Options

1up.com sold to UGO/Hearst; EGM shut down. Yes, the podcasts too.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, this is a day I never thought I'd see. I remember picking up some EGMs way back in '93. It truly feels like an end of an era. Kinda sad they didn't give them a proper last issue. My condolences to everyone.

Gamepro is as old as EGM and is still around. Why the hell isn't Gamepro dead?

Couscous on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Holy fuck, the world's just raining shit on Skip right now.

God dammit I want to go on GAF and express that so people can see it but the damn thing won't let me log on even with a password recovery.

God yeah that guy has had a hell of a time. He'd only just come back to the offices.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Although unfortunate, I have to say I was a lot more broken up when CGW went under. That mag had class, especially when the only alternative is the incredibly abysmal PC Gamer.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Only people I really feel sorry for are the ones that didn't get much face time on the podcasts/junior writers.

Everyone else will find an industry job in no time.

As for the site itself, I always hated that place, and while EGM will always have a place in my young heart, I stopped reading it a good ten years ago.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am not going to GiantBomb. They never talk about PC Games. I'm already listening to the Gamers With Jobs podcast and it is fantastic.

Hoz on
  • Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aw man, this blows a lot. 1up was pretty much the first gaming site I respected and listened to week after week, and now for their podcasts to be gone, that pretty much means I have some new podcasts to find. I may not pay much attention to other sites on gaming, but one thing I always felt about the 1up crew was that they truly loved games, even when they were at their most pretentious. Sad to see all of them go in one corporate swipe.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Sacrifices to the right dark gods. That and they went from 0 to Sold Out in 0 seconds.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hope tomorrow's comic talks about this. We all know they've done it before.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    I hope tomorrow's comic talks about this. We all know they've done it before.

I'm hoping for something similar to this except with the end result being a horrible mutated monster that just wants to die:
    20031205l.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is rough news. I have no doubt that these guys and gals will all find somewhere to go as they are all extremely talented at what they do.

I wonder what the criteria was on who stayed and go though. Like the 1up show being gone is the biggest travesty IMO Matt and Ryan put together a fucking amazing show every week. Honestly Id like to see as many people as possible go to Giant Bomb but I know that's not whats going to happen.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Sacrifices to the right dark gods. That and they went from 0 to Sold Out in 0 seconds.

GamePro pretty much owes its continued sorry existence to being "That magazine the GameStop guy keeps trying to make me buy."

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

GamePro pretty much owes its continued sorry existence to being "That magazine the GameStop guy keeps trying to make me buy."

Thats Game Informer

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No, that is GameInformer.

Couscous on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Man, when was Gamepro anything worth reading? At it's earliest it was only marginally better than old-school Nintendo Power in that it was multi-console and not an obvious corporate mouthpiece. (Note: I still keep my old early 90's NP's in the bathroom for quality reading). It was a really a kid's mag. Scary Larry, anyone?

Anyways, it's always great when the best part of something is gutted and the worthless stuff remains. The actual Review / Preview portion of 1up is trash (-2 to most Wii games for not being HD), and yet the part everyone likes gets thrown out.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Well, they both fucking suck, and all turds look alike.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Not true. Actually I think you will find that turds vary greatly between.....

WHAT AM I DOIINNNGGGGGGG

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

WHAT AM I DOIINNNGGGGGGG

The new stage of grief: poop-talk.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How long do you think the archive of old podcasts will stay up?

I friend of mine has asked me to download all the old GFW Radio's I can to a hard drive.

The Brodeo must live on!

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They'll probably be up for a while yet. At least until the fallout for this clears.

*he says as he queues up the last few retronauts episodes to download*

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But anyway, all of this treads dangerously close to G4/TechTV territory, especially with the firing of almost all the old recognizable staff while keeping a few of the other notables around, while making plans to diddle the corpses of some of the shows.

