Options

Nintendo Switch: March 2017

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    So wrong that nobody has ever used an analog shoulder button again because it's turrible.

You mean like on the 360 and XBO controllers?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Man, now I want to play Mario Sunshine again.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The Gamecube controller was great but in my opinion a little niche.

There really wasn't a good way to play twin stick shooters on it and the sholders weren't terribly practical outside of the rare case you wanted a variable preasure. Probably the best implementation of the concept though.

Still the best feeling controller ever though.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Man, now I want to play Mario Sunshine again.

as much as its loved its still so under appreciated. the void levels were the best, but they weren't the only good parts. Sunshine was a fucking great game all over.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    So wrong that nobody has ever used an analog shoulder button again because it's turrible.

You mean like on the 360 and XBO controllers?

triggers ain't shoulders, don't be silly

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    They're the second set of shoulder buttons.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I dislike how in melee you had to press the shoulders all the way down to dodge, because it felt way too slow to me and I would always like press it 95% of the way and fail to dodge

Otherwise I had no beef with them

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    I dislike how in melee you had to press the shoulders all the way down to dodge, because it felt way too slow to me and I would always like press it 95% of the way and fail to dodge

Otherwise I had no beef with them
    Using Yoshi in TTYD gave me more than enough reasons to hate them. Button mashing on the shoulder buttons are the worst.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Shoulder buttons are terrible, they make you either support the controller/console for handhelds with the fingers that are pushing buttons, or with the weaker side of your hand. It just gets really uncomfortable. I swear half the reason I like pokemon games is because you can do everything with confirm/cancel/menu buttons, and before the recent games also just with the D-pad. I just hate the slide joystick thing on the 3ds though, there's no grip to it. I'd much prefer triggers that were I guess lower on the backside where a normal grip would go to use my middle/ring finger to push them. But what do I know, I liked the right 2/3s of the N64 controller and think the playstation controller is superior to the xbox controllers. The wiiu pro controller is really comfortable too.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Shoulder buttons are terrible, they make you either support the controller/console for handhelds with the fingers that are pushing buttons, or with the weaker side of your hand. It just gets really uncomfortable. I swear half the reason I like pokemon games is because you can do everything with confirm/cancel/menu buttons, and before the recent games also just with the D-pad. I just hate the slide joystick thing on the 3ds though, there's no grip to it. I'd much prefer triggers that were I guess lower on the backside where a normal grip would go to use my middle/ring finger to push them. But what do I know, I liked the right 2/3s of the N64 controller and think the playstation controller is superior to the xbox controllers. The wiiu pro controller is really comfortable too.

Oh, I would love to have shoulder buttons just straight moved onto the grips. Like, the inside of the back of them, so the middle two fingers rest on them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    It depends on the game. I'm fine with the shoulder buttons in Souls/Bloodborne, but hate them in Street Fighter where then need to be used as part of a QCF movement.

Face buttons are good for mashing, shoulder buttons are good for the occasional press.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The level design and controls of Mario Sunshine are unbeatable. I used to spend hours doing the red coins on the retro stages. Mario 64 was my elementary school game, Mario Sunshine was the next level. I remember specifically asking for a Gamecube over anything else, so I could play Sunshine. Still, no ragrets.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I've been out of this thread since the reveal (mostly due to site issues and lack of internet) but damn the Switch looks good. Cannot wait. Wanna preorder now.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So is there a consolidated list of what Nintendo has said about the Switch since the trailer? Having trouble sifting between official word and rumors.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    There's a 3D model of the system out to look at.

Unfortunately, I zoomed in all the way and couldn't see the innards, so we won't be able to check out specs early.

Hmmmm. I wonder slightly about if this mock-up is completely accurate.

For one thing, there is only a headphone jack on the top of it, and no sign of any means to attach some kind of external charger unit that is not the home cradle.

I was hoping the shot of the Switch on the plane was some sleek ac adapter thing plugged into it.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    There's a 3D model of the system out to look at.

Unfortunately, I zoomed in all the way and couldn't see the innards, so we won't be able to check out specs early.

Hmmmm. I wonder slightly about if this mock-up is completely accurate.

For one thing, there is only a headphone jack on the top of it, and no sign of any means to attach some kind of external charger unit that is not the home cradle.

I was hoping the shot of the Switch on the plane was some sleek ac adapter thing plugged into it.

When he's playing on the floor next to the blonde girl, it looks like a cord is plugged into the bottom.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I like shoulder buttons and triggers. I don't like it when a game maps something to a trigger that doesn't need the pressure sensitivity of the trigger to actually activate.

Seriously, I couldn't not get over Bloodborne because of it. Just give my Dynasty Warriors control mapping and I'll be fine.

