Options

PS3 Ad Campaigns: 1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
As a PS3 owner I was very happy with the recent R&CF:ToD and Uncharted TV spots that have been airing. Finally some ads that might move a few consoles this Christmas. We all remember the dismal Launch campaign with possessed baby dolls and levitating consoles. Those recent ads for actual games were a breath of fresh air. Then Sony farted again.

Check out the new (I think) campaign.
"Evolving Entertainment"
"Processing Power"
"Golden Glitter"

Collage of those 3 plus a 4th labelled as "European TV Spot"
I hope to Christ these are only airing in Europe. They were filmed in Prague and I don't want to know how much Sony blew on the budget.

I'm gonna get the obligatory out of the way before it shows up in the first response. lolsony.

Response to those clips is already abyssmal, (but then every comment section on Gametrailers is a shitstorm.) I was left with a kind of wide-eyed, slack-jawed "WTF did I just watch" expression on my face. I don't know what the target audience for this is but I'm suddenly filled with an inexplicable urge to go watch LazyTown or Cirque du Soleil.

If I could email a bucket of icewater to the face, followed up by a slap and a backhand to the person who greenlighted this I would. Wake the fuck up.

Let our own shitstorm commence

*EDIT* Thread title edited for clarity.
If I come across more information on this series of ads I'll add it to the OP.

muttonchops.png
MuttonChops on

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I already think the PSP ads they air are awful.

Basically, they say "if you buy a PSP, annoying people will harass you."

Evander on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ahahahahhahahahahahahaha.

Sorry.

They just keep getting better.

Best spoofs ever.
    Oh shit, spots

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Evander wrote: »

that's pretty much the takeaway message i'm getting from those ads.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The PS3 isn't the only thing Sony can't make decent ads for. Check out the new Bravia TV ads that involve shit like paint exploding all over an apartment building or a bunch of bouncy balls rolling down the street if SF, with no mention at all of the damn TV's.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That Golden Glitter spot is fantastically gay.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I actually said out loud "Ohh my God." at the processing power one.

My tone was that of disappointment.

Xeno on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Xeno wrote: »
    I actually said out loud "Ohh my God." at the processing power one.

My tone was that of disappointment.

I kept expecting the Burger King to show up.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That Golden Glitter spot is fantastically gay.

It's not so much gay as it is stupid. There's no way to tell it's even about the PS3 until the throw the logo up there and then you;re just left with an overpowering WTF moment.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    The PS3 isn't the only thing Sony can't make decent ads for. Check out the new Bravia TV ads that involve shit like paint exploding all over an apartment building or a bunch of bouncy balls rolling down the street if SF, with no mention at all of the damn TV's.

Hey now, the Bravia ads are fantastic.

I mean, their message is pretty damn clear. Bravia brings lots of color.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The worst part is that some executive thought that these ads were the fucking bees knees and should be shown to the public.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What the fuck did I just watch?

reVerse on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

All of you PSP/PS3 owners who get criticized for their choices in gaming systems on here, don't get mad at us. We're just holding up our end of our agreement with Sony.

jothki on
  • Options
    LaredenLareden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you all honestly think the majority of ads that any company puts out are great? Wake up people! Ads are pretty fucking stupid in general.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whoa wait wait WHAT??? Art direction in a commercial? Where's my black and white side-by-side comparison? Where's the flashing logo and phone number?

I think these are cool. The dancing one, not so much. But the first two I thought were clever and delivered the message without treating me like an idiot.

JRosey on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    OP doesn't have enough
    skatkat2jw1.jpg

MC Skat Kat!

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Whoa wait wait WHAT??? Art direction in a commercial? Where's my black and white side-by-side comparison? Where's the flashing logo and phone number?

I think these are cool. The dancing one, not so much. But the first two I thought were clever and delivered the message without treating me like an idiot.

As a graphic designer I can appreciate the art direction. Do I think it achieved it's goal? Does it make it a good campaign? No. I'm going to say that majority of people are going to be left with the "What the fuck did I just watch" reaction. It's already happened a couple times in this thread.

The first two links I put up are clear and concise, with good art direction using game models and don't treat anyone like an idiot.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As a graphic designer I can appreciate the art direction. Do I think it achieved it's goal? Does it make it a good campaign? No. I'm going to say that majority of people are going to be left with the "What the fuck did I just watch" reaction. It's already happened a couple times in this thread.

The first two links I put up are clear and concise, with good art direction using game models and don't treat anyone like an idiot.

Well... yeah you're right.

JRosey on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I came into this thread looking for some good old lolsony and it did not disappoint. The glitter ad is more lol europe though really.

Saddler on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JRosey wrote: »

Now, if you can find 9 other people that think like you, you too could form a sony marketing focus group!

Rook on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Saddler wrote: »
    I came into this thread looking for some good old lolsony and it did not disappoint. The glitter ad is more lol europe though really.

