As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World Bluth Day 2008

• Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Season 3 did have the Mole vs. Jetpack boy.

The Rita arc went on for far too long though. The only good thing about it was the conclusion (that's not my trick, Michael...) and Charlize Theron. So beautiful.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ok, I'll do it.

Arrested Development had a reason it was cancelled. Near the end of the show, the characters all stopped being actual characters, and they became a single personality. They lost their humanity and became jokes. The crazy husband, the insane brother, etc etc. It stopped being interesting. It really did take a downturn.

they were being canceled and knew it, as has been mentioned, but also important... this happens with every show. not always that fast, I'll admit, but it's how TV goes. there are rare times where this isn't the case, but most every show I've watched enough of to see how characters develop works this way.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yakul wrote: »
    Season 3 is just as good as the other two. You are crazy

the 2nd through maybe 6th or seventh are no doubt weaker than the rest of the series. they pick it back up, starting with the "I'm not going underwater" episode, which I believe was after a few weeks break when we knew how much time they had left and therefor they probably felt more comfortable moving the plot along and writing however they wanted.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that Anne is Annabelle because she's shaped like a...

She's the belle of the ball!

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    I've learned how a chicken really acts

and where to store a glass of whisky if you have a pool table

You also have to finish a bottle of Vodka by the day after it's opened or it will go bad.
    No that's just another one of mother's myths

Janson on
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Re: No one watching the show

FOX moved the show around to different time slots so much that no one could follow when it was on. Eventually it ended up on Friday nigts at like 7:30pm (the graveyard slot) so its no surprise that it got cancelled.

In FOX's mind, they figured that because no one was watching the show, it wouldn't be a big deal to move it around. Its just a matter as deciding if the contant moving was the effect of no one watching, or the cause of no one watching.

Also, FOX gambled and put their money and advertising into other shows. Watch the first episode of Family Guy after the 3-4 year break and at the beginning, they do a gag where they are like "We're cancelled guys. The only way we can come back is if the following shows fail..." and then they have a crawl of all the shows cancelled within the past few years. FOX invested money into those shows instead of keeping AD afloat.

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I also learned that I need to put both my problems and my parties...on Ice

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned its really cute when girls eat hardboiled eggs by putting them and some mayonnaise i ntheir mouth and just kind of...mooshing them up.

Her?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've learned that the drowsy eye symbol on my pill bottle is not a winky eye alcohol suggestion.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bedigumx wrote: »
    Also, FOX gambled and put their money and advertising into other shows. Watch the first episode of Family Guy after the 3-4 year break and at the beginning, they do a gag where they are like "We're cancelled guys. The only way we can come back is if the following shows fail..." and then they have a crawl of all the shows cancelled within the past few years. FOX invested money into those shows instead of keeping AD afloat.
    I thought the joke there was that they were all the shows that FOX has killed, especially since he mentioned Firefly.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    I thought the joke there was that they were all the shows that FOX has killed, especially since he mentioned Firefly.

But think about how these shows were cancelled. From the ones I caught from the sped up scroll, most of them were good shows, but were shuffled around so much that no one knew when to watch them.

I guess I should clarify that FOX didn't completely abandon AD for these other shows, but rather FOX has no idea how to promote a good show, and AD fell victim to that. Show gets shitty ratings (due to FOX's methods of promotion), FOX more or less gives up. FOX spends money on new show.

Firefly, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Titus, Arrested Development. All shows that were great for casual viewers, but had a strong cult following as well.

Instead, FOX pumps money into The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, American Idol, and 24. Understandable for the last 2 because they bring in a demographic that FOX never had before.

But the first 3 just need to die already.

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that you can wear stripper clothes when you're not stripping.

I also learned that in order to get the bottom for Army clothes right, the top has to be a little tight.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

But think about how these shows were cancelled. From the ones I caught from the sped up scroll, most of them were good shows, but were shuffled around so much that no one knew when to watch them.

I guess I should clarify that FOX didn't completely abandon AD for these other shows, but rather FOX has no idea how to promote a good show, and AD fell victim to that. Show gets shitty ratings (due to FOX's methods of promotion), FOX more or less gives up. FOX spends money on new show.

Firefly, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Titus, Arrested Development. All shows that were great for casual viewers, but had a strong cult following as well.

Instead, FOX pumps money into The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, American Idol, and 24. Understandable for the last 2 because they bring in a demographic that FOX never had before.

What's wrong with American Dad? Frankly, it's the best of the four animated shows at this point.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learnt that nothing goes better with chicken than chicken.

I also learnt that I don't have enough RAM to cry.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didn't learn what the return policy on a dove was.

edit: I did, however, learn that the sea is from whence it came.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

What's wrong with American Dad? Frankly, it's the best of the four animated shows at this point.

The ridiculous amount of thinly veiled political messages*, the blatent rip off of Family Guy (a show thats, in my opinion, not creative enough in the first place to be ripped off), the 1-dimensional characters? Granted I've only seen about 3 or 4 episodes, but its terrible from what I've seen.

*Political humor can be funny if it was well written (See Colbert and Stewart). When its simple pot shots at whatever the writers feel like attacking that week, then it becomes terribly written comedy and insulting to the viewers.

