Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Regarding Reaper response to the Andromeda Initiative. I'm guessing it's one of two things.

Perhaps the Reapers don't give a shit when Milky Way denizens run off to other galaxies. Could be an interesting plot point in MEA as it would allow for the presence of another species that fled from a previous cycle. Or it could explain why the Kett are hostile. Maybe they dealt with species from a previous cycle that were dicks.

Or perhaps the Reapers usually blow up ships traveling to other galaxies but the cycle was screwed up by the Protheans and Shepard so a group escapes our galaxy for the first time ever.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Regarding Reaper response to the Andromeda Initiative. I'm guessing it's one of two things.

Perhaps the Reapers don't give a shit when Milky Way denizens run off to other galaxies. Could be an interesting plot point in MEA as it would allow for the presence of another species that fled from a previous cycle. Or it could explain why the Kett are hostile. Maybe they dealt with species from a previous cycle that were dicks.

Or perhaps the Reapers usually blow up ships traveling to other galaxies but the cycle was screwed up by the Protheans and Shepard so a group escapes our galaxy for the first time ever.

Yea, isn't there like 50,000 years between purges? Seems plenty of time for them to make a note and maybe have one of them pull a late "night" to check up on what happened to those scamps that survived the galaxy wide holocaust before nipping off for only 48,000 year nap before the next one.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Yea, isn't there like 50,000 years between purges? Seems plenty of time for them to make a note and maybe have one of them pull a late "night" to check up on what happened to those scamps that survived the galaxy wide holocaust before nipping off for only 48,000 year nap before the next one.

That was Reaper Carl's job, but for the last several reapings he has slacking off. It seemed too much of a hassle.

Sovereign: "Is the Andromeda Galaxy ready for reaping?"
    Reaper Carl: "Uh... nope. Still, uh, still primitive."
    Sovereign: "Then how do you explain this?!."
    *sensor evidence of space travel*
    Reaper Carl: "Uh, I can explain!"
    Sovereign: "Dammit Carl!"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sovereign was the one Reaper that was in charge of keeping track of everything between the Fleet's naps. The launch of the Initiative was probably also beneath their notice because why would any of the Reapers care about what things beneath them do that's not "being harvested".

I also think you guys are underestimating how large Space is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I feel like if nothing else, these videos have shown us that Sara Ryder really likes showing off those chompers.

hn2Ilk3.png

Is it just me or is Fem Ryder adorably dorky?

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Sovereign was the one Reaper that was in charge of keeping track of everything between the Fleet's naps. The launch of the Initiative was probably also beneath their notice because why would any of the Reapers care about what things beneath them do that's not "being harvested".

I also think you guys are underestimating how large Space is.

Sovereign's entire job was basically taking notice of what the things beneath them were doing. Like you bring him up and then make the argument that he shouldn't have existed. That's weird.

I don't think they'd randomly notice a ship just suddenly going off into the void. I just think you don't get an intergalactic trip featuring four council races together without Sovereign's pretty connected pawns finding out. I totally buy that he jotted it down for later or even just planned on subtly sabotaging it before Shepard fucked up his day and left his to do list unfulfilled. There are plenty of reasons why this cycle was different and that things that the Reapers would have normally done didn't get done.

• Options
    Well, Sovereign may have noticed, but would it have cared? I mean, it wasn't a species-wide exodus by any stretch, and presumably the Reapers are way too awesome to worry about one tiny thing. Like, sure they'd care if someone was building a weapon to kill them (lulz) but not a simple exploratory mission.

There's also the issue of having to shoehorn a game into a timeline that was established without that game's basis. Speculation for Everyone is fine and all, but the main point is that the Reapers didn't notice because the Initiative didn't technically exist.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well, Sovereign may have noticed, but would it have cared? I mean, it wasn't a species-wide exodus by any stretch, and presumably the Reapers are way too awesome to worry about one tiny thing. Like, sure they'd care if someone was building a weapon to kill them (lulz) but not a simple exploratory mission.

There's also the issue of having to shoehorn a game into a timeline that was established without that game's basis. Speculation for Everyone is fine and all, but the main point is that the Reapers didn't notice because the Initiative didn't technically exist.

So be clear, things I am stating:
    • In general, the Reapers would notice and move to eliminate an end of 50,000 year tech cycle colony attempt though probably at a low priority.
    • There are a multitude of in lore reasons why this could have missed the Initiative effort this cycle, most of the relating to Shepard face punching them repeatedly.
    • Realistically this is irrelevant because Bioware is not gonna make Reapers a huge thing this trilogy because they don't want us to remember those parts of ME3.

We appear to mostly disagree on point 1 and maybe point 2? To argue against 1 I think you're stretching quite a bit. The Reaper set up a "No Civs above this line" policy and seem kinda committed to it. Saying that they would ignore it if some Civ just jetting off out of their sight line seems to be really underestimating them. Especially since we're talking transit time of 600 years. They could go off to Andromeda, spend 10 millennia there getting way above the fucking line and come back and still have like 35,000 years to continue to grow once they came back. That would be really stupid on the Reapers part to let that happen. I don't think the Reapers are really stupid so I'm not really sold on your argument.

