As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I do not want to be Mike Rowe.

StoverStover Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Social Entropy++
Or: Nasty ass stuff that you have had to do or come into contact with as part of your job.

Recently I started working as an engineer with a state department of air quality. One of the functions of this institution is to listen to complaints citizens have about something that they feel is affecting the local air quality. Like someone burning trash, or a factory not doing what it is supposed to do.

Today I, as part of my training, helped investigate a complaint against a factory.

This factory is a chicken rendering facility.

You see, a chicken rendering facility takes all the bits of chicken that the slaughter houses and meat preparation facilities don't want. Like tiny bits of meat, for instance. Or feet, beaks, eyes, feathers, blood. Or chicken meat that was not processed in time and is therefore no longer fit for human consumption. Or chickens that died before the slaughterhouses.

And then they cook it.

The smell is both spectacular and terrible. Chicken waste being pressed, crunched, boiled, crushed, and ground. Chicken blood and feathers being cooked together to form some terrifying amalgam of awful that is probably being fed to your dog right now. Although what made me almost wretch was seeing the workers move tiny mountains of bloody chicken remains with bulldozers. That was pretty rough.

So what stories of terrible awful things that are also job related do you have, SE++?

outoftheloop.jpg
Stover on

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would love to be Mike Rowe

Sharp wit

Good looks

Awesome job

It's good to be Mike

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I sometimes have to smell the foul concoctions that people around the office here heat up in the microwave.

Gross.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I had to play a game on my iphone all day today, work totally blows.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm browsing this fucking shit hole of a forum called Penny Arcade at work right now.

Fucking hell it sucks.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mike Rowe is so attractive

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I heard that Mike Rowe's soft.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I want to see Mike Rowe playing as himself doing a crossover on Eureka.

Grath on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my job right now is to look for a job
    it isn't fun, and the pay sucks

potatoe on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The grossest thing that I ever did in my job was when I was doing a gig, I get there, and the entire keyboard is amazingly sticky.

I do not know why or what it was that made it so. It was a keyboard never used, but another show was using 4 other keyboards, so this was the only one we had left in the school of theater.

Luckily an ASM cleaned it off for me.

Khavall on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    potatoe wrote: »
    my job right now is to look for a job
    it isn't fun, and the pay sucks

Word, dogg.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    well, he did host sunday parade of homes.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've had to put my arm elbow-deep into a cow's vagina to pull out a dead calf.

That was a pretty bad day.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whenever I go into the bathroom at work, I always wind up in a stall next to a guy trying to pass a two ton boulder from his ass. Every time the dude is all HRRRRRRRNNNNGG HRUUUUUUUGGGGH and then the greasiest sounding dump ever explodes out of him and the entire bathroom immediately smells like burnt mayonnaise.

I think everyone in the entire building needs to eat more fiber.

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

I hope you have like an industrial bottle of Purel.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

I hope you have like an industrial bottle of Purel.

I have a few in my house.

After you've had a day full of blood and cowshit sometimes soap doesn't feel like enough.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    LAVA

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've had to haul bloated and rotting wildlife around on my back

I've had to wade knee deep in sewage

I've had to work elbow deep in Kodak toner, my skin was jet black for almost a solid week

I've had to clean out paint pits in the Mitsubishi plant, I coughed up purple sludge for two days and my hands and arms were purpleish for 2 weeks

I had to clean out steam tunnels of giant raccoons and rats and hobo leavings.

I've had to take care of hogs.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Whenever I go into the bathroom at work, I always wind up in a stall next to a guy trying to pass a two ton boulder from his ass. Every time the dude is all HRRRRRRRNNNNGG HRUUUUUUUGGGGH and then the greasiest sounding dump ever explodes out of him and the entire bathroom immediately smells like burnt mayonnaise.

I don't care how old I am, stuff like this will ALWAYS be funny to me.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Burnt mayonnaise? That's uh... quite a distinct and specific smell.

Also what cap said. I will always laugh at poop stories, for as long as I live. Always. The more articulate and detailed they are, the more hilarious they are.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a waiter, so dealing with silverware that people have slobbered all over and half eaten food and other nastiness.

I work in a seafood restaurant too, and some guy had a bad reaction to his meal somehow and proceded to hurl more than I have ever seen. It was pretty nasty but hell if I was gonna clean it up.

There used to be a little kid that used to always come in to a small family restaurant I worked at a few years ago, and when he decided he didn't like his food, he'd spit entire MOUTHFULS out under the table. Unfortunately, I was the one who had to clean it up. And spend a summer washing dishes and you'll never think about shoving your hand into nasty food ever again.

ins0mniac on
    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Stale wrote: »

i know everybody thinks pigs are muddy and everything

but hogs are filthy, filthy creatures

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've had to haul bloated and rotting wildlife around on my back

I've had to wade knee deep in sewage

I've had to work elbow deep in Kodak toner, my skin was jet black for almost a solid week

I've had to clean out paint pits in the Mitsubishi plant, I coughed up purple sludge for two days and my hands and arms were purpleish for 2 weeks

I had to clean out steam tunnels of giant raccoons and rats and hobo leavings.

