As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DSL/Internets/new build/grey hairs issues

Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I built my dear grandmother a new computer for her birthday, and everything is smooth as babyshit... except for the innermets. She's running a Verizon DSL connection, which is working fine except that her computer can't create a connection. Checking the Network Connections yields a 1394 Connection, but there's no Local Area Connection listed and I can't figure out how to create one--any of the network wizards that I've tried are no help.

I've gotten all of the available motherboard drivers from Gigabyte's website, and they installed without a hitch. However, the Device Manager still lists an "Other PCI Device" that's missing a driver. This could be the culprit, but without an internet connection I can't even search for it. I'm not sure what said PCI Device could be, either.

Right now I'm at a loss. I even tried running the Verizon setup disc in a lame attempt to just get the thing configured, but it hung on the modem test. What could I do to get this thing working?

kofz2amsvqm3.png
Seattle Thread on

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have you installed your network card?

Does the modem come with a CD?

Is USB an option?

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Network is integrated, the modem CD would be the "Verizon setup disc," USB what?

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is the network card a PCI network card? What OS are you running?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    WinXP Pro... the network adapter is integrated into the motherboard--I don't have a PCI network card, else I would try using that.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png