As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Open Source Boob Project: degrading or celebrating women?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ELM: This is why I'll never make an "all women" remark. Also because I'm not a moron. :P The point was that the penis is often sexualized.

--

Perhaps the larger issue is that there are a hell of a lot of horribly sexually frustrated people with little access to a healthier outlet.

Not everyone gets a mate.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Most women know that in the range of normal penis sizes (i.e. excluding tiny and HUEG) it's not the size that matters so much as how you use it. I really think the emphasis on huge penises is more marketed to men than women.

Medopine on
  • Options
    JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am tickled pink at the outcomes within the thread. I only wish more people had read through before posting.
    Such is life.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Most women know that in the range of normal penis sizes (i.e. excluding tiny and HUEG) it's not the size that matters so much as how you use it. I really think the emphasis on huge penises is more marketed to men than women.

Does it really matter if the end you get is the end you want?:winky:

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think there's a lot of other body image bullshit marketed to men as well, though. It's not just women who are expected to have a great ass, perfect stomach, nice legs, etc.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I honestly don't know. I've never spent any time talking with guys about penises outside of this board. It doesn't come up.

With men the main issue I've seen is to not be a fatty and to not be bald but fat guys and bald people get laid plenty.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh Lord, there is an anime I saw in highschool called "Overfiend" or something like that. It involved GIANT dick monsters. It has affected me for eternity, largely because it was psychotic. I've sworn off the cartoons ever since. Nazis, Giant winged monsters with super penises my god I have no clue how japanese kids grow up without an inferiority complex!

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Overfiend is considered a classic, is the scary thing.

It's like Akira for perverts.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I think there's a lot of other body image bullshit marketed to men as well, though. It's not just women who are expected to have a great ass, perfect stomach, nice legs, etc.
    I'm just not sure that the degrees of pervasiveness are even on the same level. Almost any advertisement will have some part of a woman's skin exposed, while with a man you're just typically going to see arms of varying levels of hairiness.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also: The Japanese have a LOT of problems with sex. It's sort of eating their society.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have to say that I'm willing to forgive/forget this act by The Ferret. I've read his SCG articles and I've always found him to be fair. I think this is either a lapse in judgement, which I myself am guilty of (in genergal, not in regards to teh b00bs), or it happened on a day when he decided it would be smart to not jerk off as long as he could withstand with a con coming up on the weekend. In short, I think he made an error, but he's not the right hand of Satan as he is made out to be.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I'm just not sure that the degrees of pervasiveness are even on the same level. Almost any advertisement will have some part of a woman's skin exposed, while with a man you're just typically going to see arms of varying levels of hairiness.
    o_O

We must be seeing different advertisements, because every time I see a dude on a billboard, his sculpted abs are usually right in the middle of it. Not to mention the perfect jawlines, and usually ridiculously muscular arms.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    JoschuaESQ wrote: »
    Oh Lord, there is an anime I saw in highschool called "Overfiend" or something like that. It involved GIANT dick monsters. It has affected me for eternity, largely because it was psychotic. I've sworn off the cartoons ever since. Nazis, Giant winged monsters with super penises my god I have no clue how japanese kids grow up without an inferiority complex!
    They usually don't.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's actually pretty possible, since the only advertisements I've seen lately have been in Westchester county or Greenwich, CT, where the median income is like $900,000 or some ridiculous bullshit. It's just men golfing. <.<

Sometimes golfing on top of F1 racers or something. >.>

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oro: Try this one (Probably NSFW): http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7754/freddieckoj8.png

Actually a fairly tame example.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    o_O

We must be seeing different advertisements, because every time I see a dude on a billboard, his sculpted abs are usually right in the middle of it. Not to mention the perfect jawlines, and usually ridiculously muscular arms.

You have to admit however that the demand for physical perfection is not as prevalent as it is for women.

Chubby guys can still get promoted, bald guys can still have a normal sex life.

A great example of this is the glut of TV sitcoms featuring a chubby and/or balding guy married to an actress that would normally not be seen as 'in his league'.

You never see the opposite.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oro
    go to a fucking abercrombie and fitch store
    they make me want to vomit
    and rip off my ears

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    o_O

You have to admit however that the demand for physical perfection is not as prevalent as it is for women.

A great example of this is the glut of TV sitcoms featuring a chubby and/or balding guy married to an actress that would normally not be seen as 'in his league'.

I don't think a measuring contest is really a good idea right now. We can all agree that the media promotes and reinforces absurd body images for both men and women.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oro
    and rip off my ears
    WALL TO WALL DENIM SKIRTS

WINTER, SPRING, SUMMER, FALL

WALL TO WALL DENIM MINISKIRTS

it hurts ussss

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    They usually don't.

That's the thing, for all the taboos we see and notice in their cukture, I don't think they're suffering personally with any esteem issues. Now the cultural stuff I have no idea about.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oro
    and rip off my ears

Okay now, we're talking about a company that once thought of selling thongs to tweens. They have to be an extreme example of mass lunacy in general.

I hope at least.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    saggio wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    o_O

I don't think a measuring contest is really a good idea right now. We can all agree that the media promotes and reinforces absurd body images for both men and women.

Fine but should the thread about measuring the levels between the two sexes come around I'm ready for a discussion.

Kagera on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    The standards are lower/more flexible for men by far, though. And here's the kicker: being overweight or an uggo or a not-snappy dresser will not affect a male's financial and career prospects. Those things measurably hamper women. We're paid less and promoted less often if we're fat or ugly - there's a nearly linear negative correlation between earnings and weight in females that doesn't exist in the male population. It happens across careers, it exists in all age groups.

