Options

[Game On!] Gundam Online - SIEG ZEON!

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Videos make it seem more actiony then RPGish. is the battle system as good as those vids look?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I went out and bought an MS-09 Rick Dom. What's a good solid shell gun to equip to it? And what is that kendo looking thing on its back, and why can't I use it?

Heat Saber. It's stupid that it's actually part of the model. As for the shell-firing weapon, go with a Giant Bazooka if you don't want to go for the Beam Bazooka.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Videos make it seem more actiony then RPGish. is the battle system as good as those vids look?

It's very action-oriented. I've noticed that strafing seems to matter alot, as you seem to get hit more if you're not moving (Unless you have a high AMBAC score, and even then you should still be moving.). Advanced techniques like reversing your strafing or timing your strafing to start when you get a "locked on" message seems to cause enemies to miss as well.

Also, i'm on the verge of reaching the next tier of producable MS's (RGM-79 and possibly the Cold Combat (Sniper?) type.) on my Federation crafter. I would have gotten there sooner, but college, along with the fact that I have to craft a crap-load of hovertrucks to level up has slowed me down. I should be able to level alot faster now that i'm done with college.

Edit: And yes, the battle system is awesome. Those videos don't do it justice. In fact a couple of the more lackluster videos aren't really representative of it at all. Maybe i'll fraps one of our larger groups going into battle on my Dom TTT some day soon so that people can get a perspective of what mid-tier combat is like.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nother question, does this game have a signifigant amont of time devotion in order to earn money/new units and whatever and such? Will the game own you if you want a unit that really interests you, like a Rick Dom?

In that sense, as a newbie, will I get punished by far more time in the newbtank if I say, want my first unit to be a Dom instead of a Zaku? I'd be willing to buy a Zaku to start off with as an early goal, but I personally really like the Dom Series.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You can't even use a Dom until your MS skill is high enough. You can pilot one but you can't do anything other than just tip-toe around at pathetic speeds.

Most Zaku variants don't require any sort of skill. The Gogg is also nice. Powerful melee with the highest armor rating. Dunno how cheap it is, though.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    RydarkRydark Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gogg custom goes for about 2.5 million. It's a nice suit for beginners to make money in.

Rydark on
    Rydark.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    You can't even use a Dom until your MS skill is high enough. You can pilot one but you can't do anything other than just tip-toe around at pathetic speeds.

Most Zaku variants don't require any sort of skill. The Gogg is also nice. Powerful melee with the highest armor rating. Dunno how cheap it is, though.

Ah, I see. Didn't knpw there was a skill proficiency system like that, shod've flipped through more of a Wiki. Sould I just buy a Zaku 1 as soon as I have 150,000? is it a big enough of an improvement over the Megellan to make the purchase?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Just read the Newbie guide.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:

Ah, I see. Didn't knpw there was a skill proficiency system like that, shod've flipped through more of a Wiki. Sould I just buy a Zaku 1 as son as I have 150,000?

You start with a million EF (the currency), so get a Zaku II once you get the hang of things with the free starter Magellan Tanks, but don't be too worried about it since you start with enough cash for 3-4 Zaku IIs and the tanks are really useless. The skill to use the good Doms (Tropical Test Type, standard and Rick versions) can take a couple days to get, depending on your play time, so you may want to upgrade to either a custom crafted Zaku and/or advanced Zaku variant (cannon/desert/command etc) in between. You can get the MS skill for the Prototype Dom fairly quickly but you need to have it crafted and it really isn't that great. Also the Wiki lists MS skill required, stats and whether it needs to be crafted or not for each suit.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    Max DamageMax Damage Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Alert to all players:

In a daring sneak attack, a massive Zeon force blitzed through the city of Newman just now, capturing it in a matter of minutes. Most of the Federation pilots didn't even get a chance to suit up - they just transported out.

Ceasefire has been declared. Hostilities renew, with Zeon in defensive posture in Newman in.. 2 hours 48 minutes from this post.

Be there.

Max Damage on
    CorrosiveWaffle.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cool, I'll try to be there.

Does anyone know what the awards for Richmond/Newman are for and how you acquire them?

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    Cool, I'll try to be there.

Does anyone know what the awards for Richmond/Newman are for and how you acquire them?

Well, the cities are their own reward - they sell everything cheaper, and it seems that they have prime mining grounds very nearby too.

To capture it, it appears you have to knock out the five command towers scattered around the base/valleys within the time limit.

On the personal glory front, I believe players who score kills or play a part in knocking out towers are awarded money and medals.

Max Damage on
    CorrosiveWaffle.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    With Newman captured, does it mean we can buy stock Feddie suits and weapons? Or do the shops get converted to Zeon hardware?

