As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sexy pokemon [chat]

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Houston is too big, but that's okay because only like 2% of it is any good and most of that is within the same 1 mile radius

is sugarland good

Sugarland is nothing but strip malls and low-cost masterplanned communities 20 miles away from Downtown

no, Sugarland is not good

a fitness vlogger bro i know owns a gym in stafford and i believe he just had a new house built in sugarland. it's lakeside and super modern looking and cost like 700k

but it does seem like he has to drive a fair distance to do anything at all

There's definitely a reason his new ultra mod house cost $700k. Sugarland is way far away from anything good, and it's boring as all hell.

Conversely, one of my good friends has a smallish 3-bed 1940s bungalow barely inside the downtown loop and paid almost $500k.

houses everywhere seem to cost more than i thought

welcome to being a millennial

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Housing will never be affordable for me. The idea of owning a home ever is just not even in my radar. I'll be lucky if I don't end up living in a tent someday

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    I don't much enjoy being so poor

you should try being not-poor

my libertarian cousin says its really easy

just pull upwards on your shoes or something

I can't remember exactly

I had a hard time hearing him over the blaring radio he had on in the Mercedes his dad bought him at age 22

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Housing will never be affordable for me. The idea of owning a home ever is just not even in my radar. I'll be lucky if I don't end up living in a tent someday

no it's cool the market will crash again

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Houston is too big, but that's okay because only like 2% of it is any good and most of that is within the same 1 mile radius

is sugarland good

Sugarland is nothing but strip malls and low-cost masterplanned communities 20 miles away from Downtown

a fitness vlogger bro i know owns a gym in stafford and i believe he just had a new house built in sugarland. it's lakeside and super modern looking and cost like 700k

There's definitely a reason his new ultra mod house cost $700k. Sugarland is way far away from anything good, and it's boring as all hell.

Conversely, one of my good friends has a smallish 3-bed 1940s bungalow barely inside the downtown loop and paid almost $500k.

Here is your exclusive snapchat filter and an article in the economist using barely coded language to call you lazy.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

is sugarland good

In fairness, as far as my somewhat limited research goes, we're actually just returning to normal times. the 50s through 80s were the anomaly, not the current price trend (which is, apparently, part of the reason that people didn't realize the speculation bubble had swelled to such catastrophic proportions).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Housing can be affordable or it can be a reliable investment.

It can't be both.

We chose the latter.

The most infuriating thing is seeing rental properties referred to as "an investment".

Sure does feel good as a tenant!

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    i think southern food gets a pretty good rap, overall. people poke fun at it being unhealthy with tons of lard and sugar in sweet tea and stuff. and some people go blech pig's feet, or whatever. but i don't think any other part of the country has that sort of acclaim in terms of people saying it tastes good. certain cities have certain individual items- cheesesteaks, fish tacos, whatever- or like, a style of bbq or lobster because of geography. but i think if you put a plate of food in front of a bro and say it's from the pnw he doesn't get excited. you say it's from new england and he says is it lobster or chowder? if not he doesn't get excited. and so on.

maybe restaurant folk are snobs about it but southern food, comfort food, home cooking whatever- it's a big amalgamation of stuff that i think people generally like.

I think the concept I'm trying to get across is that even more open-minded restaurant folk will say something like, "Sure, Southern food is good, but I would never consider it fine dining material."

Because all they can think about is fried chicken and that time they went to Waffle House and had instant grits with their waffle, eggs and bacon. This is why it's been such a deal lately in travel shows, why Anthony Bourdain promotes chefs like Sean Brock. Because not only are they doing something interesting, they are doing something with a food culture that has been so...shall we say underestimated?

I dunno, this is something I've run into a lot in my professional life. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to convince people to run shrimp and grits with seared pork belly and roasted tomato sauce because, "Man, nobody's trying to eat that Southern shit!"

oh, i have no idea how it flies with fine dining. i'll take your word on it. but people definitely want to eat southern food, whether or not serious foodies want it plated with a cane sugar gastrique or whatever.

