As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 backwards compat clear up

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm trying to find the original article about it, but Sony stated something like "Hardware is too expensive, time needed to get full software is too time consuming and expensive" and that mixing both together was the most cost effective.

I've got a 40GB and I would love to see full BC, but Sony don't think it's important.

Ah found the Official Statement-

The 40GB model, to be launched in Europe on 10th October, is a new model and is not equipped with any of the semi conductors from the PS2, and backwards compatibility would therefore have to be achieved by software emulation alone. The sheer numbers of PS2 titles available, together with the increased complexity of using a software only solution for each and every title means that to ensure accurate software emulation for the majority would be technically challenging, time consuming and costly. As we have mentioned on several occasions, our engineering resources are now focused on developing new and innovative features and services for the PS3 and, as a result the 40GB model does not have backwards compatibility with PS2 titles

PS one
    The PS3 has never been equipped with either the CPU or GPU that were used in the original PlayStation, and the backwards compatibility for PS one titles has therefore been made available through software emulation from the beginning. Therefore backwards compatibility for PS1 titles remains the same no matter how many times the model is changed.

PS2
    On the other hand, backwards compatibility for PS2 titles is largely made possible through the use of actual semiconductors, supported by the PS3 system software.The 20GB and 60GB PS3 models launched in Japan and the USA were equipped with both the PS2 Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesiser chips and we could therefore guarantee over 90% backwards compatibility for PS2 titles.

The 60GB model launched in Europe was a new model (shared with the 80GB model launched subsequently in USA) which contains only a modified version of the Graphics Synthesiser chip from the PS2 and not the Emotion Engine chip. The European launch model therefore used a combination of software and the modified version of the PS2 Graphics Synthesiser chip to deliver backwards compatibility for PS2 titles. As a result the percentage of
    backwards compatible PS2 titles was slightly reduced.

The 40GB model, to be launched in Europe on 10th October, is a new model and is not equipped with any of the semi conductors from the PS2, and backwards compatibility would therefore have to be achieved by software emulation alone. The sheer numbers of PS2 titles available, together with the increased complexity of using a software only solution for each and every title means that to ensure accurate software emulation for the majority would be technically challenging, time consuming and costly. As we have mentioned on several occasions, our engineering resources are now focused on developing new and innovative features and services for the PS3 and, as a result the 40GB model does not have backwards compatibility with PS2 titles.

The current PS3 system software and future updates will continue to support backwards compatibility for the current 60GB and 80GB models, and publishers can check their new PS2 titles to ensure they play on the 60GB and 80GB models.

*Keen gamers, for whom backwards compatibility is important, can still purchase the existing 60GB PS3 Starter Pack which contains an extra SixAxis controller, two first party titles and has extensive backwards compatibility with PS2 titles.

*Fancy talk for "Buy out our 60GB models so we can concentrate on being cheap ass cunts"

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    I'm trying to find the original article about it, but Sony stated something like "Hardware is too expensive, time needed to get full software is too time consuming and expensive" and that mixing both together was the most cost effective.

I've got a 40GB and I would love to see full BC, but Sony don't think it's important.

*Fancy talk for "Buy out our 60GB models so we can concentrate on being cheap ass cunts"

Before launch, we knew that they were working on complete PS2 emulation but that it wasn't ready, so they decided to go with a hardware solution. In all likelihood, they're still probably working on it quietly. Hell, we know for certain that they're still working on EE emulation because we get the odd update included with the firmware updates.

Just look at the PS2, at launch PS1 games were run via hardware but a couple of years later, the PS1 parts were removed (apart from the PS1 chip that acted as the PS2's sound card) and Sony implemented PS1 emulation into it.

As for the "full software is too time consuming and expensive" excuse, it's not like it wouldn't have future uses as well. The PS1 emulation Sony implemented on the PS2 was ported to the PSP and PS3, so PS2 emulation may be ported from the PS3 to the PSP2 and PS4 (I did get a laugh from Dark Shroud's idea that they could port it to the PSP1 though).

That's not to say that it'd be ported to the 40GB PS3 though, it may not even be possible.

