As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Eighth Republican Debate: It's just straight ethanol at this point.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited February 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Wa7vNOQ.png
Just the facts, ma'am.

8pm EST on ABC, with a stream via http://abcnews.go.com/

There is also no undercard tonight, thank god.

Where is it?

Somewhere in New Hampshire, naturally.

Why is this debate important?

The NH primary is next week, and now that we've had one caucus the candidates have some kind of primary performance to defend.

Who is moderating?

David Muir and Martha Raddatz will be the ones allowing the candidates to speak over their allotted.

Tonight's Players

YDJrdHC.png
Trump is still riding high nationally despite his loss in Iowa. This does mean the man's ego has taken a serious blow, and I expect that his rivals will constantly allude to Iowa should Trump try to bloviate. The fact that Trump is showing up at all is either a sign that he feels maybe skipping the last debate hurt him a bit in Iowa, or he just really wants to tweak Fox's nose. Either way, expect Trump to brush off Iowa and constantly point at his his national lead.

qYb8TQ8.png
Cruz will probably have an ego tonight. His blurb is basically the opposite of Trump's: he's going to bring up Iowa a lot and remind Trump that he is not as invulnerable as he thinks. I expect these two to butt heads a LOT over the course of the evening, as they are shaping up to be the major horse race of this fight. Also the mainstream Republicans are really laying into Trump now, giving Cruz a nice advantage. Unless Cruz drops the ball, this could be a lengthy primary.

ceZfmAL.png
Rubio is still holding firm as the Establishment Pick, and will likely keep serving as the safe and reliable conservative alternative to Beavis and Butthead up there. He has been going up in the polls, and I think that trend will continue as more conventional Republicans drop out and their supporters find Rubio to be the only real option. People don't mention that Rubio was less than a percent behind Trump in Iowa, so he is still a contender.

g9MyQTU.png
Carson has been slowly falling in the polls. Much like his energy in a debate, Carson's numbers are rather boring and slowly going down over time. At this point I think Trump and Cruz have simply beat him out for the "fringe asshole" category, and the public just can't juggle three people like this. Chances are Carson will just fade out over time and quietly drop out later this month, but he has had spikes in the past so who can say for sure. Expect Carson to whine for more airtime.

JiWFJ3p.png
Bush is, I dunno. I think he's in some kind of fugue state or his brain hasn't yet realized what's going on; rather than being one of the top threats, Jeb has polling numbers typically reserved for better-known perennial candidates or small-name candidates. Jeb's numbers have been practically the same for the past month, which is not good when you're fifth place. And Trump has this tendency to walk all over Jeb, so I fail to see how the poor guy is going to stand out at all with the Donald present at this debate.

e6hoHLk.png
Christie is polling almost the same as Huckabee, whom has dropped out after Iowa. And Christie also had the same results in Iowa as Huckabee, so...you do the match. Expect Christie to continue his strategy of "Find a way to bash Hillary in literally every response to a question." as he desperately tries to pander to the conservative crowd.

7GPBv4N.png
John Kasich balanced the budget.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Is...

Is Trump just sucking sideways on a corn cob?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's either this, or The Revenant. I'll decide later.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think that Iowa corn really stuck in his craw.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Oh, those well-known bleeding-heart liberals at ABC

:rotate:

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    It's either this, or The Revenant. I'll decide later.

Ugh I don't know if I could stand to watch a bear try to maul someone to death and Christie is pretty far down in the polls so maybe the movies are a better play

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Let's get ready to rumble!

On a serious note, no kiddie table debate from now on, thank God.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    My prediction is that Rubio is now in the spotlight and he has a decent chance of crashing and burning. He doesn't have the alpha vibe Republicans crave and he doesn't seem that quick on his feet. I think this is why Christie and Kasich are hanging around.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Oh god, there's another debate already?

I only now just got over the hangover from the last one.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Christie, Kasich and Bush are probably gonna come hard at Rubio tonight. There can be only one establishment pick that eventually loses to Cruz or Trump, and they want to be it. They've got literally everything riding on a strong New Hampshire finish.

• Options
    Well, Carson has been going heavily against Cruz for saying that Carson dropped out, and Christie has been all "Move aside, BOY" against Rubio, so the debate favors Trump since Jeb! and Kasich are proven to be non factors against him. Or in general.

But, let's see what happens now that the stakes are higher.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What the actual fuck is that picture at the top of the OP? Am I being Poe'd?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What the actual fuck is that picture at the top of the OP? Am I being Poe'd?
    It's a sincere political cartoon, and I believe Cruz has even mentioned one of his cartoons at a debate.

