Options

First [Presidential Debate] Monday Sept 26, 9 PM EST at Hostra University

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    My only beef with Hillary is that she pointed out a lot of things Trump did in the 70s through the 90s that were shitty and she's not exactly squeaky clean in that era either.
    Such as? Which ones are you specifically concerned about?

In the past specifically things like Whitewater which aren't even mentioned now but at the time were on the scale of Watergate for Nixon back when Bill was in office. The only reason he wasn't hung out to dry over that and Monica was because he was extremely JFK level charismatic and the budget got balanced (which would have happened anyway) and he got the credit for it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't explicitly dislike the Clintons, they're good people for the most part. They both have a habit of fucking over the military though, as a proven track record, and I don't really trust a presidential candidate that doesn't have the support of the troops. That's just my opinion since you asked.

I think she's a better choice than Trump any day whether I like her or not, but she needs to hit him where it counts. She let him run over her with his "her experience is BAD experience" remarks. She needs to get out in front of that shit, prove the decisions she made were for the greater good, and grill him on how her "bad experience" is "learning experience" of which he has none.

Again, just .02

Whitewater has been rehashed so many times that it's practically a joke at this point. In all those years of witch-hunting, no investigator was ever able to find any evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the Clintons, and in this country, you are innocent until proven guilty.

No Democrat will ever have "the support of the troops", in part because the military recruits heavily from R-leaning areas, in part because of decades of bullshit rhetoric that "Dems are weak liberal pansies" with no basis in reality. That said, last I checked, Hilary was currently holding more endorsements from current and former officers, as well as security officials. She also actually has plans to support the military and veterans, in great detail (like everything else under the sun), all on her website.

If you want to disagree with her policy, by all means. I'm not saying you have to like her ideas. I just ask that you tell me what aspects of it you don't like, whether you think Trump's policies (ha!) are better on those points, and don't let yourself be swayed by decades of baseless character assassination.

Sure, first off, I've said numerous times I DON'T appreciate Trump, his policies, his lifestyle choices, or his hairstyle. Let's get that in the open. I've never once supported Trump or stated an intent to vote for the bastard.

Second, let's take a moment to understand that not everyone on these forums has to fucking love Hillary Clinton. Some of us don't, but we're still willing to vote to put her in office to make sure a madman doesn't get the comfy leather chair. I get tired of seeing anytime ANYONE says the slightest thing about Clinton, it's pages and pages of "well that was disproved, that was disproved, that was disproved, etc"

It's great they were cleared of Whitewater and someone else took the blame. It's great that she simply admitted to the e-mails as being a "mistake" and it's done because she was cleared, it's great that no one talked about Benghazi and she was cleared there as well, but you know there's only so many times someone can either fuck up or be accused of fucking up before I lose confidence in them. I've personally reached my limit with her. I think she's incredibly smart, I think she cares more about civil rights than any of our past five presidents (aside from Obama), and I think generally she can do a lot to help our country as a whole to heal itself. For that she has my vote. I still don't trust her farther than I can lift and throw her and I think her geopolitical abilities aren't grand. Hopefully though that'll be remedied by advisors she'd listen to, unlike Trump. Again, she's got my vote, I don't trust her.

I don't like her stance on 2A. I don't like her tax plan because I don't think she has a chance in hell of getting it to pass. I also hope to God she wins this election because if she doesn't we're in for a bigger world of shit than we would be without her.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Noone seems to be reporting his Rosie O'Donnell comment which seemed incredibly mean spirited and petty

I think they've been distracted by his post-debate comments about Miss Venezuela, which are "well she DID gain a lot of weight and it was a huge problem!" and "she had a bad attitude!" That and the constant interrupting have been the main thrust of comments I've seen on his misogyny. Poor Rosie has been lost in the mix.

Yeah he was just called a misogynist to his face, and his defense is that hey she's awful because she dared to gain weight, that bitch

Fox and Friends apparently kept trying to save him from the topic but he insisted on talking about it

This is the visual representation of an exhausted "Well, shit."

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It's a little unprofessional, but the chuckle from the reporters was pretty great.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Anyone with a bunch of conservative FB friends, able to give me a feel on what is going on there. My feed's were pretty quite last night, but there are only a couple of them. The best crazy I knew blocked me, after people started calling him out for posting a bunch of racist[like stormfront racist not like off color joke racist]/homophobic bullshit.

