As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resume for Peace Corps

spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello everyone. I have decided to go into the Peace Corps. I made this decision a while ago, and have been working on my application for some time. Tonight I finally finished my essays for the application.

My question for you is about the resume I am submitting with my application. I have updated it from my last job to better suit the peace corps, but I am unsure whether or not it has been done correctly to fit the peace corps. Would anyone experienced with this stuff mind taking a look at it for me and giving me pointers if I have done things incorrectly? Did I include anything that I don't need? Did I forget to include something that is important?

As soon as I have the resume where it is done correctly I will be submitting my application (hooray!)

Here is the resume in html format. Not exactly the same as the actual document but pretty close...
resume in html format

And here is the resume in .doc format.
.doc format

The only thing I have removed is my address/phone number personal info for obvious reasons.

Thanks!

test.jpg
spacerobot on

• Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    -You could improve your wording a bit. I'm thinking of things like "fast at learning"...where you could just put "fast learner" or a simple phrase like that.
    -Make sure all your statements are in the same tense, also. Resumes should be in past tense. Don't say, for instance, "Supervise exhibits in museums", say supervised exhibits, etc.
    -Also, you have to make it sound really positive. Instead of "Worked with underprivileged children to keep them safe throughout the day." say, "ensured the safety of unerprivileged children"...that kind of thing. I can give you some random sample phrases from my resume if you want some strong positive verbs. Let me know.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the tips. I just went back and changed all my previous jobs to past tense.
    You mentioned changing the wording... do you mean changing things to be very brief and to the point?
    The making it sound really positive is difficult for me to do. I would love some samples for that.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    For his job as a caller at a call center, my boyfriend's resume says:

* Demonstrated ability to communicate information effectively.
    * Aided in generating funds for various nonprofit organizations.

For his job at Game Stop:

* Contributed to branch being named top store in district.
    * Increased game sales through product knowledge.
    * Provided excellent customer service.
    * Assisted in organization of public game launch.

As a tech support guy at our school:

* Provided frontline technical support to students.
    * Maintained high level of employer satisfaction.

For his job at Hot Topic (I can never tease him enough):

* Advised managers regarding new sales initiatives.
    * Increased sales through product knowledge and quality customer service.
    * Fostered store organization.

For my job as a writer/editor in my school's media relations department:

* Composed documents for use on campus website and other media.
    * Created and distributed press releases for local and general media contacts.
    * Edited documents for accuracy of content and proper format.

Lead counselor at a camp:

* Served as a leader and role model for summer staff and campers.
    * Ensured safety of staff, summer staff, campers, and camp as a whole.
    * Provided effective counseling to summer staff and campers.

Working at the school's admissions office:

* Provided crucial information to prospective students and their families.

Another writing/editing job (can you tell I'm an English major?)

* Wrote and edited official documents for campus-wide distribution.
    * Displayed effective research skills and informative writing capabilities.

It sounds cheesy, but you really have to sell yourself. I've gotten compliments on my resume from various people who then hired me. And yeah, making it all sound positive is hard, especially when you feel like your job was mundane (as was mine in my school's office, and my boyfriend's as a caller at a call center) You just have to make it all sound like you are the most amazing person in the world.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thank you for the help! I changed several things to make them sound more professional. I removed 'helped' and other words that I used which made it sound like I was only doing a little bit. For example I changed "helped provide basic reference services to patrons." to "Provide thorough reference and research service to patrons and students." Or I changed "helped lead a church group I attended the trip with" to "Assisted in leading a church group." And other stuff like that.

Is it safe to assume the layout of the resume is fine since you didn't mention that?

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

He should consider further revision: "Demonstrated effective communication skills." ;-)

Shark_MegaByte on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok. I officially submitted my application tonight (woohoo!) So I guess i'll see what happens from here. Thanks again for the help.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A lil late, but for future reference, you should put the type of degree your recieving (aka, BSBA, BA, etc).

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

He should consider further revision: "Demonstrated effective communication skills." ;-)

Ahhh. Duly noted. Haha. Thanks.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    ShmoepongShmoepong Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As an RPCV I think your resume has a lot of selflessness that your recruiter will be looking for. Everyone else covered all the technical details. Good luck man, I'd like to hear where you get sent to.

Oh, the medical process could take anywhere from 3 to 6 months, so don't get discouraged.

Shmoepong on
    I don't think I could take a class without sparring. That would be like a class without techniques. Sparring has value not only as an important (necessary) step in applying your techniques to fighting, but also because it provides a rush and feeling of elation, confidence, and joyful exhaustion that can only be matched by ... oh shit, I am describing sex again. Sorry everyone. - Epicurus
  • Options
    pricklygoopricklygoo Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    "Repaired and built worn down homes" -- reword - makes it sound like you built worn down homes imo. Perhaps rebuilt.

pricklygoo on