Nope, you sadly can't. Dammit, and I wanted one of those RX-79[G] cannons. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is the Federation getting creamed in this game so far? Because it seems to me that most people have a preference for Zeon over Feds.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ok, the battle to defend Newman from a Federation counter-attack was nothing short of glorious. The sheer number of things you can do is insane. Dominic and I actually started the war by getting shot down while reconning the enemy base. After that all the players defending manned the "walls" and took on a huge force of GMs, Snipers, and Gundams that assaulted and tried to breach the canyons. After that I ended up getting involved in an Ace Combat-esque air battle with Dominic again over the enemy base and then accidentally started a massive 30+ MS counter-charge comprised of Japanese players by announcing that I was going to scout the enemy camp. The charge/war ended up with us literally leveling the base, taking out the hangar, repair shop, machine shop, weapon shop, and bank.

Once I get all the pictures uploaded i'll post the seven or so screenshots I have of the battle, along with commentary.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Do you have to be really advanced and good at this game to participate in PVP? That's what I've heard, but you guys are all fairly new, right?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Do you have to be really advanced and good at this game to participate in PVP? That's what I've heard, but you guys are all fairly new, right?

Not really. Once you get to the point where you can shoot NPC's reliably you're ok. It usually takes an hour for you to get to that point, and a day if you want to ensure that you'll never miss. Hell, I was piloting a customized Zaku II and kicking ass during that war for most of the time I was on the ground. I imagine that if I had used my Dom TTT I would have wreaked havoc. Besides which, we regularly go on NPC hunts, which can increase your skill-points massively.

Edit: City/Warfare PVP seems to be more about tactics and cooperation more then anything else anyways. We were massively outnumbered during the start of the war and held out against a huge Federation attack by taking the high ground and using the canyons and higher elevation as cover against enemy fire. Also, the Japanese players in this game don't do the whole WoW-esque "RUSH RUSH LOLOLOL" thing, which usually ensures that you won't lose the battle due to mass incompetence.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, it was surprisingly fun, even if I did lose my precious Gouf. At least I went down fighting Gundams. The only thing that sucked was that I lost my connection twice at the end and after the second time I decided to give up for a while.

Also, I was there helping with the destruction of the bank and hanger, in my (stupid) store-bougth Zogok.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Is the Federation getting creamed in this game so far? Because it seems to me that most people have a preference for Zeon over Feds.

Actually, I've seen more battles lost than won so far - I was downright surprised when that huge Zeon force just washed into Newman and took it. The retaliatory attack was pretty weak, too.

Max Damage on
    CorrosiveWaffle.png
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    just watch, they're secretly planning on ripping your town out from under you.

well, the JP feddies are, at least. the gamefaqs guys are probably just whining.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    just watch, they're secretly planning on ripping your town out from under you.

well, the JP feddies are, at least. the gamefaqs guys are probably just whining.

Considering how the JP Feddies play, that's actually pretty accurate. It seems that at least half of them have a customized Gundam in their hangar, but only use it when necessary. I'd be willing to bet that one of the upcoming sieges is going to be intense.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That was incredibly fun. I think I had three kills and my Gouf was fairly intact. I took potshots at the Feddies from the canyon wall and suffered 25% damage so I ran off to repair, then came back to join the ground charge to their camp. I took out a GM attempting to capture one of the light beacons, another GM, and melee'd a Ground Gundam to death. It was firing its beam rifle at other Zeon players when I made the charge. A couple others joined in to help me take him down, and the guy even whipped out his beam saber to try and fend me off. He damaged my shield to 98% before he decided to run off and try and get repaired at his camp. He died mere feet away from the repair truck. That was awesome.
    Max Damage wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

Actually, I've seen more battles lost than won so far - I was downright surprised when that huge Zeon force just washed into Newman and took it. The retaliatory attack was pretty weak, too.

From the way you described it, it sounds like we surprised the ever-living fuck out of them when we took Newman. Shock and awe, bitch!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ArgonArgon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is SRX still recruiting? I'd like to join if I could.

I was at Newman today, too, but my story isn't quite as exciting as everyone else's. I missed all the fighting except that final charge into the Feddie camp.

Argon on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Watching those movies in the OP made me think how much cooler this sort of game would be if it wasn't a point and click autofight sort of combat system. Something like this, but with FPS style combat, or better yet, Armored Core style combat, would be the best MMOG ever.

What I'm trying to say is, Armored Core MMO plz

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Argon wrote:

I was at Newman today, too, but my story isn't quite as exciting as everyone else's. I missed all the fighting except that final charge into the Feddie camp.

I actually started that charge. I'm still chuckling at how "scouting!" turned into "INITIATING MASSIVE ATTACK!".

