Options

Pirates of the [Chat]

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    putting the dollar sign on the wrong side of the price is for cretins and Rush fans
    I mean sixty dollar signs.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Pirates aren't too much trouble later on. If you've got your planets armed to the gills the pirates don't stand much of a chance. In the later parts of our game last night dyna and I quit paying off the pirates all together and I just used the money to make more cruisers to kill pirates with.

The pirates are great experience providers for your capital ships!

Another early trouble that vexed me for a while: "Well defended" means a planet with ~15-25 gauss/beam/missle emplacements, or ~3-6 hanger bays full of fighters.

It seems impossible early on, but if you keep in mind that you should allocate a few hundred credits every once in a while to pumping up the defense of that one choke-point planet, you will find that far fewer annoying siege raids get through.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Woah. Wouldn't it be "I heard about that from the radio"? Or is that pedantic?
    No, it's "on the radio". Same way you watch a show "on TV", not "from TV". Or you hear about an event "on the news", not "from the news".
    Ah. I heard about that from the sound emitting device.
    It depends if the sound-emitting device is a person or a plastic box. You heard it from the sound-emitting person who's on the sound-emitting box.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PIP PIP

Going to start picking up English street urchins now? Going to give Oliver Twist a little twist?

Gim on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The funny thing is that he doesn't think he's a cock.

He called me a cock for pointing that he is, in fact, a cock.

@Gim: I'm more of a loli guy. You know. Must get the muffins while they're still warm from the oven and all that.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Not Sarastro will never be effective. He is such a cock all the time.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    putting the dollar sign on the wrong side of the price is for cretins and Rush fans
    How is that the wrong side? Would you say you'll buy the game for sixty dollars or for dollars sixty? It's 60$ unless you have a speech impairment.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Woah. Wouldn't it be "I heard about that from the radio"? Or is that pedantic?
    No, it's "on the radio". Same way you watch a show "on TV", not "from TV". Or you hear about an event "on the news", not "from the news".
    Ah. I heard about that from the sound emitting device.
    It depends if the sound-emitting device is a person or a plastic box. You heard it from the sound-emitting person who's on the sound-emitting box.
    Okay perhaps it is: I heard it from a sound-emitting device, in which the device receives a transmission from a station that holds a person emitting sound into a sound-receiving device.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH That was cool. How come pedantics are never happy?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PIP PIP

Awww fuck what the hell did richy do

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Actually I did it myself.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I dunno, Irond. Playing this game on the heels of Eternal Sonata have left me jaded with this generation's JRPG offerings.

The fact that you aren't scoffing leads me to think you haven't gotten into the tear jerkfest that's around 3/4s in of disc one.

The skill system is endlessly fun to obsess over though. I spend forty minutes last night debating what the best system would be. I guess the game gets kudos for forcing me to think strategically.

I just hit the plot-point you're talking about and... well.. I liked it. I thought it was well-done and kind of affecting. I find the little dream vignettes interesting and refreshing.

I mean, that said, the last JRPG I actually played all the way through was FFVII, so maybe I don't have the right context to really judge such things. I nearly finished Enchanted Arms, which I thought had a puerile story, and I found Blue Dragon's story and characters grating. I've not yet picked up Eternal Sonata because so many people have been griping about it that I didn't really want to risk the $60

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

sure sure

go kiss your Neil Peart poster

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pirates aren't too much trouble later on. If you've got your planets armed to the gills the pirates don't stand much of a chance. In the later parts of our game last night dyna and I quit paying off the pirates all together and I just used the money to make more cruisers to kill pirates with.

The pirates are great experience providers for your capital ships!

Another early trouble that vexed me for a while: "Well defended" means a planet with ~15-25 gauss/beam/missle emplacements, or ~3-6 hanger bays full of fighters.

It seems impossible early on, but if you keep in mind that you should allocate a few hundred credits every once in a while to pumping up the defense of that one choke-point planet, you will find that far fewer annoying siege raids get through.

Exactly. If you're able to put a solid planetary defense around choke planets, you'll be safe from pirates and have more time reacting to hostile incursions of other races.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Needs to be updated in the sig too.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

sure sure

go kiss your Neil Peart poster
    the one with the pentagram or the one with the naked guy

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Zen, where did you get that top-hat and monocle? They look great, but I'm pretty sure I haven't had time to do them... yet. Did you break the laws of causality to get your avatar faster?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Do we have a college basketball thread? This link needs to go in it.

http://sportsyenta.blogspot.com/2008/02/greatest-photo-weve-seen-lately-yes.html

(Click the picture when you get to the blog to make it bigger.)

