As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Too Human - New thread is up

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have trouble considering diablo an "action rpg." more an 'action adventure' game to me. I guess the difference being when I think of an rpg, I think of a final fantasy type game with many quests and side-quests (oblivion even if you will) and not a pretty linear 'kill all da demons until you win.' I would put in a bit about random loot drops, but well, FF XII just screwed that all up for me.

Having said that, I'll happily consider a sci-fi RPG. But the problem with most of the RPGs I end up seeing is that I can't even get captured into the story or characters. For some reason FF can do this to me within like 5 minutes, but other ones, couldn't care less for some reason. Even oblivion did until I realized it would take FOREVER to level up some skills I was lacking after I side tracked into a few quest lines.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, when I think of games that have one stick for movement and one stick for directional attacks, I think of Robotron, not Rise to Honor.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    well i listened to what 1UP had to say about this, and it sounds good. I could actually see myself getting it early on, as long as review scores hold up.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ToyD wrote: »
    I have trouble considering diablo an "action rpg." more an 'action adventure' game to me. I guess the difference being when I think of an rpg, I think of a final fantasy type game with many quests and side-quests (oblivion even if you will) and not a pretty linear 'kill all da demons until you win.' I would put in a bit about random loot drops, but well, FF XII just screwed that all up for me.

Having said that, I'll happily consider a sci-fi RPG. But the problem with most of the RPGs I end up seeing is that I can't even get captured into the story or characters. For some reason FF can do this to me within like 5 minutes, but other ones, couldn't care less for some reason. Even oblivion did until I realized it would take FOREVER to level up some skills I was lacking after I side tracked into a few quest lines.

I have trouble considering Final Fantasy an RPG.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    More and more that's probably true with not being able to deviate your path almost at all until the end of the game anymore.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    4 player co-op makes me extremely interested in this game, as does the setting.

I think it will turn out good and lots of people will enjoy it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Lets see what Diablos controls were... Ah yes

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* and yet it is still hailed as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. I'm not bagging it, I love Diablo and Diablo 2 but the controls are tedious as all hell.

you don't have to wrestle with them
    they are not an obstruction
    they perform their job perfectly

this is completely and utterly different to a bad control scheme

bongi on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bongi wrote: »

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* and yet it is still hailed as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. I'm not bagging it, I love Diablo and Diablo 2 but the controls are tedious as all hell.

And hey, you're doing it wrong. It was *click* hold.

Everyone keeps clicking, like you need to make him swing, you don't.

And yeah, it was a fine control scheme for the game it was.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited October 2007
    bongi wrote: »

And hey, you're doing it wrong. It was *click* hold.

Everyone keeps clicking, like you need to make him swing, you don't.

And yeah, it was a fine control scheme for the game it was.

my friend's constant click click click when playing diablo 2 was one of the most irritating things i can remember

i was just like "HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY"

and he was like "oh okay i didn't know you could do that"

*click click click click*

bongi on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Considering that PSU is dead to me this could well be the true next gen PSO that I have wanted.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The latest dev diary immersed me in flow.

Hoz on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Y'know, I'm interested in playing this, but what I'm really looking forward to is an Eternal Darkness sequel. Come on, Silicon Knights, you've been making this for years now. Hurry it up.

Burnage on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Burnage wrote: »
    Y'know, I'm interested in playing this, but what I'm really looking forward to is an Eternal Darkness sequel. Come on, Silicon Knights, you've been making this for years now. Hurry it up.

Every second spent on develpment of this could have been spent making a sequel to Eternal Darkness.

If this game isn't good, I'm going to be... grumpy.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Burnage wrote: »

No kidding. If it wasn't for RE4 (okay REC:V was close, too) ED would be my favorite Survival Horror game ever. I'd love to see a new set of Insanities!

Timmer on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm just amazed that their gameplay footage looks better than the 'cinematic' they posted for the last E3.