Throwing these under spoiler, but basically "wharglebargl emails"
    b7lt55kiwcir.jpg
    sqh9cdxctagc.jpg
    nazbs5uw88fk.jpg
    jo8o8m64ohe5.jpg

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I don't explicitly dislike the Clintons, they're good people for the most part. They both have a habit of fucking over the military though, as a proven track record, and I don't really trust a presidential candidate that doesn't have the support of the troops. That's just my opinion since you asked.

I had a Coastie at work throw this out and I couldn't get anything out of him besides the fact that the overall number of service members shrank while he was in office - which typically means guys get run out based on flimsy BS - but he also cites this as a reason why Obama was bad for the military. Is there anything actually noteworthy that Clinton did while in office to earn this ire?

During Bill's admin the overall size of the military was shrunk. Has been continuing since. When I or others say some people don't understand force projection, this is kind of it.

Also, democrats hate the military dontchaknow.

Yeah, that is the gripe I was stating was put forward - I don't endorse it, but I am passingly familiar with the way the military has dealt with shrinking through "attrition" and get why some people feel burned by the process. But I fully endorse that it was something that needed to happen and in that specific time frame, since the whole Cold War ending thing was going on.

I was asking if there is an actual grievance that is in itself a legitimate gripe. Like soldiers being wronged wholesale.

No.

They saw jobs being lost and didn't understand fully why. And at a time when all you heard was how much dems hate the military.

Kind if like what Trump is doing know, actually.

But there is no specific thing to actually rally around. Anything you might hear will ultimately be anecdotal to specific individuals.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    but you know there's only so many times someone can either fuck up or be accused of fucking up before I lose confidence in them.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why ratfucking works.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    My only beef with Hillary is that she pointed out a lot of things Trump did in the 70s through the 90s that were shitty and she's not exactly squeaky clean in that era either.

In the past specifically things like Whitewater which aren't even mentioned now but at the time were on the scale of Watergate for Nixon back when Bill was in office. The only reason he wasn't hung out to dry over that and Monica was because he was extremely JFK level charismatic and the budget got balanced (which would have happened anyway) and he got the credit for it.

I think she's a better choice than Trump any day whether I like her or not, but she needs to hit him where it counts. She let him run over her with his "her experience is BAD experience" remarks. She needs to get out in front of that shit, prove the decisions she made were for the greater good, and grill him on how her "bad experience" is "learning experience" of which he has none.

Again, just .02

Whitewater has been rehashed so many times that it's practically a joke at this point. In all those years of witch-hunting, no investigator was ever able to find any evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the Clintons, and in this country, you are innocent until proven guilty.

No Democrat will ever have "the support of the troops", in part because the military recruits heavily from R-leaning areas, in part because of decades of bullshit rhetoric that "Dems are weak liberal pansies" with no basis in reality. That said, last I checked, Hilary was currently holding more endorsements from current and former officers, as well as security officials. She also actually has plans to support the military and veterans, in great detail (like everything else under the sun), all on her website.

If you want to disagree with her policy, by all means. I'm not saying you have to like her ideas. I just ask that you tell me what aspects of it you don't like, whether you think Trump's policies (ha!) are better on those points, and don't let yourself be swayed by decades of baseless character assassination.

Sure, first off, I've said numerous times I DON'T appreciate Trump, his policies, his lifestyle choices, or his hairstyle. Let's get that in the open. I've never once supported Trump or stated an intent to vote for the bastard.

Second, let's take a moment to understand that not everyone on these forums has to fucking love Hillary Clinton. Some of us don't, but we're still willing to vote to put her in office to make sure a madman doesn't get the comfy leather chair. I get tired of seeing anytime ANYONE says the slightest thing about Clinton, it's pages and pages of "well that was disproved, that was disproved, that was disproved, etc"

It's great they were cleared of Whitewater and someone else took the blame. It's great that she simply admitted to the e-mails as being a "mistake" and it's done because she was cleared, it's great that no one talked about Benghazi and she was cleared there as well, but you know there's only so many times someone can either fuck up or be accused of fucking up before I lose confidence in them. I've personally reached my limit with her. I think she's incredibly smart, I think she cares more about civil rights than any of our past five presidents (aside from Obama), and I think generally she can do a lot to help our country as a whole to heal itself. For that she has my vote. I still don't trust her farther than I can lift and throw her and I think her geopolitical abilities aren't grand. Hopefully though that'll be remedied by advisors she'd listen to, unlike Trump. Again, she's got my vote, I don't trust her.