Also, did anyone else laugh a little when that Japanese player told us not to destroy their hangar "because it ruins combatt enjoyment", while there were around fifty Gouf's and Dom's surrounding it just waiting for someone to try to escape?

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Argon wrote:

I actually started that charge. I'm still chuckling at how "scouting!" turned into "INITIATING MASSIVE ATTACK!".

Also, did anyone else laugh a little when that Japanese player told us not to destroy their hangar "because it ruins combatt enjoyment", while there were around fifty Gouf's and Dom's surrounding it just waiting for someone to try to escape?

I didn't. I felt bad for the guy. Then again, that was kinda funny. As for SRX recruiting? We should still have a couple more spots. Once we fill up, you should create the new squad, Archo. Bonus points for you if you call it ATX. :D

Also, it's Zeon tradition that "Scouting!" means "INITIATING MASSIVE ATTCK!". Remember Side 7!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hostilities commence in Newman in <10 minutes.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Argon wrote:

I didn't. I felt bad for the guy. Then again, that was kinda funny. As for SRX recruiting? We should still have a couple more spots. Once we fill up, you should create the new squad, Archo. Bonus points for you if you call it ATX. :D

Also, it's Zeon tradition that "Scouting!" means "INITIATING MASSIVE ATTCK!". Remember Side 7!

We need to decide on a name then. I think ATX and Bacon Robots were up for grabs in the last thread.

We have to be close to filling up SRX, so I should get around to making the second squad soon, if not tonight, so that we'll have some players in it who know each other.

Archonex on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Argon wrote:

We need to decide on a name then. I think ATX and Bacon Robots were up for grabs in the last thread.

We have to be close to filling up SRX, so I should get around to making the second squad soon, if not tonight, so that we'll have some players in it who know each other.
    Yeah its a good idea to keep both below the limit, so we have 2 people who can do invites.

Stregone on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I really wish I had thought to take a screencap before I died. It was during the initial charge, so there were 30-50 feddies out there. It was really intense; beams were flying every where, our Gelgoogs/Goufs taking shots from above and those of us on the bottom, trapped against the canyon walls, making a suicide charge against the Federation forces.

It was just very cool.

Invisible on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Does anyone lag a ton in PvP?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Choppy framerates? Yes. Also, I lost my Gouf in the massive Feddie counterattack. = (

Okay, so maybe not exactly. We chased them into their camp and I started to haul ass back to the canyon the minute their forces picked up in number. What did my dumb ass do? I saw a half-dead GM run out of the canyon and I gave chase... right into the camp's snipers' hands. :(

They really want their town back.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I don't even have choppy framerates and I have the MS detail set to the max (city is only at like half or 3/4, though). Of course my connection dropped twice at the end, though I think that had more to do with my connection being weird than the game.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Argon wrote:

Hmm... so I should wait for the new squad to be formed then? Sounds good to me. Who do I need to talk to in-game?

Argon on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Just lost my MS cause of lag.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Argon wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Argon wrote:

Hmm... so I should wait for the new squad to be formed then? Sounds good to me. Who do I need to talk to in-game?

Maedanis Ulrith, ingame. That'd be me. Also, that last battle was nothing short of epic. First the Federation snuck a small force into the canyon and made a bee-line for our towers, only to find out that we had stationed a ton of MS's there, and then they attacked en-masse while we moved to reposition. There was only about four Zeon MS's (Including us.) total holding off that fifty man MS assault at first, then more and more of Zeonite's showed up and we started to wipe the floor with them. I especially liked the little "line" of Dom's that formed around me at the end. We ended up raining destruction down on a small group of Gundams that tried to rush their way into the canyon. I only got a single screenshot that time, and it was of the counter-attack that wiped out their base. I'll post it once the server goes down.

Archonex on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Okay how do I get moon-speak to appear on my web browser? Right now all I get is ???????????? and it makes trying to sign up all the more confusing.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Maedanis Ulrith, ingame. That'd be me. Also, that last battle was nothing short of epic. First the Federation snuck a small force into the canyon and made a bee-line for our towers, only to find out that we had stationed a ton of MS's there, and then they attacked en-masse while we moved to reposition. There was only about four Zeon MS's (Including us.) total holding off that fifty man MS assault at first, then more and more of Zeonite's showed up and we started to wipe the floor with them. I especially liked the little "line" of Dom's that formed around me at the end. We ended up raining destruction down on a small group of Gundams that tried to rush their way into the canyon. I only got a single screenshot that time, and it was of the counter-attack that wiped out their base. I'll post it once the server goes down.

Man, sounds like it was awesome.

Argon on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What time is the next base fight at after downtime?

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    We held Newman? Oh wow.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg