As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cookie/Biscuit Brigade Prime

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in PAX Archive
I guess it's that time--prime time for cookies!

4053357487_e4b58467bb.jpg

Cookie (or Biscuit depending on what side of the pond you're on) Brigade East!

What is it?

The Cookie Brigade is just a bunch of peeps who like baking so much that they bring cookies and other baked goodies to PAX to give away to other expo go-ers. We also collect donations for Child's Play if people feel like donating, and when PAX winds down we hand over any donations to the Child's Play people.

Please note: We don't sell cookies for Child's Play, we're just people giving out sweets because we're friendly like that, and people can give us donations for Child's Play because they're generous like that (and we're convenient people to give that money to...y'know, since we're walking around and were going to turn donations in to the Child's Play person at the end anyway).

How do I participate?
You can help bake, help distribute, or both! Sign-ups are pretty loose because this is all a voluntary thing, and you can post in this thread, in the Google Group, PM, or use this website. The important bit is to get your contact info out so that you can receive more details later.

Do you guys really raise any money?

Yes, yes we do! In the past 2.5 years since this has started, we've collected approximately $13,000 for Child's Play, and it's all been from you guys! You're awesome! :D

Organizational Stuff

Closer to PAX Prime, we'll e-mail/PM/get a hold of you (this is why the sign-up contact info is important!) information about when and where we're meeting up to drop off/pick-up cookies and donations, get your Cookie Brigade buttons, and all that other stuff.

In the meantime, discussion can be found at the Google Group or you can post questions and about your eagerness to bake delicious things here

A Brief History Bonus

This was posted by Alyssa in the Cookie Brigade (CB) Google Group and she said I could share it, because it's a really awesome way to understand the CB a bit better:
"Allow me to introduce myself, for those of you who have never met me and don't know me. In 2007, I attended my first PAX. It was AWESOME. I am a shy, shy person, so in order to *bribe* people into being my friends, I baked cookies and took them with me to PAX to distribute for fun [...]. BrokenAngel was
another individual who - independent of me - did the same thing in BYOC and other places.

I found that, every time I gave someone a cookie, they tended to want to reciprocate by giving me something in return (as is somewhat typical in the ever-loving, ever-giving PAX community). This puzzled me, and as I
planned on returning in 2008 (not knowing my job would change and prevent me from being able to), BrokenAngel, myself and a few other forumers decided that it would be cool to bake cookies, distribute them, and gain donations for Child's Play.

And I think this is what the Cookie Brigade is all about. Giving something to PAX-ers, and PAX-ers giving something back in return."

Requests for particularly cookie types are also welcome here :)

Hypatia on

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I could help distribute. How's that box design for pass-outs going anyways? Also, for those baking, soft baked cookies are AWESOME! I'll donate to anyone who carries them, well until my funds run out that is ;p

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am so in on this as long as I am going to Prime. I love baking (MANLY BAKING!) and I think it would be great. I could see if I can make up recipes for "gourmet" cookies. Like some Aztec chocolate chip cookies (ginger, cinnamon, chipotle, and chocolate chips) Also, I really don't like nuts in my cookies, so I'd be the source for allergy people.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    cuennascuennas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    well im going to prime and i would def like to help the cause if you would let me

cuennas on
  • Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do you guys ever have Dickerdoodles? Cause I would pay $10 for one.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm... you know, I don't think we've ever actually had Dickerdoodles! We wouldn't be able to make them too obscene because of the little chibis running around PAX, but I'm sure some Child's Play loving baker might be able to make us dickerdoodles for those who desire them!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    oxfroggyoxfroggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I may want in on this. To toot my own horn, I am a fabulous baker. Maybe butter cookies? It depends on how much money I have around pax time.

oxfroggy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    RE: Dickerdoodles, you could always make long cookie bars with rounded ends and call them Dickerdoodles. Though I'm guessing this isn't a viable option for some reason I do not understand.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In light of the recent Doctor Who episode, someone needs to bring some Jammy Dodgers!

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ElanoaElanoa Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The 2009 Rice Krispie Ninja must... make rice krispie treats.

