Options

US Presidential Election: Wave Riders

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    I hope the eugenics thing gets some legs. He'll never be able to deny something like that if asked, point-blank, in an uncontrolled environment.

Please, by all means, tell the whole nation about how your genetic superiority made you rich.

Nah, by now they've switched to the narrative that Fred was of modest means and gave Donald a "small loan," to get started.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/jill-stein-gary-johnson-foreign-leaders-228899

"Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein tried to capitalize on Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson flubbing a question on world leaders by listing three figures she liked.

But none of the ones she listed are leaders of their respective countries."

C'mon guys, no sati...

oh

Oh

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Somewhere in the eugenics discussion there's a joke to be made about how the only acquired traits that are inherited aren't genetic but I can't quite get there.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't surprise me if Donald Trump thought Ethan Hawk played a bad guy in Gattaca.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57ec4cc2e4b024a52d2cc7f9
    The Frontline documentary “The Choice,” which premiered this week on PBS, reveals that Trump agrees with the dangerous and abusive theory of eugenics.

Trump’s father instilled in him the idea that their family’s success was genetic, according to Trump biographer Michael D’Antonio.

That strikes me as likely and making this quote easier to understand:
    ''My entire life, I've watched politicians bragging about how poor they are, how they came from nothing, how poor their parents and grandparents were. And I said to myself, if they can stay so poor for so many generations, maybe this isn't the kind of person we want to be electing to higher office,” Trump told Dowd, adding, “How smart can they be? They're morons.”
    That is pretty eugenicsy and making a judgment about a person based on a family being poor for several generations.

Jesus, that quote is incredible.

Your parents were poor? Well, fuck you. Winning just isn't in your DNA.

The most fucked up thing about it is you could take that quote to the average poor white republican Trump voter and go "So Trump says this. How do you feel about him saying that when a big part of the republican platform is pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and becoming successful?" And their answer would be like "Fuck yeah Trump telling it like it is, once the government gets out of my way I'm going to become so successful and my family will be rich too!"

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Somewhere in the eugenics discussion there's a joke to be made about how the only acquired traits that are inherited aren't genetic but I can't quite get there.

Republicans don't support Darwinian evolution, so maybe they are fans of Lamarck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    well seeing as its page 100 and we're due a fresh new thread, how 'bout some more Hillary Shimmy?

https://youtu.be/Xs0AupRWyC0

flashbacks to 2008 with this video

nice to see a funny political video for this election that isn't HERE YOU CAN SEE THE DOCTOR BEHIND HER INSERTING THE LIFE-PROLONGING MEDICATION TO KEEP HER FAILING BODY ALIVE

omg he made another one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jFTEUxmTk

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    A huge chunk of the white working class GOP voting base are just temporarily displaced millionaires. If the government would just get out of their way, they'd be rolling in the money they are clearly owed.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah, was just about to say that he made a Trump sniffle song too. hadn't watched that one yet though and the Hillary shimmy is just more fun.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    well seeing as its page 100 and we're due a fresh new thread, how 'bout some more Hillary Shimmy?

That is exactly what I needed to answer the crazy angry republican accusing me of supporting Hillary's machines of death on FB (his name for drone strikes). Thanks!

sig.gif
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    A huge chunk of the white working class GOP voting base are just temporarily displaced millionaires. If the government would just get out of their way, they'd be rolling in the money they are clearly owed.

Fuckin taxes keeping us down.

Now grab the food stamps, lets go get some Red Bull.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/jill-stein-gary-johnson-foreign-leaders-228899

"Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein tried to capitalize on Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson flubbing a question on world leaders by listing three figures she liked.

C'mon guys, no sati...

oh

Oh

I'm no Stein fan, but this is a pretty uncharitable interpretation.

They're foreign politicians, some of whom do lead their parties, that she agrees with. I know "world leader" should probably be interpreted as "head of state" but I don't think she gave a poor answer to the question itself.

In trying to one-up Johnson she dropped the ball though.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think the Hillary Shuffle is the best thing about the debate.

It shows her fun side. Humanizes the hell out of her. Totally refutes the "cold ambitious lady macbeth ice queen" bullshit.

No way to measure this, but I think it helps her more than anything she said about policy.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    jmcdonald wrote: »

C'mon guys, no sati...

oh

Oh

I'm no Stein fan, but this is a pretty uncharitable interpretation.

They're foreign politicians, some of whom do lead their parties, that she agrees with. I know "world leader" should probably be interpreted as "head of state" but I don't think she gave a poor answer to the question itself.

In trying to one-up Johnson she dropped the ball though.

and that's all she was trying to do since no one actually asked her the question. she didn't just make a mess of it, she did so while trying to be smug to one of her opponents.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think the Hillary Shuffle is the best thing about the debate.

It shows her fun side. Humanizes the hell out of her. Totally refutes the "cold ambitious lady macbeth ice queen" bullshit.

No way to measure this, but I think it helps her more than anything she said about policy.

