As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gods and Mortals [Phalla] - Game Over: Village Victory!

• Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not sure how many times I have to say this. If someone came to you claiming that you were working for the pigmy god of clusterfuckers and that they were a seer wouldn't you be a bit suspicious?

More importantly why didn't you contact me about your item earlier? You could have found some proof of the existence of collaboration instead of waiting behind the scenes further confusing the village. Nice.

I'm pretty sure I would have tried SOMETHING before I settled on "hey, this dick over here says he's a seer and calls you out. How about that?"

And I'd think it's clear what I didn't come to you with my item. You outed a potential seer as part of a "tactic", hell if I know what you are doing with all the names coming to you or see any benefit in adding another name to the list of people hit by the RNG, especially with my fantasic ability to take away two votes from a landslide.

werehippy on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    More importantly why didn't you contact me about your item earlier? You could have found some proof of the existence of collaboration instead of waiting behind the scenes further confusing the village. Nice.
    Because you are not trustworthy. Even ignoring the bob thing, your network was built publicly with an open-door policy and no checks whatsoever. In all likelihood it's been infiltrated by bad guys from the start. And that's not counting the fact that we only have your word that you're not a bad guy yourself; the only person claiming to have verified you as a villager is evilbob, and even you find him suspicious.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how many times I have to say this. If someone came to you claiming that you were working for the pigmy god of clusterfuckers and that they were a seer wouldn't you be a bit suspicious?

I'm pretty sure I would have tried SOMETHING before I settled on "hey, this dick over here says he's a seer and calls you out. How about that?"

And I'd think it's clear what I didn't come to you with my item. You outed a potential seer as part of a "tactic", hell if I know what you are doing with all the names coming to you or see any benefit in adding another name to the list of people hit by the RNG, especially with my fantasic ability to take away two votes from a landslide.

Well I have been stating throughout the thread what I am doing with the information and all of my claims have been reflected in the narration. What more do you want? I stated that I am keeping all of the individuals who come to me as confidential and only using item properties to seer those who have them. Worst case scenario a baddie enters the group and then does what?

You stated that you believe baddies can obtain items as well. Okay, so what? They contact me. They answer everything correctly and are told how to best use their item for the village victory. If they do something contrary to what would be best for the village we know exactly who did it and they can be immediately removed.

Hm. I wonder why people would argue against my idea aside from stupidity and blatant ignorance to the idea of change.

Oh and we protected evilbob tonight. Hey here's an item since no one believes in the item theory I could just give you all everything I know about them since i'm about to die anyway. Why not totally remove the idea of collaboration through a venune that has been known to be used by a God who WANTS TO SEE THE HUMANS LIVE. YOU KNOW THE VILLAGE.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You stated that you believe baddies can obtain items as well. Okay, so what? They contact me. They answer everything correctly and are told how to best use their item for the village victory. If they do something contrary to what would be best for the village we know exactly who did it and they can be immediately removed.

This.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Further backing up DUE, I think it's safe to assume that the Monkey, being one of the God's, know who the other Gods' pawns are. It would then be logical to assume he wouldn't give those items to baddies.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Further backing up DUE, I think it's safe to assume that the Monkey, being one of the God's, know who the other Gods' pawns are. It would then be logical to assume he wouldn't give those items to baddies.

I believe this also. Those getting items must be from a select group.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »

I don't think it is a select group. I just think it is the villagers. While there is some evidence that there could be a select group I am not ready to back the claim. Unfortunately only one person who actually held an item contacted me today because of the bullshit propagated by the evil faction or the villagers who have been misguided by said faction.

Out of ten people it seems that three of them received items twice. This is only in relation to days 2, 3, and 4.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sigh. If none of you believe the item idea there's no sense in setting up a network head for tomorrow so I won't add another name to the hundreds, (possible thousands) of names that I have given out through the course of the game.
    zombie-survival-guide.jpg
    I think i'll be needing this come narration.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Except phallas are lost when people stop thinking and just treat "I believe this" as if it were gospel. I got an item tonight and haven't the first two nights, that pretty surely kills a small select group. Ultrarune claims to have gotten the powder twice in a row, that puts a kink in pure random odds.