I don't like her stance on 2A. I don't like her tax plan because I don't think she has a chance in hell of getting it to pass. I also hope to God she wins this election because if she doesn't we're in for a bigger world of shit than we would be without her.

You don't see it as slightly problematic, that your problem with a person is that they were constantly attacked, and not that they actually did anything wrong?

"If so many people are attacking her, surely she MUST have done something right?"

That sentiment is, at it's core, incredibly dangerous, and largely why people such as yourself, and until recently myself have biases or opinions on people without ever actually having learned anything about them. It's incredibly sinister because it works on your subconscious and implants a bias without you ever being aware.

If people come out and defend against these very attacks, it's because they know how damaging that sentiment can be, and how they only way to possibly counteract it, is to vigilantly knock down the lies whenever they are brought up, to constantly correct the record until the person has nowhere else to fall back to except this 'gut feeling' where they can then REALLY examine exactly WHY they feel the way they do.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with disagreeing with her on policy, or things that are rooted in fact. But there is everything wrong with just not liking a person because other people won't stop attacking them.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Conway losing it a bit. Seems like the campaign's damage control strategy is just lie so furiously that you change the polling average by sheer will.

Donald Trump and posse is the space orks of america. It all comes together now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The clip of Trump saying he has the best temperament is trending on YouTube. The audience laughter is hilarious. Hillary clearly hears it and has to stop herself from giggling as well.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I still think the best shot against him was the opening salvo about how he blames Global Warming as a hoax China has started to fuck up our economy, which he denied, even though it was just 3.5 years ago he said it on twitter.

He even left the tweet up rather than try and delete it.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Noone seems to be reporting his Rosie O'Donnell comment which seemed incredibly mean spirited and petty

I think they've been distracted by his post-debate comments about Miss Venezuela, which are "well she DID gain a lot of weight and it was a huge problem!" and "she had a bad attitude!" That and the constant interrupting have been the main thrust of comments I've seen on his misogyny. Poor Rosie has been lost in the mix.

Yeah he was just called a misogynist to his face, and his defense is that hey she's awful because she dared to gain weight, that bitch

Fox and Friends apparently kept trying to save him from the topic but he insisted on talking about it

Yas Kween and all that, you execrable jaundiced fuck

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The clip of Trump saying he has the best temperament is trending on YouTube. The audience laughter is hilarious. Hillary clearly hears it and has to stop herself from giggling as well.

Yeah, he didn't like that.

"You hear that, Donnie? You're a joke. A joke."

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    I took a gander at reddit, the youtube comments of the copy of the debate I saw, they were still saying Donnie won, that Clinton 'looked sedated' and, for some reason, a lot of drawings of Pepe the frog as that fat record keeper vampire from Blade.

The Trump subreddit and also I assume /pol/ were encouraging people to spam various online polls to make it look like Trump won the debate.

Then after the debate they were posting links to these polls (to eachother!) as proof that Trump won the debate. No introspection or anything. I'm still laughing about it.

• Options
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I took a gander at reddit, the youtube comments of the copy of the debate I saw, they were still saying Donnie won, that Clinton 'looked sedated' and, for some reason, a lot of drawings of Pepe the frog as that fat record keeper vampire from Blade.

The Trump subreddit and also I assume /pol/ were encouraging people to spam various online polls to make it look like Trump won the debate.

Then after the debate they were posting links to these polls (to eachother!) as proof that Trump won the debate. No introspection or anything. I'm still laughing about it.

They did something similar with Whedon's "Save the Day Vote" campaign ad.

Within 24 hours hundreds of parody videos went online using pretty clever SEO so that it's actually pretty difficult to find the original ad if you're searching for it on a playstation or xbox rather than google.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »

They are trolling. They are lonely people who want to feel like they are part of a counterculture because the alternative is feeling like they don't matter in the world at all. These aren't seriously held beliefs, not that it makes them any less dangerous.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

It's a little unprofessional, but the chuckle from the reporters was pretty great.

edit: wait do you mean the chuckle from the reporters, or clintons comment? Probably not the greatest form for the reporters, but were all human too.

