Options

[Science] A thread of good guesses, bad guesses and telling the difference.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I like the soft hood design. Probably went a long way toward their weight reduction and flexibility goals.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    How much longer is it going to take before we start seeing suites that maintain pressure without the need to inflate the entire suite like an airbag? I've bee watching documentaries about it for years and everyone says it just around the corner.

• Options
    I'm not sure that'll ever be a practical implementation for space suits. Unless the entire thing is rigid, you'll always run into the problem that P(internal) always > P(external). And rigid suits would be too heavy and immobile to be practical. Zero-volume-change joints like we use now are the best compromise.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Did you know that there's been longitudinal study of smart kids that has been running for the past 45 years?
    It's called the Study of Mathematically Precocious Youth (SMPY), run by Vanderbuilt University.
    The Nature journal summarized some of the recent findings and one interesting bit popped out at me.
    The SMPY data supported the idea of accelerating fast learners by allowing them to skip school grades. In a comparison of children who bypassed a grade with a control group of similarly smart children who didn't, the grade-skippers were 60% more likely to earn doctorates or patents and more than twice as likely to get a PhD in a STEM field. Acceleration is common in SMPY's elite 1-in-10,000 cohort, whose intellectual diversity and rapid pace of learning make them among the most challenging to educate. Advancing these students costs little or nothing, and in some cases may save schools money, says Lubinski. “These kids often don't need anything innovative or novel,” he says, “they just need earlier access to what's already available to older kids.”
    As one of those kids who should've skipped a grade (as I had tested out of nearly all my college freshman engineering classes), watching my sister's kids get screwed over by their school system, for basically being too smart, the fact that there are such simple solutions to the problem of dealing with smart kids just boils my blood.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    It occurs to me that the Boeing spacesuit hood-helmet looks a lot like the Quarian suit from Mass Effect.
    starliner_gallery17_960.jpg

• Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    Scientists and science enthusiasts are organizing a March for Science, similar to the recent Women's March.

https://www.facebook.com/marchforscience/

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I'm not sure that'll ever be a practical implementation for space suits. Unless the entire thing is rigid, you'll always run into the problem that P(internal) always > P(external). And rigid suits would be too heavy and immobile to be practical. Zero-volume-change joints like we use now are the best compromise.
    I wonder if we could design a soft suit (akin to the Boeing one) that could be worn directly underneath an EVA suit?
    It would minimize downtime when moving between suits, especially when egressing from a vehicle like a rover that doesn't have an airlock, like in one of NASA's designs/concept prototype.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Turns out you can't trust Russian rockets.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/russia-recalling-dozens-of-rocket-engines-sacks-head-motor-builder/
    According to the news reports, the final straw may have come after recent tests of engines to be used by future second and third stages of the Proton rocket that resulted in more failures. "The failure of the engine was reportedly traced to illegal replacement of precious heat-resistant alloys within the engine's components with less expensive but failure-prone materials," Zak writes. The Russian space agency, Roscosmos, has already recalled some of the engines to be used in the upper stage of its Soyuz rockets, and now it is also recalling dozens of Proton upper stage engines. The next Proton launch could be delayed into this summer.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

ignoring thermal and radiation insulation.

if you have a stretchy airtight spandex like suit that applies 1ish atmosphere of pressure, doesn't that keep you from popping?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

if you have a stretchy airtight spandex like suit that applies 1ish atmosphere of pressure, doesn't that keep you from popping?

what do you mean by 'popping'?

space suits are generally 1/3 of atmospheric pressure so it's really not much and there's no danger of explosive decompression like you see in movies. The bulk is just the product of a suit that's both reliable, flexible and cost effective.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

space suits are generally 1/3 of atmospheric pressure so it's really not much and there's no danger of explosive decompression like you see in movies. The bulk is just the product of a suit that's both reliable, flexible and cost effective.

well... having the liquid in my body sublimate? you know. Die in space through not asphixia or hypoyhermia.

basically talking about the reather common scifi concept of a pressure suit. dealie which only addresses the issue of vacuum, but has basically zero bulk and doesn't leak air if punctured.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Well you're in luck, there's not many ways to die in space that aren't caused by asphyxia. Like maybe by a screw driver traveling at a 2000 kph. Everything else won't be an issue until hours after you've been killed by asphyxia.

