Options

Trouble With Spyware

JMDeenJMDeen Registered User regular
I was wondering if anyone could help me. A friend of mine used my computer while I was gone and now there is an anti-spyware ad plastered over my background. I tried downloading Spyware Doctor and already have Avast! and I've ran both of them. I even tried running Spyware Doctor in safe mode but that still didn't work. Is there anything I can do or should I just take my computer to a repair shop and let them fix it. I'm not really that great with computers.

JMDeen on

• Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have used Spybot Search and Destroy in the past and it has proven to clean up some pretty messy computers for me. Other than that, you have listed several of the popular mentions for ad busting software already. Short of a complete system re-install, you may not have many options.

Personally, if you have the OS disc still, I would just re-install after backing up what you want to keep. It takes a bit, but it's a sure way to get rid of troublesome stuff like this. Just be sure to lecture your friend and make sure he doesn't do it again and let him know how much of a pain in the ass it is to reinstall an operating system.

Doomulon on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Spyware Doctor is lacking big time. Get Spybot, in the chance it doesn't finish the job for you give the 30 day trail of Webroot Spysweeper a try.

Dark Shroud on