Options

Ooooliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England (and his [Chat])

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Due to a time traveling incident, my daughter is actually older than I am.

We still remember your excel questions from yesterday old man.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    hmm extra credits says game design degrees suck for employment (who woulda thought) and suggests liberal arts for game design

what's wrong with just computer science degree for game design

Design not programming.

So they are probably talking about story design, project management, art design, and a lot of the general knowledge stuff that goes into a liberal arts degree.

Computer science is more focused on a different aspect of game design.

I would probably say maybe one with a minor in the other based on your preferences.

People poo poo liberal arts are around here but there are a lot of skills that you pick up when you are researching and writing constantly in an academic setting.

Well okay outside your strange microcosm of terrible.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Smartphone are no good for reading large amounts.

Ink or eink only.

Nah. I've read a ton on the iPad and recently have started not even carrying that around and reading on my phone. It's not my favorite way to read, but it works fine.

yeah if you need to kill 10-15 minutes, it's fine

I actually just read a 1000-page book on it. I was at an airport and wanted to find the paper version, but couldn't. Said fuck it and bought it on amazon and just read it on the kindle app.

I never would have considered it on older iPhones, but the 6 screen is big enough that I didn't mind it and was fine reading for long stretches. It kind of surprised me.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I bought a smartphone today during lunch. Welcome to the new millenium, luddite self.

Will learn how to use it tonight ideally.

I remember the times before my smartphone.

I was stubborn.

It is revolutionary.

Yeah, I didn't want one really, but I was finally convinced (by playing Life is strange...) that I want to actually take photos sometimes, and a smartphone will enable that.
    Plus I want to coordinate with you guys during PAX.

and look up directions
    and check your bank balances
    and deposit checks
    and play games while waiting on someone/something
    etc

look up directions= yes
    check bank balance=maybe, depending on whether it's more streamlined on the phone
    deposit checks=yes
    play games while waiting=no; this is the #1 reason I didn't/don't want a smartphone. Idling time is reserved for reading a book or for letting my mind wander and I really don't want to change that.

Read books on your phone.

No. I don't intend to read books in format other than paper. Definitely not on a tiny smartphone screen.

Making a list of the things you'll never do is just listing out the things you'll eventually do.

eh. I'll change my mind on this issue if my sense of aesthetics change or if paper books become unavailable or if some day I want to go on a trip where I think I will read a lot but it will be inconvenient to bring books. Barring those circumstances, I really don't anticipate a change in the medium I use to read.

*lugs around 100 lb copy of Infinite Jest; questions life choices*

You could carry around a few ounces and have access to a library! Kindle is amazing!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    If I went to pax I should probably cosplay as an anime league of legends female champion, right?

I suggest Zyra.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Coinage wrote: »
    hmm extra credits says game design degrees suck for employment (who woulda thought) and suggests liberal arts for game design

Not having watched it, I assume part of it is so you don't get stuck slinging code because you're good at it, and part of it is post hoc because the famous game designers got liberal arts degrees, except they also went to college when CS programs were almost pure math.

hmm I think I get it

I think I can agree with them a bit then, universities need a new degree that's kind of like MIS, only basically a pure math/liberal arts degree was the suggestion

yeah I could get behind that

override367 on
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Smartphone are no good for reading large amounts.

Ink or eink only.

Nah. I've read a ton on the iPad and recently have started not even carrying that around and reading on my phone. It's not my favorite way to read, but it works fine.

yeah if you need to kill 10-15 minutes, it's fine

I actually just read a 1000-page book on it. I was at an airport and wanted to find the paper version, but couldn't. Said fuck it and bought it on amazon and just read it on the kindle app.

I never would have considered it on older iPhones, but the 6 screen is big enough that I didn't mind it and was fine reading for long stretches. It kind of surprised me.

Yeah we own a kindle so it's no big. The 5s is just too small to do it longer than maybe a half hour at a time.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    You guys realize that we can't stop the clock but we can try to stay relevant right? Today it's not using a smart phone, tomorrow it's "I don't trust this new neurojack stuff! Back in my day we had LCD Screens!"
    i don't own a smartphone and i'm the youngest

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Design not programming.

So they are probably talking about story design, project management, art design, and a lot of the general knowledge stuff that goes into a liberal arts degree.

I would probably say maybe one with a minor in the other based on your preferences.