Medopine on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    How is that the wrong side? Would you say you'll buy the game for sixty dollars or for dollars sixty? It's 60$ unless you have a speech impairment.
    Anyone who speaks French as a first language has no fucking grounds to grouse about the inconsistencies and arbitrary nonsense of any other language anywhere ever.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok now this is getting scary. How are you answering my questions a full two minutes before I ask them?

Stop messing with the space-time continuum already!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    @Gim: I'm more of a loli guy. You know. Must get the muffins while they're still warm from the oven and all that.

Olivia Twist, then.

Gim on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    When I moved my fiancee out to be with me, her mother staged a dinner with their local pastor to convice us how wrong we were.

And you later went on to call yourself Preacher. Hmm...

Nah I have had this ID for a long time.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

The symbol does not go in pronunciation order in Big Boy languages

this isn't French. We have standards

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've gotten 3 DREs in Lost Odyssey.

12-13 hours in now.

Sigh.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok now this is getting scary. How are you answering my questions a full two minutes before I ask them?

Stop messing with the space-time continuum already!

PIP PIP

Also: To be fair, I hunted for this image hard. I hate 4chan.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Go play audiosurf

i want to beat your ass at somesongs

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    When I moved my fiancee out to be with me, her mother staged a dinner with their local pastor to convice us how wrong we were.

Because of Garth Ennis?

Edit: What's audiosurf?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You do realize that is not possible.

And I have to buy it, first.

Can I buy it in a store?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Penn Jillette is going to be on Dancing With The Stars. The man is 17 feet tall. I am unsure of how this will work out.

Gim on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Nathan Explosion's girlfriend is such a bitch.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Penn Jillette is going to be on Dancing With The Stars. The man is 17 feet tall. I am unsure of how this will work out.

Magic.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Texas is a "coke" state.
    I use the term soft drink.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I've gotten 3 DREs in Lost Odyssey.

12-13 hours in now.

Sigh.

I have not gotten a DRE since I upgraded to the Elite, though I have had the rare hard crash. My old box would throw out DREs like it was on a fucking timer or something.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Because of Garth Ennis?

Partially, also partially because of Pale Rider.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Magic.

He will build a dancing machine powered by his libertarian rage

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Texas is a "coke" state.
    I use the term soft drink.

Obviously you are a member of "Al-Kayduh"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I dunno, Irond. Playing this game on the heels of Eternal Sonata have left me jaded with this generation's JRPG offerings.

The fact that you aren't scoffing leads me to think you haven't gotten into the tear jerkfest that's around 3/4s in of disc one.

The skill system is endlessly fun to obsess over though. I spend forty minutes last night debating what the best system would be. I guess the game gets kudos for forcing me to think strategically.

I just hit the plot-point you're talking about and... well.. I liked it. I thought it was well-done and kind of affecting. I find the little dream vignettes interesting and refreshing.

I mean, that said, the last JRPG I actually played all the way through was FFVII, so maybe I don't have the right context to really judge such things. I nearly finished Enchanted Arms, which I thought had a puerile story, and I found Blue Dragon's story and characters grating. I've not yet picked up Eternal Sonata because so many people have been griping about it that I didn't really want to risk the $60

FFXII = best JRPG i've played yet. Persona 3 is close one though just for personality and also managing to incorporate dating sim elements in a surprisingly awesome way.

JPants on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Magic.

He will build a dancing machine powered by his libertarian rage

I'll watch just to see the inevitable moment when someone thanks God and he runs in and punches them in the face.

Gim on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

My huge beef with Eternal Sonata was that it's story was terribly incoherent and the dialog inane a good 40% of the time.

Lost Odyssey, it's not so much the fact that it tries to involve you emotionally. I really enjoy the vignettes, although I think it's uncanny how many ten year old girl's Kaim has left an impression on through his wanderings. I'm more upset at the sheer volume of tear jerking moments going on. Get to the end of the crimson forest, and if you still feel the way you do, then I guess it either means I've become somewhat jaded with regards to becoming emotionally involved in games, a prospect I don't find enticing, or maybe it just doesn't grate as much to someone that hasn't seen it at all before.

Lost Odyssey is extremely original with regard to some of its characters though. Have to give it that.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DRE's?

JPants on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Because of Garth Ennis?

Partially, also partially because of Pale Rider.

:^: Good man!

Haphazard on
This discussion has been closed.