Btw, the name 'Emotion Engine' is no worse than some of the other stupid names for processors, they're just designed to use as buzz words. "Using the massive power of the Xenon/Cell/Emotion Engine..."

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Btw, the name 'Emotion Engine' is no worse than some of the other stupid names for processors, they're just designed to use as buzz words. "Using the massive power of the Xenon/Cell/Emotion Engine..."

They need better names for these things.

like "the Gut Ripper" engine

or the "Skull Fucker" chip

You know something that makes you think it's not a photo copier/small and puny/emo object but METAL AS FUCK.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    They need better names for these things.

like "the Gut Ripper" engine

or the "Skull Fucker" chip

You know something that makes you think it's not a photo copier/small and puny/emo object but METAL AS FUCK.
    Emotion Engine appeals to Japanese man-children the way the Skull Fucker chip would appeal to 17 year old boys in the US.

Just a culture thing, really.

rufo on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I had enough fun with the buddies that I picked up my own 60GB today, and got UT3.

Now the question: I want to get something my wife and I can play together. What's the landscape like for that? Does Ratchet and Clank have any two-player co-op stuff? We are looking for something co-operative of course.

e: Also, fuck you Sony. 50 bucks for a controller? That doesn't even have fucking rumble? Grrr.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I had enough fun with the buddies that I picked up my own 60GB today, and got UT3.

Now the question: I want to get something my wife and I can play together. What's the landscape like for that? Does Ratchet and Clank have any two-player co-op stuff? We are looking for something co-operative of course.

e: Also, fuck you Sony. 50 bucks for a controller? That doesn't even have fucking rumble? Grrr.

The landscape for PS3 coop games is buy a Wii.

Seriously though, there's not much there.

I guess.... Army of Two? Is that coming out on the PSTriple? And LBP. PSTriple's got some great single player games(Heavenly Sword, R+C, CoD4, Uncharted), and some great multiplayer games(Warhawk, CoD4), but it really isn't a co-op type of console. Single-console Co-op seems to be not really big this generation, it's all about online. I'm fairly sure R+C has no Co-op.

Also to clarify on the whole 40GB BC thing, the 40GB doesn't have the GS chip, so with the software emulation that currently exists, there is no possibility of PS2 BC on the 40gig model. It is possible in the future that a fully software version of the PS2 emulator, similar to the PS1 emulation which is currently in the system, would allow for BC on the 40 gig. However, Sony has never even hinted that they are working on this, and in fact have all but specifically said that they are in fact not working on this, so the 40 gig will never have PS2 BC of any kind, unless it turns out Sony has in fact lied again. So maybe a 90% chance.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Guitar Hero II or III
    Rockband
    Rainbow Six
    Flow
    Time Crisis
    Lego Star Wars
    Kane and Lynch

These are the PS3 games I can think of offhand with coop

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    We have a Wii, so I guess will stick to Mario Galaxy co-op for now, though she is getting a little tired of picking up my jewels, muhaha.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thinks fast: R&C or Uncharted? I can only afford one right now.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Uncharted. I love R&C but it can wait till after you beat Uncharted.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Guitar Hero II or III
    Rockband
    Rainbow Six
    Flow
    Time Crisis
    Lego Star Wars
    Kane and Lynch

Would you really recommend GHII, GHIII and Rock band to someone? One seems enough

And Time Crisis? Kane and Lynch?

I mean, I know that they are games with coop, but... I don't know if they're worth it. R6 and Lego Star Wars are good, I forgot about those. flOw I've actually not played or seen much of.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Guitar Hero II or III
    Rockband
    Rainbow Six
    Flow
    Time Crisis
    Lego Star Wars
    Kane and Lynch

Would you really recommend GHII, GHIII and Rock band to someone?

Or Time Crisis? Or Kane and Lynch?

I mean, I know that they are games with coop, but... I don't know if they're worth it. R6 and Lego Star Wars are good, I forgot about those. flOw I've actually not played or seen much of.

My post was not based on recommendation, simply a listing of known games with coop from the top of my head.

