Options

GEARS OF WAR 2

• Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You do know why mortars are effective, right?

I'll give you a hint: they do a lot of damage to a lot of people who stand around with their thumbs up their asses.

protip: If you hear a mortar, get the fuck out of where they're targeting and kill them. Flamethrower? Gee, a short range powerful weapon, how bout you use that sniper rifle on your back? Boomshield? Have you tried flanking? or shooting them in the place that makes blood come out?

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'll give you a hint: they do a lot of damage to a lot of people who stand around with their thumbs up their asses.

protip: If you hear a mortar, get the fuck out of where they're targeting and kill them. Flamethrower? Gee, a short range powerful weapon, how bout you use that sniper rifle on your back? Boomshield? Have you tried flanking? or shooting them in the place that makes blood come out?

Seriously, all these weapons seem to promote having a good flexible strategy and game plan, and then they want to get rid of them.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seriously, Mortars are easy as hell to dodge unless you're all dancing on the spot or something. I just played through that fucking Act 4 part:
    Before Cole and Baird return from grindlifts, there's a mortar dude every section of the path. Given enough time I can walk away carrying a mortar myself and take minimal damage. I still die a lot, but it is possible to evade the blast.

Do MLG pro-gamers not communicate or what, I would've thought that your teammates would be yelling "oh fuck that sonofabitch has mortar focus fire!" or some other shit.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Seriously, all these weapons seem to promote having a good flexible strategy and game plan, and then they want to get rid of them.

Can't have any variety in pro gamings!

I mean seriously, they actually set up their spawns in Halo so that a team can spawncamp. On purpose.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll take Starcraft as an example of prime conduct on part of the competitive pros when Starcraft II comes out and nothing gets banned.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    The mortar is pretty much useless in a lot of situations but on river for example it can kill people in the houses which is ridiculously stupid. There is just no good reason to have a mortar on that map. In a one on one situation how are you suppose to kill a guy with a boomshield? If you already ran out of your smoke grenade you can't if the other guy is decent. Also if the enemy has a flamethrower and all you have is a sniper you are probably still screwed. Use ruins as an example, how many long sniper lanes are there? Not many, and you are not going to kill him unless it is a headshot. It should not be such an uphill battle against a weapon that takes almost no skill at all.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So "this guy has an advantage over me, therefore it takes no skill and is cheap", right?

You're saying if you find yourself in a situation where someone is better placed than you, you probably won't come out on top. I AM SHOCKED AND APPALLED AT THIS STARTLING DEVELOPMENT.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    First situation is conserve smoke grenades if you don't control the boomshield

second situation is don't let them jump you with the flamethrower
    darleysam wrote: »
    So "this guy has an advantage over me, therefore it takes no skill and is cheap", right?

You're saying if you find yourself in a situation where someone is better placed than you, you probably won't come out on top. I AM SHOCKED AND APPALLED AT THIS STARTLING DEVELOPMENT.

and this

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Man CableCarrier and I were just having a fun match (nice last stand, btw... taking out three dudes with a pistol by yourself is no short order) and whoever joined us was lagging so much that it was unplayable, then my 360 froze and I had to hard boot it.

Sorry about that, Cable.

Organichu on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Man CableCarrier and I were just having a fun match (nice last stand, btw... taking out three dudes with a pistol by yourself is no short order) and whoever joined us was lagging so much that it was unplayable, then my 360 froze and I had to hard boot it.

Sorry about that, Cable.

wrong game thread I'm thinking ^_^

aBlank on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    The mortar is pretty much useless in a lot of situations but on river for example it can kill people in the houses which is ridiculously stupid. There is just no good reason to have a mortar on that map. In a one on one situation how are you suppose to kill a guy with a boomshield? If you already ran out of your smoke grenade you can't if the other guy is decent. Also if the enemy has a flamethrower and all you have is a sniper you are probably still screwed. Use ruins as an example, how many long sniper lanes are there? Not many, and you are not going to kill him unless it is a headshot. It should not be such an uphill battle against a weapon that takes almost no skill at all.

