Options

Direct me towards a new PC game!

BurguBurgu Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
So I'm in the mood for a new pc title, looking towards either a first person shooter, an RPG or anything really creative and fun. Adventure games and platformers would also be welcome! Here's what I've been playing a lot recently...

Fallout 3
Bioshock
Dead Space
STALKER
The Witcher

And I've already played through BG2, Planescape, both Fallout 1 and 2, system shock 2 and a good number of classic pc games.

I'm OK with newer game suggestions, but I would also definitely take a look at other PC classics I might have missed.

Burgu on

• Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, since you mentioned all first person shooter-esque games, I am not sure what classics I would recommend. As far as newer games, Mass Effect might be up your alley. For a "classic", Deus Ex is always a good one.

Shens on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Team Fortress 2?
    I second Mass Effect also.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll add a few more of my favorite games other than shooters, I just noticed its all shooters.

Mass Effect I've got and loved, played most of the Bioware games
    Lets see, I've recently enjoyed Psychonauts, x3: Reunion, Rome: Total War, and Warcraft 3

Burgu on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You should join us in playing Team Fortress 2. Buy the Orange Box, play HL2 and Portal and then join us in playing TF2.

Peewi on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Left 4 Dead is a very good game. You can play it over and over again and not get tired of it.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hmm some Psychonauts-esue games.. Beyond Good and Evil was a lot of fun. If you never tried the Prince of Persia remakes, Sands of Time is worth a go.
    Neva wrote: »
    Left 4 Dead is a very good game. You can play it over and over again and not get tired of it.

Mileage may vary.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ooo nice sands of time! Thats definitely something I missed

Burgu on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Second L4D and TF2. We have a very active PA community for those games.

If you can find Far Cry 2 on sale (got mine for $22) It's a great little gem. It's not quite as polished as some of the AAA titles this year, but there's not much like it. GTA style missions and contact system meets STALKER open-world.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is cheap and available on steam.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mass Effect is some of the best $20 I've ever spent.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »

I had fun with this one. A lot of people recommend the fan patches due to the developer stopping support when a great many bugs continue to plague the game. I made it through without a fan patch and still managed to have a lot of fun. Great story and immersion.

Shens on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Second L4D and TF2. We have a very active PA community for those games.

If you can find Far Cry 2 on sale (got mine for $22) It's a great little gem. It's not quite as polished as some of the AAA titles this year, but there's not much like it. GTA style missions and contact system meets STALKER open-world.

As long as you don't talk about meat :P

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    You should join us in playing Team Fortress 2. Buy the Orange Box, play HL2 and Portal and then join us in playing TF2.

Yes. A thousand times yes. The Orange Box is the best single bargain in gaming, perhaps in the history of the hobby. Buy it and wallow in the goodness.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Since a good half or so of the games you mentioned were RPGs, I'd suggest looking into the NWN expansions (just completely ignore the original campaign) and NWN2: MotB (the OC is ok, but nothing to write home about)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If your looking for classics for PC Thief is a bit of a no-brainer for me, favorite gaming series ever. As long as you dont mind about graphics I suppose, the first one, The Dark Project, is looking pretty dated and there might take some fiddling to get any of them to run properly.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dawn Of War I I?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Morrowind and Oblivion if you haven't played it.

Farcry is also available for free if you haven't tried that either.

Just Cause is available on the cheap, I have yet to fire it up on the new rig (probably can't handle it yet) but I heard a lot of good reviews.

edit: Arcanum, Indigo Prophecy, Evil Genius, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (think squad based shooter but with capitol ships and corvettes)

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DoW 2 because I can't play it on mine.

Play it for me?

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Star Trek: Bridge Commander

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Last Remnant comes out on PC soon, and it's much improved performance pretty much remove the biggest problem in the 360 version, if you're into JRPGs.

Also, Saints Row 2 now that it's been patched a few times it runs well and has widescreen support.

Khavall on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Last Remnant comes out on PC soon, and it's much improved performance pretty much remove the biggest problem in the 360 version, if you're into JRPGs.

Also, Saints Row 2 now that it's been patched a few times it runs well and has widescreen support.

The Last Remnant demo is out and fucking brilliant, if somewhat confusing at first. DoW 2 is out, it's a rts/rpg hybrid with an amazing sp campaign by all accounts.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's coming to the PC? Sold.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The SP of DoW is probably the best RTS/RPG hybrid I know off. (No basebuilding)
    Mass Effect is great First person action RPG , just do yourself a favour, and don't go OCD on the sidequests because they are very, very generic.
    Team Fortress 2 is the FPS of choice, and if you just the Orange Box, you also get Half-Life 2 AND Portal (The best atmospheric first person puzzle game there is) at bargain rates.
    Empire: Total War releases this week, and if you like tactical combat / country building, chances are it's going to be great.
    Civ4 is just my favorite game of all time. (Empire building) Everyone who owns a PC needs to have played Civ.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dawn of War II, awesome campaign, awesome multiplayer. Best game i've played in a long time, totally addictive.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Demo's on steam. With my 8800GT and Q6600 I've noticed there's still texture pop-in of about half a second, but the frame rates smooth as gravy and it still looks fucking gorgeous.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

The Last Remnant demo is out and fucking brilliant, if somewhat confusing at first. DoW 2 is out, it's a rts/rpg hybrid with an amazing sp campaign by all accounts.