So yeah, we are judged more harshly. Men have more power to dismiss male appearance standards at present. That may be changing though, if the rise in teen male eating disorders is any judge :/

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Men have more power to dismiss male appearance standards at present. That may be changing though, if the rise in teen male eating disorders is any judge :/

Hooray for... progress?

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The standards are lower/more flexible for men by far, though. And here's the kicker: being overweight or an uggo or a not-snappy dresser will not affect a male's financial and career prospects. Those things measurably hamper women. We're paid less and promoted less often if we're fat or ugly - there's a nearly linear negative correlation between earnings and weight in females that doesn't exist in the male population. It happens across careers, it exists in all age groups.

So yeah, we are judged more harshly. Men have more power to dismiss male appearance standards at present. That may be changing though, if the rise in teen male eating disorders is any judge :/
    At the same time, men get bitched out for bringing this shit up, get told "it's not as big of a deal as it is with women," "suck it up," "deal with it," or "man up," and are basically expected to shut up about it, when the problem with female body image is constantly discussed in the media.

Much like the problems of battered men, it's a smaller problem, but one that almost never gets talked about.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Men have more power to dismiss male appearance standards at present. That may be changing though, if the rise in teen male eating disorders is any judge :/

Hooray for... progress?

Fight for gender equality, objectify men!

Kagera on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And here's the kicker: being overweight or an uggo or a not-snappy dresser will not affect a male's financial and career prospects.
    Yeah that's pretty much bullshit.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Being overweight is an incredibly variable experience, frankly. Generalizing it as "Oh it's not such a big deal" really isn't rational.

For the people in an area where being unattractive by the local standard is bad for their gender, it really really really fucking sucks.

--

I wonder if the corporate experience for uggos between genders is the same as between blue collar, office, and sales.

I'd cite my experience, but this area has a lot of physically deformed people so it'd be skewed.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And here's the kicker: being overweight or an uggo or a not-snappy dresser will not affect a male's financial and career prospects.

Even men hate fat/what we percieve to be lazy men. We are critical as hell as to whom we invite into our cliques.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Honestly, I wouldn't judge the opinions of the population until at least the baby boomers die off.

Gen Y and after are living in a much different world than the Baby Boomers who're still flabbing around in our offices.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We really need to change the title, because right now, it's not even a debate.

"Open Source Boob Project: Dumb Precedent, or Dumbest Precedent?"

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Its not an opinion. There've been plenty of research articles on the phenomenon. And it only adds to the fact that actions, opinions and demands are treated with more respect and thoughtfulness when people think they come from a male than from a female. I know you'd love to think you have it tougher, or at least as tough as anyone else, but you don't. Than, this shit is why people tell whining men to stop whining. Its not about denying a problem exists, its about being sick of the poor-me phenomenon when there's little to no justification behind it.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Its not an opinion. There've been plenty of research articles on the phenomenon. And it only adds to the fact that actions, opinions and demands are treated with more respect and thoughtfulness when people think they come from a male than from a female. I know you'd love to think you have it tougher, or at least as tough as anyone else, but you don't. Than, this shit is why people tell whining men to stop whining. Its not about denying a problem exists, its about being sick of the poor-me phenomenon when there's little to no justification behind it.
    If you think that your appearance or style of dress has no effect on your career if you are a man you are fucking delusional.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    there's a nearly linear negative correlation between earnings and weight in females that doesn't exist in the male population. It happens across careers, it exists in all age groups.

Link please? I am both interested in reading such a study and extremely skeptical that its conclusions could possibly be as broad or as definitive as you are claiming.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If you think that your appearance or style of dress has no effect on your career if you are a man you are fucking delusional.
    It doesn't matter enough to impact lifetime earnings, sorry. Of course there's a minimum standard for anyone, no-one' arguing that showing up to you Wallt St job in a pair of shorts and a stained t-shirt won't matter. But you won't be held back by a beer gut, or bad taste in ties, or a receding chin. Women are. Deal with it.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't quite figure out how such a test could even be run... who is deciding that these women are dressed poorly? what quantifies "overweight" for a man or woman? what makes a man's dress sloppy as opposed to nice and neat? where are the guidelines?

a link would be awesome.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Variable, the problem here is that you are thinking. When someone on an internet forum posts a series of bold claims with no supporting evidence the only thing you can do is believe them. Deal with it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    there's a nearly linear negative correlation between earnings and weight in females that doesn't exist in the male population. It happens across careers, it exists in all age groups.

Link please? I am both interested in reading such a study and extremely skeptical that its conclusions could possibly be as broad or as definitive as you are claiming.

here's the first one i found, although its not the study I remember: http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Oct01/weight.income.ssl.html
    the researcher tries an alternative explanation; that fatties are less productive, but it doesn't hold water because only white women are penalised (another level of odd), and the range of weights in the study seems to max out at 65 pounds. 30kg is a lot, but not a huge lot. Still looking for the other one I saw, it was a lot more comprehensive.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It doesn't matter enough to impact lifetime earnings, sorry. Of course there's a minimum standard for anyone, no-one' arguing that showing up to you Wallt St job in a pair of shorts and a stained t-shirt won't matter. But you won't be held back by a beer gut, or bad taste in ties, or a receding chin. Women are. Deal with it.

Counterpoint: Height.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

here's the first one i found, although its not the study I remember: http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Oct01/weight.income.ssl.html
    the researcher tries an alternative explanation; that fatties are less productive, but it doesn't hold water because only white women are penalised (another level of odd), and the range of weights in the study seems to max out at 65 pounds. 30kg is a lot, but not a huge lot. Still looking for the other one I saw, it was a lot more comprehensive.

Reading, but need to head to bed. Will think on this tomorrow.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!