The mortar is awesome on Security; I've repeatedly taken down 1 or 2 people at a time just pounding mortar rounds beyond the security gates. In a 1v1 against a boomshield you can retreat and then aim for the legs; the shield's purpose is to lead an offense. The flamethrower is awesome, but has limited range; also, don't perfect reload rounds from a sniper rifle still down a target in one shot?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dusda wrote: »

The mortar is awesome on Security; I've repeatedly taken down 1 or 2 people at a time just pounding mortar rounds beyond the security gates. In a 1v1 against a boomshield you can retreat and then aim for the legs; the shield's purpose is to lead an offense. The flamethrower is awesome, but has limited range; also, don't perfect reload rounds from a sniper rifle still down a target in one shot?

Nope, PR's from sniper arent 1-hit downs anymore.

It is a silly complaint thought. You're complaining about losing in close combat versus a specialized close combat pickup weapon while wielding a long range pickup weapon :P This would be like complaining that hammerburst/lancer loses to sniper at long range.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    aBlank wrote: »

Sorry about that, Cable.

Wha'?

Do we have a separate GoW 2 thread?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man, if I see someone run up to me with a shotgun, and all I've got is a sniper rifle and no ammo in any of my guns and no grenades, shotty wins every time.

It's cheap and takes no skill, should totally be dropped from pro games.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dusda wrote: »

The sniper does not work like that anymore, active reload does not do anymore more damage it only makes headshots easier.

The flamethrower is just far too powerful at close and medium range, there is no counter to it except running away which is retarded and is the only weapon in the game like that.

The mortar slows down gameplay and it a little glitchy anyways so does not really deserve to be in competitive play, although it is fun to use in matchmaking. So many times I have been in the middle of a room and a mortar will fall through the roof on my head.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    aBlank wrote: »

Sorry about that, Cable.

Wha'?

Do we have a separate GoW 2 thread?

gah. When you said Last stand and nice pistol kills taking out 3 guys... I assumed you meant Call Of Duty :P my bad!

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man, if I see someone run up to me with a shotgun, and all I've got is a sniper rifle and no ammo in any of my guns and no grenades, shotty wins every time.

Do not be retarded, you will never run out of shotgun ammo in a normal fight and if you did run out of ammo that was all on you not the enemy. The only time I have ever run out of shotgun ammo was on a game of Annex where I got 30 kills and my enemies only used lancers. Also if you are good enough you should have a fair chance against a shotgun, one shot and one melee or if you are good enough a headshot. Or two melees, whatever it takes. Run away and line up a shot.

Also the shotgun takes a lot of skill in this game.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Sorry about that, Cable.

It's cool. I dropped out soon after you did--that lag was completely insane.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do not be retarded, you will never run out of shotgun ammo in a normal fight and if you did run out of ammo that was all on you not the enemy. The only time I have ever run out of shotgun ammo was on a game of Annex where I got 30 kills and my enemies only used lancers. Also if you are good enough you should have a fair chance against a shotgun, one shot and one melee or if you are good enough a headshot. Or two melees, whatever it takes. Run away and line up a shot.

Also the shotgun takes a lot of skill in this game.

Yes. You see one is point AND shoot. The other is just... point and shoot! Note the second 'and' isn't capitalized. The difference should be obvious.

(EDIT) anyway, sorry for laming up this thread with this shit. Not enough people even care about MLG and their rules for this to be worth discussing, so I'll stop.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I tried to use the ghost cam to find our spawn point and we were all just hanging there in mid air, not holding guns.

Organichu on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's only one fan of the MLG here, and he insists bringing up the rules every once in a while. I've told him in the past this forums general consensus on it, but to no avail.
    Hopefully next time he can retard up the MLG forums and not ours.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I was not the one who brought up the sniper, someone else said it was the counter to the flamethrower. I do not think there is a counter to it really, it is the undisputed best close to mid range weapon, the mulcher might be better but it really limits mobility which I think is a fair trade off.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Someone else asked me if MLG was banning the hammer of dawn so I told them what the rules were probably going to be.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I was not the one who brought up the sniper, someone else said it was the counter to the flamethrower. I do not think there is a counter to it really, it is the undisputed best close to mid range weapon, the mulcher might be better but it really limits mobility which I think is a fair trade off.

Solution: Don't let the enemy get the flamethrower. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Solution: Tom Taylor

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I used the sniper rifle as an example to counter the flamethrower because it is usually a long range weapon, out of the reach of flames. Any weapon that can give an accurate shot outside of the flamethrowers range is a counter.

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I used the sniper rifle as an example to counter the flamethrower because it is usually a long range weapon, out of the reach of flames. Any weapon that can give an accurate shot outside of the flamethrowers range is a counter.

Or you could plant a grenade as a mine and bait the enemy into running into it OH WAIT they got rid of frag grenades too.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Or remove it and keep the close range weapon a much more exciting and balanced weapon, the shotgun.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It is kind of like basketball, why can't they just walk down the court with the ball? Because it would not be very exciting to watch the worlds tallest man walk down a basketball court for 2 hours.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is kind of like basketball, why can't they just walk down the court with the ball? Because it would not be very exciting to watch the worlds tallest man walk down a basketball court for 2 hours.

I think a more accurate analogy would be banning the ability to shoot close to the goal. That takes next to no skill, only people who can shoot for three can play!

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Give them all flamethrowers?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    you think the shotgun is exciting and balanced

and you just made an analogy to dribbling in basketball.

My boy, you are broken.

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You're... kidding right? This is a horrible way to wind this iteration of the gears 2 thread down...

can't we all just agree to disagree on the fact that the "pro-rulesets" are just.. bad?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Cue the paragraph long run-on in defense.

Anyways, so the gold lancer is no longer available to download? I queued it up but havnt turned on my 360 in a few days.

Smashism on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    Cue the paragraph long run on in defense.

Anyways, so the gold lancer is no longer available to download? I queued it up but havnt turned on my 360 in a few days.

It wasn't really supposed to be available as a free-to-download thing. It was a mistake. :U

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think its kind of silly to be complaining about special weapons, which you have to pick up, and theres probably only one of them on the map with limited ammo, with calling these weapons overpowered. Everyone has a chance to get to this weapon. EVERYONE. If you don't get it first its probably because you were owning on their teammates or getting a different good weapon.

Yes, if someone has a special weapon and you don't, your probably at a disadvantage. Thats common sense. It is a price you have to pay for doing whatever you were doing while not looking for the special weapon. If your going to complain about something, complain about something you could have all the time everytime which trumps everything else, not something which you have to race 9 other people for every map.

Also saying Mortars take no skill at all is just retarded. I'm sorry, but when you have people constantly moving around on the battlefield, its pretty hard to determine who is going where and to judge distance etc. Plus, it takes like 5-10 seconds after firing for it to hit the floor, plenty of time for the defenders to get their ass moving. Also, once again, its a limited weapon. You race to get it. The only times I've ever seen whole teams get demolished by one is when you have 4 people all grouped together roadie-run racing to another weapon. And river: The mortar is right in the middle of the fucking map. Its such a sniper-bait area its not even funny.

Edit: Lawlz

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Another thing to keep in mind is how many power weapons there are on a map, some had to be removed. River is a good example, there is a boomshot, mortar, sniper/torque and nades. That is four power weapons, which is a ridiculous amount considering you have a team of five. The mortar would be pretty much useless if it wasn't glitchy, it is pretty easy to dodge and all it would really do is force the other team in to cover which promotes camping.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Another thing to keep in mind is how many power weapons there are on a map, some had to be removed. River is a good example, there is a boomshot, mortar, sniper/torque and nades. That is four power weapons, which is a ridiculous amount considering you have a team of five. The mortar would be pretty much useless if it wasn't glitchy, it is pretty easy to dodge and all it would really do is force the other team in to cover which promotes camping.

Or it could force the team OUT of their current cover to you know, stop people from camping...Christ.

You are like talking to a brick wall.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

What the fuck is this guy, MLG defense force?
    Dude you have gone from silly nuisance to all out moron. You should probably stop while you are ahead.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

What the fuck is this guy, MLG defense force?
    Dude you have gone from silly nuisance to all out moron. You should probably stop while you are ahead.

At what point was he ahead?

aBlank on
This discussion has been closed.