I can't recommend any game to someone without knowing at least a little of what they enjoy.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah but.

How many people enjoy the "Buggy as hell and not really fun" genre?

Plus I always get the feeling that when people ask for games of certain types, they're looking for good games of that type.

I wouldn't recommend Big Rig Racers to someone asking what was out there in racing games.

Or Vampire Rain for Stealth Action

Or Daikatana for FPS

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Yeah but.

How many people enjoy the "Buggy as hell and not really fun" genre?

Well, there's always SOME people that enjoy a game that's widely denounced. You never know.

Kagera on
  • Options
    CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So not to be a total dickwad or anything but I assume that no one either cares or knows about the trancevibrator compatibility thing?
    I mean, I did google the hell out of it with no success. I found out that the Eye Toy and any usb camera works with it.
    It would just be nice to have some confirmation or denile. Please help point me in the right direction.
    :)

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Pick up Warhawk. It's kinda co-op in that you can play on the same team, and its fucking awesome. And it's a toss up between it and CoD4 for best game on the system.

no single player or campaign mode, though.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So not to be a total dickwad or anything but I assume that no one either cares or knows about the trancevibrator compatibility thing?
    I mean, I did google the hell out of it with no success. I found out that the Eye Toy and any usb camera works with it.
    It would just be nice to have some confirmation or denile. Please help point me in the right direction.

No clue man, sorry.

EDIT: Wait, I found a kotaku post where someone replied complaining that the trance vibrator doesn't work. Depending on how much you trust it, this seems like the best confirmation you'll get:
    I'm sorry to say that not being able to use the PS2 specialty controllers really sucks...

No Dual GunCons, No Taiko Drum Master, No Beatmania, No Guitar Hero 1 or 2, no Ne-G-Con with WIPEOUT, No REZ Trance Vibrator........

SUCKS!!!

So much for backwards compatibility
    Link!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Outside of the music games (Singstar, Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3), there's Super Stardust HD on the PS Store. Still one of the best PSN games around. If your wife happens to like shooters, Warhawk has a split screen mode, Resistance has a pretty good co-op mode and so does Rainbow Six: Vegas (though the latter does have some framerate problems in the co-op mode thanks to Ubisoft's shitty port, perfectly playable though).

It's obviously pretty limited at the moment but there's Buzz and LittleBigPlanet coming this year, not to mention the other shooters which will probably feature co-op (including Killzone 2, Resistance 2 and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2).

Kagera: Uh, Guitar Hero 2 isn't available on the PS3. Or can you use a GH3 controller with the PS2 version of GH2?
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Both are amazing but I'd go with Uncharted. It's my favourite game on the PS3 bar none.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Uncharted. It's seriously one of my favorite games ever. Not to overhype it because it's really my favorite just from the overall package and just pure fun factor and action/plot/characters. Btw, get Uncharted :)

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Uncharted is great, but I had more fun with R&C.

Get both eventually, though.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    JeffyJeffy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone with a DS3 play Ratchet? I tried, but I got no rumble. I'm pretty sure I read up that it did support rumble.

Jeffy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Jeffy wrote: »
    Anyone with a DS3 play Ratchet? I tried, but I got no rumble. I'm pretty sure I read up that it did support rumble.

the dual shock 3 is out already?

Last I heard, you had to download patches for games until they start coming with rumble support (which will be indicated on the box).

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Japan has the dualshock 3's dont they? Rumble isnt a huge priority to me so I can wait until the controllers make it over here.

As for the Ratchet and Clank vs. Uncharted thing, both are outstanding so owning both should be in the plans, however they are fundamentally different... which one appeals to you more?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited January 2008

the dual shock 3 is out already?

Last I heard, you had to download patches for games until they start coming with rumble support (which will be indicated on the box).
    It was released in Japan on November 11, 2007 at a retail price of JPÂ¥5,500, in black color.

so says wikipedia.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Japan has the dualshock 3's dont they? Rumble isnt a huge priority to me so I can wait until the controllers make it over here.

I feel the same way. Rumble isn't a big concern for me, and I rather like how light the controls are.

