Options

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    have we seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZnkpIDWSE

guy rigged his house to respond to ocarina of time melodies

@Hakkekage

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    My school's mascot was a duck. An angry duck, but still a duck.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Undergrad for me was a big horn sheep. So not exciting.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Found out the details why Horizon is called -zero dawn-
    The logs that detail the admission process and the mental bargaining and breakdowns are really well written

The concept of euthanasia, imprisonment or participation was intense especially the guy who will help but want to be euthanized afterwards.

Also seeing that the machines are actually made with purpose to reseed was not expected
    I love the feeling that I got when I thought I knew what was going on, then I found those logs...

and realized that I had severely underestimated how severe the damage would be, and how extreme the solution was. D:

Also, I like that they describe GAIA's robot designs as a sort of "mourning" for what was lost, which is why all of the machines in the world look like an animal.
    I called the purpose of the dinobots just before that mission and it felt so good to then get the reveal.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

duck dicks look like frito's bbq flavor twists

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I should play more Horizon before I inadvertently click on a spoiler and spoil myself. But ZELDA!

What is the deal with this front-ended year? Half a dozen Game of the Year contenders are being released each month.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    For the record, Stanford has one of the worst mascots, because their school is "The Cardinal", as in the color, not the animal, and because obviously you can't make a physical mascot out of that, they decided that their mascot would be tree for no fucking reason.

Incidentally, the actual physical mascot looks like it was put together by a bad high school theater group.

tQGazpd.jpg

That's not a parody, that's the actual mascot they use at football games and whatnot.

Ironically (?) this is the best thing about Stanford.
    I thought the best thing about Stanford was the connections and cocaine, hell add Cash and we can call it the 3 Cs of Ivy league.

Stanford's not in the Ivy League.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I'm sorry Shark, I was going to wait a week or two to make fun of Duke because I know how shitty it must feel, but that was too good to pass up.

meh, it's OK. having two recent championships takes the sting off a bit, plus I lost a lot of enthusiasm for this year's team with the whole tripping crap

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Go Dawgs!

I actually hate my college's football program. They made me move my car for games and I lived there god damn it.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I should play more Horizon before I inadvertently click on a spoiler and spoil myself. But ZELDA!

What is the deal with this front-ended year? Half a dozen Game of the Year contenders are being released each month.

It's super stacked. Still to see P5 and RDR2 for instance.

Shit is crazy.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Yeah it's weird. I can only hope the flood of awesome keeps up throughout the year.

Karmic balance from the universe to try and balance out the terrible shit happening elsewhere?

Some damn good movies already out too.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    the two most acclaimed games right now (zelda, horizon) are on the two platforms i don't own

-_-

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    what do I want to vote on for the new Amherst College mascot...

I'm partial to Fighting Poets cause it's ridiculous in a pleasing way, but it does imply a white person (Robert Frost or Emily Dickinson), and part of the reason the mascot is changing in the first place is to make sure it's an inclusive sort of thing (the Lord Jeffrey Amherst--giver of smallpox blankets to the Indians--is what's getting replaced)

The other options are Mammoths (a campus feature is the big mammoth skeleton in the central geology building), Wolves, Valley Hawks, and Purple and White.

Hmmmm... I don't know...

"Poets" is weird for the reasons you mention, and also sounds like they're trying too hard with Fighting Poets.

Wolves is too generic. Purple and White is awful, good lord.

Valley Hawks is cool, but I'd 100% go with the Mammoths. It's a pretty uncommon mascot, and also has a strong tie to a campus feature.

That said, I don't know anything about the school, so this is just an outsider's perspective.

Definitely not Purple and White, though. Come the fuck on.

Yeah, every alumn I know is disappointed in the final choices. I think Fighting Poets is pretty great--it's totally stuffy and ridiculous and like...old school Amherst (recall--this is a school that only went co-ed in *1974*. It has some starchy conservative residue left that is both amusing and kinda terrible). But I suppose that's what we're trying to move away from. But like...Emily Dickinson with boxing gloves would be a great little logo.

