Options

Oscars Pool '17: Congrats SabreMau! Congrats Moonlight!

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited February 2017 in Social Entropy++
oM8R4A0.png

This here is my buddy, Oscar. Every year, they give out like 50 of him (though they only televise like 15-20). This year, they will be giving out the Oscars on Sunday, February 26, 2017.

Here are the nominees. DO NOT PREDICT YET! I will put the form up tonight or tomorrow.
Goose! wrote: »
Here be a form for you to submit your predictions!

Predictions are due by 11:59 PM ET Saturday, February 25, 2017. Good luck, everyone!
Hey guys and gals, these are predictions are due in roughly 2 and a half days. So far I have received 11 responses. Since I somehow forgot to mention this in the OP THE WINNER WILL RECEIVE A $50 MOVIE THEATER GIFT CARD TO THE CHAIN OF THEIR CHOICE that allows you to buy e-gift cards.

I'd say plus other stuff but I don't think other pledgers of prizes have been ponying up lately. So, get them in!

Goose! on

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    mother of fuck

Suicide Squad is now able to put "oscar nominee" on its promo material

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Let's see if I can repeat as champ this year

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Raij did I get you your prize? I never remember.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I am going to throw a full on fit if Kubo and the Two Strings doesn't win best animated.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I legit feel bad for the supporting actress noms. No way in hell Viola Davis should be there.

She would have easily won LEAD, supporting is basically the Hulk beating up a bunch of babies.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Yes you did. @Yaya proved to be untrustworthy though

• Options
    I am going to throw a full on fit if Kubo and the Two Strings doesn't win best animated.

You better keep that fit ready to go then.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

Yes you did. @Yaya proved to be untrustworthy though

LIES

(I totally spaced I'll get you on the Facebooks)

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Oh I thought Deadpool got a makeup nomination or something, weird

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    La La Land has two songs. Is that normal?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    La La Land has two songs. Is that normal?

I don't think its unprecedented. There have been multiple nominations in other categories in the past (Supporting actors, for example). It depends on what the studio submits to the Academy.

• Options
    Also, so much for Deadpool getting a Best Picture nom, yeah.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    did.... someone think deadpool would get a best picture nom?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Goose it looks like you copied some Related Links along with the list of nominees that you might want to edit out

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Goose it looks like you copied some Related Links along with the list of nominees that you might want to edit out

though pertaining to that--is manchester by the sea streaming on prime?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

If it's anything like how Chi-Raq went, it'll be available on Prime before it's available anywhere else (and probably within a month or two) but not like, before it's out of theaters.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

No. It says coming to Prime in the spring on the Amazon listing. Available to buy and possibly rent on Feb 7.

• Options

I'm guessing they did a hilarious For Your Consideration campaign or something

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Hermano wrote: »

I'm guessing they did a hilarious For Your Consideration campaign or something

So wacky

No other superhero movie would do something like that

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Congratulations to the malfunctioning Home Depot paint mixer for its Suicide Squad nom!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Can we talk about what a travesty it is that Green Room wasn't nominated for anything?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Can we talk about what a travesty it is that Green Room wasn't nominated for anything?

And the Witch
    and Hunt for the Wilderpeople
    and 10 Cloverfield Lane

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Green Room deserves a production design award, if nothing else

That club felt so fucking real, hearing that it was all created on a soundstage blew me the fuck away

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Ok, i'm going to confess something in this thread because Best Animated is the only category i feel comfortable caring about
    I didn't like Kubo and the Two Strings very much

The beats of the plot and the fight scenes where great, but the voice acting performances left something to be desired (Except Kubo and his grandpa, thank god) and some of the dialogue was way too clunky for me

• Options
    Green Room deserves a production design award, if nothing else

That club felt so fucking real, hearing that it was all created on a soundstage blew me the fuck away

Fuck, I assumed that was all a real place they'd found!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Those are the movies that never get nominated.

We need a new awards show.

I'm going to start one.

The Raijin's

I just need a nude cast of @Rorshach Kringle to use as the statue.

• Options
    Those are the movies that never get nominated.

We need a new awards show.

I'm going to start one.

The Raijin's

I just need a nude cast of Rorshach Kringle to use as the statue.

Yeah like, I know

I think I just got hopeful after the Fury Road noms last year

I started thinking there was someone involved with the Oscars who had my taste in movies

• Options
    Now it's time to watch all the shorts that I have apparently completely missed.

At least Inner Workings was not nominated. There is some good in the world.

• Options
    edited January 2017

There was buzz after it was nominated by the Golden Globes and the Producers' Guild, since those voters also vote in the Academy.

Goose! on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The Oscars feels worse than normal and way more back-patting than before. I dunno if it's because of the current political climate.

I still don't understand the Meryl Streep love.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    I have less than zero interest in watching Florence Foster Jenkins.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The only movies up there I've seen are zootopia, rogue one, and dr strange.

I feel like I've really fallen off on seeing critically acclaimed films.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    https://youtu.be/WqCH4DNQBUA
    This is the only animated short up on youtube. It's 360, which is cool. The actual short is... ok.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

You better keep that fit ready to go then.

It was a really good movie, but Moana and Zootopia were both better.

Never bet against Disney in the animated feature category, unless their nominee is part of the Cars franchise.

Marathon on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Kubo was beautiful but also had big pacing problems for me

It deserves that Visual Effects nom but definitely not Animated Feature

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Here be a form for you to submit your predictions!

Predictions are due by 11:59 PM ET Saturday, February 25, 2017. Good luck, everyone!

Goose! on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    was wiener-dog nominated for anything

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

It won the ASPCA's prestigious Fuck You Award.

• Options

Actually, A Dog's Purpose managed to snatch that one out from under it in a last minute upset

• Options

Actually, A Dog's Purpose managed to snatch that one out from under it in a last minute upset

I'm not sure A Dog's Purpose has the same level of graphic violence though.