As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Washington State Senate salutes Mike, Jerry, PAX

mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER]Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in PAX Archive
Source: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Resolutions/8640-Honoring%20Child%27s%20Play.pdf

SENATE RESOLUTION
By Senators Jarrett, McAuliffe, and Fraser

WHEREAS, The greater Seattle area is home to over 45 video game companies, making the video game industry in Washington one of the largest in the nation; and

WHEREAS, Jerry Holkins, a comic writer, and Mike Krahulik, a cartoonist and artist, both originally from Spokane, Washington, collaborated to create an online comic about video games called Penny Arcade in the fall of 1998; and

WHEREAS, Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik recently celebrated the comic's 10th anniversary; and
WHEREAS, In 2004, Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik launched the first annual Penny Arcade Expo, a gaming festival in Bellevue, Washington; and

WHEREAS, By 2008, the Penny Arcade Expo has grown to become the largest game convention in the United States, with over 58,500 video game enthusiasts attending the Penny Arcade Expo at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center in August 2008; and

WHEREAS, The Penny Arcade Expo attracts thousands of tourists from around the globe to visit the city of Seattle while attending the convention, and has served to further reinforce Seattle's status as a leading locale of the game industry; and

WHEREAS, In 2003, Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik created the Child's Play Charity, an organization which raises contributions of money and toys to donate to Children's Hospitals worldwide; and

WHEREAS, Child's Play Charity has raised over 4.5 million dollars for sixty different Children's Hospitals since it was established, including Washington's own Seattle Children's and Sacred Heart Children's Hospitals;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, That the Washington State Senate officially recognize the accomplishments of Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik in becoming widely accepted leaders in the computer and video game industries, encouraging industry growth through scholarships, and advancing Washington State as a hub of the gaming industry through the presence of Penny Arcade Expo; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the Washington State Senate honor Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik for their hard work and dedication to improving the lives of hospitalized children worldwide through their creation and continued work with Child's Play Charity; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That copies of this resolution be immediately transmitted by the Secretary of the Senate to Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik.

I, Thomas Hoemann, Secretary of the Senate,
do hereby certify that this is a true and
correct copy of Senate Resolution 8640,
adopted by the Senate
March 5, 2009

THOMAS HOEMANN
Secretary of the Senate
OK, so they were mostly bestowing honor because of Child's Play, but still . . .
To steal someone else's comment: BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, this is awesome.

MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
mspencer on

• Options
    sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's awesome.

WHEREAS, They rock so hard.

sum10fishy on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that they are coolness personified and we luvs them.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, screw the hoodie... I'd totally buy a shirt that had a copy of this proclamation on it, especially if the proclamation was written with a quill pen on parchment paper.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow...so awesome!

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that video games are not entirely made of evil after all.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yay, congrats you guys!

MeeOk on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2009
    dude how did you even find that

edit: nevermind i guess everyone seems to have picked it up.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Woot! Way to go!

R-e-s-p-e-c-t!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    dude how did you even find that

edit: nevermind i guess everyone seems to have picked it up.
    You can't keep any secrets from the internet.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is so great! It has completely made my day! Yay PA!!!!!!!

Nijhazer wrote: »
    You know, screw the hoodie... I'd totally buy a shirt that had a copy of this proclamation on it, especially if the proclamation was written with a quill pen on parchment paper.

I want one!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There is a larger thread in SE++ about this.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=84743

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    So it's basically the same thing plus "cocks dicks lol" circlejerk?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Probably. I posted in the thread even though I can't normally post in SE++ without being destroyed.

They're a bunch of elitists over there.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They deserve it. No doubt a certain former lawyer from the state of Florida who has the initials JT is having a screaming fit right now and is petitioning for WA to be annexed by Canada. The loon.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    turkeymerkinturkeymerkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does this count as a ding? Socially levelling up?

Gratz anyway.

turkeymerkin on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wonder what mike and jerry think about this. I mean, I don't remember E3 ever doing a charity or getting positive recognition. I hope this will only have positive benefits.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I would buy one :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Now it does need one thing at the bottom...

P.S. Jack Thompson is still barred from practicing law.

There... perfect.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mentok1982 wrote: »

Probably. I posted in the thread even though I can't normally post in SE++ without being destroyed.

SE++ is a petting zoo for trolls.

I heard about this resolution last night when my wife called me at work. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't on my radar as I'm on the distribution list for all scheduled public hearings of legislation. However, I'm sure there was no hearing for this because there's nothing binding in it.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Poor Mike Kra-hoo-lick... Such a difficult name to pronounce.

That was pretty cool. I am glad I watched it.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »

I would buy one :D

This is a pretty awesome idea. I'm very glad that much of the focus on this is Child's Play. Granted Penny-Arcade is awesome, but what everyone does every year for Child's Play is so very worthy of the attention.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    mentok1982 wrote: »

Ha ha ha, oh wow!

A duck! on
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, 45 Game companies?
    I didn't know we had *that* many.

Congrats Mike and Jerry!

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
This discussion has been closed.