As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moral Questions

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The ones where it's save the one or save the many are only acceptable when the situation provides no choice for those who may live or die but the choice will make itself due to inaction on your part.

Redirecting the train is damage minimization. Throwing someone else onto the tracks is immoral.

that's what I thought when I read it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty clear that you're being asked to judge the actions as an omnipotent third person. I mean, it wasn't "would you have sex with your sister," which would make that one a pretty different question.

And yeah, of course it's a setup. OP pretty much admits that at the beginning. It's like "here, walk into my beartrap, cause the results are sort of interesting!"
    Shouldn't the study then be phrased as, "which of the two outcomes do you perceive as more moral?" That sidesteps all of the loaded/assumptive question issues, doesn't it? Though to be fair I seem to be the only one who perceived this as ambiguous, so whatever. I guess I'm just not used to being asked to judge things omnipotently. @_@

I'm not sure what assumptions you think are being made. He introduced them as dilemmas, which I've generally understood to be abstract A/B questions.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Really the first question just pisses me off. It has nothing to do with morality at all.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    The ones where it's save the one or save the many are only acceptable when the situation provides no choice for those who may live or die but the choice will make itself due to inaction on your part.

Redirecting the train is damage minimization. Throwing someone else onto the tracks is immoral.

I didn't see any difference. Either way that one dude is going to die when he otherwise wouldn't have, or else five people are going to die.

Speaker on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My god, you are the most distrustful people I've ever met. There's no damn "gotcha". I'm not doing this to deliver my judgment on all of your morals. I just thought it was a cool study and I wanted to try replicating it. One second and I'll give you the analysis.

EDIT:
    Also, the "correct" reaction is to give your gut reaction. But I don't mind a discussion between what you think is moral from a logical manner and how this may or may not differ from your gut reaction.
    People are mistrustful anytime they're lead down a path to two crappy choices, because reality is always that people look for and usually find a third option. Because that is what you would do in any remotely realistic situation - the people involved are not actors to make a point, they're sentient human beings capable reacting to stimuli and making their own decisions - so 5 people stuck on a railway track with steep sides seem unlikely to just stand their waiting for a crisis. Why can't they work together to climb out? How do I know a fat guy would stop a train (in fact I'd think the opposite - he wouldn't). Which is, again, a crucial point - the "one or many" only ever makes sense when the problem is being solved in absolutes which is never how reality works - you have no way of knowing the fat guy would stop a train, in fact it would seem pretty damn unlikely at the time.

You also have no way of knowing that say, the train driver isn't going to slam on the breaks and have it work, yet we have to assume we'll probably kill the fat guy from the fall since clearly we can't get down by the tracks to help pull the people out.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Really the first question just pisses me off. It has nothing to do with morality at all.

I think it deals with social norms as opposed to ethics.

enc0re on
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    ReaperSMS wrote: »
    There's contrived, and there's completely nonsensical things. 500 pound dude isn't going to do squat to stop a speeding 3 ton passenger laden vehicle.

Come on.

Seriously?

Seriously. They're usually the size of busses.

That said, I agree with the other fellow. If Frank wants to stop the trolley, he can jump in himself if he feels that strongly about it.

#2 is somewhat different, as the conductor can't exactly walk away.

ReaperSMS on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty clear that you're being asked to judge the actions as an omnipotent third person. I mean, it wasn't "would you have sex with your sister," which would make that one a pretty different question.

And yeah, of course it's a setup. OP pretty much admits that at the beginning. It's like "here, walk into my beartrap, cause the results are sort of interesting!"
    Shouldn't the study then be phrased as, "which of the two outcomes do you perceive as more moral?" That sidesteps all of the loaded/assumptive question issues, doesn't it? Though to be fair I seem to be the only one who perceived this as ambiguous, so whatever. I guess I'm just not used to being asked to judge things omnipotently. @_@

I'm not sure what assumptions you think are being made. He introduced them as dilemmas, which I've generally understood to be abstract A/B questions.
    Yeah, I guess it's just a cognitive disconnect for me. When someone asks me to judge a dilemma, I try and judge the dilemma itself. For some reason, I find this irreconcilably removed from the concept of "judging each outcome of each dilemma against the other."

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Nothing to do with your morality.

But say, a religious person who believes in an inherent moral order to the universe that precludes sex with your sibling would disagree.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I didn't see any difference. Either way that one dude is going to die when he otherwise wouldn't have, or else five people are going to die.