'MERCIA!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I don't know why they have Stein on for anything. I mean she polls beneath a stupid internet meme and Harambe.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I feel like the amount of time we spend talking about Johnson and Stein is grossly disproportionate to their actual impact on this election anything at all, ever

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

That is exactly what I needed to answer the crazy angry republican accusing me of supporting Hillary's machines of death on FB (his name for drone strikes). Thanks!
    I mean Hillary is warmonger and a lot of innocent people will die in horrific explosions because of her

But it's not like Donald 'maybe nuclear war wouldn't be so bad' Trump would be any better so

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't know why they have Stein on for anything. I mean she polls beneath a stupid internet meme and Harambe.

Also, in PPP, the anti-Trump Republican Pants and I can't be bothered to remember the name of.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »

As someone who had to use food stamps for a couple of months in my 20's due to life kicking me in the face, I can say with some anecdotal authority that most of the people I saw in the food stamp office were in fact not brown "welfare queens", but dyed in the wool, "fuck the government", I vote GOP and have a confederate flag on my truck (next to the gun rack), white people.

Which is my semi-humorous way of saying that cognitive dissonance is a staple of hardcore conservatism in America today.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

As someone who had to use food stamps for a couple of months in my 20's due to life kicking me in the face, I can say with some anecdotal authority that most of the people I saw in the food stamp office were in fact not brown "welfare queens", but dyed in the wool, "fuck the government", I vote GOP and have a confederate flag on my truck (next to the gun rack), white people.

Which is my semi-humorous way of saying that cognitive dissonance is a staple of hardcore conservatism in America today.

So you were in every food stamp office in america?

I mean, I am not saying that stereotype IS true. But you are also kind of making another one.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

I mean, I am not saying that stereotype IS true. But you are also kind of making another one.

No of course not. You did read the second part right? I figured "anecdotal authority" would be enough to tip off the tongue in cheek nature of the first statement...

• Options
    The biggest welfare queens in america are our corporations, but we don't consider the billions in tax breaks they get "welfare" for some crazy reason.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

No of course not. You did read the second part right? I figured "anecdotal authority" would be enough to tip off the tongue in cheek nature of the first statement...

Nope!

Send me money in recompense!

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I feel like the amount of time we spend talking about Johnson and Stein is grossly disproportionate to their actual impact on this election anything at all, ever

Gary Johnson's apparent impact on my sister (MY KIN!) is enough to make me interested in his flubs and gaffes

Also Johnson and Stein are gathering historically higher support than previous third parties have done in Presidential elections, and this is a very strange, very abnormal election, so analyzing their lack of personal or professional charisma and readiness in spite of this sheds light on the similarly historical unfavorability of the two main party candidates. I don't really believe people are claiming to support the Libertarian Party or the Green Party in higher numbers this year because they've really captured too many hearts and minds. It's because they're fallback parties for disaffected undecideds, wayward Republicans lost in the wilderness who can't seem to bring themselves to vote for Trump, still-bitter Democrats who weren't really in the Bernie movement for the Bernie and won't follow him where he has gone, or blase low-info voters who aren't a part of your system, man.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

Nope!

Sorry, yes, that entire first statement was meant to be very tongue in cheek. Sorry if the joke was missed. I saw plenty of people who actually, truly, needed help, regardless of their skin color, voting preference or religious views. Which is the entire idea of state assistance.

It was just a humorous way to agree with Cog about the cognitive dissonance among a large part of the electorate.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I spent my mid teenage years thinking I'd vote republican when the time came, and my late teens on the libertarian objectivism bandwagon. Why? Because my dad, despite being a life-long lower middle class blue collar worker with a wife who collects social security for disability and had to have medicaid to get healthcare for me and my sister as kids taught me all that bullshit. Bootstraps, small government is all we need, flat taxes will solve everything, etc. He's one of those people that just wants Bush 1 fiscal conservatism to still be what his party is about and can't come to grips with the reality.

It's so sad too, because my Dad is one of the hardest working people you'll meet, and one of the kindest to his family and friends, but I can't even talk politics with him because of some of the ugliness that's come out of it. He just simply doesn't understand political policy at all. I've tried so many times to talk to him about the kinds of policies I hope to see in the future, and he often even agrees with them. He just can't divorce himself from the R and what he grew up believing. He at least hates Trump and is baffled that the republicans nominated him, though I don't know if he'll even vote, and I assume if he does he will still vote R.

Honestly, I'm just lucky that I met my wife when I was young, because I give her immense compassion and kindness about 90% of the credit for helping me develop the empathy and understanding of other people that I needed to shed the stuff I was taught as a kid.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I spent my mid teenage years thinking I'd vote republican when the time came, and my late teens on the libertarian objectivism bandwagon. Why? Because my dad, despite being a life-long lower middle class blue collar worker with a wife who collects social security for disability and had to have medicaid to get healthcare for me and my sister as kids taught me all that bullshit. Bootstraps, small government is all we need, flat taxes will solve everything, etc. He's one of those people that just wants Bush 1 fiscal conservatism to still be what his party is about and can't come to grips with the reality.

