As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Low FPS on WoW

ZythonZython Registered User regular
Ok, I'm having a weird problem with WoW, and I thought this would be the best place to post, since this is more general. Anyhow, I run a 12-inch G4 Powerbook, with a 1.5 GHz processor, 768 MB RAM, and a GeForce FX Go5200 (64 MB VRAM). I'm at the recommended for the processor and the video card, and half way between the minimum and the recommended for the RAM, but I'm regularly getting <10 FPS. What could be the problem. My latency is low, so it's not the internet connection. I have most of the in-game graphical settings set to the minimum, but nothing seems to help. My guess is that I may have some malware. If you think I'm right, could you recommend a Mac compatible malware detection/removal software. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
Steam: pazython
Zython on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2008
    That videocard is SORELY lacking for WoW as it stands right now.

Try running at a much lower resolution and see how that works for you.

My brand new Macbook Pro sometimes falls to 10FPS in Shatt.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    That videocard is SORELY lacking for WoW as it stands right now.

Try running at a much lower resolution and see how that works for you.

My brand new Macbook Pro sometimes falls to 10FPS in Shatt.

On WoW or the computer itself?

Edit: I tried lowering the resolution of the computer, as WoW's won't go any lower. No visible change.

Zython on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    Shattrath eats computers alive. I blame the billion squidface NPCs with their psychotic giggling.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Shattrath eats computers alive. I blame the billion squidface NPCs with their psychotic giggling.

I don't mind Shattrath. It's low frame rates at 25-mans that worry me.

Zython on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zython wrote: »

It'll get to be the same thing, really. God bless the lower raid cap, 25-mans are a lot easier on my computer than 40s. For raiding, be sure to turn spell effects allll the way down as once they get flying it'll really chug.

WoW may be built with an eye for less powerful computers, but that graphics card is too underpowered even for WoW.

I have a 1.8ghz processor, 512mb ram, and a 256mb radeon 9550 pro, in unpopulated areas with everything down (sometimes I have texture detail up for the pretties) I average high-teens low-twenties fps, in places like shattrath its single digits.

Arrath on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    ...turn spell effects allll the way down as once they get flying it'll really chug.

This question was much more specific in the WoW thread, but this is not an option on the encounter he specified over there.

Sadly, the only option is probably a hardware upgrade. I'm not an Apple man myself, but maybe someone else can point you in the proper direction. WoW is made to run on an Atari, but that doesn't mean it will run well.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

It'll get to be the same thing, really. God bless the lower raid cap, 25-mans are a lot easier on my computer than 40s. For raiding, be sure to turn spell effects allll the way down as once they get flying it'll really chug.

WoW may be built with an eye for less powerful computers, but that graphics card is too underpowered even for WoW.

I have a 1.8ghz processor, 512mb ram, and a 256mb radeon 9550 pro, in unpopulated areas with everything down (sometimes I have texture detail up for the pretties) I average high-teens low-twenties fps, in places like shattrath its single digits.

About the video card. I'm sure it's outdated, but the box of BC recommends 64 MB VRAM, which I have. I was hoping for a more practical solution other than replacing my computer, but if that's the only option...

Edit: Maybe this is a sign I should invest in a desktop PC...

Edit 2: Crip, even with my spell details lowered, it doesn't help alot.

Zython on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Video RAM is unfortunately often the most useless piece of information to go off of when judging the worth of a card. ATI and nVidia are strongly at fault, their naming systems are designed to confuse and obfuscate.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Video RAM is unfortunately often the most useless piece of information to go off of when judging the worth of a card. ATI and nVidia are strongly at fault, their naming systems are designed to confuse and obfuscate.

Interesting. I guess I could end up investing in a desktop. Not just for WoW, but a Pentium Mac could open up my options to PC gaming in general.

Zython on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes, if there was such a thing as a Pentium Mac you could buy one :)

Also, check you have no errant processes in the background - indeed, quit everything while you play to free up the RAM.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Doesn't sound like anythings really wrong just that you have an older laptop. My current laptop is pretty long in the tooth and the frame rate is awful even at the lowest settings (more so in towns) and its running a ATI 9200.

If your not planning to move away from the Mac I'd go with a Macbook Pro (normal macbook has intel graphics yuck) or one of the new iMacs for gaming.

powersurge on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The current iMacs are fucking swish, man.

But personally I'm going for the new MBP soon as there's a new model.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do you have "Smooth Mouse" enabled in graphics options? If so, turn that shit right off. That should really give you a big FPS boost.

Tav on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yep, you're getting normal framerates for your machine.

It doesn't really matter what the specs on the box say.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Get more ram. That's more important for you than the video card right now.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally I believe the X86 version of WoW just runs better. I have a Powermac Dual G5 with 8GB of RAM and a 7800Gs and I get lower tens regarding FPS in the main city of the Outlands. Granted I use a unsupported / modified 7800 GS with 256MB vRAM, so take my word with a huge load of salt. My 4 year old shuttle (Backup-PC) with moderate 1GB, 3GHz Athlon and 7600 GT gets around 30 fps. At least there is a Powermac version, so I can log on and check the AH without having to start up my gaming PC.

The G4 is the bottom of the barrel regarding system requirements of WoW. If you are considering playing WoW on an Apple notebook I would also recommend the Macbook pro. Macbook air and the Macbook use Intel integrated graphic chipsets which sucks balls gaming wise.

edit: Turning of the illumination shader effects improve FPS on the Mac (PowerPC) version.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So how would a computer with the following specs perform? Not just for WoW, but PC gaming in general.

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

Would you recommend more RAM? (I can go to 2GB if necessary).

Zython on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Another stick of RAM would probably do you good, your motherboard probably supports dual channeling so you'll want to try to match exactly.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Another stick of RAM would probably do you good, your motherboard probably supports dual channeling so you'll want to try to match exactly.

A few things:

1. This is an iMac I'm thinking of buying.

2. According to Crucial, it doesn't support dual channeling.

And yeah, I'll probably add another 1GB RAM stick to it, since Apple overcharges for RAM.

Zython on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hm, the macbook pro already comes with 8600. The ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory is the bottleneck and very lowed. According to some reviews I read it seems to have the same performance as a Geforce 6600 which is already several years old. Despite the directx10 compatibility don't consider using any of these features, because you most likely end up in the single digits - FSP wise.

If you go Desktop -> spend a few bucks more on on a low end 8800 - if you can get it for cheap. If you want to use a laptop the choice is rather limited. Go for a 8600 graphic card, this seems to be the good middle ground between performance and price. Sorry, I can't give you a good overview regarding the ATI performance and best "bang for the buck" opportunities.

Edit: Ah to late. - I just wonder why Apple replaced the 8600 in the iMac line? Probably to save the moneys.

Dratatoo on