Rigid suits are possible, they just cost a ton more with no real benefit.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Your skin solves the pressure issue pretty well by itself, helmet notwithstanding. These suits are more accurately environment suits than just pressure vessels. Spacesuits have to include both heating and cooling control, as excessive heat is as much if not more of a problem in space than the cold.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

yes. Though really you only need like 1/3rd or even 1/4 atmosphere.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

there is a huge difference to the human body between 1/3rd and 0 pressure. The lack of pressure absolutely would kill you faster than temperature (either heat or cold) and it would be a near thing between that and lack of oxygen.

I think something like this at 15:27 is what That_Guy was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGmaXX59aq8

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Did you know that there's been longitudinal study of smart kids that has been running for the past 45 years?
    It's called the Study of Mathematically Precocious Youth (SMPY), run by Vanderbuilt University.
    The Nature journal summarized some of the recent findings and one interesting bit popped out at me.
    The SMPY data supported the idea of accelerating fast learners by allowing them to skip school grades. In a comparison of children who bypassed a grade with a control group of similarly smart children who didn't, the grade-skippers were 60% more likely to earn doctorates or patents and more than twice as likely to get a PhD in a STEM field. Acceleration is common in SMPY's elite 1-in-10,000 cohort, whose intellectual diversity and rapid pace of learning make them among the most challenging to educate. Advancing these students costs little or nothing, and in some cases may save schools money, says Lubinski. “These kids often don't need anything innovative or novel,” he says, “they just need earlier access to what's already available to older kids.”
    As one of those kids who should've skipped a grade (as I had tested out of nearly all my college freshman engineering classes), watching my sister's kids get screwed over by their school system, for basically being too smart, the fact that there are such simple solutions to the problem of dealing with smart kids just boils my blood.

How critical is any particular grade? The impression that I got from my education is that a lot of classes are basically learning slightly more advanced versions of the same thing over and over.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Math and the sciences introduce truly new concepts but there already exist advanced programs to let people effectively skip grades there so that's not an issue. Maybe the jump from simple writing to literary analysis would count as something new too. But for the most part yeah it is just learning slightly different, slightly more complex things over and over

Phyphor on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

You don't need that much pressure to prevent bruising of the skin. The problem is you are relying on physical pressure of a solid (suit fabric) against a complex shape (human body) that needs to be capable of movement. So concave areas like armpits and genitals are extremely difficult to do. You also need to avoid bunching and pinching at joints. Air pressure is convenient as it completely conforms to the body shape and provides even pressure everywhere and doesn't restrict movement. Downside being you are fighting the tendency of the suit to return to its natural shape as it's ballooned out by the pressure.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/hydrogen-metal-revolution-technology-space-rockets-superconductor-harvard-university-a7548221.html

Probably too expensive to use metal hydrogen as fuel but room temperature MRI magnets are quite exciting.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

there is a huge difference to the human body between 1/3rd and 0 pressure. The lack of pressure absolutely would kill you faster than temperature (either heat or cold) and it would be a near thing between that and lack of oxygen.

I think something like this at 15:27 is what That_Guy was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGmaXX59aq8

That's exactly the documentary I was talking about. Just coun't remember where I saw it.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    With the theoretical energy density of metastable metallic hydrogen, it would probably be worthwhile to use as a rocket fuel. We're talking much easier single stage to orbit craft here, with probably much greater cargo capacity. Just have to prove that it is actually metastable, because if they are wrong about that then it uses much of its usefulness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    How critical is any particular grade? The impression that I got from my education is that a lot of classes are basically learning slightly more advanced versions of the same thing over and over.
    http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/ND_v1.pdf
    According to the research, best is starting school early. Second best is skipping a grade in elementary or middle school, it doesn't matter what grade. The research shows that the smart middle schoolers can learn everything taught in the first year of high school in 3 weeks or less. But worst case, the student should still be able to skip a year in high school, or just start college early.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/hydrogen-metal-revolution-technology-space-rockets-superconductor-harvard-university-a7548221.html

Probably too expensive to use metal hydrogen as fuel but room temperature MRI magnets are quite exciting.

So it's a room temperature super-conductor?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    According to the research, best is starting school early. Second best is skipping a grade in elementary or middle school, it doesn't matter what grade. The research shows that the smart middle schoolers can learn everything taught in the first year of high school in 3 weeks or less. But worst case, the student should still be able to skip a year in high school, or just start college early.