It's so sad too, because my Dad is one of the hardest working people you'll meet, and one of the kindest to his family and friends, but I can't even talk politics with him because of some of the ugliness that's come out of it. He just simply doesn't understand political policy at all. I've tried so many times to talk to him about the kinds of policies I hope to see in the future, and he often even agrees with them. He just can't divorce himself from the R and what he grew up believing. He at least hates Trump and is baffled that the republicans nominated him, though I don't know if he'll even vote, and I assume if he does he will still vote R.

Honestly, I'm just lucky that I met my wife when I was young, because I give her immense compassion and kindness about 90% of the credit for helping me develop the empathy and understanding of other people that I needed to shed the stuff I was taught as a kid.

I bet he's a against unions too.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Nope!

Sorry, yes, that entire first statement was meant to be very tongue in cheek. Sorry if the joke was missed. I saw plenty of people who actually, truly, needed help, regardless of their skin color, voting preference or religious views. Which is the entire idea of state assistance.

It was just a humorous way to agree with Cog about the cognitive dissonance among a large part of the electorate.

Heh, no worries. Sorry if my response came off as harsh.

I hate individual examples of things like that, because they are absolutely due to your location and the distribution of people in your area.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Is it though? Votes for either of them would most likely be for Clinton otherwise.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Gary Johnson's apparent impact on my sister (MY KIN!) is enough to make me interested in his flubs and gaffes

Also Johnson and Stein are gathering historically higher support than previous third parties have done in Presidential elections, and this is a very strange, very abnormal election, so analyzing their lack of personal or professional charisma and readiness in spite of this sheds light on the similarly historical unfavorability of the two main party candidates. I don't really believe people are claiming to support the Libertarian Party or the Green Party in higher numbers this year because they've really captured too many hearts and minds. It's because they're fallback parties for disaffected undecideds, wayward Republicans lost in the wilderness who can't seem to bring themselves to vote for Trump, still-bitter Democrats who weren't really in the Bernie movement for the Bernie and won't follow him where he has gone, or blase low-info voters who aren't a part of your system, man.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be discussed! By all means, discuss them.

I'm simply saying that in previous elections polling has failed to accurately show how little 3rd party candidates get. It's possible they'll overperform this year because one of the candidates is a bloviating, nonsensical pathological liar, but I'm adopting a wait-and-see attitude on it. My instinct is that when push comes to shove and the reality of Johnson and Stein's lack of electability sets in at the polls, people will still vote R or D. With the exception of the die-hard SouthParkdebate.jpg crowd.

I think they're overperforming in polls right now because giving an answer on a poll to express your displeasure is safe.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Nope!

I hate individual examples of things like that, because they are absolutely due to your location and the distribution of people in your area.

fwiw it is true that poor white people receive the lion's share of federal assistance for poverty

not really a subjective statement in either direction, there are just more of them than anyone else

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I mean, it's something to talk about. Otherwise we'd just spend 90% of the time tearing our hair out about trump and the other 10% yelling about media bias.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Nope!

fwiw it is true that poor white people receive the lion's share of federal assistance for poverty

not really a subjective statement in either direction, there are just more of them than anyone else

Oh absolutely, and I am not at all defending the validity of any claim in either direction.

Just the hatred of the; "Well, in my one specific instance it's not true, therefor it is entirely false!" type claims. If you want to call someone out and make fun of them, I expect scientific proof.

Except for Trump, he just gets a free pass at mockery. Not that you need it.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Nope!

Oh absolutely, and I am not at all defending the validity of any claim in either direction.

Just the hatred of the; "Well, in my one specific instance it's not true, therefor it is entirely false!" type claims. If you want to call someone out and make fun of them, I expect scientific proof.

Except for Trump, he just gets a free pass at mockery. Not that you need it.

yeah definitely frustrating that every right wing person seems to have a personal anecdote of people abusing welfare systems

no one is claiming the system can't be abused

focusing on the abuse is beside the point of the systems, and preventing what little abuse there is mostly just makes it so people who honestly need the assistance won't get it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/trump-surveys-supporters-advice-debate-clinton-scandals-228853

yes please, by all means, ask your supporters whether you should continue scraping the bottom of the barrel

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Talking about welfare abuse is exactly how R politicians get people, even those who collect welfare themselves to get behind the R policies to fuck over welfare. Because they go "Hey, look at those guys over there. Not you, you're a hard worker who needs just a bit of help. But those people over there are buying flat screen TVs with welfare money and just not working at all!

Without being able to play their voters against an other, I think republicans wouldn't have won an election in the last 20 years.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Talking about welfare abuse is exactly how R politicians get people, even those who collect welfare themselves to get behind the R policies to fuck over welfare. Because they go "Hey, look at those guys over there. Not you, you're a hard worker who needs just a bit of help. But those people over there are buying flat screen TVs with welfare money and just not working at all!

Without being able to play their voters against an other, I think republicans wouldn't have won an election in the last 20 years.

This is the exact strategy behind support for stop and frisk. Hey look at those guys over there. Not you, you're a responsible gun owner. But those people over there who are doing something that looks suspicious. Let's take their guns, because they're probably illegal!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Trump not getting enough credit for using her correct title.

It's amazing he doesn't bitch about not getting accolades for wiping his own ass.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Yeah insert Chris Rock.

"You're supposed to you dumb mother fucker you want a cookie?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.