**I guess I should stress that even the political messages in AD weren't that funny. But the show never attempted to revolve around that.

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    American Dad is not a ripoff of family guy, it is a show made by the same people.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I know that but when both sets of characters are pretty much mirror images of one another (ie, talkin pet, smart ass baby/alien, daughter distrusted and alienated by family, socially inept son), wouldn't you call it a ripoff?

Like I said, I'm basing my opinions of American Dad off of the few episodes I saw and general consensus of people who watch the show from time to time. Based on that, I don't see any redeeming qualities that warrant the show to remain on the air, while arguably better shows get the axe for whatever reasons.

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that during a divorce if her name is Amy, then I'll call her Blamey is a strong defence.

NB. Her name IRL is Amy.
    PENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUSPENUS

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dammit Apotheosis, I was going to say I learned that penis is really spelled PENUS. Well I still learned it, so there.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that seals can develope a taste for mammal flesh

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that I'm a monnnstar.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that singing afternoon delight with your niece is not as wholesome as I thought it was.

Edit- I also learned that sometimes I can be such a judge reinhold.

Man, I seriously fucking love that particular line. I use it at least once a day.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know that but when both sets of characters are pretty much mirror images of one another (ie, talkin pet, smart ass baby/alien, daughter distrusted and alienated by family, socially inept son), wouldn't you call it a ripoff?

Like I said, I'm basing my opinions of American Dad off of the few episodes I saw and general consensus of people who watch the show from time to time. Based on that, I don't see any redeeming qualities that warrant the show to remain on the air, while arguably better shows get the axe for whatever reasons.

You might want to give it another chance. It started out as a ripoff of Family Guy, but midway through Season 1 it started to evolve into another, much better show. It really feels more like the good years of the Simpsons, or at least a non-cutaway version of Family Guy before they made all the characters unlikeable. Besides, their best episodes aren't remotely political anymore; they're just as likely to be about time-travel, Divinci Code parodies, weird government/alien technology, or Stan's odd obsessions like ice-skating or buried treasure.

But I degress. Back to the other Fox show with the AD initials.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that I know nothing about marriage because my wife is dead.

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned how to get to the Gothic Castle.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I learned that she was a darer, and I needed a dare!

edit: now with a picture!

daressm0.gif

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You might want to give it another chance. It started out as a ripoff of Family Guy, but midway through Season 1 it started to evolve into another, much better show. It really feels more like the good years of the Simpsons, or at least a non-cutaway version of Family Guy before they made all the characters unlikeable. Besides, their best episodes aren't remotely political anymore; they're just as likely to be about time-travel, Divinci Code parodies, weird government/alien technology, or Stan's odd obsessions like ice-skating or buried treasure.

Firefly and Arrested Development are not arguably better. At least in my opinion.

Though I really did like the figure skating episode of American Dad. The Elements of Style as a book on type narrated by (that guy I can't remember with the soothing voice was awesome.)

EDIT: I don't know if I mean it the way that reads. Maybe they are arguably better because it's an easy argument to win? Though it would be a hard argument to start I think. Not many people familiar with all the shows would try and take the other side.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Firefly and Arrested Development are not arguably better. At least in my opinion.

Though I really did like the figure skating episode of American Dad. The Elements of Style as a book on type narrated by (that guy I can't remember with the soothing voice was awesome.)

EDIT: I don't know if I mean it the way that reads. Maybe they are arguably better because it's an easy argument to win? Though it would be a hard argument to start I think. Not many people familiar with all the shows would try and take the other side.

I think I used the word "arguably" because I didn't want to make a definitive statement that X is greater than Y. Personally, I feel that FF and Arrested Development are better than American Dad, but that opinion is by no means the only one, and I didn't want to accidently open up a can of worms by claiming that and having someone get pissed and start posts which would ruin World Bluth Day 2008.

Not that anyone has so I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Also, perhaps I'll try and catch an episode or two on Hulu or something when I have some free time.

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    This is too serious. GOB, mosey on over here and show us some illusions!

(offstage) Sure thing, guy!

gobswaggergg9.gif

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's someone around here with an awesome sig with Buster in an amusement park style photo mantage involving him and a sheep, was that on the show? if so which ep so I can go ahead and queue it up on hulu

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    There's someone around here with an awesome sig with Buster in an amusement park style photo mantage involving him and a sheep, was that on the show? if so which ep so I can go ahead and queue it up on hulu
    The episode is Staff Infection, from the first season.

( p. s. I love GOB's strut, I could watch it all day )

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh, and I learned that I'm not ready to have pop-pop.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My sister has a sweatshirt from the Blue Man Group show in Munich, and everytime she wears it to the gym, female instructors ask her whether she is an Arrested Development fan. This is a partial explanation for why I now show up at her gym wearing girls clothing.

I also learned that HELLO!

Low Key on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that ITS A FIRE...sale.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that Portugal is down old South America way.

xiears on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned that my sister and I finish each others... sandwiches.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, I forgot that I was in the colonies!

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Stop licking my hand you horse's ass!

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've learned that TBA is a serious disease.
    Also:

If it means me taking a chubby, I will suck it up.

Hybrid on