As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer doesn't recognize cds

Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime afWhen's KoFRegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, I got laptop problems. My DVD/CD-RW drive doesn't recognize any disks I put in there. Whether it be cds, data disks or anything, it doesn't want to believe that I put a disk inside it. Im at a loss as to what the hell is going on. Any suggestions?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
Folken Fanel on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can you hear the drive spin at all?

I really don't have much to contribute - but that could rule out if its a physical problem.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can hear it spinning, but it doesnt spin for more than a few seconds at a time. It spins, gives up, tries again, and stops, etc.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is the drive removable? If so, remove it (powered off of course) and reinstall it. Possibly the connection has loosened.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey, this happened to me too, but it could still read DVDs. Can yours? If so, when I took mine to a computer guy, he said it was a weird problem, he had no idea how to fix it, and eventually I just left (without paying anything, btw). Basically, if you have the same problem as I did, NOTHING CAN SAVE YOU NOW! Do what I did, and buy an external drive.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does your drive still show up under "My Computer" (I'm assuming you're on Windows)?

If it does then it's probably gone out and you'll need a new drive. If it doesn't then it's a simple registry error caused by a program that was installed.

If the drive doesn't show up under "My Computer" then open the registry editor:

Start->Run->regedit

Find the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

And delete the following keys:
    "Upperfilters", "Lowerfilters"

Restart the computer.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hey, this happened to me too, but it could still read DVDs. Can yours? If so, when I took mine to a computer guy, he said it was a weird problem, he had no idea how to fix it, and eventually I just left (without paying anything, btw). Basically, if you have the same problem as I did, NOTHING CAN SAVE YOU NOW! Do what I did, and buy an external drive.

Holy shit, it does read dvds. Why the hell would this happen? Certainly there has to be some way to fix this...

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Holy shit, it does read dvds. Why the hell would this happen? Certainly there has to be some way to fix this...

This is a laser problem. The drive will need to be replaced if you want full functionality.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Shitcock, I was afraid of that. Thanks all.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited November 2007
    ...which begs the question, where do I go about replacing this drive for my laptop?

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think that easiest solution is what I said earlier: buy an external one. I got a really good little DVD burner + box for AU$100, and just plug it into USB and power whenever I want to use it. You could get the drive replaced, but... I'm guessing if you got this problem, your computer is fairly old, right? That means that, sometime in the near future, you might want to replace it, right? If so, this is the easiest way to do it, and if you replace the laptop with a desktop, your external box need not be external anymore.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Correct. I have been meaning to get a new laptop soon anyway. Its just that money's tight as a grad student, but then again being a grad student means I might need a cd-rom drive from time to time. Oh well. Thanks.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate: