As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How would you feel if I turned reactions off for a while?

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited June 2016 in Social Entropy++
Reactions being agree/awesome etc. You would no longer get points and shit. There would be no leaderboard.

Tube on

How would you feel if I turned reactions off for a while? 461 votes

That sounds great
11%
SporkAndrewKai_SanThe WolfmanJasconiusRiemannLivesDodgeBlanLudiousbowenTrustAtari SoulbloodyroarxxClint EastwoodWaltjaredburtonDeath of RatsKwoarurhylithErlkingjkylefultonP10 51 votes
That sounds awful
55%
WhippyMachwingThe GeekScooterBarcardiNothingMacro9MulletudeBogeyPMAversRoyceSraphimMunkus BeaverMysstBionicPenguinschussButlerSyphonBlueMulysaSemproniusToxRaijin Quickfoot 254 votes
I am ambivalent about reactions
33%
denihilistPenguin IncarnateLord DavewebberDarmakInvisibleInkCaptain UltraElkiAshcroftMojo_JojoTheBlackWindInquisitorKevin CristGarthorHouk the NamebringerResIpsaLoquiturKnobAl_wataltlat55Alistair Hutton 156 votes

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    I wouldn't mind the leader board/points going but I really like being able to show my agreement/support without making a full post that says "yes I agree"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I like reactions--I actually find myself wishing there were Agree and Awesome buttons on my other computer-based chats--but I'd probably be fine if we didn't have them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    For how long would it be off? would there be replacements if they came back?
    I don't care about the leaderboard, I know people post certain things just to get them or farm them

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    There's a leaderboard?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    it wouldn't bother me much if they were turned off, but I do like how the agree button cuts down on "I agree with this post" posts so I'll say That Would Be Awful

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    That sounds awful
    I could take or leave leaderboards.

But I do agree with Chincy on this one. I like being able to show my appreciation of a post's content quickly without cluttering up a thread if I have nothing else to contribute.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    That sounds awful
    I'm in the No Leaderboards, Yes Reactions group

Honestly I don't even remember the tallies are there until someone brings them up.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    That sounds great
    I think removing them sounds excellent. Far too many times it's people posting 'I agree with our posts' with everyone hitting agree or awesome on each others posts in a big jerking chain anyway.

May as well cut out one aspect of that. Also people might actually think about posts a bit more if they don't automatically know whats the most accepted/unaccepted posts. Because things like Witness Me are definitely used negatively anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That sounds awful
    I voted awful but it wouldn't be a big deal. I think they're fun but definitely not necessary.

• Options
    That sounds awful
    I think removing them sounds excellent. Far too many times it's people posting 'I agree with our posts' with everyone hitting agree or awesome on each others posts in a big jerking chain anyway.

May as well cut out one aspect of that. Also people might actually think about posts a bit more if they don't automatically know whats the most accepted/unaccepted posts. Because things like Witness Me are definitely used negatively anyway.

I will concede this point: sometimes I find myself skimming threads and stopping on the posts with many reactions of some kind or another. That does feel slightly uncomfortably Reddit/imgur-y, where only the "worthy" posts get much visibility.
    With that said, I don't think reactions significantly detract from other posts, which keeps them in the "useful" category, in my opinion.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That sounds great
    Only one reaction and it is the heart without any text saying what it is.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016

I'm confused by basically all of this. Especially the Witness Me thing, I've only ever seen it used positively. But yeah, leadership boards are wev but I like the way reactions give you a quick way to respond to a post even if you don't have anything pertinent to add. "Bro" was particularly handy.

tynic on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    update the reactions for the election
    1. Agree
    2. Awesome
    3. Low Energy
    4. Delete Your Account

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That sounds awful

I think people disagree with you because they actually disagree with you, not because they are being tricked by gamified reaction buttons

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    I wouldn't especially like going back to people quoting a post repeatedly only adding "This" or a variation of it to the bottom.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Really if we could just bring back the "Bro" reaction I'd never need or want to see any other shakeup in the reaction selection.

Bro really tied the reactions together.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    Quid wrote: »
    I wouldn't especially like going back to people quoting a post repeatedly only adding "This" or a variation of it to the bottom.

Limed fo– nah, I can't even do this ironically.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    I like them, but aside from the Agree and Awesome, the others are a bit hard keep track of in my mind.