It is not poe: Branco is just a really, really gullible tea party dupe.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    ceZfmAL.png
    Rubio is still holding firm as the Establishment Pick, and will likely keep serving as the safe and reliable conservative alternative to Beavis and Butthead up there. He has been going up in the polls, and I think that trend will continue as more conventional Republicans drop out and their supporters find Rubio to be the only real option. People don't mention that Rubio was less than a percent behind Trump in Iowa, so he is still a contender.

I first read that as Establishment Prick.
    And saw nothing wrong with it, then after few seconds i went "wait what?" and reread.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Technically not wrong.

• Options
    Carson is on fire:

Praying on Twitter must be the most pretentious thing ever.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

This man is second place in a race to be the nominee for the President of the United States of America

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    Technically not wrong.

I would argue that both can only occur together.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well this bodes well for debate coverage.

Talking about NH the talking head starts out "There is only about a million" pause while somebody shouts on her ear piece "three million people in the state."

Well I feel like they'll provide excellent analysis.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I think I watched a Dem debate about a month ago. Time to be fair and do the same for the Republicans.

... whelp.

mxDlIS0l.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Well this bodes well for debate coverage.

Talking about NH the talking head starts out "There is only about a million" pause while somebody shouts on her ear piece "three million people in the state."

Well I feel like they'll provide excellent analysis.

I bet they talk about the undeclared voters with no realization that all but ~5% have strong partisan leans. It's the same in Massachusetts- there's no downtime to being undeclared

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    t8N1OCyl.jpg

Tonight is all about quantity, not quality.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

This man is second place in a race to be the nominee for the President of the United States of America

Backpfeifengesicht

• Options
    So ABC wants to put a shitty frame around the video that makes it so it isn't full screen. They do helpfully provide the embed code which contains that fullscreen URL because they're gifted at this internet thing.

Here it is:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/embed?id=14476486

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So ABC wants to put a shitty frame around the video that makes it so it isn't full screen. They do helpfully provide the embed code which contains that fullscreen URL because they're gifted at this internet thing.

Here it is:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/embed?id=14476486

Shame it doesn't get rid of the internet-only commentary...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Gator was warned for this.
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Carson is on fire:

Praying on Twitter must be the most pretentious thing ever.

I vaguely remember Herman Cain back on early '12

Everyone was going on and on about how he was an African American Republican candidate

This has not happened with Ben Carson

My theory
    HE IS SUCH A FLAMING DOUCHEBAG HE IS THE REVERSE OF SAMUEL L JACKSON OR MAGIC JOHNSON WHEREIN EVERYONE FORGETS HE IS AFRICAN AMERICAN GODDAMMIT WHAT A DOUCHEBAG

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Rubio won the straw poll in the room with free pizza but Trump got the loudest cheers in the actual debate hall.

Not sure what to draw from this except the commentators couldn't figure out the difference.

• Options
    What the hell, JEB!?

• Options
    Jeb on predebate ritual: "I call my Mom".

Seriously.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    These openings. Holy shit. Plants vs Zombies? Call's his mom for advice?

• Options
    What the hell was that intro video.

What do you do before a debate?

Jeb! Bush: "I call my mom for advice!" (How are you so bad at this Jeb!?)
    Ben "Psycopath" Carson: "I take all the little pieces of paper people write their advice to me on and I light them on fire."

• Options
    Sticks wrote: »
    These openings. Holy shit. Plants vs Zombies? Call's his mom for advice?

Carson wins with his burnt offering unto the Lord.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ben Carson gets pieces of paper with things people have written to him or for him on them and burns them

Seriously that's a thing I just watched him say

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Bill Kristol rivals Ted Cruz for "world's most punchable face".

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    If Ted Cruz didn't have the most punchable face, William 'The Bloody' Kristol would certainly be in the running.

• Options
    You know what else Carson is burning through for no reason whatsoever?

His campaign funds

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Ben Carson gets pieces of paper with things people have written to him or for him on them and burns them

I swear the only reason Carson looks so sleepy all the time is that if he loses his calm for only a mere second, he'll go full psycho murder on everyone in the room.

EDIT: I'm just saying, after what Cruz did to Carson in Iowa, I'd wear a belt with a large belt buckle if I were him.

notdroid on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Bill Kristol rivals Ted Cruz for "world's most punchable face".

I dunno, he may be second, but it's an extremely distant second

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    notdroid wrote: »

I swear the only reason Carson looks so sleepy all the time is that if he loses his calm for only a mere second, he'll go full psycho murder on everyone in the room.

Unfortunately for him, everybody in the room is wearing a belt

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Tweets per minute is something we care about now? That's it. Elect Trump. Burn the world.

• Options

It's...kind of a religious thing. He's probably using the whole Ash Wednesday thing as a way to offer up these apparent blessings as prayers to god.

It doesn't make it any less weird.

This discussion has been closed.