As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

90s Rock

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Remember the 1990s? The decade where people actually made decent alt rock music?

It was the decade of AIC and STP, of Sound Garden, and of Pearl Jam. Basically, it was super awesome.

This is a thread in which to reminisce about the music and bands you loved, and those that you may not have listened to recently. It's a thread to talk about awesome concerts you hit up in the 90s. It is a thread to introduce the rest of us to some of the more obscure music that we may not have heard when it was new. And it is a thread in which to mourn those bands that are no longer with us.

deadonthestreet on

• Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My favorite groups that released albums in the 90s:

A Tribe Called Quest
    De La Soul
    Common
    DJ Shadow
    Ghostface Killah
    Guided By Voices
    Jay-Z
    Mos Def
    My Bloody Valentine
    Nas
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Notorious B.I.G.
    Of Montreal
    Pavement
    Radiohead
    The Roots
    Slint (kind of)
    Wu-Tang Clan

Not to mention Soundbombing 2, the Rawkus Records compilation.

What can I say, it was the golden age of hip hop. The artists I bolded released some of my favorite albums of all time in the 90s.

I probably was listening to literally none of this music in the actual 90s though. Oh well.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think to me 90s rock will always be defined by Alice In Chains.

And Tool.

There was also some great fucking death metal coming up at the time as well.

All around great for anyone who loved rock that resembled real music.

Oh, and remember how in the 90s they used to actually play good shit on MTV? I mean not only did they play music, which was weird compared to now, but they actually played real music, not always mainstream poppy shit.

Crazy times.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Seeing Pearl Jam live was pretty much the best thing I've done ever.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Red Hot motherfuckin' Chili Peppers.

Seriously.

One of the few bands from the era that is still going strong...not just together, touring, and recording but still, well, good. Even more so than Pearl Jam.

I listened to a bunch of Smashing Pumpkins a little while back and realized I must have been one mopey-ass motherfucker in high school. Just sayin'. Nirvana too.

Aside from that, I liked lots of bad pop-punk bands. Goldfinger, NOFX, The Offspring (at least Smash and earlier), Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Blink-182, Millencolin...fuck, more than I can name. Living in Phoenix was great, too, because it seemed like I could go to concerts for these types of bands every weekend if I wanted. Good times.

Then there was the shit you listened to that you're kind of ashamed that you listened to. Filter. Stabbing Westward. Garbage. Which was, unsurprisingly, utter garbage. I could name more. I just try to tell myself it was a different time.

Then there's a few weird things I listened to. Some I actually still kind of like, but I can't be sure whether or not it's just nostalgia. Like The Rentals, which was a side project of the (then) bassist from Weezer. Apparently they've recorded something new, I haven't bothered to check it out. So yeah, probably just nostalgia.
    Oh, and remember how in the 90s they used to actually play good shit on MTV? I mean not only did they play music, which was weird compared to now, but they actually played real music, not always mainstream poppy shit.

No shit. I think part of that is a function of playing more music, though...when you're playing 18+ hours of music videos a day, you can branch out beyond what's in the top 40 at the moment. When you're only playing 4 hours of music a day, you're lucky if you can play the entire top 40.
    evilbob wrote: »
    Seeing Pearl Jam live was pretty much the best thing I've done ever.

Three times now, and next time they play nearby (which is every tour, since apparently one of the guys is from Montana...so Missoula is always a good show) I'll see them again. Awesome every time.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hey man, nothing wrong with a little Stabbing Westward here and there.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goo Goo Dolls was and has been one of my favorite bands.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Primus, remember Primus? They were that band that you were totally cool if you knew about.

yakul on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is that My Bloody Valentine ever going to surface, or is Kevin Shields just trying to make himself feel better?

