Options

New comic 2/18

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh man there was this british reporter on NPR monday that was basically saying that the isreali's had infiltrated Iran's nuclear program by setting up straw companies that would supply iran with materials. Then they would be able to know their operations and, after a while, start supplying them with faulty equipment so as to slow the process. Also that they had assassinated several iranian nuclear scientists.

The whole thing sounded like something I would read on some bat shit internet site I couldn't believe an actual reporter was saying this stuff.

Langly on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    oh man there was this british reporter on NPR monday that was basically saying that the isreali's had infiltrated Iran's nuclear program by setting up straw companies that would supply iran with materials. Then they would be able to know their operations and, after a while, start supplying them with faulty equipment so as to slow the process. Also that they had assassinated several iranian nuclear scientists.

The whole thing sounded like something I would read on some bat shit internet site I couldn't believe an actual reporter was saying this stuff.

I think reporters need to realize that when you report infiltrations of an enemy nation's nuclear program on national radio, it kinda ruins the secret

that is pretty cool though

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Aside from the whole assassinating people thing, that sounds pretty awesome and smart

which of course means no government could have pulled it off

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No the assassinations make it sound more awesome

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would just like to say that I think we should get away from portraying the insectoid aliens in video games as the bad guys

I mean, just once I'd like to meet some giant insects that wanted to be allies, and not eat my brains to feed their hive-maiden

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    Meiz wrote: »
    Buffons, the lot of you.

heh

this is pretty much priceless

if kovak hadn't given me such a good sig line i would take this one

Suppose we have a computer game, with linear game play, and we drop a black character into it. What is the probability that the black person will be interpreted as a racial stereotype?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you were a space adventurer and you met a friendly race of bug people

do you think you could find a female bug person sufficiently sexy to fuck?

edit: this was to Olivaw of course though anyone else may tackle it if they want

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

edit: this was to Olivaw of course though anyone else may tackle it if they want

It depends.

Are we going the "Somewhat realistic, giant mantis woman from Buffy" route or the "Why does a humanoid female reptile need breasts"-esque route

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    this is suddenly getting uncomfortably close to furry talk

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is the black guy a zombie? Because it's always OK to shoot zombies.

Always.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    this is suddenly getting uncomfortably close to furry talk

We're called "exoies" I'll have you know

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Furu wrote: »

It depends.

Are we going the "Somewhat realistic, giant mantis woman from Buffy" route or the "Why does a humanoid female reptile need breasts"-esque route

Whichever way you wanna swing it, bro

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    If capcom was being racist, there would be a couple white non zombies running away while everyone was infected, or possibly a bunch of nameless white people that were infected and instead of shooting them you're tryinc to cure them. That and you know the huge amount of other games they've made this being the FIRST one that there are zombies that are black. Theres also the whole thing about how they show a white girl get infected and that writer is trying to claim THAT is racist. He's only saying it because its a woman and not a man. That makes the writer of that article sexist.

The racist people are the people who look at this game and think "OH THATS RACIST" as opposed to the rest of the population that goes "oh cool a resident evil game set in africa"
    It goes back to GTA and the whole "KILL THE HATIANS" thing. Some groups cry more about possible bits of racism than others. There were no complaints from any other group that had a gang in the game. They all had similar outcomes (IE killing them brutally)

Racism sucks, I don't consider myself racist in the least. I didn't see a problem with GTA:SA when I was killing white dudes as CJ from Grove street, infact nobody did except for maybe crazy KKK members who's brains don't work quite right.

Grath on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    they should have just made them all white africans, that would have been a much better solution

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A version of RE where you're fighting albinos.

Meiz on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so what brought about this particular strip?

this RE5/racism business has been out in the open for a while now

Did they get an early copy?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Depends

Is she black?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It depends.

Whichever way you wanna swing it, bro

I am compelled to bring this gag to its conclusion but the bile rises every time I try to hit the Submit Reply button

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Depends

Is she black?

Nah man she's green or some shit

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Depends

Is she black?

Hmmm

No

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Depends

Is she black?

green bugpeople looooooooove lemon-lime soda and baked chitin

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Depends

Is she black?

Hmmm

No

Ok she can change colors and be whatever shade you want her to be, racist

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    red bugpeople drive like this

but green bugpeople drive like this

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Meiz wrote: »
    Aren't there still tribes in Africa though? I mean, last I checked, the discovery channel hasn't run out of material that introduces one to their culture and way of life.