Let me stress this: WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WHO GETS THE ITEMS. Acting as if we do gets us nothing

And to further point out what should be obvious: WE HAVE NO REASON TO TRUST DUE. What does the village gain exactly by letting him call the shots on item use, gather all the info on who is getting what when, and who uses their items for what?

That WOULD be useful public information, but it hasn't been forthcoming. Yet another reason I don't trust DUE. I'm not saying he's necessarily a baddy, but I haven't seen a thing he's done that wouldn't be well played as a baddy.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ??

Are you saying we have confirmed zombies?

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Except phallas are lost when people stop thinking and just treat "I believe this" as if it were gospel..

I stopped reading right there because that is what Spectres entire argument as a villager against the item plan has been based on.

And no Bird, i'm saying that whatever killed Shamus is probably going to kill me tonight.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    And no Bird, i'm saying that whatever killed Shamus is probably going to kill me tonight.
    His body is slumped at an awkward angle and it looks as though he may fall off of the straw cushion at any moment. Bringing the lantern higher, they groan in unison as they see the raw red mark on his neck and notice the blue tint to Shamus’ lips.

Seems like the Anaconda Survival Guide would be more apt.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Except phallas are lost when people stop thinking and just treat "I believe this" as if it were gospel.

I disagree with this. I've seen many phallas won by people forming a theory and going by it. Even if you don't have 100% of the facts, making a theory and enacting it is better than paralyzed indecision in my experience.
    I got an item tonight and haven't the first two nights, that pretty surely kills a small select group.

How do you figure? Purely hypothetically, say there are 10 "monkey people" and 6 items. I have no problem believing you didn't receive any item day 2 or 3.
    Ultrarune claims to have gotten the powder twice in a row, that puts a kink in pure random odds.
    Maybe you don't understand statistics, but it puts NO such kink into the RNG theory. I used it as proof of items not being able to fall in bad guys hands because LaOs grasps statistics as well, and knows such outliers are possible, and wouldn't let them happen in his game.
    Let me stress this: WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WHO GETS THE ITEMS. Acting as if we do gets us nothing.

Acting as if we don't know anything about them gets us nothing as well.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Red Bird wrote: »
    His body is slumped at an awkward angle and it looks as though he may fall off of the straw cushion at any moment. Bringing the lantern higher, they groan in unison as they see the raw red mark on his neck and notice the blue tint to Shamus’ lips.

Seems like the Anaconda Survival Guide would be more apt.

Sorry. Rage. The undead whatever that Shamus mentioned that killed Satan.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Except phallas are lost when people stop thinking and just treat "I believe this" as if it were gospel..

I stopped reading right there because I'm an idiot.

Hippy's right, and you refusing to read it doesn't change that fact.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Richy wrote: »

I stopped reading right there because I'm an idiot.

Hippy's right, and you refusing to read it doesn't change that fact.

If he's right in regard to my argument then i'm right in regard to the argument that those who are against the item theory are putting forth. Beyond your grasp?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

If this is really what you think, why exactly are we wasting time throwing down? If you think what you've done has been productive and in the villages best interests, do something with the time you have left. Info dump anything useful, something.

Though I'd bet money you aren't going to die. Your network is almost certainly compromised, and the baddies have no reason to take out the central figure in a divisive internal fight (if you're even on our side in the first place).

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If he's right in regard to my argument then i'm right in regard to the argument that those who are against the item theory are putting forth. Beyond your grasp?
    The only thing beyond my grasp is how you managed to convince yourself that such poor logic and incoherent arguments were some kind of brilliant revelation.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008

If this is really what you think, why exactly are we wasting time throwing down? If you think what you've done has been productive and in the villages best interests, do something with the time you have left. Info dump anything useful, something.

Though I'd bet money you aren't going to die. Your network is almost certainly compromised, and the baddies have no reason to take out the central figure in a divisive internal fight (if you're even on our side in the first place).

I only refuted one of your arguments with sound logic. Unfortunately it's the same logic you were attempting to use to debunk one of my ideas. I am entirely willing to continue to throw down.

