Options

First [Presidential Debate] Monday Sept 26, 9 PM EST at Hostra University

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Oh lawd and I just remembered that he said he loves Charlotte, it's a great town, he just loves it, because he has assets in Charlotte and I'm smiling to myself again

what a day

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I think something that needs to be understood is that when some of us see Trump saying and doing stupid, rude, uncouth things, there is a large part of the electorate that sees that as "straight talk". There is a deep love of being uneducated and "simple" among the demographics that Trump polls well with. Being educated, intelligent and possessing an ability to see and understand nuanced problems is seen as "elitist", or "liberal elitism".

To wit, I had a Trump supporter on my FB the other day bragging about not going to college and working the oil fields because "going to college and sitting at a desk is for pussies" (exact words). This is the electorate we're trying to stop from running the country in to the ground.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite part was how she baited him into multiple instances of "my shady/unethical/illegal business practices are good business!"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

I think Trump actually believes he won the debate, which means the second debate might be great.

"They're" saying. "They" always say a lot of shit, according to Trump. Never any clarity on who "They" are.

"They" definitely aren't the mainstream press, so I'd love to see who "they" actually are

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think something that needs to be understood is that when some of us see Trump saying and doing stupid, rude, uncouth things, there is a large part of the electorate that sees that as "straight talk". There is a deep love of being uneducated and "simple" among the demographics that Trump polls well with. Being educated, intelligent and possessing an ability to see and understand nuanced problems is seen as "elitist", or "liberal elitism".

To wit, I had a Trump supporter on my FB the other day bragging about not going to college and working the oil fields because "going to college and sitting at a desk is for pussies" (exact words). This is the electorate we're trying to stop from running the country in to the ground.

This election is a battle against the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Enc on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Man I really wish they'd have hammered him harder on his bullshit about stop and frisk. They let him get off with not only being full of shit and claiming it wasn't unconstitutional because an anti-police judge made the ruling and the governor wouldn't appeal, but they also didn't force him to describe how using stop and frisk isn't going to just result in more racial profiling. Also about his claim that the cops will just take the guns from the people they stop and frisk. Which people are those Don? White people? Or just "thugs?"

no no you're wrong

a very against-police-judge

I think my brain remembered the phrasing he used, but I couldn't bring myself to type in Trumplish, the new form of english I didn't know existed until I listened to that dipshit ramble for 90 minutes.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

I think Trump actually believes he won the debate, which means the second debate might be great.

"They're" saying. "They" always say a lot of shit, according to Trump. Never any clarity on who "They" are.

It's a pretty classic marketing strategy. Claim consensus, at all times. Build up a group of people who are "in the know" and make those not feel slighted for not being in that informed group, then slip the audience an aside to "clue them in." It's exactly the same as how a car salesman might say "well, I'm not supposed to give this deal but I don't think my boss will notice just this one time" or when a realtor talks about the "special history" of a property they are holding and mentions "I'm not sure how long I can hold this for you, we have a few others that have expressed interest but I wanted to make sure YOU had a chance to see it."

Trump's entire tweetverse is essentially just a mass of land deal rhetoric that is being applied to the election. Looking at it through that lens is pretty fantastic when you consider the commitment.

I especially enjoy the "Nice!" at the end.

1478810-original.png

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

"They" definitely aren't the mainstream press, so I'd love to see who "they" actually are

in this instance, channers and maybe his campaign staff. so no one of any real importance.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    That Fox & Friends vine is a picture of people realizing just how uncomfortable the bed they've helped make actually is.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    The one thing that makes me not so nervous when people bring up the Obama/Romney 1st debate is that Trump clearly has no idea that he didn't do well. He'll go into the next debate hoping for an exact repeat, and the third debate hoping for an exact repeat.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Those images in the mirror do not count as 'they', Donald.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

He did win the debate though to about half of America and even on NPR he fuckin tied it so i dont even know

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Newtie apparently had some pretty high expectations for tonight.

Adequately competent. They really are just looking for a Supreme Court nomination vessel.

Too bad he's not going to give two shits about the second amendment or abortion when the first and fourth are right there, blocking his eminent domain petitions and not letting him sue people for thinking mean thoughts about him.

You know...

Ensuring they fill the Supreme Court vacancies with a right-leaning judge may actually be more important than whoever the president is. I could see at least a couple of Republicans thinking that way.

I mean, considering all the progressive topics floating up to the Supreme Court, it's kind of a key time for this.

I'm not saying the presidency isn't important (to them, or us) but what is going to be more concerning to a conservative at this point? The Supreme Court could make some drastic progressive changes here.