Mammoths is probably best. Wolves is boring and inoffensive and has no tie to the college; Valley Hawks is a legit western Mass critter you see on campus all the time, and 'go Hawks!' sounds fine. Purple and White is *terrible*, just sounds bad to say and also still doesn't give an answer as to what you draw as the mascot itself.

Man, I wonder if I have to just not vote for the fighting poets because it's just not objectively good, even though it appeals.

I actually don't think Mammoths is the least of five evils or anything, I think it's a really solid mascot. It's unusual, and has a story behind it, and probably wrecks almost any other mascot in one of those "Okay, but what if the actual mascots were fighting, how would the bracket play out?" articles.

Valley Hawks is a not-bad second place, but Hawks are a pretty common mascot, so eh.

Here's the thing about Poets. It's a terrible sports mascot, for reasons that should be obvious. But I could totally see Amherst College being like "our mascot isn't for sports, it's a mascot for our academic qualities" or something. But that's the case, don't put "Fighting" in front of it.

Also "The Fightin' _____" has been reduced to parody these days, I think.

I want to conclude with another comment about how completely terrible Purple and White is as a mascot. It fucking sucks, and it's a travesty that it somehow ended up on the short list.

UCSD's mascot is a literal demigod so like

Mascot escalation will kill us all, is where I'm going with this

UCSD has a mascot? I thought it didn't have sports...? Or maybe it just doesn't have football or something?
    My mom has some USCD gear but I don't think any of it features a mascot at all...

I mean, it does have sports, but why would you care it's a serious research university no one goes there for sports.

But yeah, mascot is the Tritons, aka this guy:

"Triton (/ˈtraɪtən/; Greek: Τρίτων Tritōn) is a mythological Greek god, the messenger of the sea. He is the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite, god and goddess of the sea respectively, and is herald for his father."

Who is apparently Athena's foster dad.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    For the record, Stanford has one of the worst mascots, because their school is "The Cardinal", as in the color, not the animal, and because obviously you can't make a physical mascot out of that, they decided that their mascot would be tree for no fucking reason.

Incidentally, the actual physical mascot looks like it was put together by a bad high school theater group.

tQGazpd.jpg

That's not a parody, that's the actual mascot they use at football games and whatnot.

I thought the best thing about Stanford was the connections and cocaine, hell add Cash and we can call it the 3 Cs of Ivy league.

As far as I can tell the best thing about going to Stanford is it probably means you're rich. The connections aren't going to be any better than USC or LMU but they insist on being the west coast Ivy League.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    the two most acclaimed games right now (zelda, horizon) are on the two platforms i don't own

-_-
    tumblr_om8sozVNLp1qgrnsfo1_500.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

tQGazpd.jpg

Doesn't mean they aren't all about Cash, connections and cocaine.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Halo and Sunset Overdrive are still the only reasons I can think of to own an Xbone. Everything else is on PC too.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I'm sorry Shark, I was going to wait a week or two to make fun of Duke because I know how shitty it must feel, but that was too good to pass up.

meh, it's OK. having two recent championships takes the sting off a bit, plus I lost a lot of enthusiasm for this year's team with the whole tripping crap

honorable Duke fan, I salute you

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

duck dicks look like frito's bbq flavor twists

Yeah, that's a mistake you only make once.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Destiny needs to get on PC already.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    i got an xbone for destiny, and chat interest petered out soon after i got it. now i keep it for the occasional sports game or waiting for a new destiny/halo for chat to glom onto.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

tQGazpd.jpg

Doesn't mean they aren't all about Cash, connections and cocaine.

Well, aren't we all?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Yeah it's weird. I can only hope the flood of awesome keeps up throughout the year.

Karmic balance from the universe to try and balance out the terrible shit happening elsewhere?

Some damn good movies already out too.