I think in the current culture it's an appropriate comment. Absurdity needs to be called out instead of tolerated. She's not going to point the sniffing out and probably wouldnt support the media in going after it. When I think about it I'd probably be upset about that as well if I get to a presidential debate and I get nixon'd.

From a technical standpoint, his mic was set up awful. It shouldn't have picked up the wheezing/sniffing noises. We would be flipping our shit in these threads had something similar happened with Clinton. But thats also probably because it would be the news cycle for the whole week. Did it pick up any traction in a negative light for trump besides the normal 'olol sniffles' and that inappropriate howard dean tweet?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I still think the best shot against him was the opening salvo about how he blames Global Warming as a hoax China has started to fuck up our economy, which he denied, even though it was just 3.5 years ago he said it on twitter.

He claims to be the reason Obama released his birth certificate but has no real answer for why up until early this year he still questioned Obama's birth. Even after Holt pointed it out, he just dropped the idea that what Obama did 'ended' whatever fantasy Trump was stuck in.

His only real tactic is to just overwhelm people with whatever falls out of his mouth like Imhotep in The Mummy. That's why his attack on Rosie doesn't really register. He's already said so many other really ignorant things.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Anyone with a bunch of conservative FB friends, able to give me a feel on what is going on there. My feed's were pretty quite last night, but there are only a couple of them. The best crazy I knew blocked me, after people started calling him out for posting a bunch of racist[like stormfront racist not like off color joke racist]/homophobic bullshit.

I've had someone similar who is British, was a massive pro-Brexiter and still stands by it as a victory for Britain. He's been more or less flooding my feed with pro-Trump / anti-Clinton BS. I've spent months calling him out on the ridiculousness of his memes and links, but have met with a wall of criticism for being "rude", "defensive", "ranting" and (lately) "unhinged". Because disagreeing with people calling someone a multiple murderer without any evidence and posting links to support your position is hideously uncouth, apparently.

He organised a live party with a bunch of his friends to sit up and watch the debate last night. I took a peek at Facebook this morning. His friends were mocking Trump and posting anti-Trump memes, and he himself was laughing at how badly he did and calling it a "disaster."

How long it'll last I have no idea. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet for now.

• Options
    edited September 2016

He claims to be the reason Obama released his birth certificate but has no real answer for why up until early this year he still questioned Obama's birth. Even after Holt pointed it out, he just dropped the idea that what Obama did 'ended' whatever fantasy Trump was stuck in.

His only real tactic is to just overwhelm people with whatever falls out of his mouth like Imhotep in The Mummy. That's why his attack on Rosie doesn't really register. He's already said so many other really ignorant things.

He was busted out the gate. I give credit to Holt when he asked him point blank "HOW WOULD YOU BRING BACK JOBS TO THE US" and Trump just went off on a tangent for two minutes and then Holt broke protocol to ask him again "YES BUT PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTION HOW WOULD YOU DO IT!?"

Also Trump not shaking Holts hand immediately hit him pretty hard too. From the camera it looked like he was told to do it then turned around and did.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Conway losing it a bit. Seems like the campaign's damage control strategy is just lie so furiously that you change the polling average by sheer will.

Donald Trump and posse is the space orks of america. It all comes together now.

Hey!

Space Orks take the time to tunnel out sections of a planet's crust and then slap junkyard-quality rockets onto them to function as their crude space ships.

That's infinitely more preparation than Trump did for this debate his entire campaign.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Cupp is a bicoastal Ivy Leaguer who shamelessly pretends to be a ludicrous beer-chugging Middle American cartoon for a paycheck. I doubt her insight is worth very much outside the boundaries of the buildings where she "works".

Yeah, but she's so completely worthless I don't understand why anyone bothers to keep her around. If they wanted a true-believer, there are plenty available.

They keep her around for her legs, judging by her television appearances.

She definitely leans into the sexy regressive librarian thing. And as a brand, it's been rather successful for her.

Funny thing is I have seen her in sitautions where she is not wearing her uber right wing partisan mask and she actually comes across as pretty sharp and has some good points. But when she is on CNN she puts on her hard core right wing mask and turns into a talking point spouting puppet which is kinda sad..