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    Is that My Bloody Valentine ever going to surface, or is Kevin Shields just trying to make himself feel better?
    They've actually announced 7 tour dates in Europe (like, they're selling tickets soon if not already), and I'm pretty sure the new album actually has somewhat firm plans to materialize next year. I'm not optimistic about it being good, but there is no way I won't see them if they tour in the US.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I still have a backlog of albums from the 90s that I haven't fully wrapped my mind around.

Shit, there are still electronica albums from 1997 that I haven't fully wrapped my mind around.

I'm looking at you, Endtroducing...

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sparklehorse released their first two albums in the '90s.
    The Flaming Lips released nothing but solid gold in the '90s.
    Daniel Johnston released 2 great rock albums (Fun and Artistic Vice) and one just great album (1990).
    Elliott Smith and Heatmiser released a bunch of crazy awesome stuff.
    Cake got started and released a few awesome albums, along with The Apples in Stereo.
    The White Stripes barely made it in at the end.
    I love the '90s.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I neither have, have ever had or will ever have any connection to any bands of the 90's.

None of them. Not one.

(Opeth was pretty goddamn awesome.)

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Remember that like, six or nine months when big band kinda-sorta had a little resurgence as popular music? I think a lot of kids at my high school bought a bunch of Squirrel Nut Zippers and Eagle Eye Cherry (I know, not really big band) albums and played them about twice.

As far as music from a historical standpoint, the 90s are going to be remembered much more for hip-hop than for rock, I think. Rock had the grunge movement (which was awesome), and a bunch of ultimately uninspired alt-rock. But hip-hop, man. A whole genre of music that went from being an ethnic to a nation or worldwide deal basically in the 90s. Nevermind the influence of 'gangsta' culture.

Easily my favorite band from the 90s that no one knew about was Buckcherry.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Buckcherry.

Oh I get it... you're being ironic.

Cleverrrrrrr

Sami on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I went to Lollapalooza '92 with my brother and some of his college friends. Ministry, RHCP, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Ice Cube, Lush.It would be hard to get more 90's than that.

I'd also like to put in a shout out for a criminally neglected favorite of mine, Faith No More

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really like 90's industrial rock - Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, KFMDM, Chemlab, etc.

Also, many of the big metal bands (Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer) released some of their best stuff around 1990-1993.

Serule on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Most of the stuff that I listen to is from this era.

Listing....

Econoline Crush
    I Mother Earth
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Moist
    The Watchmen
    Our Lady Peace
    Curve
    Junkie XL
    Underworld
    Sarah Mclaughlin
    The Big Wreck
    Fluke

Man I could go on but I'm going to stop here.

Meiz on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We're also forgetting:
    Fugazi
    The Toadies
    Blind Melon
    Beck
    Silverchair
    Foo Fighters
    Nirvana (wtf is wrong with you people)

If any of you have XM radio, you should tune in to channel 46, Lucy. All 90's alternative rock, all the time.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    The Pixies
    Blind Melon
    REM
    Screaming Trees
    Soul Coughing
    The Presidents of the United States of America
    They Might Be Giants
    The Breeders
    Weezer

...yeah, the nineties. Also, MTV Unplugged was probably the last good thing MTV ever did.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Meiz wrote: »

Listing....

Junkie XL

Almost never see that him posted, but one of my favorites too. Very interesting musician (nowadays does a lot of games music as well, in general his name shows up everywhere) and i play Saturday Teenage Kick a lot especially. Hardly rock though.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Meiz wrote: »

Listing....

Junkie XL

Almost never see that him posted, but one of my favorites too. Very interesting musician (nowadays does a lot of games music as well, in general his name shows up everywhere) and i play Saturday Teenage Kick a lot especially. Hardly rock though.

Billy club's my favorite from him. Yeah it's not rock but why limit one's self by categories on top of the decade the music was born?

Meiz on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    System of a down came in the late 90's for a young lad getting into metal, it was pretty bad ass
    heh....treble charger...they were good in their time right?...right.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No love for one of the founders of Indie rock?

