As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why are people so dumb?

• Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You're all going downtown

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just wanted to say you're all going downtown it's okay

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One morning I while I rushed to the print shop to pick up a project I'd sent, I stopped in at the bank a block away just to deposit a check and make sure my balance was alright.

I guess at some point after completing my transaction I completely forgot to get my card from the machine even with the beeping it was no-doubt emitting to warn me. It wasn't until I got my print that I found out my ATM/Debit card was missing so I charged it on my Visa and ran back to the bank to retrieve it if possible.

The woman at the desk when I walked in saw the distress on my face and asked if there was a problem. I explained that I left my card in the machine and if they had retrieved it. She told me she'd check, as the ATM just sucks up un-claimed cards and dumps them in a bin. She came back and asked my name and birthdate and then gave me back the card and everything was cool.

I was so relieved.

Thank you Sovereign Bank in downtown Boston, you are a lifesaver.

A similar situation happened to me a few years back. I left the card in the ATM machine and was headed to the next town over to go see a movie, oblivious to what I had done. Right before I get to the edge of my town the car next to me starts honking. I look over and there's a young guy holding my debit card against his window and I slam on the brakes and whip into a parking lot. He pulls up and we roll our windows down and he said he saw me drive off without it. I thanked him profusely and he drove off.

Thank you, random nice dude.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That shit happens to me all the time! People going "OH! Your card!" or reminding me I forgot something on a counter.

I am forgetful.

You know who really sucks though? Customers.

These older ladies always feel it's necessary to tell me how handsome I am. Like, all the damn time.

Damnit older-ladies! Just buy some damn shoes!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    bluefoxicybluefoxicy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That shit happens to me all the time! People going "OH! Your card!" or reminding me I forgot something on a counter.

I am forgetful.

You know who really sucks though? Customers.

These older ladies always feel it's necessary to tell me how handsome I am. Like, all the damn time.

Damnit older-ladies! Just buy some damn shoes!

Like 35-ish single moms "this is kind of creepy but I'm sure some frat boy will be following you home by the end of the day" older ladies, or like "holy shit you could be my grandma's gramma!" older ladies?

bluefoxicy on
    People call me Wood Man, 'cause I always got wood.
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    that happened to me when I worked at barnes & noble a lot -- even more than gamestop, surprisingly enough

one time I mildly corrected a dude who misquoted star wars in my presence and he monopolized my register for like ten minutes marvelling at the fact that I actually liked star wars; evidently, I don't look like a star wars fan (still don't even know what that could ever mean)

my manager was standing behind him staring at me and stifling laughter throughout, but he didn't interrupt

this taught me never to reveal geeky secrets to strangers

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I once made the mistake of revealing to a coworker that I played WoW, back when I worked at Best Buy.

For the next eight months I could not get rid of him. He was following me around everywhere, like a puppy.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dely Apple wrote: »
    I don't understand what you just wrote

was that about a poster here killing a student for bagels because if so you just became an accessory

Vlcsnap-264502.jpg

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    I once made the mistake of revealing to a coworker that I played WoW, back when I worked at Best Buy.

For the next eight months I could not get rid of him. He was following me around everywhere, like a puppy.

I submit that WOW is a disease. Possibly worse than Cancer. Or AIDS.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bluefoxicy wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also, newer people use silpats for cutting boards at my school and I want to murder them

Isn't that why you guys buy those extra good knives? I thought it was for murdering the ignorant fucks. It's why I order all the acid for the lab and keep a supersack of quicklime handy.

god I wish

the amount of staggeringly stupid shit I see from other students just makes me wish I had some quicklime

Wait I'm having a hard time making food come out edible, and you've got culinary school students that can't take a pointy object and a blunt object and figure out which one's the knife and which one goes in their ass?

... well I WAS considering going to school to learn how to cook but... maybe I'll survive better on my own...

Ok, I am also in a culinary program and just because there are idiots there does not mean its a bad school. I have noticed that most of the idiots are high school graduates who think "Man, I dont want to do real work. I know! Ill go to culinary school and just make food all day! Kick ass!" and then they pay the absurd tuition (unless they go to a community college I guess) and drop out in like 2 quarters. The people who are actually learning from these classes actually do well.

So seriously, dont like the idiotic high school graduates turn you away from culinary. If you have the money goin to culinary can help you skip the years of on the job training you'd need to start at a decent position in a restaurant.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dely Apple wrote: »
    I don't understand what you just wrote

was that about a poster here killing a student for bagels because if so you just became an accessory

Marky Mark with a gun.

Goddamn you, now I have to watch it.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Like 35-ish single moms "this is kind of creepy but I'm sure some frat boy will be following you home by the end of the day" older ladies, or like "holy shit you could be my grandma's gramma!" older ladies?

We're talking ages 60-90 here.

Nannas and Gramgrams here.

I'm not actually put-off by it. I'm flattered and complimented. It's just funny how the only time a lady tells me how good-looking I am it is either when I am in a relationship with them or they are at least old enough to be my mother.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This talk of culinary school sounds an awful lot like art college.