• Options

edit: wait do you mean the chuckle from the reporters, or clintons comment? Probably not the greatest form for the reporters, but were all human too.

I think in the current culture it's an appropriate comment. Absurdity needs to be called out instead of tolerated. She's not going to point the sniffing out and probably wouldnt support the media in going after it. When I think about it I'd probably be upset about that as well if I get to a presidential debate and I get nixon'd.

From a technical standpoint, his mic was set up awful. It shouldn't have picked up the wheezing/sniffing noises. We would be flipping our shit in these threads had something similar happened with Clinton. But thats also probably because it would be the news cycle for the whole week. Did it pick up any traction in a negative light for trump besides the normal 'olol sniffles' and that inappropriate howard dean tweet?

If he hadn't done or said anything else that would have attracted scrutiny, the sniffling might have become THE story out of the debate, and it would have been a little bullshit because the sound DID suck, even though he's the one who tried to make health and stamina and "odd mannerisms" a focal point of his attacks against Hillary

BUT as I said above he did like 50 crazy things so the sniffling is just a low-key joke

even if you grant him the mic being fucked up, the mic didn't make him say that he was very smart for paying no federal income taxes, basically fucking confirming that he hasn't paid any fucking federal income taxes

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    he was also very out of breath at times and slurring words or being really weird
    its fair game because he is at the pinnacle of health!

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    even if you grant him the mic being fucked up, the mic didn't make him say that he was very smart for paying no federal income taxes, basically fucking confirming that he hasn't paid any fucking federal income taxes

Clinton leading that into paying nothing to the military, nothing to vets, nothing to education, etc was exceptionally well done.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Man I really wish they'd have hammered him harder on his bullshit about stop and frisk. They let him get off with not only being full of shit and claiming it wasn't unconstitutional because an anti-police judge made the ruling and the governor wouldn't appeal, but they also didn't force him to describe how using stop and frisk isn't going to just result in more racial profiling. Also about his claim that the cops will just take the guns from the people they stop and frisk. Which people are those Don? White people? Or just "thugs?"

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah any comments on Trump's health has been invited by hyping bullshit conspiracy theories about his opponent. Just like if he slings shit on Bill for cheating he's opening up his own cheating past to scrutiny.

You can't bitch you lowered the discourse and it bites your ass. I'm tired of the GOP getting to play this game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Cupp is a bicoastal Ivy Leaguer who shamelessly pretends to be a ludicrous beer-chugging Middle American cartoon for a paycheck. I doubt her insight is worth very much outside the boundaries of the buildings where she "works".

Yeah, but she's so completely worthless I don't understand why anyone bothers to keep her around. If they wanted a true-believer, there are plenty available.

She definitely leans into the sexy regressive librarian thing. And as a brand, it's been rather successful for her.

Funny thing is I have seen her in sitautions where she is not wearing her uber right wing partisan mask and she actually comes across as pretty sharp and has some good points. But when she is on CNN she puts on her hard core right wing mask and turns into a talking point spouting puppet which is kinda sad..

Keep getting dem checks

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Trump is proud of his cheating. You're talking about the guy who while going through his divorce from his first wife talked about how the mistress's breast implants were so much better and that sex with her was the best he'd had in his life. Ask him about it onstage and he'll probably just tell people to go google a picture of his current wife and they'll understand why he keeps cheating and getting divorced, and his supporters will celebrate it because despite their "family values" bullshit they all secretly wish they could fuck a hotter woman than the one who was stupid enough to marry them.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Clinton leading that into paying nothing to the military, nothing to vets, nothing to education, etc was exceptionally well done.

