As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is science badass? The data is positive.

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    A great page I used to frequent when I was much younger on unusual zoology

"Think the real world isn't as exciting as fantasy? Well you're stupid and you're wrong! The daily grind of human society may feel bland and tedious, but there's a whole universe of bizarre, even disturbing lifeforms battling for survival day and night, all around us...and sometimes inside of us. From shape-shifting molluscs to ants that explode, the following pages will fill you in on a variety of creatures you may have never even realized you share a world with."

man anyone who thinks that some stupid octopus that looks like a greasy polyp is more exciting than a human is a dumbyhead

bongi on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some guy at work was talking to me, telling me gravity is a wave, and he seemed so sure of it. He said light is susceptable to the gravity of the sun, and of Earth, and therefore the speed of light was relative to the gravitational waves of surrounding objects, and light could move faster some places, and slower others, and then told me that if he banged on an object and matched or negated the gravity "frequencies" of Earth, he could produce anti-gravity.

I just asked him if he just wanted smokes that day or if he wanted to buy anything else.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    well there are gravitational waves, although we haven't directly proven that yet either,

all of that stuff is on the level i think, not sure about his production method of anti-gravity, but this guy sounds smarter than me so who knows

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yea, I didn't know what to say. He seemed to be on the ball, but negating gravitational frequencies with such a method seems kind out of there to me, even for theoretical physics. I think he was just offering an example of how one could conceivably produce vibrations, though.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Cerrius wrote: »
    And you can do science.

High end science. Thanks to the fact that we're living in the future, you can do coolass shit like download remotely sensed information from Mars. Want a surface point map of Mars? Can do - you can download the data from the Mars Orbital Laser Altimeter. You want that in shapefile or e00? What resolution would you like it in? If you got the bandwidth, NASA got the data. I mean think about it - an object in orbit around Mars --> NASA --> your desktop.

When can we pilot Battlemechs is what I want to know.

Well, they got a monkey to make a robot walk remotely, and a Neuro-Interface of similar type is what Battlemechs use to maintain their balance, with the help of a gyroscope, of course.
    oh my god

monkey battlemechs

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haven't we already determined that some forms energy behave as both particles and waves?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Believe so, yea.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    yes

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_BzTMeV4HI Dr. Quantum talks about it, it is a cartoon, about science.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAtdsDTt__s&feature=related

The best science is the science of Robots destroying property.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haven't we already determined that some forms energy behave as both particles and waves?

They call 'em photons.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My little light cheat sheet on my lab wall says:

Wave-particle duality:
    Light usually behaves like a continuous wave, but it can also act as if it is composed of discrete particles of energy called Photons.

Light's wave-like nature can be revealed when light diffracts through two slits and shines onto another surface. Light passing through the slits acts as two waves that disrupt and interfere with each other. Where the wave' peaks and troughs overlap, they combine to produce a characteristic interference pattern of light and dark bands.

But when light of different wavelengths shines on a metal surface, the existence of the individuals photons becomes clear. If an electron in the metal absorbs more than a threshold amount of energy, it breaks free and zips away. Since shorter wavelengths contain more energy, a very bright but long-wavelength (think red) light will have no effect on the metal, while a very dim but short-wavelength (blue) light will release electrons. The energy of ejected electrons increases not with greater amounts light, but with more energetic wavelengths. This means each electron ejection depends on the energy of an indivudal photon.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAtdsDTt__s&feature=related

The best science is the science of Robots destroying property.

why would you build a robot to do something that gravity does so much better?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ah the double slit experiment, this guy seems to favour the copenhagen interpretation which i was taught (that the observer causes the collapse into one way for the electron to behave), what is now gaining popularity and i've only done a tiny but of reading on (and i think i prefer) is the many worlds interpretation which is basically that the electron does go through both slits but basically the universe (yes the whole universe) splits so that both events can occur in different universes, thus there are an infinite number of universes and whenever you do anything every other possible reality exists in a different universe.

I got some youtube videos because i'm such a nice guy

this is a nice little documentary which is presented by the theories originators son, who also happens to be E from the Eels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx2zF8DB_U4

and here's a 2 minute little explanation from some chick who's doing a project for college for those of you who don't want to sit through an hour with E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KN6a8inOF8

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ah yea, the idea of every choice splitting reality, resulting in different universes for every possible reality that could have resulted from choice. Basically the entire universe being in super position.
    a_memphis.jpg

ha ha ha ha

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    quantum physics theory is pretty much just dudes on acid just saying shit like "no dude seriously what if everything happened!"