I dated an animation major there. She could not draw to save her life. I kept telling her to go to the life drawing sessions on the weekends to draw naked people and get her anatomy down but she couldn't sit there for more than 2 minutes before getting embarrassed and leaving under some excuse. I wonder what she's doing now, actually.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    how do you major in animation and not know how to draw

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    how do you major in animation and not know how to draw

She really liked cartoons and she figured the school was gonna teach her how to draw I guess?

I mean, she wasn't doing stick-figures but her figures looked like poorly-traced Kim Possible fanart. She held a pencil like she was trying to make as thick and dark a line as possible, which meant all her linework was wobbly and unnatural-looking.

Think of that kid in elementary school who was pretty good at drawing cartoon characters on his/her notebook. She was at about that level.

I'm pretty-sure she only went to art school because she thought it was going to be easy. It should be noted that her older sister also went to this school as did her twin sister, with whom she shared a room.

I hope for her sake she has grown up since then. Her older sister was a bisexual-until-graduation pothead who switched majors on a weekly basis and did all her work last-minute. I'm shocked she graduated. Her twin, though socially inept when I knew her, seemed to be the only one with real talent. She was in media and preforming arts and directed plays.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lardalish wrote: »

Ok, I am also in a culinary program and just because there are idiots there does not mean its a bad school. I have noticed that most of the idiots are high school graduates who think "Man, I dont want to do real work. I know! Ill go to culinary school and just make food all day! Kick ass!"

... they think cooking isn't work. *tries to hold back laughter* *shoots soda out of nose* pffhahahahahahahahahahahaa....

I can't even get eggs right consistently, come on XD Bread is like the hardest thing to do in the universe!

Seriously though, in high school, we had a 3 year culinary arts program. We had a restaurant in the school, actually had pretty good food. There were two full kitchens and a fully stocked walk-in behind it... there was more space that I didn't know what it was around there, which may have been even more kitchens. I recall doing some IT work in one of them, but don't remember what for, I think I was fixing the restaurant's til so they could charge people for food again... broken network adapter.

I really wish I could go back to high school and take that. They don't offer such a thing in college, you have to get a master's degree in chefology with a minor in bakery for like a zillion dollars if you want them to teach you to make bacon come out not-burnt. I live alone, do you know what it's like learning to cook? I eat marginally better slop each day, once in a while I even have something I'd chance to share with other people without fear of them dying before swallowing the first bite!

The only thing I can really make fantastic is beer, mead, and wine. Which is relatively useless.

bluefoxicy on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only thing I can really make fantastic is beer, mead, and wine. Which is relatively useless.

you take that back right now

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This talk of culinary school sounds an awful lot like art college.

I dated an animation major there. She could not draw to save her life. I kept telling her to go to the life drawing sessions on the weekends to draw naked people and get her anatomy down but she couldn't sit there for more than 2 minutes before getting embarrassed and leaving under some excuse. I wonder what she's doing now, actually.

The girl I'm currently attempting to get to go out with me (platonic, I don't do relationships but she's actually really awesome and I could use more friends) is an artist. It's really, really cute. She can just draw, or paint, she can play various instruments... and then she busts out the Playstation 3 or her pink DS. <3~

I live a block and a half from an art school. I live like 6 blocks from one of the best music schools in the country. These things happen once in a while. Funny for an IT guy huh?

bluefoxicy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

You have to eat eventually!

bluefoxicy on
  • Options
    iplaybassiplaybass Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

no goddamn shit

I respect people who even know how to pour a goddamn beer

if you can make beer, let alone fantastic beer, it's sexual favor time.

iplaybass on
    fsradiosig.jpg
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Blue Fox Icy, if you like this chick you gotta go for it. Just lay it out there. Be like "Hey, listen. Wanna go on a date sometime? Like out to a nice dinner or a day-trip or something?"

I can smell the nerdfear on you when you use the "I don't do relationships" excuse. That's something someone only says when they are either getting tons of NSA action or they are morbidly afraid of rejection.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    iplaybass wrote: »

no goddamn shit

I've been wanting to make beer and mead for a long time now but have kept putting it off due to money, etc. Can you give me any pointers? Mainly, what's a good place to buy the stuff for a first timer? Not just the beer kit itself but the containers, etc.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    iplaybass wrote: »

no goddamn shit

Basic brewery is easy enough, it's an exercise in discipline. Rack things, sanitize things, keep to the recipe at hand. If you keep things sanitized and away from oxygen (aside from initial aeration when you're trying to kickstart fermentation); rehydrate your yeast as you're supposed to; make a starter when you can; and give the beer enough time to ferment, clear, and carbonate properly; then the beer will come out pretty much as it should.

