Options

American Presidency: Still nice

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hey, you know that story in the NYP about Obama asking Iraq to delay troop withdrawals until post-election?

Yeah, even Republicans and Bush administration officials are saying it's bullshit.

If previous experience teaches us anything its that this attack will be on a McCain ad by the end of the day.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rust wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know if they ever punished Rove for breaking his subpoena? I mean he basically said "the law doesn't touch me," so I'm kinda curious what they'll do about it. Theoretically he does have to follow the same laws as the rest of us plebeians.

If you're talking about Rove, I hate to spoil the ending...
    ...they will do precisely nothing about it, ever.

I'm off to 538 to get another dose of hopium, because I think my case of cynicism is flaring up again.

Here, have a picture:

roker.gif

Who is Karl Rov? Why can't these political cartoonists just be clear, darn you accursed Ograbme!!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Maybe Fox News doesn't want the guy that's covering Obama for him to get kicked out.

I'm just guessing of course.

Besides, if anyone is going to distort the truth Fox News wants to be the one.

The reporter is also a major (tee-hee) dick. He had one of the shittiest interviews of Obama that I've seen, one that even rivals the ABC debate.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So it is said that we are about to invest 1 trillion dollars of taxpayer money to avert more Wall Street meltdowns.

How the hell is Barack Obama going to be able to pay for anything he wants to do now?

Honestly. I want to know what to tell people while canvassing.

Qingu on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have found someone who still doesn't think any of this matters and they're not voting.

Wow.

My dad is one of these people. It has been driving me up the wall for months. He says that none of them stand for what he believes in and I ask him what he'd like to see and he hasn't gotten back to me in two months about it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know if they ever punished Rove for breaking his subpoena? I mean he basically said "the law doesn't touch me," so I'm kinda curious what they'll do about it. Theoretically he does have to follow the same laws as the rest of us plebeians.

I'm off to 538 to get another dose of hopium, because I think my case of cynicism is flaring up again.

Here, have a picture:

[IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m32/Oxxidation/roker.gif[/ IMG][/img]

Who is Karl Rov? Why can't these political cartoonists just be clear, darn it!

The Joker.
    Because, you see, Rove has orchestrated this whole situation to make McCain abandon his principles. Because McCain couldn't possible by a cad on his own.

werehippy on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, you know that story in the NYP about Obama asking Iraq to delay troop withdrawals until post-election?

Yeah, even Republicans and Bush administration officials are saying it's bullshit.

How does Amir Tehari still have a fucking job as a journalist?

Isn't blatantly making things up somewhat frowned upon in that profession?

Oh yeah, New York Post. Duh.

I'm now going to visit lower Manhattan so I can hear Alexander Hamilton spinning in his grave.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    So it is said that we are about to invest 1 trillion dollars of taxpayer money to avert more Wall Street meltdowns.

How the hell is Barack Obama going to be able to pay for anything he wants to do now?

Still has to be approved and I like the idea that the american people will now be truely paying for sub prime loans whether they fucked up or not.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

Here, have a picture:

roker.gif

Who is Karl Rov? Why can't these political cartoonists just be clear, darn you accursed Ograbme!!

HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SUSA shows that in Iowa, even the old people love them some Obama. It's the Gen Xers that are dubious. Anyway, Obama up 11 overall, 20 among women, 7 among both 65+ and 50-64.

And ya know, 30 among young voters.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Tax cuts? Social issues?

Couscous on
  • Options
    acronomiconacronomicon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Tell them it doesn't matter, we'll just print more money and it will be fine. That'd sadly work for most people who are still on the fence.

acronomicon on
    32340.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Just remind people who came up with the idea. Remind them who votes with that person 90% of the time. That should do it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Most of what we put into bailouts will be repaid.

But it hurts in the short term.

Speaker on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It isn't all sunk cost. The government is (details pending) going to buy a large share of the current bad mortgages that banks are carrying, almost certainly at a reduced cost. This will let the banks cash out their bad loans at a manageable loss while restoring confidence in them, and it's a toss up whether the discount the government gets will be greater or smaller than the amount the value of the bad debts will increase once people stop panicng and trying to unload all at once and flooding the market (there's a not insignificant chance the government will come out ahead in the long run).

Basically I have no idea how we're going to come up with the cash up front, but over the long haul it'll even out and could be anywhere from a much smaller loss to a net gain. Of course, this is pending details. This coudl be anywhere between a well crafted piece of legistlation and a sloppy blow job for Wall St.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Anyone on the fence should just be shown this quote and simply say "This woman would be a john mccain heartbeat from president"

"Oil and coal? Of course, it's a fungible commodity and they don't flag, you know, the molecules, where it's going and where it's not. But in the sense of the Congress today, they know that there are very, very hungry domestic markets that need that oil first," Palin said. "So, I believe that what Congress is going to do, also, is not to allow the export bans to such a degree that it's Americans that get stuck to holding the bag without the energy source that is produced here, pumped here. It's got to flow into our domestic markets first."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey does anyone have the Palin frowny/crying picture handy?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Really? I think Bush may be doing a suicide mission of sorts. He knows he's out, he may realize on some level that Obama's probably going to win.

So he does something to completely hamstring Obama and leave him financially incapable of pursuing much of his agenda. And when he inevitably doesn't, the GOP runs on that in 2012.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Thank you for this. I was having to break down into a discussion of what the Logan Act should be defined as on another site since I couldn't seem to convince a person that Obama had not directly violated it, despite the fact that McCain would ahve violated it multiple times using the very stringent definition he was attempting to apply. These quotes and the situation around the meeting will help me IMMENSELY.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Basically I have no idea how we're going to come up with the cash up front,

Massive inflation.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

Still has to be approved and I like the idea that the american people will now be truely paying for sub prime loans whether they fucked up or not.

Including me. Who rents an apartment. And is not a fucking retard when it comes to his own finances.

I get why this is going down, but I still think its pathetic that major private financial institutions don't get colossally obliterated for their colossal fucking mistakes. Since DOL is watching the layoffs, I've got a list here of projected layoffs for all the major subprime players over the next 6 months. Raise your hand if you think the numbers are gonna be overrepresented by secretaries and low-level functionaries instead of policy-makers and managers.

I understand we have to keep things solvent so that America's Awesomeness Quotient doesn't go down and so every other country that depends on us doesn't get booted in the ass, but I mean... can't we bail these guys out and then execute those responsible with shovel beatings?

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaker wrote: »

I think McCain will be very much drawn to a single term, not taking responsibility for the consequences of his actions during the term for the Republican Party. He'll posture as the protector of the national interest and try to emulate his hero Teddy.

Bolded for agreement. I sincerely hope it's the case so it'll set up Palin to be the first woman president.
    I know this is late but dear god I hope not. Having an extremely regressive/socially-conservative woman become the first female president would be pretty shitty and in a way ironic.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

Massive inflation.

Yeah, sadly enough I wouldn't be surprised if the short term answer ends with ".... world of pain." I can't wrap my mind around what possible options we have for generating anything remotely like $1 trillion in cash that is even kind of feasible.

werehippy on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My big issue is I don't want to reward investors for making bad decisions. They have to come out of this with a significant loss for taking on such risk in the first place.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The only potentially positive outcome from such a bailout is that this is the event that can be pointed to as "we have demonstrated that we are going to bail out companies for being stupid, wasting taxpayer money to prop them up. If we are going to do this, then the companies have an obligation to share a portion of their profits with taxpayers in return." There is zero argument against windfall profit taxes.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Including me. Who rents an apartment. And is not a fucking retard when it comes to his own finances.

I get why this is going down, but I still think its pathetic that major private financial institutions don't get colossally obliterated for their colossal fucking mistakes. Since DOL is watching the layoffs, I've got a list here of projected layoffs for all the major subprime players over the next 6 months. Raise your hand if you think the numbers are gonna be overrepresented by secretaries and low-level functionaries instead of policy-makers and managers.

