As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legions (aka Tribes 4): Open Beta Tomorrow!

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    oh man. i am totally all over this shit. i get internet again today and i will spooge all night for dynamix

edit: also i loved MA discing people, so many people would complain about hacking and all that shit, pure skill baby.

seriously i almost orgasmed in the middle of my office when i found out about this.

i've been a bad dynamix disciple

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Activex? Oh well guess I won't be playing this one.

Oh there is a FF plugin!

theantipop on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Angry wrote: »
    exoplasm wrote: »
    I signed up for the beta, but I still have a bad taste from Tribes 2.

To this day I have never been able to play it after the first time I installed it on launch day.

did.. you ever try past your install on launch day? because 2 months after launch pretty much every bug was worked out through patches.

Once a year I re-discover my Tribes 2 disc and install the game. One of two things happens:

a) Cannot patch. No matter what I do, the patches do not work. This has been on 4 or 5 different computers by now.

b) If I somehow got the game to a point where it will be current and connected, it cannot find my account or CD key in the database. This really makes it hard to play since you have to log in to play.

End result: I have not been able to play this game since ever.

The Sierra Online patching thing has been bugged since forever - you have to find the shortcut that goes straight to tribes2.exe and add -online to the command line.

I don't know about not finding your account.

august on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think these are the steps...

(remember you need to patch the game to the latest/newest version patch first by downloading it off filefront or any other place)
    1. locate your tribes2 online shortcut
    2. right click on said shortcut
    3. select properties
    4. select shortcut tab (if not already selected)
    5. locate target field
    6. change C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe
    to C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\Tribes2.exe -online
    7. press OK

(optionally, after the -online you can also and -nopure -login accountname password which will log you in automatically)

Not sure if it'll work now, since it's been a year or two since I've installed the game.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    This is fucking beta software, it just got out of alpha, they just confirmed that they can make a map that you don't fall through.

There will be deployables, there will be turbogravs, there will be generators, the lights will actually turn out this time, there will be mines, there will be turrets, there will be ranking and clans.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was in the closed beta for this. I love the gameplay. Jetpacking is done differently now. Holding down the right mouse button gives you a general speed boost while moving around on the battlefield which is unlimited. To use the jetpack you have to jump and then hold spacebar and the right mouse button. It takes a little getting used to, but I like it better. My biggest complaint is that (as far as I can tell) you cannot go full screen.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is fucking beta software, it just got out of alpha, they just confirmed that they can make a map that you don't fall through.

You fuckers hould be thanking them for going out of their way to give you this shit, they know everything that is wrong, and just wanted some extra testerss so they could get it done quicker.

I'm amazed you don't do PR for a living.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    SammyF wrote: »

You fuckers hould be thanking them for going out of their way to give you this shit, they know everything that is wrong, and just wanted some extra testerss so they could get it done quicker.

I'm amazed you don't do PR for a living.

1.I do.

2.I'm drunk.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    YardGnome wrote: »
    I was in the closed beta for this. I love the gameplay. Jetpacking is done differently now. Holding down the right mouse button gives you a general speed boost while moving around on the battlefield which is unlimited. To use the jetpack you have to jump and then hold spacebar and the right mouse button. It takes a little getting used to, but I like it better. My biggest complaint is that (as far as I can tell) you cannot go full screen.

Click Fullscreen in the ESC options menu.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    no firefox 3? lameeeeeeee. also, for no reason at all, it won't let me use safari.

Box on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It doesn't work with firefox 3? Damnit this browser is giving me too much trouble.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Opera.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Opera.

I think the server is down, because it doesn't work in opera either.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FF3 worked last night just fine, fyi.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm in! I go by the same name in the game.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FF3 seems to work fine. FF2 crashed during registration. Didn't try Opera as it doesn't play with Flash nicely sometimes.

In as 9mmBullet.

[edit]I believe the servers are dying under strain. I can't even get to the main page.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wtf, it disconnected me then said the server was full.

Got to test the movement by myself, seems really fun, if I do it right I can cross from one base to another in about 4 seconds.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Their webpage gives me faults all the time. I can't even register, which is too bad since I would've loved to give this a try. I think Tribes 2 was maybe my best FPS experience, ever.

Zilart on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Their servers definitely aren't up to the load this beta is putting on them.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They didn't accurately estimate the number of people who still want to play Tribes.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No kidding.

"We're sorry, but we have reached our capacity for concurrent users. Please try again later."

And I was looking forward to playing this at work today. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Have we gotten to the part where a good amount of tribes fans are terrible, terrible excuses for human beings yet?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Have we gotten to the part where a good amount of tribes fans are terrible, terrible excuses for human beings yet?
    What? I don't remember the community of Tribes 2 to be any bad to be honest.

Zilart on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zilart wrote: »
    That's because Tribes fans didn't play Tribes 2 :P

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Click this thing to join my party

For some reason no games show up when I try to join something.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zilart wrote: »
    That's because Tribes fans didn't play Tribes 2 :P

Is it too late to apologize for all those shock-lancing on the heavy transport mid flight? :|

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well crap, I can't play this at work. I didn't even think about these computers having integrated graphics. :D Guess I'll just have to wait till I get home to play then.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This game... this game.

Is awesome. Sooooo awesome!

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game... this game.

Is awesome. Sooooo awesome!

I agree. If you were looking for classic Tribes action (packs, deployables, vehicles) you'll be disappointed, but if you want some high-speed aerial combat it's a blast.

In the beta as BlueDestiny.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wow, how did I not know about this???

Sol on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Opera.

the site says no version of Opera works. who uses Opera anyway?

Box on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Shazbot!

This game is ok but it needs more 16 player CTF servers, real chain gun, mortar, real grenade launcher, real disc launcher and vehicles would be cool too, and the skiing seems gimped in this unless I just don't understand how it works.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    GOD DAMN IT, NO FUCKING OS X BROWSERS WORK! FIREFOX 3 WILL NOT WORK AND FUCKING SAFARI WON'T WORK JHSDBHJSFHBDFHBDGBHF

it even says Safari works, but if you try, "FUCK YOU," it says. "SUCK MY DICK."

Box on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope Legions isn't stuck to this shitty browser system forever. Cause their website sucks balls and doesn't work half the time.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Shazbot!

This game is ok but it needs more 16 player CTF servers, real chain gun, mortar, real grenade launcher, real disc launcher and vehicles would be cool too, and the skiing seems gimped in this unless I just don't understand how it works.

Skiiing is actually faster.

When you hold right mouse, you turn on your jets which allows you to glide (sort of like holding jump used to be)

While gliding, if you hold shift you boost down, when going down a hill it speeds you up a hell of a lot.

While gliding if you jump (spacebar) it jets you up.

So at the top of a hill you want to right mouse + shift going down to pick up speed, then you hit a flat area, let go of shift and zip along, then hit space when you hit a hill to ramp off of and let go when you're lined up for another downhill. Hold right mouse the entire time.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shazbot!

What do you mean by real chain gun? One that isn't hitscan? In any case, the rocket launcher is functionally the exact same thing as a spinfusor. I would like to see some vehicles though, perhaps a floating fortress sort of thing with turrets and stuff.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shazbot!

What do you mean by real chain gun? One that isn't hitscan? In any case, the rocket launcher is functionally the exact same thing as a spinfusor. I would like to see some vehicles though, perhaps a floating fortress sort of thing with turrets and stuff.
    The rocket launcher is the same but I like the blue discs :( that and sometimes they blow up mid air for the class special and I am not too sure how to control it. Also the chaingun seems to drain energy or something and its really really hard to hit anything.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do the rockets target people and go after them or something? Mine make beeping noises and the crosshair changes sometimes.

uberneko on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    After playing a couple of games, this actually seems pretty solid. I think it'd make a wonderful XBLA release.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    uberneko wrote: »
    Do the rockets target people and go after them or something? Mine make beeping noises and the crosshair changes sometimes.
    No if you hold click when you fire and then click again it blows up.

Fizban140 on