As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Nutrition Thread VI

SliderSlider Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
There, better?

Slider on

• Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just completed my a 6.5 mile run this morning around Green Lake, and I'm really feeling good about my chances for a half marathon in June.

Anyone here do a half before? What was your best way of training for it? So far I'm planning on just gradually building the miles and doing a few hills to help build the wind.

Matt_S on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey I just rode my bike halfway around Greenlake!

....to buy donuts and comics.

Anyway, my workout yesterday:

Squats 3X5 @ 140#
    Press 3X5 @ 70#
    Deadlifts 1X5 @ 190#
    Dips to failure

My planned workout monday
    Squats 3X5 @ 145#
    Bench Press 3X5 @ 105# (been stuck here for too long)
    Power Cleans 3X5 (never done these before; my gym is so crowded I wasn't sure I could safely do it. We'll see what weights I get up to)

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Matt_S wrote: »
    Just completed my a 6.5 mile run this morning around Green Lake, and I'm really feeling good about my chances for a half marathon in June.

Anyone here do a half before? What was your best way of training for it? So far I'm planning on just gradually building the miles and doing a few hills to help build the wind.

I would like to do the Capitol City Marathon in May, but I sprained my ankle last week and have yet to start training.

Although, I'm only going to do a half, so I should be fine.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Joe Chemo wrote: »

Squats 3X5 @ 140#
    Press 3X5 @ 70#
    Deadlifts 1X5 @ 190#
    Dips to failure

Squats 3X5 @ 145#
    Power Cleans 3X5 (never done these before; my gym is so crowded I wasn't sure I could safely do it. We'll see what weights I get up to)

How many dips can you do? ;)

Slider on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Joe Chemo wrote: »

Squats 3X5 @ 140#
    Press 3X5 @ 70#
    Deadlifts 1X5 @ 190#
    Dips to failure

Squats 3X5 @ 145#

How many dips can you do? ;)

I was feeling pretty good about myself, pumping out bodyweight dips on the nautilus machine, so I switched to real dips... and did 3. Fuuuuuuuuck

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Instead of being laziest man on campus, I've done 45-60 minutes of cardio every other day since sunday. Just got back today and did 45 minutes and "6 miles" on the elliptical, feel pretty good about that. However, That makes each mile 7.5 minutes, which I don't think I could do on a treadmill (not for more than one mile anyway). Is counting distance on an elliptical basically useless?

And yes, I know ellipticals are for girls and old folks, not college-aged men. Sue me.

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ellipticals are perfectly valid if you're trying to stay away from high-impact cardio. Also take a look at rowing and biking.

And yeah, I don't really think elliptical distance has any real-world equivelant.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    NesbitNesbit Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Alright about a month ago I had shoulder surgery. Now with an increase in mobility and some strength gains I am motivated to start workingout my legs again. As a result of the surgery though I am still really limited in what I can do. Riding a bike is obvious and I know some good workouts for it. What I would like to know is if there are any good workouts for the legs that are based around leg press, leg extensions, and hamstring curls ( I don't yet have the range of motion to do squats but I could do these three)?

Nesbit on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nesbit wrote: »
    Alright about a month ago I had shoulder surgery. Now with an increase in mobility and some strength gains I am motivated to start workingout my legs again. As a result of the surgery though I am still really limited in what I can do. Riding a bike is obvious and I know some good workouts for it. What I would like to know is if there are any good workouts for the legs that are based around leg press, leg extensions, and hamstring curls ( I don't yet have the range of motion to do squats but I could do these three)?

You could always do split squat jumps or just lunges, forward/backward.

For hamstrings, I would recommend this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdv82EAUUTQ

Slider on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I understand that it's recommended that you switch between cardio and weight lifting every other day. Why is this and is it harmful to do both the same day?

it's hard for me to justify going out to the gym only to do a couple reps on 8 or so weight machines. i'm not looking to bulk up significantly and don't care much about the speed of results.

iowa on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do an hour of strength twice a week and after that I do between 30 and 60 minutes of cardio depending on how much time I have. It hasn't been a problem for me but that's about as much as I know on that.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I've been eating a lot of chicken as it's a great, cheap protein source...but eating it bland is getting pretty old.

Any recommended spices I can add to flavor it up some for wraps (what kind of spices are used for 'spicy chicken sandwiches and tacos, anyways?) or, maybe a recipe for something with rice and beans maybe? Could be something store-bought or homemade.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I toss my chicken on my george foreman grill and usually just season it with some garlic and pepper.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Frank's Red Hot Sauce is delicious for making spicy chicken. Marinate it for a few hours (or overnight), throw it on the grill or george foreman and brush with more sauce as needed. The hot sauce has 0 calories and 0 carbs, so it's extra good for livening up the chicken if you're trying to lose weight.

If you've got a costco membership, you can get a 1 gallon container for like $8

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I recommend (salt-free) Cavender's Greek Seasoning for all your chicken needs.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    iowa wrote: »
    I understand that it's recommended that you switch between cardio and weight lifting every other day. Why is this and is it harmful to do both the same day?

it's hard for me to justify going out to the gym only to do a couple reps on 8 or so weight machines. i'm not looking to bulk up significantly and don't care much about the speed of results.

You're using different muscle groups and allowing the other muscles to rest. Something like that.

But, yeah, on my off days I'll do a little bit of cardio and abs. I don't really like running on the same day, but it's possible.

Slider on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

There's your problem; work on squats and other freeweight compound lifts and you really won't want to run on the same day.

If you do cardio and weights on the same day, definitely do weights first. Don't want to tire yourself out and then hurt yourself lifting.

@Slider: Maybe paste in the OP from the last thread?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Jagged WafflesJagged Waffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Do you have a goal time for the half, or are you aiming just to finish? How many miles a week are you doing?

Jagged Waffles on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks guys.

is there anything that's better to drink than water while i'm running? It probably doesn't really matter. I looked at the label on powerade and it appears to be trash.

iowa on
  • Options
    SosSos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks guys.

is there anything that's better to drink than water while i'm running? It probably doesn't really matter. I looked at the label on powerade and it appears to be trash.

I found this recipe on the internet. It is what I make for runs every now and then:

1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup orange juice (or any fruit juice really, I usually buy what the produce department is about to throw away)
    1/4 cup hot water
    2 tablespoons lemon juice (some juices are better to use lime juice)
    3 1/2 cups cold water

In a quart container dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water. Add the remaining ingredients and the cold water. The drink contains about 50 calories and 110 mg of sodium per cup, approximately the same as for most sports drinks.

I have a bunch of glass gallon jugs from making cider that I do this with.

Sos on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's a whole lot of sugar. Just drink water.

Lail on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think you're missing a portioning step there Sos.

1/4 cup of sugar has about 200 calories.

Djeet on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm going for my first half marathon next month. I've been using personalrunningtrainer.com mp3s as my program, although I've had to condense it slightly.

Simply put it's a program of 3 runs a week, with a day of intervals, a day of tempo (start slow, finish fast) and a long easy run. It was pretty cheap to get but you could easily replicate it the schedule on it's own, I just find having the times called out means I'm more likely to finish it. My only problem is eating enough to keep up with the program :(

Rook on
  • Options
    TheBenjomonsterTheBenjomonster Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I agree HFCS is something to be entirely avoided, but plain-ol corn is good for you. It's high in fiber and Vitamins B and C, the miniscule amount of fat in corn is mostly poly and un-saturated. Another thing to remember is that the corn you see in the produce section (sweet corn) is a completely different species from that which is used to make HFCS, or in another case, biofuels. That type (dent corn) has literally no nutritional value.

and yea... drink filtered water every day. It is good for you.

TheBenjomonster on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not so sure i would agree with corn being good for you

Not at all

See: King Corn

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Djeet wrote: »
    I think you're missing a portioning step there Sos.

1/4 cup of sugar has about 200 calories.

You are right about the sugar but that recipe makes a little over 4 cups.

200/4 = 50

But in reality it contains a little >50 since orange juice and lemon juice contain calories. So about 50 per cup, as I originally said.

And hey, if you're trying to lose weight you should just drink water. I'm not losing weight. I'm trying to gain weight. I run 15 miles a week among other exercises. The extra sodium/calories are good for me.

Sos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not so sure i would agree with corn being good for you

Not at all

See: King Corn

I've been meaning to watch that because as of now I eat at least a cup of cornmeal a day and eat corn on the cob a lot during the summer. I hear that corn is unhealthy, but ignoring HFCS is it really all that bad for you on its own?

Nutritiondata.com says it's fairly good with the stats it lays down.

Sos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Even if you're trying to gain weight, is sugar ever good for you? There are far better ways to increase your caloric intake then by dumping sugar in your water.

Lail on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    again, the example in King Corn was not Sweet Corn. The example in that case was Dent Corn, the type used for biofuels and HFCS. By the same approach, one could argue that soybeans aren't good for you because some varieties of soybean are grown in huge monocultures (much like Dent Corn) for hydrogenated oils and thickeners.

Sweet Corn and Dent corn are two different subspecies of Maize. I earlier said the two were entirely different species, which isn't entirely accurate. But they are certainly not the same thing. America's catastrophe involving corn is 100% Dent Corn, and yes Dent Corn's production/distribution and processing/consumption are catastrophes of an unmatched level.

TheBenjomonster on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    oh

well isn't that the kind that is in most of our food stuffs

but sweet corn, the grilling kind, is the less terrible kind

ok, thank you for clearing that up

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yeah, Dent Corn is in tons of stuff, most foods (HFCS), plastics, cosmetics, you name it. It's a real economic and dietary problem.

Sweet Corn is delicious, somewhat nutritious, and totally not a global pandemic.

TheBenjomonster on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lail wrote: »
    Even if you're trying to gain weight, is sugar ever good for you? There are far better ways to increase your caloric intake then by dumping sugar in your water.

Oh shit man, 50 calories in my 3000 calorie diet is going to spell the end of me. It may not be good for me but it sure as hell isn't bad for me. It's a very easy way to give my body a boost mid run.

It's flavored water. It's like criticizing sweet tea or lemonade.

Sos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    but sweet tea and lemonade are bad for you, there is like, as much sugar as soda in those

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm thinking of starting Creatine for the first time. My roommate who bodybuilds says to do Creatine Ethyl Ester, but it seems this is new, and has a lot of various research on it. Is it worth it?

limester816 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    eh just go with monohydrate stuff, it is cheap as hell

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sos wrote: »

Oh shit man, 50 calories in my 3000 calorie diet is going to spell the end of me. It may not be good for me but it sure as hell isn't bad for me. It's a very easy way to give my body a boost mid run.

But when you're doing things like pouring sugar into water, at the end of the day, how much of your 3000 calories is coming from sugar or other unhealthy choices? Now, it may work for your diet, but in a nutrition thread, I don't think it's best to suggest water loaded with sugar (some are here because they don't know any better).

Anyway, the first guy asked for something healthy to drink while running. You're suggesting sugar-water. I'm suggesting water.

Lail on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sos wrote: »

But when you're doing things like pouring sugar into water, at the end of the day, how much of your 3000 calories is coming from sugar or other unhealthy choices? Now, it may work for your diet, but in a nutrition thread, I don't think it's best to suggest water loaded with sugar (some are here because they don't know any better).

Anyway, the first guy asked for something healthy to drink while running. You're suggesting sugar-water. I'm suggesting water.

Maybe in a weight loss thread it would have been inappropriate. This thread is Fitness and Nutrition.

The guy asked for something healthy to drink while running. If you're losing weight then it is a nobrainer that water wins (zero calories), but if you're a long distance runner then something closer to the fluid in your body has a number of benefits nutritionally. This includes my homemade sports drink.

As for your insinuations I think you know where you stand.

Sos on
  • Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Do you have a goal time for the half, or are you aiming just to finish? How many miles a week are you doing?

For now, I'm aiming to finish. I was sick for most of all last week so I was out of my running regimen, but I normally get about 12 - 15 miles in per week.

On another note, did my first Mt. Si hike of the year today (since September). My legs are tuckered out. I have a goal of climbing Mt. Rainier in Summer 2011 so I have a lot more of these hikes ahead of me.

Matt_S on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What the general consensus on eating before lifting in the morning? I lifted for the first time in a couple year today, getting up after around 7 hours of sleep and maybe 9 hours of nothing to eat. It went fairly well, and I had a protein drink right after and them my usual breakfast, but I can't help but think that lifting after fasting for 9 hours or so while on a restricted calorie diet is probably not a recipe for success. Still, the idea of eating right before lifting isn't so great either.

What do you people who start your day with a workout usually do?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm thinking of starting Creatine for the first time. My roommate who bodybuilds says to do Creatine Ethyl Ester, but it seems this is new, and has a lot of various research on it. Is it worth it?

Yeah, like Shaz said, monohydrate is actually backed by more research and is generally cheaper. I think ethyl ester is just supposed to absorb more/quicker or some nonsense. But its essentially the same stuff.

So if you have to pay more for it, don't bother.

Brucelee41042 on
This discussion has been closed.