The mock-up might be a bit accurate. Remember when Nintendo showed off the DS for the first time? That was similar to what we got, but just a but different design wise. Oh, and I don't think they said anything about a speaker in the Wii's controller till the year it came out.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Is there anywhere to see who made that model? Doesn't look to me like its even remotely official.

If it's not, why bother?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So, based on that video it seems they're targeting millennials with the Switch. It also seems like they're trying to make the switch a "go anywhere do anything" console. The problem I see here is that most of us already have a smartphone or tablet that can already to everything the switch is advertising is SOME way or another. Plus, a tablet/smartphone can do A LOT more that we didn't see. There's already rumors circulating that it's a 720p non-touch display. In all likelihood, there's going to be no cellular radio of any kind leaving you with wifi and BT only. It probably won't even have tethering support.

My career in IT has exposed me to the entire broad spectrum of technology consumer. I've noticed a trend across most of my clientele. No one wants to carry around more devices than they have to. Say you present someone with 2 scenarios. One where they carry around one devices that's good enough at everything they want to do, or another with 2 specialized devices that will do the job BETTER. They'll pick the one device EVERY SINGLE TIME.

All of this leaves me with some final questions that Nintendo is going to have to answer for. Can the switch replace a smartphone/tablet? If it can't, is Nintendo's IP strong enough to gain market share by itself. Based on the lack of success with the WiiU I worry the answer to both of these is no.

If I were some executive at Nintendo, I would take a hard look at the ecosystem around me. I would look at the success of Pokemon Go. I would look at the recent blunders from Apple (headphone jack) and Samsung (explosions) and see a vacuum in the marketplace. The Nintendo Switch needs to be a full-fledged entry into the smartphone market. Give the Switch a touchscreen, app marketplace, cellular/gps radios, phone/VoIP calling AND Nintendo's IP backing it up. You would be looking at an unstoppable force that would cement Nintendo in the 21st century economy. They could go from a toy company to a full-fledged industrial powerhouse like Microsoft.

I want to see good things from Nintendo. I'm worried that this Japanese philosophy of sticking to something way past its viability is going to hurt them.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    It would be insane for Nintendo to unveil a Switchphone.

Not impossible, just insane.

EDIT: Better for Nintendo to trot out a Switch app that does magical Switch shit functionality for the phone you already own

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    A few months ago I would have agreed. But than Apple and Samsung lost a lot of good faith in the marketplace. There's a vacuum that Nintendo could really capitalize on.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Once again, I must remind people that smart phone/tablet gaming is horrible (outside of a few exceptions), that the Switch is being marketed as a home system that's also magically portable, and that it's being positioned as a luxury device. It's not supposed to replace a smartphone/tablet. Just like the 3DS and Vita weren't. Form factor != apt comparison.

And, frankly, I'd be incredibly disappointed if Nintendo went full mobile because I'm not convinced they'd be able to make anything that could stand above Pokemon Go (which is already dead), or more endless runners and free-to-play crapware.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If the Switch really only has a three hour battery life... I dunno, man. First, that's just flat out not enough battery life. Second, I guarantee they'll release an improved one 6-12 months later with an actually functional battery life (and probably a ton of other improvements that were necessary to make it a good console.)

So, I think at best if the three hour battery life is true I'm going to wait for the nSwitch. Or SwitchXL. or the Switch Advance, or the Switchi, or the whatever.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I was talking with my wife about the Switch the other night and we decided that it just might be our first current-gen gaming console once I finally build my next gaming PC. We've skipped out on the Xbox One and PS4 thus far. I've not really paid much attention to any coverage it's gotten since Tuesday, though. I'm hoping for some great games. New Zelda and Mario games are a good start!

(I still need to play through Skyward Sword, even though I've heard not-so-great things about it)

• Options
    I very nearly agree. I don't want to same I'm in until the battery realities have been proven and I can expect better news or come to terms with a limited battery strength. I think the PS4 is a beautifully designed machine, but for the life of me I've been unable to find it within myself to act on getting one.

• Options
    Skyward Sword is a, shall we say, polarizing game. Owing to its control scheme, but also to some of its general design choices and characters.

I love it; in many ways it's one of my favorites, but there are also those who despise it with a passion.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    There will be plenty of extended battery options you can just pick up.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    To be honest, the worst thing about the Switch that I can tell is the default controller.

I know they mean well, trying to make a controller out of the handles and being clever, but that default controller looks like it's as ergonomic as the original Xbox controller.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

To turn the tablet into a laptop? :P

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Oh, I would love to have shoulder buttons just straight moved onto the grips. Like, the inside of the back of them, so the middle two fingers rest on them.
    Paddles like the Xbox One Elite controller?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

To turn the tablet into a laptop? :P

Nah. I have an extended on my phone and it is only a little bigger for it.