That said I'm looking forward to this now that I have a 360.

devoir on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dennis Dyack just called out Neogaf for being total assholes

Jesus Christ it's a clusterfuck of epic proportions, and as per usual Neogaf act the same way they are getting called out on.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    uh oh

I get the feeling Dyack really shouldn't be doing this sort of thing

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would submit that it is, in fact, Denis Dyack who is the total asshole. And maker of severely overhyped (at least in his own mind) games.

I stand by my statements that, all else considered, the control scheme is retarded. And I'm sure the game will be a complete cakewalk (like every other console ARPG ever), which really hurts it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought Dyack was against judging games before they're released.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What the fuck is he even bitching about in that?

It sounds like hes just going DENIS DYACK IS ABOUT TO MAKE YOU HIS BITCH!

Wait I'm sorry I meant.. OWNED BY TOO HUMAN! LAWLS

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Full page ad in the Times?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why is Polago so angry at NeoGAF?

Gosh.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I would submit that it is, in fact, Denis Dyack who is the total asshole. And maker of severely overhyped (at least in his own mind) games.

I stand by my statements that, all else considered, the control scheme is retarded. And I'm sure the game will be a complete cakewalk (like every other console ARPG ever), which really hurts it.

No no, make no mistake. GAf forumers are assholes. I'm including myself in this statement.

Dyack though, oh boy.

First rule of the internet is dont ever think you can take on large groups of people. No matter how right or how much proof you have.

What Dyack has just done is walked into a Lion pen and pissed on the floor and expected the lions to accept him as king.

What he doesnt know is that they are going to eat him alive.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dyack is so obnoxious. I saw an interview that Geoff Keighley did with him, and he's just going on about Too Human like it's the hottest shit. Something like, "I haven't seen a game like this made in recent history" when he was talking about the mix of RPG and action, and the cinematic quality. I was like... really? Has he played any games lately?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Remember guys, at this point, Too Human is still an unknown quantity.

I could be the best game ever made. Seriously, it has the potential. PSO meets Diablo in Norse Mythology. It does in fact have win written on the box.

On the other hand, unless Too Human is a 95-96 game then Dyack will be crucified. And I mean that literally.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah he is kind of cocky.

But why is this megaton news? Just more of Dyacks massive hard on for too human.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't even care about what the control scheme is.

My main issue is that the animations for combat look so god damn weird. I know I've posted this same thing here before, but I'll do it again. Each swing seems to have absolutely no 'weight' behind it. I wish I had a better term to use than 'weight', but I can't come up with anything. In Devil May Cry, when I swing my sword, there is a satisfying thunk, and the enemy moves - there is something visceral about that.

With Too Human it looks like he's just swinging his weapons around, killing bad guys, but has no real interaction between the two objects. Maybe the hitboxes are off or something. It just looks weird.

I suppose we have to give them props for at least not naming this '2 Human'.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    On the other hand, unless Too Human is a 95-96 game then Dyack will be crucified. And I mean that literally.

So if the game isn't 95-96, someone is going to nail Dyack to a cross?

People use "I mean that literally" way too much. And I mean that literally.

devoir on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Someone make a 2 Fast 2 Furious joke, I can't be bothered.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Each swing seems to have absolutely no 'weight' behind it.

Neither do alot of RPGs, World of Warcraft, Neverwinter Nights, Diablo 2, god the list goes on.

World of Warcraft is highly guilty of this, and yet no one bats an eyelid.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Neither do alot of RPGs, World of Warcraft, Neverwinter Nights, Diablo 2, god the list goes on.

I disagree. The loud Clang of a vengeance proc or SPLAT of deep wounds proccing when I crit in WoW is very, very satisfying.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

MMO kinda get a free pass in that regard, I don't expect auto-attacking to feel "meaty" in any sense. But with an Action RPG I do. That said they wanted the game to be more than click-combat ala Diablo so I would expect the combat to have some weight to it like MegaMan001 described. I'm not passing judgment yet by any means, but the videos I have seen to give me that impression as well and I'm not a huge fan of analog stick controlled combat either. The premise, however, has me intrigued, so I'll probably be watching reviews and fan reaction pretty closely around release and hopefully there will be a demo available as well so I can get a feel for the game myself.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't even care about what the control scheme is.