I recommend Northern Brewer's basic british bitter extract kit (or all-grain if you want to pull one of the all-grain-in-a-bag tricks) if you want to get started with that. If you follow the directions it comes out as pretty much a balanced light (3.2% alcohol) beer, but it's all-malt (bud light is mostly rice sugar, no flavor; Miller and Coors are corn sugar), which means it has good body and some actual flavor to it.

There's a book called "Designing Great Beers" out there that teaches you how to come up with your own recipes. I play that game with mead (because, you know, honey and yeast and the aromas and the chemicals the yeast make make sense to me; beer is harder to craft on your own), but with beer I stick to the recipe.

n1033398210_346204_1276405.jpg

With food, I stick to the recipe and I get horrible dry burnt soggy garbage... <_<; it took me forever to get pancakes to come out good (they still burn a little after the second one), and eggs to flip properly (I still just do sunny side up, they break a lot on me). Here is the extent of my kitchen mastery:

n1033398210_337497_3341600.jpg

n1033398210_313280_3791.jpg

Guh pancakes. They look nothing like Denny's or iHop pancakes ... or pancakes any other human being I've met outputs. :(

I guess some of it's my fault for experimenting though:

n1033398210_351742_507627.jpg

(I swear I only used 2 eggs)

bluefoxicy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    TWINS!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Those pancakes in the second picture look like the ones my grandmother makes: fucking delicious. And the rest of it doesn't look bad either. What's with the eggs on toast there at the bottom though, I've never seen that.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If my parents hadn't threatened to make me pay my way through culinary school if I chose that option I'd prolly be on the track to being a chef right now. Now it's relegated to what I will do when the mid-life crisis hits.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Moving the beer discussion into another thread.

bluefoxicy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Those pancakes in the second picture look like the ones my grandmother makes: fucking delicious. And the rest of it doesn't look bad either. What's with the eggs on toast there at the bottom though, I've never seen that.

I think maybe I'm just used to unrealistic expectations like if I make food it doesn't look like what I get at Denny's so holy crap it sucks.

But, then again, pancakes and eggs get cooked a lot because I can cook them edibly, which I can do because I cook them a lot.... same with hotdogs and beans...

n1033398210_191560_5595.jpg

bluefoxicy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pasta is easy, learn a few sauce recipes. That'll move ya in the right direction.

You can save the leftovers for later too.

Find a few less-common dishes to prepare as-well. One of my signatures is roast lamb with garlic and rosemary. You'd be surprised how few people have eaten well-cooked lamb and it's simple as anything to make.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pasta is easy, learn a few sauce recipes. That'll move ya in the right direction.

You can save the leftovers for later too.

Find a few less-common dishes to prepare as-well. One of my signatures is roast lamb with garlic and rosemary. You'd be surprised how few people have eaten well-cooked lamb and it's simple as anything to make.

I hate spaghetti and lazagna and manicotti. I've actually had a girl run away from me crying because she tried flirting with me by talking about how good she can cook italian, and my knee-jerk reaction was "eww, no such thing." I think it broke her brain thinking someone could just ... not like Italian food.

I love lamb. @_@ I've been thinking about killing a deer to reduce my food expense, because venison is good too. I mean, I pay people to kill the meat for me anyway right? Might as well get my hands dirty... ugh... Vinny says the first time I shoot something I'll probably vomit from the shock, or have a serious emotional breakdown.

bluefoxicy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fuck you Icy-Blue Fox! Fuck you to hell!
    EveryoneLikesItalian.gif

TankHammer on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't trust people who don't like Italian food

They're hiding something

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They're liars or vampires is what it is.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fuck you Icy-Blue Fox! Fuck you to hell!
    EveryoneLikesItalian.gif

... great, I'm a living reference to a Penny Arcade comic.

bluefoxicy on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm guessing blue fox is new

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Blue Fox, you need an avatar. Here, I made you one.
    bluefoxicy.gif

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He's less than a month old. But he brews beer, he's cool in my book.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm not actually put-off by it. I'm flattered and complimented. It's just funny how the only time a lady tells me how good-looking I am it is either when I am in a relationship with them or they are at least old enough to be my mother.

Maybe you're just a really old-fashioned kind of good-looking. Do you ever look in the mirror and mistake yourself for Humphrey Bogart? Because that dude looked like somebody's drunk uncle, and he got all kinds of old-timey tail.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jedoc wrote: »

Maybe you're just a really old-fashioned kind of good-looking. Do you ever look in the mirror and mistake yourself for Humphrey Bogart? Because that dude looked like somebody's drunk uncle, and he got all kinds of old-timey tail.

Humphrey Bogart was also charming as fuck, that might have had something to do with it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jedoc wrote: »

I'd post a pic, but I don't have anything of me recently (post-shaving of the goatee) that doesn't have terrible lighting issues. I think you may be onto something though, as I am a near-identical copy of my grandfather when he was in his 20s and he was a serious ladies-man from what I've been told.

It's also possible that I am "charming as fuck" mostly when I am waiting on customers or representing a business and perhaps a few notches down when representing myself.

TankHammer on