I understand we have to keep things solvent so that America's Awesomeness Quotient doesn't go down and so every other country that depends on us doesn't get booted in the ass, but I mean... can't we bail these guys out and then execute those responsible with shovel beatings?

My understanding is that the stockholders got hosed in all these deals and that tight regulation is forthcoming.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm with you, I rent, I didn't buy during the crazy bullshit though I'd like to own a place sometime. I hate how the government is now basically saying to the financials "Ok do over, your bad seriously guys you have to do something about this".

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2008
    Anyone on the fence should just be shown this quote and simply say "This woman would be a john mccain heartbeat from president"

"Oil and coal? Of course, it's a fungible commodity and they don't flag, you know, the molecules, where it's going and where it's not. But in the sense of the Congress today, they know that there are very, very hungry domestic markets that need that oil first," Palin said. "So, I believe that what Congress is going to do, also, is not to allow the export bans to such a degree that it's Americans that get stuck to holding the bag without the energy source that is produced here, pumped here. It's got to flow into our domestic markets first."

I'm not even sure what she's trying to say there. Other than "someone taught me the word 'fungible' today."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Narian wrote: »

I think McCain will be very much drawn to a single term, not taking responsibility for the consequences of his actions during the term for the Republican Party. He'll posture as the protector of the national interest and try to emulate his hero Teddy.

Bolded for agreement. I sincerely hope it's the case so it'll set up Palin to be the first woman president.
    I know this is late but dear god I hope not. Having an extremely regressive/socially-conservative woman become the first female president would be pretty shitty and in a way ironic.

I doubt McCain wouldn't drop Palin pretty quickly after being elected.

But then, that might salvage her career since his presidency won't be popular with the base anyway.

Speaker on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

What the hell does this mean?

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm not even sure what she's trying to say there. Other than "someone taught me the word 'fungible' today."

When I first heard the South Carolina pageant girl comparison I thought it was overly mean and sexist, but after reading that quote it's strikingly accurate.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The only potentially positive outcome from such a bailout is that this is the event that can be pointed to as "we have demonstrated that we are going to bail out companies for being stupid, wasting taxpayer money to prop them up. If we are going to do this, then the companies have an obligation to share a portion of their profits with taxpayers in return." There is zero argument against windfall profit taxes.
    Is a good point. Also lends some moral heft to the abstract idea of taxing the rich and giving tax breaks to the poor—since the rich people (on Wall Street at least) are buffered by public funds.

Qingu on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Massive inflation.

Yes. Deficit spending -> inflation. In other words, deficit spending acts like a tax (and a regressive one at that). This is why the Republicans' anti-tax rhetoric is laughable, since they are the deficit spending champions of the woooooorld.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    My big issue is I don't want to reward investors for making bad decisions. They have to come out of this with a significant loss for taking on such risk in the first place.

As far as I know, the stockholders got screwed in all these deals.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

This is her "strong" suit. Unless the McCain campaign is playing one hell of a rope a dope, they just brought on a regular old dope.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »

What the hell does this mean?
    Even though oil is a commodity—which means that any oil we dig up from Alaska is going to be indistinguishable, market-wise, from oil we import from Saudi Arabia—Sarah Palin believes that Congress is going to do something to make that not the case.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

But most of the ceos and such won't be. He said investors, but what he meant were the rich people the republicans always watch over to make sure they don't get hit by it. Investors getting fucked by it are more likely people with 401ks who just lost massively.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

"You know, the molecules," is the part that got me. I'd guess she got it in a "word of the day" calendars, but shouldn't it at least be up to the "s" words by now? I guess we can't all have those "Bushism" calendars, like last year's christmas gift.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'd like to believe that, but I haven't seen anything confirming it yet (I've been a bit too busy today to really google on it), and I'm a cynic by nature, so I'm inclined to believe that those most responsible, at the top end of this fiasco, will walk away with fat wallets to make the same mistakes again.

*edit* Preacher nailed my concerns, even if I failed to voice them properly. ;-)

Houn on
This discussion has been closed.