With that in mind how could my network be compromised? I've already addressed this and you should have read it. Basically the only person that can be harmed with this network is me. I relay the information between parties. There is no proboard. There is nothing to compromise. If a bad guy acquires an item and is willing to come to me with the item then we have gained an advantage. If the person with the item acts in anyway other than what would be best for the village then we've discovered a target. All they can do is kill me.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Night 4

The stone table, matching the playing pieces to a certain degree, was less crowded than the day before. Uil, as expected, had not returned from the night before, and Luko spent much of the day walking around the table rather than sitting at it, so the others were free to spread out, being sure to stay well away from the dark Twins. The Gods were on edge, and though the coloured figures continued to move about the table, they did not long remain the focus of the Gods’ attention.

What’s the matter, Monkey? Are you worried about your precious humans? Having had enough of Luko’s pacing, Artol stood and blocked the Monkey’s path. Ha! I could never understand your love for the creatures. They are far too dimwitted for me to waste my time with. However, he continued, turning to face his brother, I do think it will be fitting to have our chosen humans crown us victorious, don’t you, brother?

All of those humans down there are capable of things you cannot imagine, Raven. I have done what I can for them and now will watch as they spoil your plans. I have never cared for you much, Artol, but it has been my pleasure to be the stick in your craw. Finally stepping around Artol, Luko finds an empty stool at the table and sits to watch the stones.

Motioning for his brother, Elsaan announces, It is time; they are starting.

The stones, finished positioning themselves, are set and ready for battle. The Gods are well-familiar with this routine by now and watch in silence as the figures take their actions. Everything proceeds as expected until the end.

Partway through the final scuffle, Mewin rose to her feet and began whispering to herself: This cannot be. It will not work. It must not work… But, before she could finish, the battled ended and Mewin was left wide-eyed and speechless.

Groaning, Luko hid his head in his hands, while Hin glared down at the Monkey. No one said a word until Mewin began to sob. They were small, dry sobs, and she was able to regain her composure quickly, but when she looked up, she saw the Snake smiling at her.

You! she screamed. I may be undone thanks to you and yours, but I do not see your brother or you celebrating for much longer. Remember that when I am gone.

Elsaan hissed while Mewin quickly fled the room. Looking over to his brother, Artol simply chuckled and raised an imaginary glass to the Snake. The Twins were well-pleased and decided to let it show.

The villagers, hitting their stride, focus on a single candidate and, for the most part, build an incredibly strong bandwagon against him. No one is surprised, then, when TehSpectre is taken away by the Shrine Officials for execution. Some refused to vote for him, but nearly everyone agreed that it was for the best.

Pleased with themselves, many of the villagers thought that their coming together for a single target for the vote was a sign that things were getting safer for them and their homes. Unfortunately, a number of them helped prove unquestionably that the dangers were still present.

A body is found lying face-down in the pond just before dusk, and though no one wants to touch it to turn it over, everyone can tell by the clothes that DasUberEdward has been killed. When his body is finally fished out of the water, it is clear that he was already dead when he was dragged to the pond—the raw red ring around his neck is enough proof of that.

Ultarune, with his empty eye sockets and haunting stare, is discovered among the tomatoes in the community garden. Unfortunately, his stomach and guts have been spilled all over the leafy plants, and although the fruit is largely unharmed, the villagers opt to throw out the plants after removing the dead man’s body.

Surprisingly, poor evilbob is found near the armoury lying near a pile of broken boards. His arms appear covered with defensive wounds and many splinters are found to have sliced into his skin, but the most disturbing part of his body is his neck. evilbob’s head is tilted backwards at an incredibly awkward angle and the blood-red mark that covers his neck accentuates the fact that it is clearly broken. The man’s eyes are incredibly dilated and wide and his mouth is frozen in an apparent scream of shock. Not wanting any children to have to witness the carnage of the scene, the Officers are quickly called and the area is cleaned up while evilbob's body is taken away.

Results:

Dead Players:
    TehSpectre
    evilbob
    DasUberEdward
    Ultarune

Roles Killed:
    Villager
    Snake
    Seer
    Villager

PMs should be out shortly.

LaOs on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well. Damn. D:

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    God dammit.

So there's no guardian item (or the person holding it didn't buy evilbob'a story).

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    God dammit.

So there's no guardian item (or the person holding it didn't buy evilbob'a story).

Incorrect, and I will explain why in a few minutes while I compose my post.

Short version, Shield doesn't work on Zombie kills.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Alright, the job for tomorrow is going to be sifting through Frosteey and TehSpectre's posts and seeing who they seemed to be in sync with.

I'm a little confused why the baddies wasted kills on DUE and Ultrarune though. Some attempt to give credit to the item theory they were pushing, or was that somehow actually getting somewhere?

werehippy on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dance, puppets, dance!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    God dammit.

Incorrect, and I will explain why in a few minutes while I compose my post.

Short version, Shield doesn't work on Zombie kills.

Hmmm. And it seems we can't stop the zombie kills either, since shamus' god hasn't come back.
    Also worth noting is no arrow kill tonight. Did someone not get it, or did they decide to hold back?

We have 24 players left, assume 3 on each of the baddy teams with 2 left for a total of 20 villagers/neutrals left. At the kill rate without the arrow we've got 4 more nights before we lose.

According to that back of the naplin math, the arrow can be used two more times before it makes the village lose a day sooner. Anyone who gets the arrow needs to keep that in mind. ONLY use it if you (and ideally the village as a whole) is sure we've got a good target to use it on.

edit: It seems like the gods each have on special associated with them, so the village should have two more specials (maybe one more if the monkey doesn't just use items for his specials) and a neutral special who may or may not be on our side.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No vigilante (i.e. arrow) kill tonight. evilbob seems to have had a violent dead like the one we associated to the undead yesterday. But weirder still:
    Oh and we protected evilbob tonight.
    And yet evilbob died. Maybe the protection they used doesn't work against the undead? Or given that we're also missing a vig kill, maybe both the shield and the arrow targeted the same person?

Or most likely, the network was infiltrated by bad guys. Ultarune said he was an item-bearer; maybe he had the arrow and the bad guys killed him to prevent him from using it. And they either had the guard item or convinced whoever had it to not guard evilbob.

At any rate, it seems evilbob really was the seer and TehSpectre really was seered as a serpent. So we got one, but we lost our seer. Thanks a lot DasUberEdward, your brilliant plans and your great network all but doomed the village.

Now what?

Well hopefully the network members will play this closer to the vest than DUE did, and won't trust blindly anyone who has an item. Hopefully some of them are experienced players, and will be able to go over the network list and pick out the good guys from the bad guys that infiltrated it. Pay attention to who had the guard item and why they didn't protect evilbob. And find out what happened to the arrow. Those are our only two leads for now.

EDIT: Oh I just saw Thetheroo's post about the shield not blocking zombie kills. I'll wait for the details then.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    oooooOOOOoooOOOooo
    Good luck village.

jose-mourinho280x390.jpg

Be champions!

oooOOooOooo

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Hmmm. And it seems we can't stop the zombie kills either, since shamus' god hasn't come back.
    Also worth noting is no arrow kill tonight. Did someone not get it, or did they decide to hold back?

We have 24 players left, assume 3 on each of the baddy teams with 2 left for a total of 20 villagers/neutrals left. At the kill rate without the arrow we've got 4 more nights before we lose.

According to that back of the naplin math, the arrow can be used two more times before it makes the village lose a day sooner. Anyone who gets the arrow needs to keep that in mind. ONLY use it if you (and ideally the village as a whole) is sure we've got a good target to use it on.

edit: It seems like the gods each have on special associated with them, so the village should have two more specials (maybe one more if the monkey doesn't just use items for his specials) and a neutral special who may or may not be on our side.
    Yeah, the undead are going to screw us. Without Shamus, without any way to detect or kill them, we can't defend ourselves against them.

But I can't believe there are undetectable, unstoppable entities in Phalla. There's got to be something we're overlooking. DUE mentioned there are six items. Maybe one of them can kill the undead? Or maybe Uil will simply return tomorrow?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dammit, I really wanted to be wrong about zombies.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    REVEAL TIME!!!!!