That said, I'll get a DS3 for MGS4 if it uses it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You imported a DS3? R&C does indeed support it, as does Uncharted, Resistance, Warhawk and Motorstorm (and a bunch of others I can't remember). I'm going off memory but try pressing the PS button, I think there's an option there to enable it.

And I'd agree that rumble isn't that important to me. When using my PS2 (which was only just unplugged when I got my PS3 a few months back), I've gotten so used to it that I usually don't even notice it anymore. But I'll get a Dual Shock 3 for MGS4 and Silent Hill 5 anyway, they're pretty much the only franchises I can think of that used it really well.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Uncharted is a must have for the PS3.

It's so great that a sequel, a movie based on the first game and fan boy flannel bed sheets should already exist for it.

useless4 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can someone fill me in on the co-op-ness of Flow and Super Stardust HD?

Both those games look great to me, and I had no idea there was co-op involved.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You imported a DS3? R&C does indeed support it, as does Uncharted, Resistance, Warhawk and Motorstorm (and a bunch of others I can't remember). I'm going off memory but try pressing the PS button, I think there's an option there to enable it.

And I'd agree that rumble isn't that important to me. When using my PS2 (which was only just unplugged when I got my PS3 a few months back), I've gotten so used to it that I usually don't even notice it anymore. But I'll get a Dual Shock 3 for MGS4 and Silent Hill 5 anyway, they're pretty much the only franchises I can think of that used it really well.

I read, I think maybe on Wikipedia, that they were patching rumble into older titles too. I think everything after October is supposed to support it.

I am not entirely sure if all this is true only for Japan or not.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dis_quietDis_quiet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok, I'm in the exact same position as the OP. Wanted a PS3, but also wanted both BC and wifi, so a used 60GB was my only real option. So my wife and I picked up a used one at Gamestop yesterday. We also picked up Guitar Hero 3 and rocked into the wee hours last night.

Here's my question. I've seen lots of comments saying that the PS3 is quieter than the 360. But my PS3 sounds like a jet engine. Seriously, though, the noise level is about the equivalent of a medium sized room fan. It's loud enough to be distracting when watching a DVD. And it's fan noise, not drive noise. If it sits completely idle for a minute or so, the fan slows down to what I consider a reasonable level. Is this normal, or is something wrong with my refurbed unit?

Dis_quiet on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Finally getting internet at home, can't wait to pick up WarHawk, and play a lot of my games online (COD4 and Tekken 5 : DR )

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I want the DualShock 3 because I hope it's HEAVIER. Forget the rumble, the SixAxis is way too light for me. When I picked it up, it has no girth to it. Maybe I am just used to the 360 controller, which has some tangible weight (mostly from the battery pack, but still). I am hoping the rumble things in the DS3 add some weight to it.

I have a couple of other minor complaints with the PS3, like the way the controller disconnects itself and you have to re-press the PS button to re-sync it, every time you start or stop a game. The 360 doesn't do this, and it's somewhat annoying, but isn't going to stop me form enjoying the system.

Also, what is the battery life like on ya'lls SixAxis pads? My 360 pad seems to keep it's charge a LOT longer. I have three 360 battery packs that I rotate in the charger base, and I only have to change packs once every two weeks, maybe once a week if I am giving the 360 some heavy play. I've had to plug my SixAxis back in a couple of times to bring it back to full. Now, I could have just gotten a bunk controller with my used package, but the SixAxis just seems to hold less juice. Again, not a huge complaint, very minor, just something I am noting.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think Sony dropped the ball with the backwards compatibility big time, I was talking to a work colleague who bought a 360 over the holidays he told me the biggest reason he decided to get a 360 was because the only model PS3 that he would consider buying (the 40GB) had no backwards compatibility.