Hate to go all PC here, but since we are having this discussion, its generally not considered acceptable to refer to African groups as tribes. It's an antiquated colonial mentality that's inaccurate.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RE5 a game where you spend the majority of your time (in single-player) playing as a white guy shooting black people in the head. There's a fictional justification (they're zombies in Africa!), but it's still racially insensitive and in bad taste. Were the people making it racist? I can't say, I don't know their intentions. But for an outside observer, it's not exactly crazy talk to think that the game is racist.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    TunnelRunnerTunnelRunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a Capcom game, though, meaning it was Made in Japan™.
    So just remember that all the white people are actually japanese people.

TunnelRunner on
    Pkmn D FC: 1591 5067 6103 --- KotS
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hoooohhhhly shit that Louis Armstrong thing.

I don't, I don't even know how to feel about that.

Goddamnit, Japan.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Nitram250Nitram250 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My question is "why would capcom even think this would fly in America."

Nitram250 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    RE5 a game where you spend the majority of your time (in single-player) playing as a white guy shooting black people in the head. There's a fictional justification (they're zombies in Africa!), but it's still racially insensitive and in bad taste. Were the people making it racist? I can't say, I don't know their intentions. But for an outside observer, it's not exactly crazy talk to think that the game is racist.

No, the racially insensitive thing is you thinking it's racially insensitive, instead of just one person shooting other people; not one white person shooting black people. Do you think it's racist when you play the black guy in San Andreas and shoot lots of white people?

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic so much.

Also, so much for overcoming our racial boundaries. A zombie is a zombie is a zombie. An unstable region is an unstable region is an unstable region.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm just confused why people are expecting a game developed in Japan to be racially sensitive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4QB7cHdVfs

hahahahaha

I love how this guy
    ohjapan.png
    is the only person in the entire video that seems to be thinking what we all are

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I mean, just having a white dude kill some black dudes isn't really racism by itself, especially if those dudes are also zombies.

But having black dudes running around in grass skirts and shit? That's pretty fucking racist.

I haven't been keeping up with the game though, all I know is from the comments in here.

Basically, when is the newspost getting posted?!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No, the racially insensitive thing is you thinking it's racially insensitive, instead of just one person shooting other people; not one white person shooting black people. Do you think it's racist when you play the black guy in San Andreas and shoot lots of white people?

Yeah, see, this comes up a lot. The "NO, JOHN. YOU ARE THE RACISTS!" argument just doesn't really work, because simply recognizing that "white dude comes to Africa and shoots lots and lots of violent black people that are portrayed as other" plugs into some historically racist images is not itself racist.

You and I know that the black dudes are violent and portrayed as other because they're fucking zombies, but that doesn't make it racist to point out that it resonates with imagery that has HISTORICALLY been produced from racist sentiment.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah, see, this comes up a lot. The "NO, JOHN. YOU ARE THE RACISTS!" argument just doesn't really work, because simply recognizing that "white dude comes to Africa and shoots lots and lots of violent black people that are portrayed as other" plugs into some historically racist images is not itself racist.

You and I know that the black dudes are violent and portrayed as other because they're fucking zombies, but that doesn't make it racist to point out that it resonates with imagery that has HISTORICALLY been produced from racist sentiment.

The first step to getting past racism is to stop thinking everything is racist.

You can shoot millions of white people and it's perfectly okay, but the second someone goes to Africa it's OMIGODRACIST?

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't think you understand the sentiment he is arguing. Also newspost was not as interesting as I hoped it would be.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So your argument is that the best way to not be racist is to completely ignore the possibility that other people might be racist.

Man, you are eleven kinds of stupid.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If we don't ever look at a problem, it ceases to exist? I guess?

I don't understand the logic there

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So your argument is that the best way to not be racist is to completely ignore the possibility that other people might be racist.

Man, you are eleven kinds of stupid.

That's....that's not what I said at all.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Every videogame should be a white guy shooting black people so that we....as a society can get over it.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sicarii wrote: »
    Every videogame should be a white guy shooting black people so that we....as a society can get over it.

This is also not what I said.

What I said is that it's stupid to automatically think that just because it's a white guy shooting some black guys that it's racist.

But please, keep strawmanning.

SyphonBrue on
This discussion has been closed.