What's the consensus on gifted programs? I skimmed that .pdf but didn't see anything talking about them.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

If it is stable at standard temperature and pressure, it should be superconductive. There is a lot of work to be done yet, but if the predictions are correct it should be absurdly valuable for a wide variety of things. We don't know what sort of physical properties it will have, or exactly how stable it will be, so a lot of the stuff being talked about is best case scenarios. It's certainly awesome, assuming they are correct about having created metallic hydrogen, but it might be super brittle or break down fairly quickly once removed from the high pressure setup it takes to create it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    What's the consensus on gifted programs? I skimmed that .pdf but didn't see anything talking about them.
    http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/ND_v2.pdf
    The second paper seems to suggest that gifted programs are good, but that if the kid is basically taking a lot of classes for gifted students, they really should be skipping a grade or applying for early entrance into college.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

If it is stable at standard temperature and pressure, it should be superconductive. There is a lot of work to be done yet, but if the predictions are correct it should be absurdly valuable for a wide variety of things. We don't know what sort of physical properties it will have, or exactly how stable it will be, so a lot of the stuff being talked about is best case scenarios. It's certainly awesome, assuming they are correct about having created metallic hydrogen, but it might be super brittle or break down fairly quickly once removed from the high pressure setup it takes to create it.

Man if that's stable under atmospheric pressure and room temperature... Seeing that would be like seeing a unicorn for me.

So many questions...The big one which strikes me is whether this would surrogate as "red mercury" - would a sphere of metallic hydrogen decomposing be able to fuse tritium?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

Man if that's stable under atmospheric pressure and room temperature... Seeing that would be like seeing a unicorn for me.

So many questions...The big one which strikes me is whether this would surrogate as "red mercury" - would a sphere of metallic hydrogen decomposing be able to fuse tritium?

No.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2017/01/26/electricity-not-heat-flows-in-vanadium-dioxide/
    For most metals, the relationship between electrical and thermal conductivity is governed by the Wiedemann-Franz Law. Simply put, the law states that good conductors of electricity are also good conductors of heat. That is not the case for metallic vanadium dioxide, a material already noted for its unusual ability to switch from an insulator to a metal when it reaches a balmy 67 degrees Celsius, or 152 degrees Fahrenheit.

“This was a totally unexpected finding,” said study principal investigator Junqiao Wu, a physicist at Berkeley Lab’s Materials Sciences Division and a UC Berkeley professor of materials science and engineering. “It shows a drastic breakdown of a textbook law that has been known to be robust for conventional conductors. This discovery is of fundamental importance for understanding the basic electronic behavior of novel conductors.”

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    on the subject of space suits, MIT was working for years on their "Biosuit" that was supposed to use mechanical pressure via a body-crossing lattice of cords:

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2007/07/one-giant-leap-for-space-fashion
    http://news.mit.edu/2014/second-skin-spacesuits-0918

biosuit_485.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Yeah, whatever happened to that research?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    apparently in 2015 the lead researcher on the biosuit at MIT went to work for NASA. Not sure what has come of that since.

edit: oh and she resigned Jan 20 2017

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    apparently in 2015 the lead researcher on the biosuit at MIT went to work for NASA. Not sure what has come of that since.

edit: oh and she resigned Jan 20 2017

Hopefully SpaceX pick her up I guess.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Either:
    A) They were never able to make it work
    :cool: They were never able to get funding for it.
    C) They got it to work, but it would be prohibitively expensive.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »

Either:
    A) They were never able to make it work
    :cool: They were never able to get funding for it.
    C) They got it to work, but it would be prohibitively expensive.

D) It got axed because some congressman didn't like it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    E) Cool Smiley didn't think it was cool enough.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Yeah, I remember that suit. That was a really innovative design! It would suck for all that work to go to waste.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I think I've mentioned this app before:

ISS Spotter by Mediapilot
    https://appsto.re/us/os8mF.i

But just wanted to point out that last night it successfully alerted me to the passing overhead of the international space station. Correct time, direction, inclination, and duration.

My daughter was pretty impressed with the rising star in the sky. :+1:

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The ISS is pretty cool to see going overhead. It can get surprisingly bright!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    The ISS is pretty cool to see going overhead. It can get surprisingly bright!

Not to mention fast. That thing books.

5gsowHm.png
This discussion has been closed.