Options

Cock juggling thunder [chat]

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Taking time off of work is a stupid idea and you should all be committed for it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mike why would I want to continue to talk to you about it when obviously you think my advice is destructive. Honestly you are making judgements of me and my advice that is hurtful and frankly insulting. I bet you reported my h/a post as well.

I did not report your post. You didn't violate any rules so why would I report it?

I'm not judging your life, I'm saying you gave terrible advice. There's a difference.

I very nearly reported it, but decided that since I wasn't actually participating in the thread itself I should stay out of it. Bad advice is itself infractable in H/A, and Preacher that is some epically bad advice. Entering into the commitment of marriage under emotional duress is the worst thing imaginable. It will destroy you emotionally and financially. You know how Catholics are usually required to interview with a priest before the church will sanction their marriage? It's to prevent people like her from completely fucking themselves over.

Well and because Catholics are nucking futs, but otherwise yeah.

Yeah, there are a lot of Catholic kids out there who fuck up and get pregnant and then run to the church to make it all better. In those cases the priest is supposed to step back and actually make damn sure that they know what they're getting into (both spiritually and with respect to the law) but it's not always easy because there's a natural conflict there. But in cases like that H/A case it's pretty cut and dry: you are not ready. My mother had to jump through quite a few hoops when she married my father because she'd had her first marriage annulled.

In the Catholic world, marriage doesn't fix shit for people who fucked up. Penance and absolution do. But admitting fault is hard and they don't wanna so often the priest ends up stuck between a rock and a hard place, because one the one hand you're supposed to support the nuclear family but on the other Christ these kids are fucked. I know quite a few priests who stopped performing marriages because they were sick and tired of facing the shotgun themselves.

Well that was a hell of a tangent.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The video game is still going to be there when you get home from work. Why can't you just wait?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Taking time off of work is a stupid idea and you should all be committed for it.

I get paid when I take time off of work. I lose that time if its not used by the end of the year. Why wouldn't I take time off of work?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The video game is still going to be there when you get home from work. Why can't you just wait?

Seriously?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When you take time off of work for a video game that's when you see a therapist. The only suitable reason for taking vacation time is if Barack Obama asks you to.

People take time off from work for all sorts of reasons. I don't see taking time off to play video games, even if it's just WoW, as somehow indicating maladjustment.

Because placing a video game as a priority over your source of income is ridiculous.

Because, ya know, people have never taken a day off to watch a sports game or anything else that's more socially acceptable then playing vidya games.

Ain't nothing wrong with taking a day or two off to do something you've been forward to for the better part of a year.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Not to mention paid vacation time. Don't most full time positions offer that?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

I get paid when I take time off of work. I lose that time if its not used by the end of the year. Why wouldn't I take time off of work?

Ditto.

Plus, if you're relatively reasonable about it and don't take time off when it's going to drop other people in the shit nobody is going to make a fuss about it.

japan on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Half of my family is Catholic purely through marriage and having babies with Catholics, so I appreciate the tangent Zimmy.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

Mine offers four weeks, not including sick days. It's pretty much awesome.

Doc on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Oh man, I was going through my hosted files and I found an awesome drawing of the X-Men that I trolled the artist's corner with a while back.

NSFW due to Wolverine's left testicle popping out of his speedo. I had to draw that to explain the look on his face. It's so crudely drawn that I doubt anyone would care, though.
    xmenarerad.jpg

the 'snikt' makes me think you've seen mallrats a good amount of times. but that's not necessarily so.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    go and tell the king that the sky is falling in when it's not

but it's not

but it's not

maybe not

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've called out the last few days due to the meds the docs have me on have me loopy as hell. They even have me on a muscle relaxer. I've slept more the last 3 days then I normally due in a week.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Elendil wrote: »

but it's not

but it's not

maybe not

It's falling.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    When you take time off of work for a video game that's when you see a therapist. The only suitable reason for taking vacation time is if Barack Obama asks you to.

People take time off from work for all sorts of reasons. I don't see taking time off to play video games, even if it's just WoW, as somehow indicating maladjustment.

Because placing a video game as a priority over your source of income is ridiculous.

Because [doing something you enjoy] as a priority over your source of income is ridiculous.

You're making a judgment that reeks of ignorance.

W_H, have my babies.

I'm just really getting sick and fucking tired of the accusation that WoW is inherently evil, addictive, and destructive. I've been playing since launch and managing my life just fine. Lots of people do. That there are a handful of people out of the 11 MILLION FUCKING SUBSCRIBERS that can't behave responsibly is no black mark against those of us that have, for instance, taken off a non-essential day of work because going in wasn't going to be very productive anyway.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

3 weeks vacation, 3 "floating holidays", 64 hours flex/sick time

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mike why would I want to continue to talk to you about it when obviously you think my advice is destructive. Honestly you are making judgements of me and my advice that is hurtful and frankly insulting. I bet you reported my h/a post as well.

I did not report your post. You didn't violate any rules so why would I report it?

I'm not judging your life, I'm saying you gave terrible advice. There's a difference.

I very nearly reported it, but decided that since I wasn't actually participating in the thread itself I should stay out of it. Bad advice is itself infractable in H/A, and Preacher that is some epically bad advice. Entering into the commitment of marriage under emotional duress is the worst thing imaginable. It will destroy you emotionally and financially. You know how Catholics are usually required to interview with a priest before the church will sanction their marriage? It's to prevent people like her from completely fucking themselves over.
    Isn't it also to ensure they intend to make many Catholic babies to grow up and become altar boys and girls

Not really. They ask if you intend to have children (why and why not) and factor that into their advice. If you do intend to have kids they ask how you intend to raise them in the faith (basically "do you have Godparents selected y/n"). Then they go over the various options for Sunday school and the various services and support networks offered by their local parish. That's about it.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Isn't four weeks the usual amount?

japan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    japan wrote: »

In the US its normally 2 from what I can tell :(

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

but it's not

but it's not

maybe not

Close your eyes and see the skies are falling
    :whistle:

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Seriously?

I think so? You can't wait?
    Tav wrote: »

Because, ya know, people have never taken a day off to watch a sports game or anything else that's more socially acceptable then playing vidya games.

Ain't nothing wrong with taking a day or two off to do something you've been forward to for the better part of a year.

Because, ya know, that's totally what I was saying. A sports game is more important to you than your job?

I don't really understand the controversy. I think taking time off of work is a pretty serious matter. At least in my case, taking time off fucks people over, so I don't do it if I can help it. If your job is different, where you won't be missed for a day or two, or you have paid vacation time that you have to take, then that's different and I don't really care about how you decide to spend your time.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Teehee. I feel a TDPCYDI? about to hit the auto-bailout thread.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Teehee. I feel a TDPCYDI? about to hit the auto-bailout thread.
    what the fuck are you talking about

Elendil on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Least ruin your life over a good game sheesh

fucking chetto fingered bitches

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Huh.

I get four weeks paid holiday, plus six days paid public holidays, sick time is also paid and anything shorter than three days doesn't require a doctor's note.

Obviously if you really take the piss with the sick time then questions will be asked.

japan on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    At my last job I had a boss who would not let me use a sick day unless I told him I was sick. Even if he knew I was not sick.

"Hey, I'm not coming in today."

"Why not?"

"Does it matter? Take one of my sick days."

"Are you sick?"

"No?"

"Then you can't take a sick day."

"Okay... I'm... sick?"

"Okay, see you tomorrow."

Really weird.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're on use or lose, who gives a shit what you're doing on your time off.

My work gets unlimited sick days, but I rarely ever get sick :|.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Oh man, I was going through my hosted files and I found an awesome drawing of the X-Men that I trolled the artist's corner with a while back.

NSFW due to Wolverine's left testicle popping out of his speedo. I had to draw that to explain the look on his face. It's so crudely drawn that I doubt anyone would care, though.
    xmenarerad.jpg

the 'snikt' makes me think you've seen mallrats a good amount of times. but that's not necessarily so.

That is what I thought, too.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Huh.

I get four weeks paid holiday, plus six days paid public holidays, sick time is also paid and anything shorter than three days doesn't require a doctor's note.

Obviously if you really take the piss with the sick time then questions will be asked.

Yeah I've never seen a place offer that much around here.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Half of my family is Catholic purely through marriage and having babies with Catholics, so I appreciate the tangent Zimmy.

It's kinda like a chronic infection, except instead of prescribing antibiotics they give you bread and booze.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It's kinda like a chronic infection, except instead of prescribing antibiotics they give you bread and booze.

Pfft. Wine is not booze.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

In the US it's two weeks for a full-time position. It's a horribly small amount by western standards.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Huh.

Yeah I've never seen a place offer that much around here.
    japan lives in a socialist utopia where workers are treated kindly and health care falls from the sky

Elendil on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Res wrote: »
    At my last job I had a boss who would not let me use a sick day unless I told him I was sick. Even if he knew I was not sick.

"Why not?"

"Are you sick?"

"No?"

"Okay... I'm... sick?"

Really weird.

Probably a protocol thing. He's fine with you taking a sick day, but you have to tell him you're sick otherwise he becomes responsible if something happens.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Res wrote: »

"Why not?"

"Are you sick?"

"No?"

"Okay... I'm... sick?"

Really weird.

Probably a protocol thing. He's fine with you taking a sick day, but you have to tell him you're sick otherwise he becomes responsible if something happens.

Or maybe he wants you to live with the guilt of a lie.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Same in Canada.

Usually you get more the longer you're at the job, though. Or if you get a new job you might be able to sneak an extra week or so in negotiations if they really want you.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    japan lives in a socialist utopia where workers are treated kindly and health care falls from the sky

Damned America.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    To be fair, the public holidays ("bank" holidays) are a quirk of my employer, usually they're rolled into four weeks paid holiday entitlement.

I've never worked anywhere that specified a certain number of sick days, though.

japan on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

In the US it's two weeks for a full-time position. It's a horribly small amount by western standards.

man, I started at 3, it grows to 5

and the various stat holidays don't count in that amount, nor the two weeks off around christmas

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, so Sarks was just assuming everyone else had the same job that he has and judging them based on that.

Makes sense.

Nocturne on
This discussion has been closed.