People poo poo liberal arts are around here but there are a lot of skills that you pick up when you are researching and writing constantly in an academic setting.

on the contrary the liberal arts classes I've taken have been the most fulfilling of my education and I wish I could've gotten a degree in history or something

but I got a mountain of debt to pay off so I had to go for this shitty MIS degree which hopefully pays off

override367 on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Extra Credits last episode where they came down on the narrative of The Division was pretty interesting.

I don't know anything about the game to agree or disagree. But I found the topic thought provoking at least.

• Options
    The biggest problem I have with reading on my phone isn't the screen, it's that it's a device that does a million other things and it's too easy to get distracted. I'd consider a Kindle, but then that's *another* device to remember to bring and to charge and everything. I guess I can problem live with just not toting around an iPad any more.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I bought a smartphone today during lunch. Welcome to the new millenium, luddite self.

I was stubborn.

It is revolutionary.

Yeah, I didn't want one really, but I was finally convinced (by playing Life is strange...) that I want to actually take photos sometimes, and a smartphone will enable that.

and look up directions
    and deposit checks
    etc

look up directions= yes
    check bank balance=maybe, depending on whether it's more streamlined on the phone
    deposit checks=yes
    play games while waiting=no; this is the #1 reason I didn't/don't want a smartphone. Idling time is reserved for reading a book or for letting my mind wander and I really don't want to change that.

My favorite aspect of having a smartphone is just using it as an external brain.

An interesting idea comes to mind but I don't have the time or attention to flesh it out further, I can type a couple of words into Evernote about it for later.
    I can save articles and links to books to read later
    If I'm having a conversation and there's some bit of knowledge that nobody can remember ("when exactly was Andrew Jackson put on the $20 bill anyway?"), we can immediately look it up.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Is Zyra plant lady? Ahri is cat. Riven is sword. Poopy is small.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The topic title "Lew planning to Announce Tubman on $20" is perfectly pitched to be utterly incomprehensible to me

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    How do you even not have a smartphone after about 2008

I feel like you have to try

uh 2008 was the very begging on the smartphone race

iphone 1 was june 2007, android G1 was september 2008

and iphone 1 doesn't really count, it was garbo

iphone 3G was june 2008

basically, smartphones? thanks obama

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    You guys realize that we can't stop the clock but we can try to stay relevant right? Today it's not using a smart phone, tomorrow it's "I don't trust this new neurojack stuff! Back in my day we had LCD Screens!"
    But...you're an anime. What anime doesn't have a pink waifu phone?

• Options

I was stubborn.

It is revolutionary.

and look up directions
    and deposit checks
    etc

look up directions= yes
    deposit checks=yes

No. I don't intend to read books in format other than paper. Definitely not on a tiny smartphone screen.

Making a list of the things you'll never do is just listing out the things you'll eventually do.

eh. I'll change my mind on this issue if my sense of aesthetics change or if paper books become unavailable or if some day I want to go on a trip where I think I will read a lot but it will be inconvenient to bring books. Barring those circumstances, I really don't anticipate a change in the medium I use to read.

You could carry around a few ounces and have access to a library! Kindle is amazing!

If I didn't also want to have books as physical objects in my house, then sure. But I really like them as items of decoration and comfort, as well as a sort of identity signifier.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Design not programming.

on the contrary the liberal arts classes I've taken have been the most fulfilling of my education and I wish I could've gotten a degree in history or something

but I got a mountain of debt to pay off so I had to go for this shitty MIS degree which hopefully pays off

Looks at his really cushy well paying job with his double major in history and Asian studies.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Miss Fortune is pirate slut. Ashe is archer slut. Akali is ninja slut. Sona is qwe-smash pigtails.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Ahri is a fox you heathen

• Options
    fake anime guy

• Options

I was stubborn.

It is revolutionary.

and look up directions
    and deposit checks
    etc

look up directions= yes
    deposit checks=yes

If I didn't also want to have books as physical objects in my house, then sure. But I really like them as items of decoration and comfort, as well as a sort of identity signifier.

we have both ;)

• Options

Zyra is plant lady.

Ahri is fox, not cat. Nidalee is cat.

Other costumes recommended to you include I think Janna (is tornados) and perhaps Miss Fortune (is boobs)

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

It ain't Pink. But I definitely have a sexy anime wallpaper from Tenjou Tenge on my phone.

