As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help identifying if a truck is military or not?

useless4useless4 Registered User regular
Cross posted from Trump thread - Serious question, does anyone know if these are actual military trucks?
Military Trucks with Trump Flags
I saw them at 10ish AM on the day of the Womens' March in Haymarket, VA at I66 and 15 going north bound on 15. That is approx. 32 miles from DC straight down 66.

My dad also saw them shortly before at the Sheetz that is there.

I noticed inconsistent maintanence to include missing paint on the passenger door of one.
They were running without license plates or identification outside of the numbers on the back.
The people in the trucks were more Blackwater type people then military. They would not pass the physical fitness standards nor were they clean shaven - most had beards.

My dad who was in the Marines , Army National Guard and spent 30ish years on military bases as a civilian also called me to ask if i had seen them - he realized they were not military right away.

Initially they caught my attention because there is a paintball field down the road.
I thought they were the ALL IN! Type guys. Then I thought "hey that is a pretty new truck not like army surplus?" Then I thought "hey wait they are rolling without plates??!?"

Now I am hella curious what and who they are.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just watched a couple videos of them going through Kentucky.

Pretty sure they're either contractors or militia types. You'll notice there's no unit markings on the vehicles, and none of them have rear license plates. Unfortunately I couldn't see the front of any of them in the videos, so I don't know if they have them on the front or not.

Definitely a weird situation.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    They aren't a military convoy. I'll list everything that I can identify here that's jacked up.

Lack of Convoy Signs Any military vehicle traveling on a Interstate has these signs on their front/rear bumper.

Lack of Bumper Numbers. Every vehicle has a bumper number indicating its name (Example A-66) and its unit (Example 1-14 CAV). These guys have serialized numbers sprayed on the top of the doors.

Door Decoration. Looked like a B to me. That's a no go in the military world, especially CONUS side of the house. (Sergeant Major bear would probably rip the door off and beat you with it)

Looking at Variants of Humvees. It looks like an up armored humvee I've personally never seen the design they have before, but that doesn't conclude that they aren't military vehicles.

Driving. They're driving like assholes. For safety purposes convoys are only authorized to drive 45 MPH, generally. Maybe 50 MPH, 55 MPH if that's the authorized catch up speed, but these guy's are driving close to 60 MPH + at one point (Looking at driver's dash). Military Vehicles for all intent and purposes also drive in the far right lane, away from people. These vehicles are notorious for breaking down. The military wants to limit incidents involving civilians. (I say this because I've had a Stryker lose it's tire (100 pounds if I had to guess) on I5 near Exit 144 near Tacoma. We played a perfect game of frogger with that tire until it stopped rolling in the HOV Lane where a man in a KIA ran that shit over and totaled his car.

Summary: Nope. They aren't military.

Edit: More Images as what right looks like.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Yea, gonna go out on a limb and say it's a Kentucky militia. It wouldn't be hard to get some 4 door up armoured trucks. As active duty and national guard have been selling them off left and right as we replace our fleet.

@waffen is 100% right in all of his observations. The missing convoy signs is a dead giveaway. No NCO wants the letter of reprimand that would come with that convoy.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I stand corrected.

In my defense, SF does whatever they want, literally.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Come on Sir! SOF not SF(is Army)!

You should know this by now. Someone's team chief is going to get an ass chewing and then they will all laugh over some beers at all the snowflakes and their hurt feelings.

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ok so if it turns out they were Special Foces, it's bad that they were flying a Trump flag.

But what concerns me more is the aggressive driving and the lack of any identifying marks.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I was being sarcastic. There is zero chance the people driving these trucks were Special Forces. They were likely guns for hire like Blackwater. The trucks might be legit , but the purpose and people were likely not.

(The main factor is these guys couldn't pass a traditional military fitness requirement, let alone a special forces one)

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic. There is zero chance the people driving these trucks were Special Forces. They were likely guns for hire like Blackwater. The trucks might be legit , but the purpose and people were likely not.

(The main factor is these guys couldn't pass a traditional military fitness requirement, let alone a special forces one)

Ahem?
    Reached by email, Lt. Jacqui Maxwell, a spokeswoman for Naval Special Warfare Group Two, released a statement confirming that the vehicles captured on video and cameras were based in Fort Knox, Ky., and were driven by members of an East Coast Naval Special Warfare unit. At the time, she noted, the convoy was traveling between two military training areas.

“Department of Defense and Navy regulations prescribe flags and pennants that may be displayed as well as the manner of display,” the statement said. “The flag shown in the video was unauthorized. A command inquiry into this matter has been initiated.”

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    useless4 wrote: »

Special Forces of any kind have relaxed grooming standards. Wearing kit can also make you appear to be "bigger" than you really are as well.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    mt

Waffles or whatever on