Since he already has a PS2 his thinking was if he got a PS3 with PS2 compat then he could sell the PS2 and avoid having a bunch of consoles connected to a tv. (he already has a Wii) At the end of the day the 360 was cheaper. I don't know what it's like in shops where you lot are but i've noticed in general PS3 games are roughly £5 more expensive than the same 360 games. (not online though, prices seem the same there)

EDIT: As for me, since I bought a 360 too. PS2 backwards compatibility isn't that important as I only have a few PS2 games. My Playstation catalogue is mostly PS1 games.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Little Big Planet
    will be coming out - I'm not sure when but I think this year. That looks great to me ;p

I'm really glad I found this thread, I assumed all PS3's could play all PS2 games, and that was one reason we were considering it over the other current gen consoles. Fuck. Now what.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Can someone fill me in on the co-op-ness of Flow and Super Stardust HD?

Both those games look great to me, and I had no idea there was co-op involved.

I can't really talk about Flow because I haven't put any real time into it but the co-op mode in Super Stardust HD is pretty fun. It's actually kind of harder than the single player mode though, since you're both on the same screen (meaning you can't be on opposite sides of the planet), you share lives and bombs and the closer you are to each other, the more powerful you are. They've got two DLC packs coming, though I'm not sure what they're adding (probably online co-op though).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My wife loved Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance so I'm thinking of buying Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom. It looks like a coop dungeon crawl kinda like diablo. Currently the only game we play is Lego Star Wars: The Complete Series.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Well, I've actually just picked it up from Play-asia but I've got a 40gb PS3 so backwards compatibility is out anyway. The girlfriend convinced me to pick it up to try on the PS2 (After someone at her work mentioned the thing) which is in the bedroom. I actually have little to no clue as to what in the hell it is really, is it what I think it is?

Anyway, a friend has one of the 60gb models but I don't see them that much. If you find out in the mean time, that's cool, otherwise I'll nip round to theirs and give it a shot when it gets delivered to me. I'll keep your name aside to pm, but as I said, it could be quite some time (Going by play-asia delivery times in the past!).

Also, with regard to the PS3 pad holding charge, I tend to find it drops quicker but then discovered that it doesn't turn off after a period of inactivity. I use my ps3 a fair bit to stream media/play bluray discs. At first the remote stayed on for the entire duration of the movie. If you're leaving your ps3 on, but aren't going to be near it for a while, turn the pad off by holding down the middle button and selecting the option there.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wait, so the 40GB PS3 PAL model has no backwards compatibility, at all? Like, not even software?

What the hell?

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I want the DualShock 3 because I hope it's HEAVIER. Forget the rumble, the SixAxis is way too light for me. When I picked it up, it has no girth to it. Maybe I am just used to the 360 controller, which has some tangible weight (mostly from the battery pack, but still). I am hoping the rumble things in the DS3 add some weight to it.

I have a couple of other minor complaints with the PS3, like the way the controller disconnects itself and you have to re-press the PS button to re-sync it, every time you start or stop a game. The 360 doesn't do this, and it's somewhat annoying, but isn't going to stop me form enjoying the system.

Also, what is the battery life like on ya'lls SixAxis pads? My 360 pad seems to keep it's charge a LOT longer. I have three 360 battery packs that I rotate in the charger base, and I only have to change packs once every two weeks, maybe once a week if I am giving the 360 some heavy play. I've had to plug my SixAxis back in a couple of times to bring it back to full. Now, I could have just gotten a bunk controller with my used package, but the SixAxis just seems to hold less juice. Again, not a huge complaint, very minor, just something I am noting.

You should only have to resync your sixaxis before and after PS2 games. Shouldn't be happening with PS3 discs or PSN games.

When I had just the one controller I'd get 7-9 days out of it with heavy play. My peeve with it was that I had to sit with my nose against the screen while it was recharging, because the USB recharge chord is so damn short. Now that I have a second controller I've lost track of how long the charge lasts, because I just rotate them whenever I get a low battery warning.

$50 has been the going price for a new second controller since the Dual Shock 2 for PS2, at least here in Canada anyway. It always seemed expensive to me too, until I made the mistake of purchasing 3rd party hardware to save $5 or $10.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    Wait, so the 40GB PS3 PAL model has no backwards compatibility, at all? Like, not even software?

What the hell?

It plays PS1 games fine, just not PS2. If you want an explanation then I suggest you actually read the thread.

Unco-ordinated on