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    'swy I stick with biology, ha ha ha

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That is some Leibnitz shit, you assholes!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I did year of Quantumn mechanics taught by a borderline autistic lecturer. Basically it was a year of some horrible maths with zero explanation of what any of it meant, it's only now that i've gotten my degree that i'm starting to find out

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    also it makes me happy to know that there are an infinte number of universes where i'm boning Scarlett Johansen right now

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Is there also a universe where murdering children considered morally sound?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Is there also a universe where murdering children considered morally sound?

A universe?!?

Try infinity universes!

Seriously, that whole shit there just fucking reeks of some dude with a sweet new Graffix bong and his older brother's philosophy book.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Sword_of_LightSword_of_Light Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    And you can do science.

High end science. Thanks to the fact that we're living in the future, you can do coolass shit like download remotely sensed information from Mars. Want a surface point map of Mars? Can do - you can download the data from the Mars Orbital Laser Altimeter. You want that in shapefile or e00? What resolution would you like it in? If you got the bandwidth, NASA got the data. I mean think about it - an object in orbit around Mars --> NASA --> your desktop.

When can we pilot Battlemechs is what I want to know.

Well, they got a monkey to make a robot walk remotely, and a Neuro-Interface of similar type is what Battlemechs use to maintain their balance, with the help of a gyroscope, of course.

I asked him 'cause his name is a Battletech reference, but I find your battle monkey mechs
    intriguing and would like to subscribe to your ideas and/or newsletter.

How is Sword of Light a battletech reference?

Please keep in mind I'm familiar with Inner Sphere history from the Betrayal up to about 3066.

Waddyoukiddinme? Kurita sourcebook - the SoL are the elite battlemech regiments of The Draconis Combine.

Sword_of_Light on
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. "
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ah yea, the idea of every choice splitting reality, resulting in different universes for every possible reality that could have resulted from choice. Basically the entire universe being in super position.
    a_memphis.jpg

ha ha ha ha

Dresden Codak is great.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    also it makes me happy to know that there are an infinte number of universes where i'm boning Scarlett Johansen right now

as well as an infinite number of universes where Abe Vagoda is boning you....

Sword_of_Light on
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. "
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    heh, yeah
    science owns

*goes back to writing lab report on oscilloscopes*

*kills himself*

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Also an infinite number of universes where me and you are boning like a pair of knights jousting, as is my understanding of gay sex

care to make this one of those universes?

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Also an infinite number of universes where me and you are boning like a pair of knights jousting, as is my understanding of gay sex

My wife would object. As, I'm sure, would Scarlette Johannsen.

Wait. Like knights jousting? Is that how they do it? Hmmmm. Maybe I should find a gay person and get some Medieval II tips, cause I cant get my cav to do a damn thing but get slaughtered by archers....

Sword_of_Light on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wait, no, thats more disturbing. Getting propositioned for gay sex by puppy Clifford.

Sword_of_Light on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Wait. Like knights jousting? Is that how they do it? Hmmmm. Maybe I should find a gay person and get some Medieval II tips, cause I cant get my cav to do a damn thing but get slaughtered by archers....

Maybe you'll get better results if you circle around behind the archers.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Maybe you'll get better results if you circle around behind the archers.

I'm actually kidding - my cav only gets slaughtered when I sally out to wreck the enemy's siege artillery, and then only after they've decimated the artillery crew. This forces an assault on my walls, and if I dont kill 20% before they get inside, I concider it a bad fight. Otherwise, I'm pretty good with tactics when it comes to cav units, especially the missile units - I captured a half dozen territories as the Russians with an army made up entirely of cav, half heavies, half missile. I'd starve the defenders to attacking, then out-manuever them on the field.

Sword_of_Light on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is my new favorite thread. But honestly guys, that jet pack thing is like the sexiest thing I've seen in a long time. I was watching that video and my jaw literally just dropped at about the 3-minute mark. I had no idea how to process it.

It's a man... FLYING.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man is not meant for flight. That "jet pack" is an affront to the Lord.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I though Knob was on a Pro-Jetpack platform.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh, sorry, let me rephrase that:

Man is not meant for flight according to orthodox theological belief systems. That "jet pack" is an affront to the Christian Gods and demi-gods.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2008
    The original 6th commandment was "thou shalt not pack jets" but everyone was like "wtf is a jet" and God was all "omg der all n00bz" so he had to make room for a rule about spawn killing.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Einstein would roll over in his grave. God not only plays dice, the dice are loaded.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh, sorry, let me rephrase that:

Man is not meant for flight according to orthodox theological belief systems. That "jet pack" is an affront to the Christian Gods and demi-gods.

WOO HOO! Jetpacks for me and mine!

Sword_of_Light on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    Einstein would roll over in his grave. God not only plays dice, the dice are loaded.

Ha ha ha, that is great

Davoid on
    rqv6.png