Dinosaur Jr.!!!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    We're also forgetting:
    Fugazi
    The Toadies
    Blind Melon
    Beck
    Silverchair
    Foo Fighters
    Nirvana (wtf is wrong with you people)

If any of you have XM radio, you should tune in to channel 46, Lucy. All 90's alternative rock, all the time.

I game Nirvana a shout-out on like the fourth post. Though I guess it was largely to denigrate them...seriously, music for disaffected teens FTW. Still pretty kickass, though.

And Sirius has channel (I think) 26, Lithium. Though they play a lot of real shit on there too. But it's real shit that was popular in the 90's, so what can you do?
    ...yeah, the nineties. Also, MTV Unplugged was probably the last good thing MTV ever did.

MTV Album Covers (or whatever it's called) was a pretty cool idea. I've only heard the one from Dashboard Confessional (doing REM songs with guest vocals from Stipe). Seemed pretty spiffy. Don't know how well it was actually utilized, though.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I fucking hate The Smashing Pumpkins.

It was a good decade for prog, Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory is probably one of my favorite albums ever.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Pixies ftw, all you Nirvana glory supporters. I see your teen spirit and raise you my mind (if I knew where it was) :P

90's Radiohead being by far and away their best stuff (and by far and away the best stuff pretty much ever), Pablo Honey has some cool little tracks (Thinking About You, Anyone can play guitar) on it that are often dismissed in the general tongue stampede towards their collective arse.

I also remember when Automatic To The People was pretty much the only album in existence in the UK, somehow literally every kid had a copy, and then they all disappeared a few years later, now there are nought left to be found but scratched discs embalmed in ancient museums. I blame the album elves.
    Meiz wrote:
    Sarah Mclaughlin

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    OP wrote:
    90's ROCK

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Where's the love for Cake? Prolonging the Magic was a fabulous album.

Aside from that, I'm still listening to Pearl Jam a whole lot, what with their official bootleg concert releases, which manage to show that they haven't lost it quite yet. Chris Cornell's my favorite rocker out of the 90's, though. I don't care what anybody says, Euphoria Morning was a great album, albeit not quite as good as the entire Soundgarden catalogue.

Come to think of it, I was always amazed at how consistent they were, compared to other bands like RHCP that were basically dead to me after a certain album (Californication). That's not to say that I enjoyed One Hot Minute, but I just can't get into By The Way and Stadium Arcadium at all.

Despite all that, though, I have to say that the 90's were defined by the entrance of Soul Coughing in my life. I will never get tired of El Oso or Irresistible Bliss. Seriously, some of the best music out of that decade in those two albums right there.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TheyMightBeGiants-SevereTireDamage.jpg

The first album I ever bought online. <3

Also, I was too busy being a dumb little kid to listen to any good music during the 90s.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I fucking hate The Smashing Pumpkins.

:( The Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite band.

Siamese Dream = best album ever

It's true though that I didn't listen to a lot of 90s music during the actual 90s, since I was 3-12 and didn't really develop my own music taste until I was 13, and even then it was pretty shitty for a while.

Of course now that I'm 20 and all nostalgic for my childhood, I've been listening to music from the 90s like mad. I even did this thing a while ago where I wrote down all the hit songs (good or bad) that I could remember from the 90s, year by year, and downloaded the whole lot of 'em, from Everybody Dance Now to The Sunscreen Song and all the garbage and awesomeness in between.

Also, I never fully listened to Nevermind or In Utero until just a few months ago, and all you haters can fuck right off, because they kick ass.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    3-12? god you make me feel old

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Most of the bands on it have been mentioned, but I just thought I'd point to the soundtrack from the movie Singles.

It is a fantastic collection of 90's rock.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, I never fully listened to Nevermind or In Utero until just a few months ago, and all you haters can fuck right off, because they kick ass.