I'VE HAD TO CLEAN POOP FROM THE INSIDE OF A CORPSES ASSHOLE WITH MY TONGUE!

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ive carried around 20 pounds of still warm human fat

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One time I had to work on a weekend, but it was OK because it was fun and I think they bought us food or something.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Burnt mayonnaise? That's uh... quite a distinct and specific smell.

Also what cap said. I will always laugh at poop stories, for as long as I live. Always. The more articulate and detailed they are, the more hilarious they are.

People at work were seriously wondering why I was laughing so hard.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    stale you have point-blank the worst life I've ever heard

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That reminds me of when i was about 19 and doin the bachelor livin thing. in my apt I had cheese, taco shells, pace salsa, tapatio salsa and some chili lime powder.

I mixed these things together and turned it into a meal once. The bad part was I had about half a bowl filled with salsa, the other half was cheese. I microwaved it and mixed it up.

I only had about four taco shells. Man that was one of the more terrible ideas I had.

Grath on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My current job sucks. However when I leave for the Air Force in a couple months, things are gonna get better. It does feel good not giving a shit about your current job though.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Skull Man wrote: »

I grew up in the country

everything but the plant and the printing jobs were fairly standard shit

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I love how that list each item is somewhat detailed except the last item.

and the last item everyone knows was probably the worst.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I grew up in the country

i dont know

ive lived in the country and i dont remember ever having to walk around in sewage

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I was on an archaelogical survey on a naval base in college. One day i got home, took a shower, and found some ticks on my arm, then some more on my shoulder, then a bunch on my chest. I had over 40 ticks embedded and countless more just hangin. I quit that job in fear of lyme disease. I also got really good at pulling ticks out of myself.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I grew up in the country

i dont know

ive lived in the country and i dont remember ever having to walk around in sewage

i grew up in the country

live in the country

it's not like the city where all the shit goes into the pipes and out of sight out of mind

out here shit is just all over the place

also this one time when i worked for the parks in los angeles county a pressurized sewage line broke on state property and leaked like thousands of gallons of raw sewage into a creek. the treatment plant had to hire guys who had like a truck sized vacuum to clean it up, and we (the biologists) had to monitor the situation

the smell

dear lord it was worse than being in one of those large scale pig barns

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I was fairly deep out in the country and the worst work related thing I've had to do is uh.. well I had to manually clean out people's email boxes because the isp i worked for was retarded and the box locked if they received something too large and i saw rather gross pictures of a fat lady i assumed was the customer. (her email address was hotnlarge<numbername>@bellsouth.net)

Grath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I was on an archaelogical survey on a naval base in college. One day i got home, took a shower, and found some ticks on my arm, then some more on my shoulder, then a bunch on my chest. I had over 40 ticks embedded and countless more just hangin. I quit that job in fear of lyme disease. I also got really good at pulling ticks out of myself.

i worked with this one dude who was like a tick magnet

like we'd walk under some trees

i'd walk under, no problem

he'd walk under and i could hear them falling off of branches to get at him

at the end of the day he would always have like five times as many ticks on him as me.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I first got stationed at this base, I spent about six months doing casuals. Casuals, for those that don't know, is basically busy work for people who, for whatever reason, can't start doing their job just yet.

One day, I was put in charge of trash detail with a couple of other guys. I head behind the Marine Corps barracks to throw my bag into the dumpster and spot a trash bag that's apparently been torn open by the local wildlife. I figure it's gonna be food or something but as I get closer, I realize that it is a small trash bag fulls of used condoms. These condoms have been chewed on and scattered all over the parking lot. I walked away in disgust and refused to do trash detail ever again.

I also worked in the gym for a while, checking IDs and handing out towels. We got a complaint about a dude from a couple of people so I had to go tell the guy that his balls were hanging out of his super tiny shorts whenever he got on the bench press and we needed him to leave. There was also the guy that smelled like piss that would come up to the counter and talk to us.

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    He should stay away from transylvania, and the moon.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I grew up in the country

i dont know

Septic tile broke when a truck drove over it, flooding a ditch until someone drove back out there and noticed it.

Had to climb in and replace the tile.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Would you fuck this guy

wp1_800.jpg

I would fuck that guy

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    On Monday, I knocked on a ladies door to let her know that we'd be in her yard trimming trees. She was fat and only wearing a blanket. My coworkers were telling me I should have hit, then she came outside and asked if any of us were hungry because she just made breakfast.

I shudder at the thought that one of my coworkers went in and did not come back for a half hour.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png