Though I admit, it's really fun to yell, "Enforcer!" and then shove food at them.

Elanoa on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm... you know, I don't think we've ever actually had Dickerdoodles! We wouldn't be able to make them too obscene because of the little chibis running around PAX, but I'm sure some Child's Play loving baker might be able to make us dickerdoodles for those who desire them!

This has always surprised me. I always expected someone to make them, I guess. Being a baker last year, I guess I have no excuse. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you guys make a giant Dickerdoodle, I bet you could auction it off or something.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dya is in your base, nomming all your cookies.

and requesting oatmeal raisin. yum. so much <3 for you guys, you rock.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That thing I said about gourmet cookies, I have an example.

dya wants oatmeal raisin, I could make oatmeal craisin or oatmeal scotchies (oatmeal with butterscotch chips).

Also, personally, I am a whore for ricotta cookies. My Sicilian great aunt (dad's godmother) makes them all the time for me. OMNOMNOMNOM.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I decided last year that I'm bending the rules a bit to make all sorts of confections worked out a lot better for me. If I recall correctly the turtles didn't even make it to where I handed stuff off to 'official' cookie brigade distribution. So I'm thinking along those lines again this year. I was also considering Buckeyes (the powered up Reese's style candy, not the poisonous nut) but that might be annoying to have to keep explaining to non-Ohioans.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    *busts out grandma's recipes*

Let's see here...

Poodles
    Raspberry Squares
    Chocolate Chip
    Peanut butter Chip
    Date Cookies
    Molasses Cookies
    Whoopie Pies
    Etc Etc Etc

Though, I don't know how many I could bring, since they would have to go in my suitcase. =/

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not going to lie. The muffins from last year were like a personal visit from the taste fairy. Please bring more.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm...I might consider getting in on this for 2010. Anybody interested in cupcakes?

chicazul on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Something that I saw people talking about in another thread, "What would you do differently at PAX?", were meal replacement bars, like Clif or Larabars. Now I know that people like them and all, but would it be a bad idea to maybe develop and make our own PAX protein bars and meal replacement bars that are homemade, healthy, and taste better than cardboard?

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Something that I saw people talking about in another thread, "What would you do differently at PAX?", were meal replacement bars, like Clif or Larabars. Now I know that people like them and all, but would it be a bad idea to maybe develop and make our own PAX protein bars and meal replacement bars that are homemade, healthy, and taste better than cardboard?

Alton's got a good recipe for granola bars, I've made em before. Same ep has a protein bar recipe, but I can't vouch for that. Either way, they probably travel well...

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dickerdoodles for Child's Play. You know you want it to happen.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    chicazul wrote: »
    Hmm...I might consider getting in on this for 2010. Anybody interested in cupcakes?

I have never, in my whole life, said no to cake.

Anyone who does is a goddamn communist...erm, SILLY GOOSE! :D
    (unless you're allergic, full, overweight, or have an otherwise great excuse)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    chicazul wrote: »

I have never, in my whole life, said no to cake.

Anyone who does is a goddamn communist...erm, SILLY GOOSE! :D
    (unless you're allergic, full, overweight, or have an otherwise great excuse)

The cake..... you know, oh you most certainly know.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

The cake..... you know, oh you most certainly know.

That came up a lot when I did this for the Jonathan Coulton concert. This time I'll see if I can get around to decorating them all...

So many good ideas in this thread!

chicazul on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Alton's got a good recipe for granola bars, I've made em before. Same ep has a protein bar recipe, but I can't vouch for that. Either way, they probably travel well...

I've seen that episode. Do you think we could get ppl to try those recipes out and mess with the flavorings and stuff?

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I've seen that episode. Do you think we could get ppl to try those recipes out and mess with the flavorings and stuff?

I dunno, the protein one has tofu in it, that kinda scares me off taste testing on it. I'll give a few varieties of granola bar a shot though, I suppose. Any suggestions for substitutions?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Simply copied and pasted from other thread since it is more relevant in here:
    RE: Meal "replacement" bars, I'll bring this up with the Cookie Brigade and see if maybe we can get some recipes together for good bars to hand out if that is what you are looking for. Cuz if it's homemade, you're more likely to think it tastes delicious.