My main issue is that the animations for combat look so god damn weird. I know I've posted this same thing here before, but I'll do it again. Each swing seems to have absolutely no 'weight' behind it. I wish I had a better term to use than 'weight', but I can't come up with anything. In Devil May Cry, when I swing my sword, there is a satisfying thunk, and the enemy moves - there is something visceral about that.

With Too Human it looks like he's just swinging his weapons around, killing bad guys, but has no real interaction between the two objects. Maybe the hitboxes are off or something. It just looks weird.

This lack of weight or power behind hits is my biggest beef with the video I've seen. Hammers shouldn't be swung around like wiffle bats.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    devoir wrote: »

So if the game isn't 95-96, someone is going to nail Dyack to a cross?

People use "I mean that literally" way too much. And I mean that literally.

You see that was my joke.

I fully understand what the word 'literally' means. I'm a wordsmith.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I disagree. The loud Clang of a vengeance proc or SPLAT of deep wounds proccing when I crit in WoW is very, very satisfying.

That is just a sound and a 6 frame animation of the upper torso leaning back. Get hit by a giant ball of fire, same animation, get hit by a giant sword - same animation, in some cases also the animation does not even play - they're taking damage an they just stand there like dopes.

Also - MMOs are not the exeption to the rule, Age of Conan has more hands on brutal combat - name an MMO where you can knock someone from off their feet turn them around and slit their throat, or chop off both arms spin them around and then decapitate them.

Also if anyone did not notice, they're robots being faught. Big Heavy robots who have no feeling. I do also recall in one of the previews that the characters jumped on the back of the enemy and beat it down from above and it came crashing down with a thud.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    4 player co-op makes me extremely interested in this game, as does the setting.

I think it will turn out good and lots of people will enjoy it.

It's too bad the co-op is only 2 players though. :|

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

That is just a sound and a 6 frame animation of the upper torso leaning back. Get hit by a giant ball of fire, same animation, get hit by a giant sword - same animation, in some cases also the animation does not even play - they're taking damage an they just stand there like dopes.

Also - MMOs are not the exeption to the rule, Age of Conan has more hands on brutal combat - name an MMO where you can knock someone from off their feet turn them around and slit their throat, or chop off both arms spin them around and then decapitate them.

Also if anyone did not notice, they're robots being faught. Big Heavy robots who have no feeling. I do also recall in one of the previews that the characters jumped on the back of the enemy and beat it down from above and it came crashing down with a thud.

Its a simulation, and it varies. There is no way to define exactly what we are talking about. I'm just saying, WoW is a step ahead of most other MMOs, conan aside.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Its a simulation, and it varies. There is no way to define exactly what we are talking about. I'm just saying, WoW is a step ahead of most other MMOs, conan aside.

Yeah but in WoW you cant kill ten million people in a single attack. Like you can in EVE.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I should have included this part into the conversation that MegaMan001 mentioned -

"My main issue is that the animations for combat look so god damn weird. I know I've posted this same thing here before, but I'll do it again. Each swing seems to have absolutely no 'weight' behind it. I wish I had a better term to use than 'weight', but I can't come up with anything. In Devil May Cry, when I swing my sword, there is a satisfying thunk, and the enemy moves - there is something visceral about that."

I think thats the whole part I was talking about. That the characters have no weight in their attacks and the response is no better. I'm just wondering why Too Human is not allowed all these "Exceptions"

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What Dyack has just done is walked into a Lion pen and pissed on the floor and expected the lions to accept him as king.

This is the best summation ever.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
This discussion has been closed.