I mean, the Michelin system of rating is highly opinionated, but check this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michelin_starred_restaurants#United_States

So I mean I'm not saying that none of those places should have Michelin ratings, but really?

Nothing in Charleston, Atlanta, Savannah, Richmond, New Orleans? Places known not only for food, but quality of service and hospitality, things that Michelin is supposed to highly value?

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    So many people where I live are building/buying new homes in the $400-$700k range and I don't know who the fuck all these people are or what they do for work

Because I have a pretty decent job and I can't afford much past my apartment even with little debt.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Vancouver's gonna fucked sometime in the near future, though, thanks to an idiot speculation market that nobody seems to be able to deal with even though everyone acknowledges that it's a problem.

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    To be fair I've never met anyone who gave even half a shit about Michelin ratings or even knew that they existed outside TV.

TBH I'm not sure they've ever been consulted outside of Manhattan.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

no it's cool the market will crash again

Recent events have made this goddamn near inevitable.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    @Atomika what are your thoughts on NOLA olive salad

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Eating one last pean butt moch then bed.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    @Atomika what are your thoughts on NOLA olive salad

I have none

I am not an olive

I'm barely a salad

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    whew. just barely avoided stepping on a babby scorpion. This is good news and also terrible news. Good news: I don't have to go to urgent care or deal with the pain. Terrible News: since it was babby it means there are lots more skittering about the premises that I can now have massive anxiety about.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i am searching zillow for the city where i live (about 45m from downtown boulder, about an hour from downtown denver). minimum 750 sqft, 2br, reasonably modern interior (mostly or all hardwood, a kitchen island). the cheapest i see is 268,000. i guess by the 2.5x rule of thumb that means i'd have to be making 107,000 dollars per year to think about that (not even considering the dreaded down payment or the competitiveness of loans right now)

and 268 seems to be really cheap for anywhere that isn't rural arkansas

dang

• Options
    i am searching zillow for the city where i live (about 45m from downtown boulder, about an hour from downtown denver). minimum 750 sqft, 2br, reasonably modern interior (mostly or all hardwood, a kitchen island). the cheapest i see is 268,000. i guess by the 2.5x rule of thumb that means i'd have to be making 107,000 dollars per year to think about that (not even considering the dreaded down payment or the competitiveness of loans right now)

and 268 seems to be really cheap for anywhere that isn't rural arkansas

dang

Cinders was freaking out a few months back because she applied to a place in San Francisco before looking at rents there

The closest thing in her price range was two cities away

. . and it wasn't nice

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

is sugarland good

It's terribly frustrating because they used to not cost so much. In the 80s when my parents were in the market, they cost about $150k in 2016 dollars. Now they're over $400k and incomes are down or flat. This ladder-pulling, dear fucking god.

didn't the 80's have the problem where they fucked up the credit economy somehow so interest rates for home loans were like 10%?

so nobody could afford shit

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    But olive salad is so much better than either olive or salad

Tapenade!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Southern food has been raked through the mud, because it fits a convenient narrative. These backwoods stupid folk couldn't possibly make anything nuanced, instead everything is simple and heavy-handed because they possess no talent.

I have literally never, ever, ever heard this.

Same. The only reputation I've heard is that it's good, cheap, and unhealthy. I've also never heard "simple" used as a pejorative in cooking but I'm not in the biz. Usually I hear simple used to convey that a recipe is easy to make but deceptively difficult to perfect, or that it leans heavily on ingredient quality.