I can't help but wonder if this ad is somehow the product of market testers compiling all the information they are handed.
    It might actually be insulting...like what Americans think will appeal to Europeans.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yawn... not this shit again. What about that retarded 360 kid that has spawned a hillarious meme all across the webs? Now THATS funny.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Terrible. Absolutely Terrible.

I'd still rather watch them for 24 hours straight if it meant not having to spend another minute on the "Get Your Own" PSP ads.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    JRosey wrote: »

Now, if you can find 9 other people that think like you, you too could form a sony marketing focus group!

:lol:

At the ads:

:lol:

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You guys did read that Sony fired the ad agency that made all those shitty Euro ads and highered Donny Deutsch's company right?

Hopefully they will have some better ads now.

Drool on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Temper your anger towards sony with this pretty sweet bravia commercial I'd never seen before

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why is it that Sony's Europe ads are so terrible? Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the U.S. ads for the Playstation 3 been, on a whole, actually not that bad? The launch ones were a little creepy, at least the baby doll one, but they still managed to show game footage. And the latest ads Stateside are pretty great.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The "ladies and gentlemen" ads are good. I hope whatever this nonsense is doesn't get shown here. Unless Sony wants to murder their holiday sales.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But that's a terrible, terrible song.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yawn... not this shit again. What about that retarded 360 kid that has spawned a hillarious meme all across the webs? Now THATS funny.

I'm guessing you haven't watched the ads. You really, really need to do so.

I'm a guy who's hoping Sony gets their act together, but this.... oh dear lord. This is crap. The "evolving" one was halfway decent artistically until the final, "realistic" model malfunctioned. Way to poke a hole in your message, guys! And none of them made me think "huh, Imma go buy a PS3 now."

Edit: The new U.S. PS3 ads are quite good. The "dude, get your own" PSP ads makes me want to punch the people responsible.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Temper your anger towards sony with this pretty sweet bravia commercial I'd never seen before

I'm going to edit the thread title to say "PS3" ad campaigns. Didn't mean to drag all of Sony's campaigns into this. I'm not familiar with the ones for Bravia.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have actually recently seen a PS3 ad that won't provoke any "Lolsony"s. It started out with a PS3 logo, then footage of Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted (in that order) and then ended with the This Is Living logo.

Peewi on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It's a step up from some of the past PSP ads. "It's like paint you can watch dry outside."

Hevach on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »

I can't help but wonder if this ad is somehow the product of market testers compiling all the information they are handed.
    It might actually be insulting...like what Americans think will appeal to Europeans.
    What, you mean Europeans aren't a bunch of snobbish, monocle-wearing gays who spend their days eating crumpets and drinking tea while saying "pip pip" and surrendering? O_o

Seriously, these ads make no sense. Even admitting that there's probably some sort of cultural misunderstanding. They're just bad.

EDIT: If Sony really wants to speak to the hearts and minds of the Europeans, they need to make a soccer game where, after the game, you play a fan who gets shitfaced at the bar, and then goes and punches his team's rivals' fans in the face, starting a riot. Of course, the continentals might not bite, but the Brits sure would. ;)

s3rial one on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hevach wrote: »

It's a step up from some of the past PSP ads. "It's like paint you can watch dry outside."

They had that in an ad? That makes it sound like the most boring thing ever.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have actually seen the one linked directly in the OP on TV. It was a pretty WTF moment, but as soon as they mentioned Blu-Ray I knew it was a PS3 ad.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Why is it that Sony's Europe ads are so terrible? Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the U.S. ads for the Playstation 3 been, on a whole, actually not that bad? The launch ones were a little creepy, at least the baby doll one, but they still managed to show game footage. And the latest ads Stateside are pretty great.

I'd have to agree with you there, the US ads are very nice. If I was French maybe I'd think the poodle ad was a glorious monument of advertising, who knows (I did laugh at the guy limply dodging bullets--but it doesn't really make me want to go buy a PS3). The US PS3 ads are definitely much better than the M$ 360 ads. I actually groaned at the latest one of those I saw, the one with all the kids singing. Of course that's pretty much on-par with how shitty advertising is in general.... right up there with the poodle ad.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    I have actually recently seen a PS3 ad that won't provoke any "Lolsony"s. It started out with a PS3 logo, then footage of Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted (in that order) and then ended with the This Is Living logo.

I've seen that one as well. Need to track down a clip to add along side the Uncharted and R&C links.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    PatboyX wrote: »

What, you mean Europeans aren't a bunch of snobbish, monocle-wearing gays who spend their days eating crumpets and drinking tea while saying "pip pip" and surrendering? O_o

Seriously, these ads make no sense. Even admitting that there's probably some sort of cultural misunderstanding. They're just bad.

You're thinking of the British.
    I'm talking about Europeans.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lareden wrote: »
    M$ 360
    My brain asplode.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm guessing you haven't watched the ads. You really, really need to do so.

I cant, Im at work.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that these ads are:

A.Retarded
    B.Gay
    C.Offensive
    D. All of the above

But its old news. And like its been said the new ads are bad ass and they fired the morons responsible for their worst ads.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    My brain asplode.
    Back...off...baby.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]