I am vacillating between giddiness when I recall how well Hillary laid out that whole tax return charge (it can only mean 4 things!) and straight up white hot fury at how much of a douchebag Trump was for constantly interrupting, yelling, and being a boorish, veiny, actual life-sized penis on stage the whole time

and then i laugh when I remember he said he had the best temperament to be president

rollercoaster of emotions etc etc

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

A little unprofessional from the reporters. But only a little.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Man I really wish they'd have hammered him harder on his bullshit about stop and frisk. They let him get off with not only being full of shit and claiming it wasn't unconstitutional because an anti-police judge made the ruling and the governor wouldn't appeal, but they also didn't force him to describe how using stop and frisk isn't going to just result in more racial profiling. Also about his claim that the cops will just take the guns from the people they stop and frisk. Which people are those Don? White people? Or just "thugs?"

no no you're wrong

a very against-police-judge

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SE Cupp is not a candidate and most of the time when she's discussed it tends to be more than a little gross and off topic, so can we please just not this time?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

Again, just .02

I'm not sure it's a good, or relevant, idea to take the "where there is smoke there is fire" approach to politics in the modern age. You have the ability to fact check these situations, easily with the internet, and those in the media have monetary and political incentives to cast doubts about what are otherwise non-issues. It's important to doubt what you are told and take the time to look into these "scandals" and see them for what they are (for both sides! Check claims about Trump or the GOP just as thoroughly as those at DNC candidates). Most of the similar skeletons in other high profile political candidates are far, far worse and with more real, tangible facts behind them. They don't get reported on as much because the Clinton family are extremely high profile and polarizing due to Bill's time in office, making MSM very incentive in blowing every case they can open to try and milk the same ratings they got with the Lewinski scandal.

Its the same reason you see 90% of hourly coverage talking about Clinton's health while actual tax evasion going on with Trump is less than 5% of hourly coverage. Trump doing something actually dangerous and illegal is so old hat that the media knows it wont carry air time. But Clinton being SICK!? Tune in at 11 folks!!!!

As a rational consumer of political media, you have to take the headlines out of the equation and do some digging to separate the narrative and noise from the facts and situation. YMMV, but I feel it is a better way of moving forward with the amount of disinformation we now have commonplace not only on FOX but CNN as well.

Enc on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I think Trump actually believes he won the debate, which means the second debate might be great.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    kaid wrote: »

A good friend of mine who was a former writer for the National Review said she's pretty vacuous in person/ private.

He told me the first time he met S.E. Cupp, she was seated in an office with a few other colleagues and she had her feet up on the table.

Apparently when they walked in she turned to them and said "Hellooooooooooooo boys!"

This gentleman had also written a particularly glowing praise for Chris Christie but now Christie and the party are dead to him.

Edit- When Trump won the nomination he texted me and asked if he could come over because he knows I keep good whiskey. The best whiskey.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I think Trump actually believes he won the debate, which means the second debate might be great.

"They're" saying. "They" always say a lot of shit, according to Trump. Never any clarity on who "They" are.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    "Only they know who is them"

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Newtie apparently had some pretty high expectations for tonight.

Adequately competent. They really are just looking for a Supreme Court nomination vessel.

Too bad he's not going to give two shits about the second amendment or abortion when the first and fourth are right there, blocking his eminent domain petitions and not letting him sue people for thinking mean thoughts about him.

You know...

Ensuring they fill the Supreme Court vacancies with a right-leaning judge may actually be more important than whoever the president is. I could see at least a couple of Republicans thinking that way.

I mean, considering all the progressive topics floating up to the Supreme Court, it's kind of a key time for this.

I'm not saying the presidency isn't important (to them, or us) but what is going to be more concerning to a conservative at this point? The Supreme Court could make some drastic progressive changes here.

And the fact that they are so determined to prevent those changes that they would elect a President who stands a non-zero chance of starting a shooting war over a rude gesture, or ordering a nuclear strike because some foreign dignitary insulted his hands, should tell you all you need to know about that segment of the electorate.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

"They're" saying. "They" always say a lot of shit, according to Trump. Never any clarity on who "They" are.

It's a pretty classic marketing strategy. Claim consensus, at all times. Build up a group of people who are "in the know" and make those not feel slighted for not being in that informed group, then slip the audience an aside to "clue them in." It's exactly the same as how a car salesman might say "well, I'm not supposed to give this deal but I don't think my boss will notice just this one time" or when a realtor talks about the "special history" of a property they are holding and mentions "I'm not sure how long I can hold this for you, we have a few others that have expressed interest but I wanted to make sure YOU had a chance to see it."

Trump's entire tweetverse is essentially just a mass of land deal rhetoric that is being applied to the election. Looking at it through that lens is pretty fantastic when you consider the commitment.

This discussion has been closed.