When you put it like, we're clearly being narcotized. Quality entertainment to distract us from drudgery, Brave New World-style.

• Options

-_-

castle was shitting all over ME:A last night to me and elki

I realistically won't pick up the game until 90% of chat has finished it, so if it really does suck i'll know well in advance, so whatever

then he went on to shit over horizon zero dawn and I realized he just was sticking that hate boner wherever he could

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    arch I think I am going to go to this on thurs
    With 2,000 flavors and textures to play with, cooking with insects can be as fun as it is beneficial to local and global health. Curious about broadening your palette? Join us for a public conversation and optional sampling of traditional delicacies as bug breeder Chelsea Thomas and comic artist Blue Delliquanti discuss raising insects for the table and writing a graphic novel about love in the time of grasshopper tacos.

https://www.meetup.com/AtlantaScienceTavern/events/237587502/

OfficeNO.gifv

Fucking whyyyyyy. I'd go vegetarian before I'd do that, at the point that you're just eating textured protein you may as well just go straight soy/legumes

insects are a lot easier and less resource intensive to raise than soy or legumes

Huh, i wouldn't have expected that. Plants don't expend energy on movement or making chitin, and engage in photosynthesis.

Still not doing it :-1: veg is more sustainable than mammal or fish protein, but i guess I've found my line.

Plants make cellulose on even more cells though :P

I can't deal with it, sustainability be damned.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Halo and Sunset Overdrive are still the only reasons I can think of to own an Xbone. Everything else is on PC too.
    The only reason a couple of my friends have an XBone is Gears of War 4 co-op. Which is a lot of fun!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    i got an xbone for destiny, and chat interest petered out soon after i got it. now i keep it for the occasional sports game or waiting for a new destiny/halo for chat to glom onto.

I still play destiny every week

I see how it is

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    It worked out great getting a PS4 now that the xbox games seem to be coming over to windows as well.

And I apparently got Gears 4 with some hardware, I noticed like last week 3 months after purchase.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I hope that guy's ringtone isn't actually Navi yelling "Hey! Listen!" because otherwise somebody WILL murder him at a convention at some point.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

-_-

I realistically won't pick up the game until 90% of chat has finished it, so if it really does suck i'll know well in advance, so whatever

then he went on to shit over horizon zero dawn and I realized he just was sticking that hate boner wherever he could

i think that would be the first negative opinion i heard about horizon of all the people i talk to

• Options
    edited March 2017

I still play destiny every week you fk
    It's too bad that no one plays Destiny on XBone anymore. If only there was someone who plays Destiny. Oh well, might as well wait for Destiny 2...

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Wait wait wait

are you tellin' me Castle was shittin on a game?

Castle!?

Mr. likes everything?

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Wait wait wait

are you tellin' me Castle was shittin on a game?

Castle!?

Mr. likes everything?

yeah I know right

I think he was just in a mood or something idk

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

-_-

Isn't that what you do with a boner? Other party(ies) permitting, of course.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    wait do you landshark?

hmm

i never even finished destiny

i guess i should at least beat the campaign- do i need friends for any of the bosses?

i don't remember how far i got, except not-very-far

• Options

-_-

i think that would be the first negative opinion i heard about horizon of all the people i talk to

yeah my lil bro has been playing it nonstop since he got it. can't stop raving about it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

honorable Duke fan, I salute you

I want to be clear that I hate Duke

but your recognition of that asshole on your team being an asshole earns you honorable points

now you are honor-bound to root for Michigan too

• Options
    I hope that guy's ringtone isn't actually Navi yelling "Hey! Listen!" because otherwise somebody WILL murder him at a convention at some point.

At Pax East I saw an angry nerd almost assault a food vendor because they ran out of macaroni and cheese.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i bought Mass Effect Andromeda because i have more money than sense and i'm sure it will be fine

it will definitely not be as ludicrous a decision as buying FFXV, which anyone who knows me could have (and did) tell me I wouldn't like

This discussion has been closed.