I realize that, I don't know taht I could explain it all that well.

One feels more like murder.

Variable on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    what if the hiker that's by himself is hitler

Doc on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My god, you are the most distrustful people I've ever met. There's no damn "gotcha". I'm not doing this to deliver my judgment on all of your morals. I just thought it was a cool study and I wanted to try replicating it. One second and I'll give you the analysis.

EDIT:
    Also, the "correct" reaction is to give your gut reaction. But I don't mind a discussion between what you think is moral from a logical manner and how this may or may not differ from your gut reaction.
    People are mistrustful anytime they're lead down a path to two crappy choices, because reality is always that people look for and usually find a third option. Because that is what you would do in any remotely realistic situation - the people involved are not actors to make a point, they're sentient human beings capable reacting to stimuli and making their own decisions - so 5 people stuck on a railway track with steep sides seem unlikely to just stand their waiting for a crisis. Why can't they work together to climb out? How do I know a fat guy would stop a train (in fact I'd think the opposite - he wouldn't). Which is, again, a crucial point - the "one or many" only ever makes sense when the problem is being solved in absolutes which is never how reality works - you have no way of knowing the fat guy would stop a train, in fact it would seem pretty damn unlikely at the time.

You also have no way of knowing that say, the train driver isn't going to slam on the breaks and have it work, yet we have to assume we'll probably kill the fat guy from the fall since clearly we can't get down by the tracks to help pull the people out.

holy fuck this is an obvious, contrived, abstract exercise. just. play. along. You people are worse than the kids in the ethical reasoning 102 section I made the mistake of taking in undergrad.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One second and I'll give you the analysis.

Spit it out. I want to go to bed.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    There's contrived, and there's completely nonsensical things. 500 pound dude isn't going to do squat to stop a speeding 3 ton passenger laden vehicle.

Come on.

Seriously?

Seriously. They're usually the size of busses.

You're like the kid who objects to the word problems in algebra books.

No one cares if you don't care how tall the tree is and if you did you wouldn't measure it by its shadow. Reduce it down to x and y and get on with it.

Speaker on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Every single moral dilemma thread in D&D goes this way. It's the nature of the demographic.

A football team made up of ex-managers would all complain about the tactics they were assigned for the game.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The fat guy can choose for himself whether the sacrifice is worth it. The single tourist on the railroad tracks could not choose whether he wanted to save those people, but he is still capable of getting out of harms way whereas the 5 tourists are apparently not.

Of course there's also the fact that it's much easier for 1 person to jump out of the way at the last minute then a group of 5 who will be blocking each other.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Doc wrote: »

What if the train is actually the titanic.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'd have no fucking complaints if the OP had phrased it right instead of telling me to "judge" and then matter-of-factly stating four things. You could remove all of the ambiguity by saying "the situations are inflexible and there are only two outcomes. Which of the two do you perceive as more moral?" instead of this fucking "JUDGE THESE DILEMMAS, MY COMRADES" hogwash.

EDIT: Well, then again, all it does is open it up to the predations of Podly and others who will pounce on the words 'perceive' and 'more.'

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The fat guy can choose for himself whether the sacrifice is worth it. The single tourist on the railroad tracks could not choose whether he wanted to save those people, but he is still capable of getting out of harms way whereas the 5 tourists are apparently not.

Of course there's also the fact that it's much easier for 1 person to jump out of the way at the last minute then a group of 5 who will be blocking each other.

yeah but you're clearly meant to be deciding between killing 1 and killing 5, so survival possibility doesn't really matter.

Variable on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

But say, a religious person who believes in an inherent moral order to the universe that precludes sex with your sibling would disagree.

Then ask that question. Don't try to hide it behind some kind of contrived, shocking scenario designed to elicit visceral unease. My "gut" as someone who was raised Catholic doesn't like the idea, but my sense of right and wrong doesn't even register it.

The question isn't "is this right or wrong," it's "do you think this is icky?"

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    JUDGE NOW, FRIENDS, LEST YE BE JUDGED

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Fat dude's opinion of his own worth isn't my concern.

