I have a curious attraction towards places that are far away. Sometimes when I'm bored I find myself looking at a world map or something and wondering what life on <insert remote place name here> would be like.
I think it's kinda sad that I'm 23 yet I'm already thinking about where I'd move for retirement.
Maybe I'm not the only one who is like this. So I thought I'd make a thread. With pictures. Here are three remote (and maybe exotic) places that at some point in life I'd like to visit and live in for a few years at least. Of course your definition of "awesome" may be different so feel free to share your own places, preferably with pictures!
Located 300 miles off the coast of the southern tip of South America, Falkland Islands are an archipelago consisting of two big islands and about eight hundred smaller islands. They are a self-governing Overseas Territory of the UK.
Awesome things about them:
- There are only three thousand people on the islands.
- The islands are close enough to Antarctica that there are penguins on them! Penguins!
- The islands have only one eye doctor that visits only once a couple of years so if you're an eye doctor you'll be treated as god there.
Pictures (shamelessly stolen from the wikipedia entry):
Chile is a country in South America that sits between the Andes Mountains and the Pacific Ocean. It commands the longest shoreline in South America: some 4000km long. The country spans from tropical regions all the way south to arctic regions, and as such each of the 15 regions of the country are fairly different from one another.
- Longest country in the world! Amazing diversity in geography (see pics).
- The least corrupt country in South America. Unlike the rest the country is run really well.
- I tried a pisco once and it's amazing.
- Their traditional dance, The Cueca
, looks fun
Anyway I'd like to list more but I'm out of time. So I'll just make this OP and let you guys post your own stuff.
- Spoiler images if they are big
- List some facts about the place you're posting about
- Talk about your travel experiences if you have any!
Have at it.