I have a buddy that bough the extended for the WiiU pad and you wouldn't know it.

Sure there will probably be 10000mha optiona that are huge but there will also be 5 hour options that you won'the even notice.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    So, based on that video it seems they're targeting millennials with the Switch. It also seems like they're trying to make the switch a "go anywhere do anything" console. The problem I see here is that most of us already have a smartphone or tablet that can already to everything the switch is advertising is SOME way or another. Plus, a tablet/smartphone can do A LOT more that we didn't see. There's already rumors circulating that it's a 720p non-touch display. In all likelihood, there's going to be no cellular radio of any kind leaving you with wifi and BT only. It probably won't even have tethering support.

My career in IT has exposed me to the entire broad spectrum of technology consumer. I've noticed a trend across most of my clientele. No one wants to carry around more devices than they have to. Say you present someone with 2 scenarios. One where they carry around one devices that's good enough at everything they want to do, or another with 2 specialized devices that will do the job BETTER. They'll pick the one device EVERY SINGLE TIME.

All of this leaves me with some final questions that Nintendo is going to have to answer for. Can the switch replace a smartphone/tablet? If it can't, is Nintendo's IP strong enough to gain market share by itself. Based on the lack of success with the WiiU I worry the answer to both of these is no.

If I were some executive at Nintendo, I would take a hard look at the ecosystem around me. I would look at the success of Pokemon Go. I would look at the recent blunders from Apple (headphone jack) and Samsung (explosions) and see a vacuum in the marketplace. The Nintendo Switch needs to be a full-fledged entry into the smartphone market. Give the Switch a touchscreen, app marketplace, cellular/gps radios, phone/VoIP calling AND Nintendo's IP backing it up. You would be looking at an unstoppable force that would cement Nintendo in the 21st century economy. They could go from a toy company to a full-fledged industrial powerhouse like Microsoft.

I want to see good things from Nintendo. I'm worried that this Japanese philosophy of sticking to something way past its viability is going to hurt them.

I think people are forgetting that the 3DS is a thing and the existence of smart phones hasn't torpedoed it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean, if you somehow can consider your phones a gaming device then go you. But I find the mere concept ridiculous. The games almost always suck unless they are ports of games FROM a console, and the controls are also almost always just as bad. Further, its your phone so why blow battery on games?

If you have a tablet, then it slightly improve the situation, but the interface still sucks badly.

To me they are not even remotely compatible. You get a tablet to do stuff you do on your phone more easily due to bigger screen and it not being your phone. If anything, tablets are in direct competition with phones yet somehow they both coexist too.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I think people are forgetting that the 3DS is a thing and the existence of smart phones hasn't torpedoed it.

So let's be honest, the vast majority of the value of the Switch is going to be the vast majority of the value of pretty much any Nintendo console: it has Nintendo games on it.

Also, Nintendo has always kinda followed their own path in regards to the rest of the ecosystem. This has brought them varying levels of success in the past, but they've survived long enough on it and their brand is strong enough that they can be comfortable doing it. It may be a specialized device, but it's still going to be a specialized device that does things no other more generalized device can do. I lug around my 3DS even when I have my tablet and phone.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I think anyone who really wants Nintendo to get into the smartphone business is really underselling how hard it is to write a good operating system and the ecosystem around it. Like, MICROSOFT is still trying to break into the smartphone business.

Nintendo making a phone would be just about the dumbest thing they could do. The fact that they know they are a game company and stick to that is their biggest strength.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If there's one thing I want to see the Switch do, it's leverage some of the Nvidea Shield stuff and stream from my computer. It's absolutely a pipe dream, but there shouldn't be any reason it can't as a hardware matter (I'd also like to do the same to my Vita, because that remote play is just nice to have).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    You don't have to stick with the regular joy-controllers.
    See them introduce multiple joy-con add ons, like a joy-phone, joy-pony and joy-flotation device just to switch it up.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Can I just say how happy I am Nintendo dropped the Wii brand? Quirky name for the sake of being quirky. Switch is very back to basics in comparison, in name and concept.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Here's something a bit random: the guy who played one of the Splatoon players in the trailer is actually a (somewhat) well-known Twitch streamer and speedrunner. He released a video where he talks about how he got the part, the filming experience etc. He obviously doesn't reveal any new info about the Switch ifself, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless:

https://twitch.tv/dickhiskhan/v/96441430

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Can I just say how happy I am Nintendo dropped the Wii brand? Quirky name for the sake of being quirky. Switch is very back to basics in comparison, in name and concept.

Just wait. The final title will be the Swiitch.

This discussion has been closed.