• Options
    That sounds awful
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Really if we could just bring back the "Bro" reaction I'd never need or want to see any other shakeup in the reaction selection.

Bro really tied the reactions together.

Agree
    Awesome
    Bro
    That's just, like, your opinion, man

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    I voted "Please don't take them away" but it was labeled a little more aggressively than I really feel.

I think the Fury Road ones could take a break, but that's just cuz I want to see something else fill that space. I miss the Bro buttons.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    The loss of tallies/leaderboards is a positive if anything, but more likely a resounding meh.

I do agree that the reactions themselves are nice to give a voice to times when you don't really have anything else to say besides 'I agree!' or what have you.

I also agree that they can have less than great side effects to let a lot of other posts get glossed over, though I couldn't begin to guess how often it actually happens, myself.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm all for just keeping "Agree" and "awesome" The other ones are contextually ambiguous, (Which I think was the point), but kind of wore out their welcome. If it's becoming an e-penis thing where we have people waving numbers around as if it's some kind of contest, just hide the numbers. Agree and Awesome add to the conversation and prevents "me too" posts, that can get a little cancerous.

Also, it amuses me when Tube locks a thread and I see the reactions continue to accumulate after the lock. I imagine tubes slow, resigned sigh, as idiotic little faces appear after he's had a final say.

halkun on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    The novelty ones should probably take a break unless a truly amazing/terrible joke presents itself

Agree needs to stay, i could maaaaaaaaaaaybe see awesome going away? I'd still miss it for a while but it wouldn't actually deprive the forums of a super useful function nearly as much.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    Reactions are great for h/a in particular.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I topped the leaderboard for a while
    It's served its purpose

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    My personal vote would be for getting rid of the sillier, seasonal reactions like Shiny, Witness Me, Hail Hydra, etc. They don't really add much but clutter, personally.

Agree and Awesome are useful in terms of cutting down "Limed for truth" style posts. Though I could see an argument for getting rid of them as they cut into actual conversation in some ways.

Not a big concern either way though, personally.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    That sounds awful
    "Bro" or something similar that says "I empathize with your comment and feel your pain"

Bro specifically I'm not keen on, but I like how we've managed to sort of annex a reaction each time they change to be for that purpose (that's what I see Witness Me used for most often)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    I wouldn't mind the leader board/points going but I really like being able to show my agreement/support without making a full post that says "yes I agree"

Yeah I agree with this

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    That sounds awful
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It's served its purpose

Let's just turn Grey Ghost off for a while

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I like reactions a lot. I think agree is useful for cutting down on posts saying "I agree!" and I enjoy the silly reactions whenever they get added, but it wouldn't bother me much if they were gone either.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I think the leaderboard is harmless and it's provided me literal minutes of enjoyment when I am bored as shit and have nothing better to do than see what other people on a specific site of the internet think is 'awesome.'

If it went away I would be very slightly saddened. If other people think it's a problem, though, I'm not attached to it.

Reaction buttons themselves I like.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    It's served its purpose

Bro...

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It's served its purpose

Bro...

Now I super miss the Bro reactions

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    That sounds awful
    they live on through emoticons :bro:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That sounds awful
    It's served its purpose

Bro...
    :hydra:

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    +1 get rid of leaderboards, keep agree, awesome and bro-like sympathy/empathy reactions

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    That sounds awful
    I'm in the "yeah to reactions, no to leader board" crowd. And Fury Road was great and all, but it's been a year, so we could use an update. Maybe switch the silly ones every six months or so.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    If "Witness Me" didn't exist, how else would one respond to most posts in the Bad Food Thread?

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Ah, you know, whatever.

Still, it'd be nice to know how my cat picture is doing.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I feel the fear that people will just post 'yes I agree with this post' is toothless, who here would honestly do that themself? We would just internally agree with a post, or post a reply if we feel there's more to say on the topic

My own criticism of removing reactions is removing a method of communication for people who don't post as often. Some of these threads get super buddy buddy and move so quickly anybody not in the circle have a hard time keeping up. Being able to just plop down reactions while catching up to conversations allows partial participation

At the same time feelings of cliques are enhanced when you notice which people react to only specific other people, or feelings of isolation when your post gets minimal reactions and the post below yours of just somebody saying 'fart' gets the whole forum behind it

I feel it grants a nuance to communication via forums you can't get otherwise, but it does make us lazier when participating in conversations

VRXwDW7.png