I didn't want to have to do this, but with DUE dead I should probably come forward. I have all the information DUE had in regards to who had items on Day's 2 and 3 and what those items were and did. I am saying this because if EVERYONE who has an item comes forward to me so we can better coordinate a defense. I have gotten 2 items over 2 days, and know of several other people who have done the same, lending some proof to the "only villagers can get items" theory. Considering one of the biggest opponents to this theory is a Snake, I think it has a little more credibility now. If I am killed by coming forward, I already have a backup in place who will take my place.

To prove this, if you have already received an item and had informed DUE of this I will PM you with details about what you got and who you used it on if I have that information.

About evilbob's death, tonight I used a Shield on him which should have protected him. Notice this passage,
    LaOs wrote: »
    Partway through the final scuffle, Mewin rose to her feet and began whispering to herself: This cannot be. It will not work. It must not work… But, before she could finish, the battled ended and Mewin was left wide-eyed and speechless.

Surprisingly, poor evilbob is found near the armoury lying near a pile of broken boards. His arms appear covered with defensive wounds and many splinters are found to have sliced into his skin, but the most disturbing part of his body is his neck. evilbob’s head is tilted backwards at an incredibly awkward angle and the blood-red mark that covers his neck accentuates the fact that it is clearly broken. The man’s eyes are incredibly dilated and wide and his mouth is frozen in an apparent scream of shock. Not wanting any children to have to witness the carnage of the scene, the Officers are quickly called and the area is cleaned up while evilbob's body is taken away.

Mewin seems surprised, I presume because I protected evilbob with the shield but he still died. Notice the splinters and defensive wounds in the narration. This means that zombies can bypass some defenses and we need to find defenses they cannot bypass. We may have screwed the pooch with Shamus getting killed

Once again, I ASK YOU TO PM ME IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED AN ITEM.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Yeah, the undead are going to screw us. Without Shamus, without any way to detect or kill them, we can't defend ourselves against them.

But I can't believe there are undetectable, unstoppable entities in Phalla. There's got to be something we're overlooking. DUE mentioned there are six items. Maybe one of them can kill the undead? Or maybe Uil will simply return tomorrow?

A dead-seer item has been mentioned a couple times, can't remember by who. Villager with the dead-seer item could potentially get lucky and hit on the zombie(s), and we vote them off.

edit: uhh assuming we can vote for someone already dead

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God damn it.

Shamus said something about how he was looking for the Syl Champion. He postulated that the "champion" was undead, but I seriously doubt that...it would mean that the game is lost the moment Shamus dies.

The champion is probably a mortal player, in which case I bet if we find him/her, we can stop the undead attacks.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    HilgerHilger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    People Frosteey has had disagreements with:
    durax
    mtvcdm
    DUE
    Toxic Toys
    Thetheroo
    El Skid

Hardly proof positive of their innocence, but a definite start.

Will edit after looking over again.

Hilger on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Attention:

Toxic Toys has graciously stepped down and bwanie will be replacing him.

duallain has been replaced due to inactivity; JPants will replace him.

All votes/actions/whatever for either Toxic Toys or duallain will now automatically be moved to bwanie and JPants.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hilger wrote: »
    People Frosteey has had disagreements with:

Hardly proof positive of their innocence, but a definite start.

Will edit after looking over again.

I would spend more time looking at people who agreed with Frosteey, either explicitly or by supporting the same ideas, than people who he had public disagreements. It's easy to fake fight over something stupid, working towards the same goal is more telling.

werehippy on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Interesting phalla, I look forward to getting into it!

Sadly, all the people who stuck out in my mind as suspicious have died, and the thread isn't loading for me anymore, so I'll have to revisit this when I come back in the morning.

JPants on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    People who claim to have received multiple items: DUE, Ultarune, Thetheroo.

I may be missing people, but my point is that if items are RNG'd through the whole village, this is extremely unlikely.

The items have to be circulating through a smaller group.

Also: welcome bwanie and JPants!

James on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd say !Richy was acting pretty suspicious.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, last night's deaths were a bit of a surprise, to say the least. My interweb is playing up - i've tried posting 3 times already today, since 7:45 a.m., hopefully this will work.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
This discussion has been closed.