Sam Kennedy and UGO want to bring back some of the old podcasts and shows in new formats while remaining in the Bay Area, but they fired just about everyone they had who could do that. They axed Skip, but if they're wanting to bring the podcasts back under the UGO banner, they're going to have to turn right around and hire and brand new production manager. It's fucking clownshoes.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    riposte101riposte101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to miss those podcasts. 1Up Yours and Legedary Thread were my favorites. Not much reason left to visit 1up anymore.

riposte101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    riposte101 wrote: »
    I'm going to miss those podcasts. 1Up Yours and Legedary Thread were my favorites. Not much reason left to visit 1up anymore.

Thats what confuses me, not that who's left are shitty people. Well at least Shane was leaving anyways so I dont feel so bad about him his rampant Sony fanboyisim will live on somewhere else.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I cant say I care at all for EGM, not in the least, but goddamn all the people that got thrown away. Thats some shit right there. This is...rather crazy.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Rlan on NeoGAF somehow quoting Karen Chu
    "Wow. After talkin to peeps, this is sounding like the dickiest corporate move"
    Another NeoGAF post from a Washington post article

"There were also 30 layoffs related to the deal, with most of the staffers let go being part of EGM, sources told paidContent. A rep for UGO responded to the question about layoffs with a different perspective: "The reality is that UGO Entertainemnt is saving over 25 jobs," adding that the company is "retaining a core group of editorial all-star performers?"

That is such bullshit. The question marks seems to be a typo perhaps.

There is some serious dicking going on if they're spinning it like this. Damn, I thought what happened with Gamespot was slimy. What is this new beast we're seeing?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The reality is that UGO Entertainemnt is saving over 25 jobs
    The reality is that the murderer only killed half the household!

Couscous on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

WHAT AM I DOIINNNGGGGGGG

The new stage of grief: poop-talk.

Ironically, the only reason I don't recycle Game Informer when I get it is so I have something to read while I shit. That and Good Housekeeping.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's a torrent of all the brodeo from the first episode to when Jeff and Shawn left, so I wouldn't be too worried about not being able to find that anymore.

This is pretty fucked up though. I thought Jeff leaving was pretty bad, considering I'd been reading his articles/listening to him for almost his entire run on CGW and GFW, but this is much worse. I don't understand why they'd sack all the podcasts. Even if you didn't care about the games they were talking about they were highly entertaining listening to them just bullshit, this was especially true of the brodeo.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1Up.com was a great site and the people that worked there along with the podcast and other sites associated with it were some of the best, the writing has been on the wall for a long time that things were going to change, quite a few big names left in the last year or two. Plus the whole bankruptcy issue hovered over the place like a specter yet nothing ever happened. All things change. It’s a pity so many got the axe and despite them saying 30 people got fired it’s more closer to 40, plus from the whisperings and some comments being made it seems there was some crazy shit pulled in this, what who can say but I’m sure it will come out soon enough.

Good luck to those who got fired, thanks for the podcast, I’m beyond disappointed I won’t get to hear some speak again as a team, it was fun.

Cade on
  • Options
    shinydiscopaulshinydiscopaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's talk of a bunch of 1up posters fleeing here, once/if the boards go down.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

Heck, some of us are already here.

shinydiscopaul on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'd think most of them would end up going to GAF over here, in all honesty. Jeff and Shawn and Luke and a few other now-former 1up staffers still post there every now and again.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Written by Milky:

By now you've heard the news, and a lot of it is sad. But now is not the time for me to write that blog. I have a lot of love for the people who are here, who were here, who will be here, and who won't be here, and it's a little too soon for me to write the epic, mother of all mother blogs, but when I do, you will know it. For now, I have to finish trying to pack up 10 years worth of legacy. Don't worry about us. We knew it was coming, we just didn't know it was coming this hard. We'll all resurface in some fashion or another, and we will continue to entertain. What you need to know is that we control our destiny, and like cats, we will land on our feet. Personally, I've had and have a lot of options, many of which might be predictable, many of which you would never guess. What I can say is that no matter where I go, what I do, my blog will remain here. I will continue to embrace, diss, argue, delete, and celebrate you here on 1UP. I was talking with some of my friends here a few moments ago, and reminisced about what it was like when I first started doing this 'professionally' over 10 years ago, and pondered on how, the instant you put words in a magazine, or on the internet, everyone --and by everyone I mean millions of people-- will suddenly second guess you or the work you do, your motivations, and every last ding dong thing about you. Well, now that I'm looking at a nice, long break from any of that, I can honestly say, that until you've worked on a magazine, until you've worked on a website full-time, five days a week (at minimum), slaving away 'til the wee hours of the morning to produce something you believe in, like I have, with Gamespot, EGM, GMR, 1UP (and then EGM), you do not know what it's like to walk in my shoes. And in the last 25 percent of my life, which I have devoted solely to Ziff Davis, it has been great. And for the most part, you have been great. I will see you soon with the blog that counts. 10 years is a long time to remember. Did you know that --despite all the rumors that EGM would be closing-- actually completed one, last, beautiful, glorious issue of EGM? Indeed. You will see it very soon. It will be for everyone.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'd think most of them would end up going to GAF over here, in all honesty. Jeff and Shawn and Luke and a few other now-former 1up staffers still post there every now and again.

Not all, just a bunch.

shinydiscopaul on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Not all, just a bunch.

Should we attempt to recruit?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »

What? I hope they all go to GAF. The last thing PA needs is 54 threads of colossal nerds jerking off while posting how sexy they think Tina's voice is.

Besides they kept Tina so most likely their boards will stay anyway.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Not all, just a bunch.

I'd just be careful of which boards you do your recruiting from. NGR isn't a real big fan of PA.

shinydiscopaul on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow -- how absolutely and utterly shitty. I can honestly say that there is no one on the list that I would've been happy to see go. Hopefully somthing good will come of it like Giant Bomb from the ashes of Gerstman-gate.

I will seriously miss all of the podcasts, and video content.

Also say what you will about the ammout of add space in EGM as of late, but the writing they did was top notch (sure it wasn't the Financial Times, or the WSJ, but is that really what you're looking for in a games publication). What's left out there that is currently doing it as good or better than EGM was?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »
    I've long used Joystiq and Kotaku to get all my gaming news via RSS. By the time it hits "established game sites" like 1UP, IGN, etc. ... it's really old news. Sure, Joystiq and Kotaku aren't exactly known for fantastic journalism and coverage, but neither are the gaming sites either. (Trusting any news item written by Shane Bettenhausen, especially since he's a self-admitted Sony fanboy, can be difficult).

I can't remember him admitting to being a fanboy but I can remember Shawn Elliot saying that he doesn't think he's a fanboy. And regardless of any biases, Shane was still a really good writer and he had an amazing memory of classic games.

Anyway, this really, really sucks. 1UP was the only gaming website I really visited anymore and if you could get past their horrid website, they had some pretty damn good content there. That said, I've little doubt that most of the people there will get new jobs pretty soon. Personally I'm hoping that a few of them form their own website with both video and audio podcasts. 1UP Yours without drunk Garnett would be great.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Other than the 1up podcasts there wasn't really another place where I went for gaming news. Computer game publications are pretty much shit now, and it makes me sad that my GFW subscription was turned into one for PC Gamer.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Regarding the Podcasts: What's to prevent the people that got fired from banding together and continuing to do podcasts under a different name? Heck, that's how "This Week in Tech" and the TWiT network got started---refugees from TechTV banded together and formed their own shows...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Regarding the Podcasts: What's to prevent the people that got fired from banding together and continuing to do podcasts under a different name? Heck, that's how "This Week in Tech" and the TWiT network got started---refugees from TechTV banded together and formed their own shows...

That's what I'm hoping for. But life goes on, people come and go, and move on to other things so the dynamics will most definitely not be the same. We'll see what happens.

I think 1UP FM was really hitting its stride lately too.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0