As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shopping for a new car.

astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy...Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So...my crappy little Daewoo Lanos is officially deceased and I am starting my search for a new (or good used) car. The questions I have are thus...

1). Is there any way to figure out what my financing options are before sitting down at the dealership? All of my other (2) cars have been hand-me-downs or friend of a friend deals.

2). What are some good cars in the less than 25k range? My primary concerns would be gas mileage, reliability/service warranty, and safety, probably in that order. It could be hot pink with streamers for all I care, as long as it works.

3). I've looked at a few dealerships and test driven a few cars (all Hondas so far). Is there any question a person who knows jack about cars should be asking or anything I should be looking for on the test drive other than how the car feels?

I'll probably try to talk my parents into coming out with me when I am ready to act, as I am a bit of a push-over, but as a cheap-ass who doesn't feel like paying for a Consumer Reports subscription, any help with the rest of this mess would be appreciated.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
astrobstrd on

• Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1. Most dealerships have an approximate financing option on their page when you pick out what paticular car you want with the uptions and what not.

2. Hmm there are a multitude of options but if gas is your main concern your probably better off getting a smaller car with great mileage like the MINIs or Aveos. The plus on this is that a smaller cars are also cheaper so two birds with one stone right? I'd def do some research on the web for brand's smaller cars then do some on site research at dealerships. NEVER commit to anything unless you are absolutely certain about what you want. Salesman have a way of roping you in.

3. Check out these key features when test driving: Starts and stops, turning, handling, visibility (out of all mirrors especially when backing up), and terrain (try differnt roads and speeds to test handling, suspension and speed).

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Have you looked at Scion yet? http://www.scion.com

I have a 2008 Scion xB and I like it quite a bit. I need to haul large things regularly, and it works great for that. If I just needed a car to get around, I would probably get a Scion xD or tC. They are all great cars with a lot comfort and safety features as standard equipment, the only things you add on are options to customize the car a little, like upgraded stereo, interior multi-color light kit, wing on the back, etc. Lots of safety features like front and rear side curtain airbags, anti-lock brakes and traction control, all standard and for 16k (xB). Built by Toyota in Japan, so they have great build quality.

They have a no haggle price policy (called "pure pricing"), so there is no lengthy negotiation process. The only thing is you will want to pre-arrange your financing so you can get a decent interest rate, since the rates through Scion/Toyota are high. If you can prove that you can get a better rate, they will match it.

Count Funkula on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a 2008 Scion tC. Lots of stuff standard (even iPod connection) as mentioned above, drives pretty nicely...no real problems. Gets around 26-29 mpg most days. Regarding the interest rates, I think if you are a student/graduating they give you their lowest rate.

My friend got a new Civic recently, and the thing runs forrrrrrreeeeeeeeveeeerrrrrrr before filling up. So probably not a bad option.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    1). Is there any way to figure out what my financing options are before sitting down at the dealership? All of my other (2) cars have been hand-me-downs or friend of a friend deals.

Someone else will give a definite word on this, but my impression from previous threads was that unless you have great credit and can get a great promotional financing deal (0%, etc) from the dealership, you'll typically do better if you get financing through your bank
    2). What are some good cars in the less than 25k range? My primary concerns would be gas mileage, reliability/service warranty, and safety, probably in that order. It could be hot pink with streamers for all I care, as long as it works.

For strictly mileage/reliability, I'd say probably
    Toyota/Honda (/Subaru if you live in a snowy area) > Mazda/other Japanese-built > US

Depends on what size / how basic you're looking for... sub-compact would be like a Toyota Yaris (~15k?), next level up would be the Corolla/Civic/Mazda3 level (~17k?), then Camry/Accord? level. If you'd like the usefulness of a hatchback, then something like a Toyota Matrix / Mazda3 hatch could be good.

Also, edmunds.com has pretty much everything from the consumer reports that you'd have to pay for.. and I thought most of the consumer reports stuff was free on their website anyway, but possibly not. (You could always go try to find a copy at your local library, or just thumb through one at an airport or something :))

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll probably try to talk my parents into coming out with me when I am ready to act, as I am a bit of a push-over, but as a cheap-ass who doesn't feel like paying for a Consumer Reports subscription, any help with the rest of this mess would be appreciated.

Google is your friend. After the test drive, go home and look up reviews. YouTube is a good place for a wide variety of people talking about their new cars, people often tell you how much they paid as well. This is useful information.

I know in these parts, if you go into your bank and ask for a financing estimate, they can give you a run down of what they would offer you. When I bought my car 5 years ago, they also had a good idea what the dealership was going to offer. This was excellent information to have walking in to purchase the car.

Some more things. When it comes to the actual buying. I don't know if you've done this before, but being the one to do the actual negotiations is very empowering. I would suggest it. Bring someone along for support, but make sure you're the one doing the talking.

While negotiating, focus on the price of the car. If you let them talk you into negotiating on a monthly rate they can do all kinds of funny things with the price of the car, fees, interest and loan term (depending on the term, interest rate etc, they can make their counter offer look like a very tiny increase or slip in extra fees that you wouldn't necessarily notice without seeing the final price).

A good friend of mine just bought a car and this is his best car-buying advice.
    Andrew wrote:
    We brought a laptop with us that had a spread sheet we had set up ahead of time to calculate final costs (with taxes/fees), as well as monthly payments based on the term and interest rate, and also to help us keep track of what the offer was, what the fees were, etc....it slows things down a bit when you're fiddling with entering values, which is a good thing - gives you time to think (and I think throws the salesperson off their game a bit - they're used to running the show, and it's harder to manipulate the numbers when you're following right along with your own calculations). Google for monthly payment formula and add it to your spreadsheet.

Another good line he used is when they would say "But sir that's only an extra 5 dollars a month" he would reply, "You're right, so you must be more then happy to deduct a mere 5 dollars a month to keep me here." It got him a laugh and the 5 bucks came off. If they aren't budging on the price, see what else they can offer for free. Warranty extension, another set of keys with a fob, all weather floor mats (I won't buy a car unless they throw these in for free, it's stupid, but I like the rubber Monster Mats)

Above all, using Google, you can find out the list price for any car, as well as what they are realistically going for. Have a number in mind when you walk in the door. If they don't get to your number, walk away. It's simple, but it works.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gdiguy wrote: »

Someone else will give a definite word on this, but my impression from previous threads was that unless you have great credit and can get a great promotional financing deal (0%, etc) from the dealership, you'll typically do better if you get financing through your bank

For strictly mileage/reliability, I'd say probably
    Toyota/Honda (/Subaru if you live in a snowy area) > Mazda/other Japanese-built > US

This is completely false and is part of the reason the Big three are struggling.

Most reliable brand? Buick.
    Least reliable brand? VW

Honda and Toyota are in middle of the reliability period.

Cars with highest mpg average?
    GM. Even the Corvette gets 28mpg. All of their I4's get 32-36, several V6's get over 30. They have the largest lineup of Hybrids, and personally I never liked them but it is the truth.

I am not saying that the Big three didn't earn that perception. But 10 years after they have turned that stuff around and as Asian reliability has faltered, it really bugs me to hear someone continuing to push that propaganda.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    American cars may be reliable but they are just terrible to drive. The interior build quality is pathetic. I do valet parking so I get to drive a lot of different kinds of cars and American ones are usually the least enjoyable to drive. They just feel cheap. Lately I've been very impressed with Volvos. The smaller ones like the S40 and the C30 have very nice interiors - spartan and easy to use.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reposting my recommendation from the multitude of previous car threads.

I bought a 2008 Elantra GLS Sport (SE equivalent) this spring. It was rated this years top pick in the small sedan category by Consumer Reports against the Civic, Corolla, Cobalt, Aveo, Focus and Mazda3 in road test, reliability and safety tests. The only other cars recommended in that class were the Ford Focus and Subaru Impreza, so look at those as well.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126602
    "The Elantra's top rating in the small sedan class shows how far Hyundai has come in the last decade," it said. "Its cars used to be unreliable and unrefined, with low scores in CR's tests. Now, some compete with the best in their classes."

Personally, I think it's a blast to drive. I average 35-40mpg in a mix of semi-aggressive city and highway driving. It's got lots of standard features like all around airbags, an auxiliary jack, heated seats and ABS as well as extras (which we opted for in the SE version) like fog lights, a power glass moonroof and 16" alloy wheels.

Take it for a drive and you'll love it.

Here are a couple photos of mine. (which has been tinted by a third party, not factory) Spoilered for a bunch of images.

avante7.jpg

avante8.jpg

DSC_3573.jpg

DSC_3566.jpg

DSC_3566.jpg

DSC_3573.jpg

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1). Financing - Yes - Most manufacturers will list financing options through their website. Sometimes, you have to "build your own" before you can see it, but it will explain the interest rate/payment options. Consider banks as a source for financing as well. They would loan you the money, then you would give the dealership cash/check.

2). Honda Civic (very reliable, , Chevrolet Cobalt (SS is best value/performance), Scion tC/xB/xD (best value/money), Toyota Yaris/Corolla (good fuel economy/features), basically, there are a ton. Buy a Road and Track or Car and Driver and check out their econo-box comparisons. They'll tell you all you really know/care about. For more in depth info, check elsewhere - those magazines are essentially a guideline.

3). On the technical side, something with an even number for horsepower/torque, i.e. 150 hp, 150 tq. If something has too much HP and not enough torque, you're going to spend a lot of time in the high-RPM ranges of the engine - burning more gas than needed. This really only applies at WOT (wide open throttle) but because a lot of manufacturer's vary their engine design, there are some exceptions.

Basically, you don't want a car that can't accelerate (like your Daewoo, no offense) because if you are in a situation you need power to get out of, you're going to hate it. Features (good sound system, cruise control, A/C) are all your choice, but make sure it has some sort of Traction Control if you're in a region that get's really wet, or cold, or hot and dry, it comes in handy.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    :P Oh come on. Corvette gets 26 on the highway due to 6th being something crazy like 0.5 or 0.6 to 1, gaming the numbers to reduce the gas guzzler tax. If you spent the entire fuel tank on the highway at 65mph in 6th you might get 26 MPG. Unless you're starting in 3rd and drive like an old lady you'll have difficulty cracking 19-20.

Otherwise, I agree with your basic assertion that the big 3 have gotten a bum rap for reliability with respect to their more recent model lines.

People tend to take a long time to turnover cars and usually when something goes wrong it can be quite expensive, so perceptions are slow to change.

Most newer cars would be pretty reliable so long as their owners kept the body in good repair and changed out fluids and filters before they wore out. Getting to 100K is mainly a question of keeping ahead of service, not abusing the vehicle, and being lucky enough to avoid major body damage. Though salt's a major factor in long term car upkeep in coastal regions.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    saltiness wrote: »
    American cars may be reliable but they are just terrible to drive. The interior build quality is pathetic. I do valet parking so I get to drive a lot of different kinds of cars and American ones are usually the least enjoyable to drive. They just feel cheap. Lately I've been very impressed with Volvos. The smaller ones like the S40 and the C30 have very nice interiors - spartan and easy to use.

It depends. True Its nice to get a VW semi cheap with leather on everything till the stitching gets undone. As for drive then your driving the wrong Americans. you get a 12-16k car it drive like crap, jump up to a 20-25 it drives well and stable (like the Malibu that got car of the year). Jump up to 30K you get some of the fastest most stable cars. You can't base everything off of the cobalts and neons of the world. (Side comment Volve's and Mazda's are owned by Ford.). Its all perception you think your getting a better product your mind makes it a better product. I have a shitty neon, I know its a shitty neon but I enjoy it, I have a friend with a brand new camry, the guy thinks its the greatest in the world but the interior in mine is better (good leather) mine accelerates faster, gets better gas mileage and even drives better (well till my latest accident). Yet you listen to him the ride so smooth he can barely notice he is hitting 100 mph. He says that because he pretends that thats how stable a car is supposed to be when going that fast.

Out of many hondas, suburus (up till last year owned by GM), an RX7, an RX8, the gens of mustangs, 2 camaro's, an E-Class Mercedes, an M3, and such one of the most stable at cars I have had the luxury of driving was my dads Charger SRT-8.

Another thing that helps with ride is how people drive it. Some cars I have driven in the next time I drive it (6 months - 2 yrs) they seem a lot looser. Yet My dads Intrepid R/T had 180k mile on it and ran as quiet and stable as it did the day he got it. People tend to treat their American cars like crap (almost a self loathing thing).

Topweasel on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Djeet wrote: »
    :P Oh come on. Corvette gets 26 on the highway due to 6th being something crazy like 0.5 or 0.6 to 1, gaming the numbers to reduce the gas guzzler tax. If you spent the entire fuel tank on the highway at 65mph in 6th you might get 26 MPG. Unless you're starting in 3rd and drive like an old lady you'll have difficulty cracking 19-20.

Otherwise, I agree with your basic assertion that the big 3 have gotten a bum rap for reliability with respect to their more recent model lines.

People tend to take a long time to turnover cars and usually when something goes wrong it can be quite expensive, so perceptions are slow to change.

Most newer cars would be pretty reliable so long as their owners kept the body in good repair and changed out fluids and filters before they wore out. Getting to 100K is mainly a question of keeping ahead of service, not abusing the vehicle, and being lucky enough to avoid major body damage. Though salt's a major factor in long term car upkeep in coastal regions.

Have you seen how most people drive their vettes. The fact is they found a way for people who want to get good mileage out of their sports car get it. I am sure all of us would want a perfect super high gear that keeps the engine at nearly idle at highway speeds, funny thing is making a hp monster like that out of a small block is what allows them to use a gear solely for fast highway cruising.

As for perception I understand why that has been slow to change but its another thing to quote it as it being true now. Not only is it not true now, but it is damaging to the companies that employee almost 5% of our working population and are already struggling.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Good to see you love the American cars there (Volvo is currently owned by Ford and has been for a while now).

to op: I got myself a 07 G6 Coupe about 6 months ago used. Drove it to PAX from Wisconsin, got about 30-35 MPG the whole way and it's now sitting at about 50k miles and it's still a smooth drive as slow as 10 mph to as high as 100mph, and I am in love with it. I would highly recommend you at least look into a used car because it could save you a good $10k.

As for financing you really need to shop around. The dealership I got the car from (Toyota) got me a loan better than the credit union I use was offering me. Just go to your bank and sit down with a loan officer and see how much they are willing to finance you for, and then go to the dealer you plan on getting the car from and see what they offer. You can even use the terms of the loan as part of a negotiating factor when purchasing the car if you get the loan from the dealer directly

Veevee on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As always, check out the Saturn Astra for a good small car that can be had for dirt cheap, yet is a German engineered/Belgian built car. Fully loaded you can get one for about $20k due to the red tag event.

If you are under 6', check out the Saturn Aura and Chevy Malibu. Very good sedans on par with any Japanese make.

The Chevy Aveo is made by Daewoo, and is the successor to the Lanos; you could check it out to see how great the company has come along. You can't beat drum brakes in this day and age! ;)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for all the advice so far. I definitely will check with my bank first on financing as my credit isn't atrocious, but not necessarily great either. After l looked at some dealership websites, it looks like 15-18k is a bit more realistic than 25k.

The nice thing is that I can use my girlfriend's car for awhile, so there isn't a HUGE rush. That being said, I am getting a bit antsy to get something.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I bought myself an 08 Altima back in January this year, and I love this car. I get about 25-26 city and I've been very impressed by how it handles. It also rated extremely high on Consumer Ratings for both safety and resale value, and it's cheaper than it's Accord/Camry counterparts. It also has push button ignition, which while not a deal breaker is still really nice to have. It has a bunch of other cool features too.

Hyundai is another really good brand to buy. Typically their cars will run a couple grand cheaper than their counterparts and they have a kick ass warranty that goes with them. So you can either choose to save some money, or get a car with some nice extras for the same price as the bare bones model of other car companies. Certainly test drive a couple and see how you like it.

As for financing, certainly get it taken care of before hand. I have USAA and with their car buying program I had a loan amount set and ready to go before I walked into the dealership. They send you what is basically a check for the loan amount (+1000 to cover extra costs that might pop up) and then all you have do to is give it to the dealer and your loan is set. See if your bank offers something like this. However, definitely see what type of financing the dealership is offering. Sometimes you'll get cash back or 0% financing which may or may not be as good of a rate that you get from your bank.

When you walk in you want to have an amount you are willing to spend, and don't go over it. Also, you'll want to ask the dealer what your "Out the Door Price" is before you agree to buy the car. This is the total amount you pay which includes car, taxes, title, destination fee, which are dealer fees they tack onto the car, show rooms ain't free. It helps to shop around at other dealer ships of the same brand, because the one dealer may be close and have a $400 destination fee but the one in the next county could be $200

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Veevee wrote: »
    Good to see you love the American cars there (Volvo is currently owned by Ford and has been for a while now).

Owned by Ford. Designed and by Volvo in Sweden. Two very different things.
    Topweasel wrote:
    It depends. True Its nice to get a VW semi cheap with leather on everything till the stitching gets undone. As for drive then your driving the wrong Americans. you get a 12-16k car it drive like crap, jump up to a 20-25 it drives well and stable (like the Malibu that got car of the year). Jump up to 30K you get some of the fastest most stable cars. You can't base everything off of the cobalts and neons of the world. (Side comment Volve's and Mazda's are owned by Ford.). Its all perception you think your getting a better product your mind makes it a better product. I have a shitty neon, I know its a shitty neon but I enjoy it, I have a friend with a brand new camry, the guy thinks its the greatest in the world but the interior in mine is better (good leather) mine accelerates faster, gets better gas mileage and even drives better (well till my latest accident). Yet you listen to him the ride so smooth he can barely notice he is hitting 100 mph. He says that because he pretends that thats how stable a car is supposed to be when going that fast.

VW are not on the top of my list of quality cars as most of the ones I drive are falling apart on the inside (even new ones). I haven't driven the new Chevy Malibu but the previous model is one of the least enjoyable cars I've driven. It handles like a car ten times its size and has a dumpy interior, it was designed as a crappy fleet rental car and fulfilled its duty as such. Basically, most American cars (read: designed in America and sold under an American name) are a good 5 years or so behind Japanese or European cars of similar price in terms of interior fit and finish. This certainly has a lot to do with perception of quality but if a car doesn't make you feel good to be in it, why buy it?

For the record I drive a '92 Honda accord with 170k mi and it's still one of my favorite cars to drive. The manual transmission has a solid tactile feel to it when shifting and the interior has held up very well over the years. It also has amazing outward visibility. I hate how all new cars have sky-high waist lines and huge A and C pillars.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Veevee wrote: »

Owned by Ford. Designed and by Volvo in Sweden. Two very different things.
    Topweasel wrote:

VW are not on the top of my list of quality cars as most of the ones I drive are falling apart on the inside (even new ones). I haven't driven the new Chevy Malibu but the previous model is one of the least enjoyable cars I've driven. It handles like a car ten times its size and has a dumpy interior, it was designed as a crappy fleet rental car and fulfilled its duty as such. Basically, most American cars (read: designed in America and sold under an American name) are a good 5 years or so behind Japanese or European cars of similar price in terms of interior fit and finish. This certainly has a lot to do with perception of quality but if a car doesn't make you feel good to be in it, why buy it?

For the record I drive a '92 Honda accord with 170k mi and it's still one of my favorite cars to drive. The manual transmission has a solid tactile feel to it when shifting and the interior has held up very well over the years. It also has amazing outward visibility. I hate how all new cars have sky-high waist lines and huge A and C pillars.

If you haven't driven in it why comment. Its true the last gen Malibu wasn't that great it was made to be a fleet car. The same thing applys to cars like the stratus and contour. I mentioned the new Malibu because it was rated this year as being better then all of its competitors. Most places and especially motor trend look at stuff including interiors and they seemed to like it. I personally don't know why people make a big deal about the substance used on an object you almost never touch. Using leather for the dash and arm rest areas means more finger prints, harder to clean, fades easier, cracks more. Just in general more upkeep then needed for items you barely ever make contact with. I am not telling you to buy American, you hate American cars we have covered that, I just want to prevent your hatred from stopping a prospective buyer from buying the right car (American or not).

The Tip to buying a car. Don't shut out specific brands just cars you don't like. Test drive as many cars as possible. 24k even if its a loan is a lot of money to throw at an Item you will be using for awhile. Make sure you like it.

Topweasel on