He can get his own morality quiz if he wants to make his views known.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

EDIT:

holy fuck this is an obvious, contrived, abstract exercise. just. play. along. You people are worse than the kids in the ethical reasoning 102 section I made the mistake of taking in undergrad.
    You know what you're right - it's really simple empathy which guides my answers here. I don't want to be robbed of choice personally, so I wouldn't do it to others. In situations where I couldn't have made a choice, I'll respect others choosing for me.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Holy fuck, you just threw that guy in front of a fucking trolley!
    Frank wrote:
    Yeah, but I knew he was okay with this. I WTF'd his profile on OKCupid.
    Sh-it! They have a question for that, too?

EDIT: Alternative "just for laughs" addendum:
    ... wait, does this mean you're gay?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Then ask that question. Don't try to hide it behind some kind of contrived, shocking scenario designed to elicit visceral unease. My "gut" as someone who was raised Catholic doesn't like the idea, but my sense of right and wrong doesn't even register it.

The question isn't "is this right or wrong," it's "do you think this is icky?"

No, actually I think that way of putting the question gets more quickly to what people really think.

"Do you believe there is an inherent moral order to the universe" is a question to which many people will answer yes or no when in reality they believe the opposite, because it calls in other associations.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

See my answer to Dyscord. It's wrong to rob others of choice by my morality when they have it. I believe this is a problem of some concern in the abortion war.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, here's paraphrasing from the book.

Also, it's hard not to think of you as distrustful when you're suggesting that I'm probably going to pull evo-psych bullshit and that the book sounds like it's full of bad science. Obviously I'm a bad psychologist, but I just wanted to try. Anyway, sorry about the typos.
    The first question was separate from the rest, I just threw it in there. The majority of people (American college students) questioned felt that it was morally reprehensible but they could not create a logical argument as to why. This exemplifies the fact that moral judgments do not have to be tied to logical reasoning.

In the studies mentioned in the book, the second question and the fourth question were both generally held as amoral to go through with, taking action in the third one was generally considered morally acceptable, even though all three of them are the same in that they test the utilitarian concept of "trade one life for five".

From further studies it ends up that the deciding factor in whether these cases are amoral or not depends on whether the death of the single person is a means to an end or a foreseen consequence of an action taken. It gives you a little bit of insight into how we make moral judgments.

And that's it. No trap, honestly. I just thought it was kind of cool.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is it moral to kill tens of thousands of people to prevent someone from killing maybe more or maybe less but probably less people?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think the real reason people don't push the fat guy is because they can conceive of a situation in which they're the fat guy.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

See my answer to Dyscord. It's wrong to rob others of choice by my morality when they have it. I believe this is a problem of some concern in the abortion war.

I see where you are coming from, but I am less hesitant about forcing my own priorities on others.

Speaker on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Doc wrote: »

What if the train is actually the titanic.

MIND. BLOWN.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "Do you believe there is an inherent moral order to the universe" is a question to which many people will answer yes or no when in reality they believe the opposite, because it calls in other associations.
    But this comes back to where I'm confused, because there can be a difference between our axioms and our gut reactions. Most people here are either axiomatically-informed in their gut responses by their abstract axioms, or they're just spouting their intellectual beliefs instead of their visceral reaction.

I mean, honestly, from this approach, the most honest responses were probably the "these are bullshit questions" ones.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think the real reason people don't push the fat guy is because they can conceive of a situation in which they're the fat guy.

I think pushing a fat guy in front of a train under any circumstance is very contrary to the basic guiding principle of not being a dick.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The first question is a trap. You're going to have difficulty answering that because it's socially dangerous to answer that's its ok.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I think pushing a fat guy in front of a train under any circumstance is very contrary to the basic guiding principle of not being a dick.

I'd push him, but only if no-one was watching.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I find the 'answer' unenlightening and less interesting than the pedantry and joking we have thus far filled the thread with

rating thread 1 star D
    would not buy again

(jk)

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

From the lone victim's standpoint in both two and three, someone else just decided that you are going to die without consulting you.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

To be fair, if I thought it would work I might try and convince the fat guy to jump. In fact if I feel strongly that it's the right thing to do, I would offer to jump with him.

Fortunately this problem won't arise because a fat guy is never going to stop a hurtling locomotive.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is it moral to kill tens of thousands of people to prevent someone from killing maybe more or maybe less but probably less people?

Nuking Japan saved one million american lives

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Nuking Japan saved one million american lives
    I was thinking more invading Iraq to stop their crazy dictator from killing his people, but that works as well

deadonthestreet on
This discussion has been closed.