/card carrying anime

• Options
    edited April 2016
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Extra Credits last episode where they came down on the narrative of The Division was pretty interesting.

I don't know anything about the game to agree or disagree. But I found the topic thought provoking at least.

that episode was so laughable

"I was just TOLD these people stole drugs"
    *walking over the dead bodies of the aid workers they murdered to get the drugs*
    "And they were just standing there and the game encouraged me to shoot them"
    *bad guys all holding rifles or pistols talking about how they stole these drugs to get high, if the player doesn't engage them they will engage the player*

drawing a line from real world police violence to a post apocalyptic FEMA situation is crazy right wing nonsense, the concept of "American Citizen" is practically meaningless in the division because of the level of devastation that's occurred, and then they go on to say "well the plot of a virus being that devastating is unrealistic anyway"

I get it guys you don't like Tom Clancy games, yeah the story is unrealistic of course it is, gangs and Republicans aren't going to form armies to oppose the US army during a pandemic, but you wouldn't have much of a game if they didn't

my only real criticism of the division on that front is the same as in every other shooter: the enemies never surrender or drop their guns and run away, every one of them is a suicidal zealot

edit: the division actually does not allow you to harm unarmed civilians, you literally can't shoot them

override367 on
  • Options
    Ah right Ahri is Vulpix. Sorry.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    sometimes the books I want to read aren't the books I want to have as identity signifiers

same with movies. I'll own physical copies of my favorite movies that I'll want to watch again and again, but sometimes I just want to consume a movie once to get the cultural relevance and never go back to it

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

I was stubborn.

It is revolutionary.

and look up directions
    and deposit checks
    etc

look up directions= yes
    deposit checks=yes

I go through a weird mental dance these days whenever I want to read a book on whether to get a physical or digital copy. If I think it's the kind of book I may want to lend to someone or that I'm eager to have on a shelf because I'm vain and it makes me feel better about myself, I'm more likely to get a physical copy. I also try to stick with one format or the other for series, except i keep breaking that rule for convenience.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I was stubborn.

It is revolutionary.

and look up directions
    and deposit checks
    etc

look up directions= yes
    deposit checks=yes

My favorite aspect of having a smartphone is just using it as an external brain.

An interesting idea comes to mind but I don't have the time or attention to flesh it out further, I can type a couple of words into Evernote about it for later.
    I can save articles and links to books to read later
    If I'm having a conversation and there's some bit of knowledge that nobody can remember ("when exactly was Andrew Jackson put on the $20 bill anyway?"), we can immediately look it up.

There's an interesting exploration of this in Accelerando
    the main character is mugged for his gear and the result is a "who am I and what am I doing here" level of amnesia until he can start piecing things back together

• Options
    ron you could cosplay as either lady fortune or gragas

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @credeiki if you buy an otterbox buy a commuter or the new smaller one. The defender is an oversized mess

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I moved about a dozen times before I decided that physical books were highly overrated

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

I thought it was a bit hyperbolic, but overall I'd agree.

• Options
    or better yet, cosplay as one of drunken master's offensive alternate costumes

• Options
    ron you could cosplay as either lady fortune or gragas

... cosplay as Gragas? *puts down giant jug*

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Due to a time traveling incident, my daughter is actually older than I am.

We still remember your excel questions from yesterday old man.

wtf is this betrayal
    no one was supposed to ever mention that again.
    I am hurt
    so hurt

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    sometimes the books I want to read aren't the books I want to have as identity signifiers

same with movies. I'll own physical copies of my favorite movies that I'll want to watch again and again, but sometimes I just want to consume a movie once to get the cultural relevance and never go back to it

Yeah, then I go to the library. Still don't have a dc library card though, gotta get on that cause I live near the library--but husband lives near the Philly main library which is totally amazing so I kinda don't need my local one...

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I moved about a dozen times before I decided that physical books were highly overrated

On my 4th move in 5 years, I kind of want to toss all my novels, but on the other hand I definitely want an in-wall bookcase library room when I do finally buy a house.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I also am likely to get annoyed when the digital copies are more expensive than the physical ones.

Stupid books.

• Options

Zyra is plant lady.

Ahri is fox, not cat. Nidalee is cat.

Other costumes recommended to you include I think Janna (is tornados) and perhaps Miss Fortune (is boobs)

forecast janna is one of my favorite skins

enthusiastic weather girl-chan

This discussion has been closed.