And the fact that they are so determined to prevent those changes that they would elect a President who stands a non-zero chance of starting a shooting war over a rude gesture, or ordering a nuclear strike because some foreign dignitary insulted his hands, should tell you all you need to know about that segment of the electorate.

must... hold back... 21st century...

• Options

He did win the debate though to about half of America and even on NPR he fuckin tied it so i dont even know

wat

• Options

I only levy that charge at right-wingers who unironically use pejoratives like, "libtard."

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I know there's only 24 hours in a day, but is the media just going to let slide Trump's plan to have China and Iran invade North Korea? Because... that's something.

sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    i know a shocking number of people who think we should blow up an iranian ship because the crewmembers made rude gestures

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    The one thing that makes me not so nervous when people bring up the Obama/Romney 1st debate is that Trump clearly has no idea that he didn't do well. He'll go into the next debate hoping for an exact repeat, and the third debate hoping for an exact repeat.

Obama was a completely different candidate running against an actual politician albeit a lying ass of one. What corrections can Trump make that would stick with his awful personality?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

This election is a final test to Mencken's famous quip that nobody ever lost an election by underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

I actually don't believe this. I think Trump and his team know exactly how bad he did, but they would never admit it publicly. Of course he's going to put on a front and post botted internet polls as proof that he "won" and everything is fine. They've also proven they have no issues flat out lying or making up poll results to show how they are "winning". It's all an act of desperation.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    i know a shocking number of people who think we should blow up an iranian ship because the crewmembers made rude gestures

That's how you show you're STRONG, not a PUSSY, and don't take SHIT from ANYONE.
    RAR! MAN!

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    That Fox & Friends vine is a picture of people realizing just how uncomfortable the bed they've helped make actually is.

Shouldn't have shit in it.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

I actually don't believe this. I think Trump and his team know exactly how bad he did, but they would never admit it publicly. Of course he's going to put on a front and post botted internet polls as proof that he "won" and everything is fine. They've also proven they have no issues flat out lying or making up poll results to show how they are "winning". It's all an act of desperation.

I think Trump's team knows. Giuliani and Christie flat-out said it. But Trump himself? I think he lives in his own gold-plated bubble. I think he genuinely believes he had the best debate ever and that 90% of the country are behind him.

I think I will enjoy watching his bubble explode on election night (knock on wood).

sig.gif
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Even Brietbart hasn't said that and they're running his campaign!

But I'm fine with Trump and his entrenched supporters deluding themselves. They can go right ahead and convince themselves that they're winners while showing themselves up to anyone who is still in any way on the fence.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    That's a real unskewing of polls. That's flat out saying the opposite of what actually happened.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Trump came out of the debate knowing he'd done terribly, hence his appearance in the spin room and his desperate attempt to change the narrative more to his own liking. however, there's plenty of time between now and the next debate for him to convince himself he did well and every skewed online poll that says he won will only make it easier. every tweet from his alt-right fan base telling him he did great will just convince him that it's true and he'll forget all about just how badly he really did. reality is subjective to Trump and it wont be long till he's decided things are going in his favour.

• Options

The question is, can they tie him down long enough to force feed him debate prep? He seems to have the attention span of a guppy.

• Options
    The point is that there is no "they," guys. Trump knows there isn't a credible "they" because if there was he would immediately use that as a reference. Its not a delusion. It's entirely first year salesman lingo read from the sleazier marketing tomes of the 1970s. It's the sort of thing that will work ~once~ on one person and then once they get clued in you have to drop them and prey on a new target.

The thing is, Trump's entire portfolio are these kind of invest and dump deals. Each time he moves to markets where his name is generally "sorta" known from his TV appearances, he buys something, pumps it up in value to investors with this kind of rhetoric, then dumps it upon completion, cashing out at the high mark while the rest of the project crashes immediately after. He then takes part of the profits as his investment for the next scheme in a new location. It isn't illegal, it's just bad press usually and without something like his high-profile television marketing preserving his "name" and massive fallback capital in his early days from his father, he would have been out of business at some point for failing to dump in time or by not finding new markets to invest in within his range of influence.

But because he survived the 80s, and was able to navigate through when he DID fail through his media connections in entertainment, he managed to create a situation where he could drown his later contracts in lawsuits and Non-Disclosures and obfuscate his pump-n-dump business practices while remaining ~just enough~ in the spotlight to have staying power.

