As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I can't pay my taxes... sorta.

powersspowerss Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I get hit with a huge tax bill. Even with all my deductions, I'm hit with $1,200 in taxes. As a 21 year old self-employed web designer, this sucks ass.

Anyway, I started looking around for payment plan options to the IRS... for example, I think I read that I should mail in as much as I can, then they'll send me a bill for the rest... I really only need a 3 week extension. I could send them a check for $800... then I guess they'd bill me the rest?

My tax guy e-filed for me already. So they know how much should be coming in... suggestions?

powerss on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Call them and explain the situation. They're usually pretty good about trying to work with you for payment, as long as you actually let them know.

Do NOT just send in a random payment for less than the full amount without speaking with someone at the IRS before hand.

Also, there's a tax thread stickied at the top of this forum.

Daenris on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What Daenris said. Call the IRS. Explain the situation to them. Next year, save some money in anticipation of paying taxes.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, now I'm setup to pay estimated taxes, so this shouldn't happen again.

I read that penaltys for late payment are .5% of total owed every month it's late... should I just pay May 15th?

powerss on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Example:

"In addition, if you filed on time but didn't pay on time, you'll generally have to pay a late payment penalty of one-half of one percent of the tax (0.5%) owed for each month, or part of a month, that the tax remains unpaid after the due date, not exceeding 25 percent. However, you will not have to pay the penalty if you can show reasonable cause for the failure. The one-half of one percent rate increases to one percent if the tax remains unpaid after several bills have been sent to you and the IRS issues a notice of intent to levy."

powerss on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    dude, set up a plan. Call them. And if you get a jerk on the phone hang up and dial again. Its amazing how much leeway the individual you end up talking to has.

Do not just send in the money late.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you don't mind your credit potentially taking a hit, go ahead and pay your taxes late.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was given the option to send in my payments in installments just by talking to a few people (and I REALLY got dinged this year too :cry: ). So yeah, call them and work out a plan that you can afford.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I read that penaltys for late payment are .5% of total owed every month it's late... should I just pay May 15th?

As someone who did support for TurboTax for a season (NEVER AGAIN :P) and had to talk to people at the IRS several times....No, no, no, do not just pay it late without making arrangements. As someone already said, call them, and keep calling until you get a decent human on the line who will work with you.

It's hard enough dealing with them when you're in good standing - I talked to several customers that had been blatantly lied to just to get them off the phone - so don't make it any harder on yourself than you have to.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you have a low interest credit card, you might also look into paying by credit card. I have to pay my taxes from overseas so my tax preparer was nice enough to give me a pamphlet with several payment options. To pay by credit card it says to visit www.officialpayments.com or call 1-800-2PAY-TAX. Unfortunately for me, the FOREX rate for the Korean Won devalued against the dollar by almost 10% just 3 weeks ago so this year it's going to hurt.

Oh, it looks like there are other authorized sites you can use to pay with your credit card. This is a list of sites straight from the IRS website.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    powerss wrote: »
    Example:

"In addition, if you filed on time but didn't pay on time, you'll generally have to pay a late payment penalty of one-half of one percent of the tax (0.5%) owed for each month, or part of a month, that the tax remains unpaid after the due date, not exceeding 25 percent. However, you will not have to pay the penalty if you can show reasonable cause for the failure. The one-half of one percent rate increases to one percent if the tax remains unpaid after several bills have been sent to you and the IRS issues a notice of intent to levy."

And the IRS is even willing to waive this if you show a willingness to pay. They as a department get a rap as bad guys but for the most part will bend over backwards if you show a willingness to pay. So call them up and say "I can't pay the full amount right now, but I can pay X right now, can we set up a payment plan for the rest?" and they will work with you in a reasonable fashion.

And they will accept "I didn't expect it to be that much" as a reasonable cause for failure to pay the full amount. Just call them today.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They will not however accept the excuse of "But I thought loosing in Vegas counted as a deduction!" :P

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You may want to take a look at this - might give you some ideas. It also has a cute picture of a cat, which is always a bonus.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu