As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Biochemistry Question

borzou99borzou99 Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
When making phosphatidyl serine via condensation reaction, does the serine lose its -OH or the phosphate?

ssba.gif
borzou99 on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Probably depends on how you make it, but going from first principles. What do you think is more likely to exist as an R-OH, the phosphate or the alcohol? (there might be a slight clue in the name).

Rook on
  • Options
    borzou99borzou99 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    My friend and I were debating this point, but unfortunately I don't have my science texts on me. I thought it would be serine that loses it's hydroxyl.

borzou99 on
    ssba.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So... phosphate doesn't have a hydroxide group while serine does, right?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Phosphates dont normally have protonated edges, do they?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Phosphates dont normally have protonated edges, do they?

Not unless you're in a really acidic environment, and certainly not when compared to alcohol side chains.

I mean my straight up answer is I don't know, and I thought generally phosphatidyl serine was made from converting other phospholipids or through CDP-diglyceride. But if you just had a vat of serine and phosphatic acid and mixing them together, then that's probably what happens.

Rook on