Speculation time:
    I'd guess the main reason he is trying to keep his tax returns aren't because of his crooked deals and tax evasion, everyone "knows" he has that already (regardless of if it is true, which it is starting to look like it is with recent discoveries), but because he actually is waaaaaay below his net worth. Probably in the range of under 500 million in total net worth.

If that were public, it would ruin him faster than anything else, because of his image as being a billionaire with this vast fortune behind him is what keeps it all moving forward. The image is the salesman's main tool, and without that he won't be able to spark investment and, more importantly, won't be able to stave away his financial backers that he owes money to (who expect timely reward through future investment).

• Options

But I'm fine with Trump and his entrenched supporters deluding themselves. They can go right ahead and convince themselves that they're winners while showing themselves up to anyone who is still in any way on the fence.

I have to wonder how far Fox News will go in the next few weeks to pad Trump's numbers

They really weren't happy with Karl Rove and Dick Morris 4 years ago

• Options
    I really wish the next debate wasn't town hall. I think he'll do better addressing the people than he does being directly confronted and challenged by Clinton, and that will feed an unfortunate narrative of him rebounding and coming back strong and all that shit.

Hopefully Clinton takes a lot of shots at him and his policies and gets him feeling defensive.

• Options

I have to wonder how far Fox News will go in the next few weeks to pad Trump's numbers

They have to pad his numbers, if the GOP turn out is suppressed then state wide they might get fucked and that's worse than just losing the presidency.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

wat

When I walked in to work this morning and the debate came up, my coworker stared at me literally agape when I said it was cathartic watching 90 minutes of Hillary just beating the shit out of Trump verbally. He thought she did poorly because she brought up the 11 hours of congressional hearings.

It's easy to forget that most people don't even understand what they were seeing last night. Trump floundering through every piece of bait Clinton threw to him.

Like both of my co-workers thought she did terrible last night, and I'm not really interested in digging much further into why they think that.

Edit: Again I live in Massachusetts, and work in software development.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »

wat

When I walked in to work this morning and the debate came up, my coworker stared at me literally agape when I said it was cathartic watching 90 minutes of Hillary just beating the shit out of Trump verbally. He thought she did poorly because she brought up the 11 hours of congressional hearings.

It's easy to forget that most people don't even understand what they were seeing last night. Trump floundering through every piece of bait Clinton threw to him.

Like both of my co-workers thought she did terrible last night, and I'm not really interested in digging much further into why they think that.

I said at one point last night, to Trump supporters shouting over someone equals winning.

• Options

Fox lost a lot of market share after they sold their viewers that the win was assured and then failed to win. People don't like being lied to when they have to face the facts about that lie. When you can live in the bubble its all fine, but when the bubble pops because it simply cant hold up to reality, they look for someone to blame. The pundits and Fox executives blamed Rove and Morris, but the viewers generally blamed Fox.

The year after that loss was a huge dip for Fox. They have regained it years later because viewer memory is short, but that immediate loss was still felt.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I think my favorite part was how she baited him into multiple instances of "my shady/unethical/illegal business practices are good business!"

It was like tricking a puppy into pressing something it knows will shock it by dangling a treat just out of reach. Puppy, when will you learn!

jk you're a 70 year old man not a puppy, you are incapable at this point

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

wat

Makes sense. I hear the same rhetoric in the Southeast US from people who completely agree with Trump that we should fight whoever so much as gives us the finger, so I imagine they're ecstatic of his "foreign policy" plans laid out last night.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

I mean, preaching to the choir and all, but your friend realizes that the guy with the college degree and sitting at the desk in the Oil Company office makes probably 30 times what he does while he's in the fields......right?

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »

It was like tricking a puppy into pressing something it knows will shock it by dangling a treat just out of reach. Puppy, when will you learn!

jk you're a 70 year old man not a puppy, you are incapable at this point

Yet, listening to him last night, I could often hear the sort of arguments my 4 year old formulates.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    People that are already emotionally invested in the race saw what they wanted/expected to see. Not a surprise. But it's not like those votes were up for grabs anyway. This is why many of us have always thought the debates wouldn't change much.

But if we get lucky and Trump begins to be widely perceived and discussed as a petulant, blubbering lightweight in the last few weeks before the election... especially if this is further reinforced and disseminated in the following debates...

That could definitely be a boon. This race may very well come down to a couple of points.

Duffel on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Oh lawd and I just remembered that he said he loves Charlotte, it's a great town, he just loves it, because he has assets in Charlotte and I'm smiling to myself again

what a day
    He's going to get to Pennsylvania Ave one way or another

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.