You really ought to check out Bleach and Incesticide while you're at it, if you haven't already.
    Most of the bands on it have been mentioned, but I just thought I'd point to the soundtrack from the movie Singles.

It is a fantastic collection of 90's rock.

There were a few such soundtracks. The Crow is springing to mind as well, though I haven't listened to it in years.

Oh, and I just noticed that this thread fails for lack of Social Distortion. They put out some pretty good shit in the 90's, including their self-titled Social Distortion...and album I have no problem recommending to pretty much anybody, regardless of tastes.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nevermind is probably the most boring album I've ever heard.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Serule wrote: »
    I really like 90's industrial rock - Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, KFMDM, Chemlab, etc.

Also, many of the big metal bands (Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer) released some of their best stuff around 1990-1993.

QFT! Also 16 Volt.

For me KMFDM peaked right as all the members starting leaving in the Adios era then made a strong comeback. Attak was my favorite so far, but I am probably alone in that opinion. WW III was great and Hau Ruck was mostly lame.

I became interested in music right as Nirvana and AIC became popular. There was a very palpable difference between 90s rock and 80s rock. Everything rock and metal was now separated into either "Hair bands" and "Grunge". Within a year or two (mid 90s) even the really popular Hair bands became so dated I had a hard time listening to them seriously. Even Guns N' Roses, who were still very popular.

I remember the time I bought my first CD. I only had enough money to buy 1 CD and one tape with my birthday money. I chose AIC's Dirt on tape. For the CD I was torn between Nirvana's Nevermind and Guns N' Roses' Use Your Illusion I. I chose Nevermind: the die was cast.

Some of the metal bands went along with the change and were able to stay alive longer, Anthrax, Megadeth and Metalica especially. They changed to shorter songs and slightly more repetitive riffs that focused on catchy hooks and rhythm rather than ego centric guitar solos.

Of course thanks to Guitar Hero, I now appreciate 80s rock metal more. I think I should pick up Use Your Illusion I now.

slugabed on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

"Anyone who hates this record today is just trying to be cool, and needs to be trying harder." :P

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

"Anyone who hates this record today is just trying to be cool, and needs to be trying harder." :P

I don't know, aside from "Lounge Act" I think the album kinda falls apart after "Lithium." I think "boring" is definitely an accurate description of this entire half of the album. Plus part of it could be that the "edge" has worn off the album...I mean, we're probably only a couple years away from seeing Kurt Cobain impersonators in Vegas and hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" being used to sell Chryslers.

EDIT: Though yes, many who hate this record today are only hating it because it's cool to do so now.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

If you were listening to it for the first time in 2007, it might be boring.

When it was released, it was something very different for most people. Even lyrically. Most other rock songs were all about "Love, Longing and/or Hobbits". Nirvana's were mostly about nothing, or at least were not very obvious. Though many bands were already releasing stupid or repetitive songs, Nirvana just did it better. They also could bring a lot of energy into their songs without having to dip too far into the metal or punk side of things.

slugabed on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

I don't know, aside from "Lounge Act" I think the album kinda falls apart after "Lithium." I think "boring" is definitely an accurate description of this entire half of the album. Plus part of it could be that the "edge" has worn off the album...I mean, we're probably only a couple years away from seeing Kurt Cobain impersonators in Vegas and hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" being used to sell Chryslers.

EDIT: Though yes, many who hate this record today are only hating it because it's cool to do so now.

Yeah, the second half is a bit weaker than the first, but Lounge Act and Something In the Way are both really good. I also kind of like Stay Away.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    90's Radiohead being by far and away their best stuff (and by far and away the best stuff pretty much ever), Pablo Honey has some cool little tracks (Thinking About You, Anyone can play guitar) on it that are often dismissed in the general tongue stampede towards their collective arse.

Kid A and OK Computer are easily their two best albums. That's not to say that they haven't released other really good albums, but I don't know how you could argue that any of their other albums are even close to Kid A or OK Computer.

YosemiteSam on