try and destroy the other person's fortress, while all the while defending from the opponent's armies and from goblin sieges etc

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Multiplayer Adventurer mode would probably be just as, if not more awesome.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Because Dwarf Fortress is like being a fighter pilot: long periods of boredom punctuated by OHSHITELEPHANTSSHITSHITSHIT.

Dumbo is on the Air Force's Most Wanted list.

Garthor on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    From Something Awful... :)
    Manos-del-Sino1.jpg

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Roshin wrote: »
    From Something Awful... :)
    Manos-del-Sino1.jpg

That's brilliant. Love the cigar.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So that's what a dwarven pin-up girl looks like. :P

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hey.

Testing notes down to 2.

And look what a guy from pixeljoint can do with my sprites:
    mikemayday_dwarf_edit.png

He's soooo good.

Mayday on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh god. Bay 12 Games will be going down soon.

Once that game is released: Servers=HURK dead.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mayday wrote: »
    Hey.

Testing notes down to 2.

And look what a guy from pixeljoint can do with my sprites:
    mikemayday_dwarf_edit.png

He's soooo good.

He stole and reversed your sprites?

Ugh, what a dickweed

Vic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm not even sure if you're being sarcastic meh.gif

Mayday on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, he really packed alot of extra detail into those. Do you think he'd do a whole set?

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    They look great, but the issue I have with them, is that too much detail makes sprites less recognizable from each other. Hard to say if it would happen with these, but they do look brilliant.

Rhan9 on