As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Logitech Speakers

AsherAsher Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, recently I got a gift voucher for my 21st from my sister, who suggested that I get some New speakers for my Computer. Now, due to the limited number of places where it can be spent, I am essentially looking at 2 different options.

The first is the G51 Surround Sound System. Now everything I've read indicates that these are very good speakers, especially for gaming and they look pretty good too.

Now the other option is the X-540 speakers, which also appear to be quite good, if not as good as the above G51s.

Has anyone here had any experience with either of these sets of speakers? Currently I'm thinking of going for the cheaper option and pick up a couple of games or something as well. Another problem is that the place where I am forced to buy from has the G51s at 100 bucks Australian over the RRP. I plan to querying this, but assuming they will drop it down to RRP, which is the more worthy system? If they won't drop, then I'm flat out getting the X-540.

I thank you for your time.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
Asher on

• Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The x-540 is freaking terrible. The bass is weak, boomy, and distorts at a low level. I went from 2.1 studio monitors when I was doing a lot of audio production and midi stuff to the speakers you mention. The monitors were too big to bring to college so I ordered the 540. I remember being so pissed b/c the sound quality was so much worse in comparison.

Now I have the klipsch 2.1 system. Top notch, top notch

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196863172&sr=8-1

tracertong on
  • Options
    XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have the x-540 and I personally think they are great. I'll be honest though, I'm not a soundophile. But when I first plugged them, it was fantastic.

Honestly, if you want good sound go for the 540. Maybe tracertong knows something though? For a newbie like me, sounds great. If you are doing audio production, then maybe you should listen to tracertong.

If you want to know anything more, jsut ask or pictures, I dunno.

Xeno on
  • Options
    Acolyte57Acolyte57 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sound is something that's very much bent to personal preference. If you have never heard a good hifi system, surround sound PC speakers will on average sound just fine. But if you've learned to appreciate the detail and quality of a good system... they will annoy you. For applications such as gaming and watching movies on your PC - not too much of a problem. But listening to music, hmm.

I'd recommend finding the sets in stores near you and giving them a listen. That's a better test than what we, with our differing tastes and different standards, will tell you. You'll be listening to them for a few years, after all.

For the record, I don't mind my own surround set for gaming or movies... but I'll never listen to music through it now that I'm used to my B&W DM7s on a harman/kardon amp.

Acolyte57 on
    101 little bugs in the file / 101 little bugs / take one out and recompile / 102 little bugs in the file
  • Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    tracertong wrote: »
    The x-540 is freaking terrible. The bass is weak, boomy, and distorts at a low level. I went from 2.1 studio monitors when I was doing a lot of audio production and midi stuff to the speakers you mention. The monitors were too big to bring to college so I ordered the 540. I remember being so pissed b/c the sound quality was so much worse in comparison.

Now I have the klipsch 2.1 system. Top notch, top notch

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196863172&sr=8-1

YES, these are easily the best speakers available for PCs. If they're out there in aussie land I'd hop on these.

linkie
    http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png