I know exactly what Alazull is talking about... southern food is fried, bad for you, full of carbs, includes no veggies, has no nuance.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    But olive salad is so much better than either olive or salad

Tapenade!

but olives taste like pickled mothballs

I don't get them, as a thing

• Options
    alright once i fraud my way into a reasonable salary with a remote job what backwards shithole that's no more than 60m from a city of 250,000+ should i move to so i can afford good digs

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Vancouver's gonna fucked sometime in the near future, though, thanks to an idiot speculation market that nobody seems to be able to deal with even though everyone acknowledges that it's a problem.:|

What? Vancouver's housing market cooled significantly in November.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

is sugarland good

It's terribly frustrating because they used to not cost so much. In the 80s when my parents were in the market, they cost about $150k in 2016 dollars. Now they're over $400k and incomes are down or flat. This ladder-pulling, dear fucking god.

didn't the 80's have the problem where they fucked up the credit economy somehow so interest rates for home loans were like 10%?

yeah, but I kinda regret not sticking my meager college fund into a CD back in 1999 when the rate was 7.5%

I was at the bank yesterday and the rate was 0.15%

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

is sugarland good

No, the same architects of the "SubPrime" loan shit in the 00's cut their teeth on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_loan_crisis

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    ITT: Feral disagrees with everyone.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    alright once i fraud my way into a reasonable salary with a remote job what backwards shithole that's no more than 60m from a city of 250,000+ should i move to so i can afford good digs

Yeah I feel like I'm going to have to take a remote job in USD and then move to rural PEI to ever afford a place

• Options
    edited December 2016

you can find that pretty much anywhere between Texas and Virginia

Atomika on
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    Vancouver's gonna fucked sometime in the near future, though, thanks to an idiot speculation market that nobody seems to be able to deal with even though everyone acknowledges that it's a problem.:|

What? Vancouver's housing market cooled significantly in November.

Yeah it's now merely highly unaffordable instead of actively insane

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Boston has no Michelin star restauraunts which is... sensible really it makes perfect sense. There is not really a high end fine dining culture here at all. Just about a quadrillion middle level places for college students with rich parents.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Oh no it's still actively insane never mind.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I spent WAY too much time today attaching shit to my 22 survival rifle.

It now has:

- a stock pouch with a padded cheek rest
    - a pretty good small fixed blade knife with a locking plastic sheath
    - a firesteel
    - 22lr and subsonic 22lr ammo
    - a compass
    - a paracord wrap over part of the barrel for a better grip in cold weather

It will soon have:

- a rimfire scope (if I can figure out how to mount one without losing the iron sights
    - a detachable flashlight

It had:

- a brand new cleaning kit from Avid which broke the first time I tried using it. I couldn't get a bore snake to work either so I dunno what the fuck I'm gonna do there.

• Options
    Boston has no Michelin star restauraunts which is... sensible really it makes perfect sense. There is not really a high end fine dining culture here at all. Just about a quadrillion middle level places for college students with rich parents.

Man where were you when I was bagging on Boston's food scene and people were trying to give me guff

• Options
    this situation is so counterintuitive to me. like, i get that plenty of old folks just pass down their homes so some people luck out there. and i get that foreign investors buy pricey real estate as an investment, leading developers to construct only high end properties instead of starter homes. but even so- 400k+ to get a decent house near the habitated part of every major city i'm looking at? that's 160k salary by the rule of thumb.

two entry level engineers together can't buy a house? two cops can't? that's so wild to me. that sucks.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ITT: Feral disagrees with everyone.

Come on. Not everyone..

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

iono I feel like it's self-reinforcing

the american michelin judges only go to chicago, new york, and LA

so the michelin quality chefs only go to those cites

meanwhile the east asia michelin judges are giving out stars to food carts

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Yeah feral detached homes in Van proper are still 1.5 to 2 mil CAD. Condos upwards of a million. That's ... 4 to 8x the rest of the country?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options

iono I feel like it's self-reinforcing

the american michelin judges only go to chicago, new york, and LA

so the michelin quality chefs only go to those cites

meanwhile the east asia michelin judges are giving out stars to food carts

There's a lot of younger "Famous" chefs that have made their way to smaller big cities like Nashville and the like. We've got a couple of Top Chef finalists here that have opened little restaurants and are doing the food truck thing because they didn't want the big city food critic hassle.

This discussion has been closed.