Though again, we have 2 (and out of lore 3) so I don't expect to really see Reapers in Andromeda.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    I love you all 8-)

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

maybe the reapers know there's something in andromeda preventing AI uprisings, or AIs alltogether

if humans can get there in 600 years, so can the reapers, and probably faster

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Mass Effect is my favorite series of games, ever.

I still don't know how to feel about this one.

I'm passively interested, but I'm sitting on the fence until Bioware proves they have the magic back.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The only thing that's as awesome as ME to me is Witcher, but I've got to be honest... fantasy just isn't my favourite, Scifi is my poison.

Which is why I am looking forward to this so much.. And, of course, the eventual Cyberpunk 2077 game by CDPR

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's no real question that I'm picking this up immediately, even though all the footage prior to that gameplay trailer left me decidedly underwhelmed and I worry about potential Ubisoft-esque homogenization if too much of Inquisition's filler work crept into it.

Haven't regretted a Bioware game yet, and I'm totally ready to hop back into the Mass Effect universe.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

I'm passively interested, but I'm sitting on the fence until Bioware proves they have the magic back.

I'm in the same boat. It really depends on what their DLC initiative is with this one. ME:3 had such a terrible system that I never bought it.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. It really depends on what their DLC initiative is with this one. ME:3 had such a terrible system that I never bought it.

I still got all the (story) DLC because I'm a sucker for more ME...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I might actually buy some dlc this time around if it's going on direct sale like DAI did, fuck BiowareBux and that's coming from someone with all the ME2 dlc bar the dressup stuff.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    What platform are people planning on getting this for? I plan on playing a lot of multiplayer

Im leaning PC but might go PS4.

This is a game that will probably have a higher PC following wouldnt it?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    What platform are people planning on getting this for? I plan on playing a lot of multiplayer

Im leaning PC but might go PS4.

This is a game that will probably have a higher PC following wouldnt it?
    We had more folk playing ME3 multiplayer than I had spots in my Origin friend list.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I was all about the 360 for the Shepard Trilogy, but I haven't gotten a PS4 or X1 yet, instead putting together a shiny new computer that I just upgraded with a 1070, so I'm PC all the way.

• Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    How does the keyboard/mouse compare to the gamepad for these games?

Andromeda will be the first time I'll be playing on the PC so just wondering which will work out better.

Crazod on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Crazod wrote: »

Andromeda will be the first time I'll be playing on the PC so just wondering which will work out better.

I don't know, but Dragon Age Inquisition allowed you to use either so I'm just going to stick to gamepad.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I plan on rolling PC this time around, too

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular

maybe the reapers know there's something in andromeda preventing AI uprisings, or AIs alltogether

if humans can get there in 600 years, so can the reapers, and probably faster

Could be that the Reapers' original purpose was to "protect" the galaxy and so they simply don't care about what happens elsewhere.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    PC is where I'll be.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I'll be playing on PC, because that is what I own.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    PC as always.

KBAM works fine, because it's a shooter.

• Options
    Crazod wrote: »

Keyboard and mouse is better suited for shooting games. However, I'm sure the driving sections will be unquestionably better with a gamepad. With games like Saints Row I actually switch back and forth between both inputs. I hope Bioware gives us the same options.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'll be on PC and probably use a gamepad for single player and KBAM for multi.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Looks like I was right to want to get it on PC!

I'll go KBAM for both single and multi for sure

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And, of course, the eventual Cyberpunk 2077 game by CDPR

It already released.

... wait you mean there's supposed to be a game to accompany that proof of concept trailer?

Oh.

I thought they were just showing off in case Pixar wanted to buy up a team for a 'dark' branch of their movie studios.

:-P

All kidding aside when is that fucking game going to come out gawd.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's right there in the title.

(2019 or so at the earliest most like)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

The 21st of next month.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Quid wrote: »

The 21st of next month.

:P

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    I loved ME3 on my PC, but I have no delusions that my current laptop would stand a snowballs chance in he'll of running andromeda at a serviceable framerate. I'll be sticking to the XBONE for Andromeda, since it's what I have.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

The 21st of next month.

:P

Your joke is bad and you should feel bad and no adorable smiley will change that.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

Huh? What was wrong with the ME3 DLC?

• Options
    I just built a decent (1060 gtx, i5 7600k) PC for overwatch, I think it will do ME nicely, too

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    God, I really hope the music loops more often than it does in DAI.

I'm currently finishing that up and it bugs the hell out of me when mmos or open world RPGs do that (going with just ambiance half of the time).

"Enjoy this uncomfortable depressing silence for 40 minutes and then we'll get back to ya."

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    God I hope my PC can run this game.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Really needing those system requirements BioWare...

sig.gif