I'd becareful with this one, it freezes all the time on loading screens for me, and i just reformatted my PC (Win XP.) less than a month ago, so its super clean, and it runs great actually, until it starts loading something, then it freezes my whole system, it does it at random loading screens too. No other game does this for me.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Demo's on steam. With my 8800GT and Q6600 I've noticed there's still texture pop-in of about half a second, but the frame rates smooth as gravy and it still looks fucking gorgeous.

Well, I wager it'll be 2 weeks or so when retail hits before someone figures out how to edit the .ini files to eliminate the pop-in. But yeah, game looks amazing and runs like silk on my crappy 8600. Spent over 23 hours on the demo. That's insane.

Edit: Sorry to hear about that, Elimination. Have you tried other games on the Unreal engine? see if they do the same? You've tried the usual suspects? (killing background processes esp. anti-virus, newest drivers, etc)

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wow, that is some high recommended specs though.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

For Last Remnant? There's a benchmark you can download to see how the game will run, the engine is really really optimized tho.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited February 2009

For Last Remnant? There's a benchmark you can download to see how the game will run, the engine is really really optimized tho.
    Well, it isn't really a problem for me because my PC goes well beyond the specs for the game, I'm just a little surprised is all.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well, it isn't really a problem for me because my PC goes well beyond the specs for the game, I'm just a little surprised is all.

Ah. It does look beautiful in action. Hell, if a 360 can do it then it can't be all that intesive :P

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well, I wager it'll be 2 weeks or so when retail hits before someone figures out how to edit the .ini files to eliminate the pop-in. But yeah, game looks amazing and runs like silk on my crappy 8600. Spent over 23 hours on the demo. That's insane.

Edit: Sorry to hear about that, Elimination. Have you tried other games on the Unreal engine? see if they do the same? You've tried the usual suspects? (killing background processes esp. anti-virus, newest drivers, etc)

Tried it all, and my drivers are brand new came out this month. Used to play Unreal tournament just fine. This game runs,(And runs smooth as silk.) it just will randomly freeze my system during loading screens, its never one specific spot, it seems to choose it at random, and then it wont even let me end the process sometimes, it just simply freezes up, no errors. The benchmark ran perfectly fine on the other hand for some reason.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Please remember that having a Xbox 360 controller is about the only way to play The Last Remnant on PC. Otherwise it will take awhile to memorize the vast amount of keybinds in the keyboard config.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Shens wrote: »
    Please remember that having a Xbox 360 controller is about the only way to play The Last Remnant on PC. Otherwise it will take awhile to memorize the vast amount of keybinds in the keyboard config.

This is true for enough 360-PC ports that I almost feel it doesn't need to be said anymore

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Not at all. There's an option in the controls menu to change all prompts/visual indicators to your keyboard. So instead of being asked to press X, you get asked to press whatever keyboard key you bound as X.

Plus the default controls take all of 5 minutes to figure out and are super functional. Since combat is mostly automated the game doesn't have a lot of button to push at all.

Edit: You can even rebind the soft reset key-combination. I've never seen that before.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited February 2009

This is true for enough 360-PC ports that I almost feel it doesn't need to be said anymore

You are right for the most part. Mass Effect was a great port though. The control scheme was revisted to work flawlessly with the PC. It seems ports can either be fluid or pretty damn jarring. I would say that TLR falls on the far end of pretty damn jarring.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Keybind.jpg

That's the setting.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited March 2009

You are right for the most part. Mass Effect was a great port though. The control scheme was revisted to work flawlessly with the PC. It seems ports can either be fluid or pretty damn jarring. I would say that TLR falls on the far end of pretty damn jarring.

Some ports can't be done to have a better control scheme on the PC. For instance: Racing games.

Shooters or games with shooting elements, as well as strategy games, tend to work better with KBAM. Platformers, Racing games, Action games, and anything with QTEs or non-mouse-specific controls tend to work better with a gamepad.

Khavall on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd recommend my GOTY 2008; Mass Effect.
    Also, do check out Team Fortress 2. It's pure fun. And can be played in short play-sessions.

As some people have recommended, DoW2 might be a bit of a stretch of what you're asking here, but the single player at least has a bit of the RPG-elements you might want. Action in this game is really visceral and satisfying. As good as any FPS out there.
    So get DoW2 regardless :)

A PC classic you say? Have you played Sacrifice? Get it from Good old games for dirt cheap.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    snip

That's the setting.

:( I wish I had noticed that setting.

Shens on