Hit backpacking forums up for these types of recipes.

Backpacker.com cooking forum has some good ones.

And why? Because backpackers are always looking for the best calorie / protein to weight for food. Cramming the most good to keep you going into the lightest thing possible.

One of my favorites: Blueberry Banana Energy Bars

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey everybody! I so haven't checked this in a while.

I'm disappointed to say it looks like I won't be at PAX Prime this year. We've been invited to a wedding in Hawaii in October, and would rather spend money on that, and possibly actually going to the Child's Play dinner in December.

In the months following last year's PAX Prime, we have had an amazing food-related revelation in our family: our one-year-old can't eat wheat OR dairy, and I can't eat corn. This means that regular cookies are out, and I also can't use conventional baking powder any more (its basically baking soda mixed with corn starch). I have been experimenting with many gluten & dairy free recipes to see if I can get yummy cookies, and the results have mostly been promising.

Closer to PAX, I will see if someone that lives close to me will be willing to take some cookies down to PAX to give to you guys. They will be gluten & dairy free, nut free, and some of them will be vegan as well (no egg). I will miss all of you and everything else there, but realistically it just doesn't work for us this year.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MegariaMegaria Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Aww, shucks, bubblegumnex. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it this year, financially. I'll make sure to send some muffins with someone who won't devour them on the way up if I can't.

Also, I second the importance of GF/DF cookies. A very kind Enforcer whose name I can't remember just about teared up when I mentioned I had GF cookies. I've a recipe that doesn't require any wonky flours or a magic hand and I'm happy to share if anyone else wishes to create it. :)

Megaria on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Eek, chibidani! Poor chibi =( We'll be thinking of you! If you make great GF cookies, that would definitely be awesome though!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    VonXWolfensteinVonXWolfenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love to bake and am really looking forward to baking for Child's Play. I am thinking about doing some of the standards, but also bringing some fruity pebble marshmallow treat squares or some other entertaining things.

VonXWolfenstein on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yummy, that sounds delicious!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Simply copied and pasted from other thread since it is more relevant in here:
    RE: Meal "replacement" bars, I'll bring this up with the Cookie Brigade and see if maybe we can get some recipes together for good bars to hand out if that is what you are looking for. Cuz if it's homemade, you're more likely to think it tastes delicious.

Hit backpacking forums up for these types of recipes.

Backpacker.com cooking forum has some good ones.

And why? Because backpackers are always looking for the best calorie / protein to weight for food. Cramming the most good to keep you going into the lightest thing possible.

One of my favorites: Blueberry Banana Energy Bars

Then there is that one guy who hiked only eating sticks of butter rolled in sugar. That may be more difficult to do for Cookie Brigade, though.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm kind of curious, what do people think of the idea of getting nicer official-ish looking pins like the Child's Play pins for the Cookie Brigade instead of buttons? The cost would be more so it'd really have to be a group effort, but it was just an idea because those Child's Play ones are really nice -- I'm not sure if they're this photodome process or something else. What do people generally think?

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, I think it depends on whether the potential for extra donations would be worth the cost I think... how much would pins vs. buttons cost?

If we could tell people a mandatory donation of X$ is required to get a pin, where X$ is some amount more than the cost of a pin, it would totally be worth it and awesome!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hm...I had actually been thinking of it more in terms of just having them for Cookie Brigade people, but I could also see giving them to people who donate big enough? I mean, not saying a minimum donation, but if anyone asks just saying, "Oh, we've been handing them out to people who go way overboard and donate $10" or something...? Just brainstorming :)

Hypatia on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Would love to be involved in this for Prime. I'm coming in from the UK, so will need to check the rules on transporting food into the US. I know it's all a bit complicated, so I'll check the regs.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Would love to be involved in this for Prime. I'm coming in from the UK, so will need to check the rules on transporting food into the US. I know it's all a bit complicated, so I'll check the regs.

I bet there would be a niche but generous market for Jaffa Cakes.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Id love to help out with the cookie brigade. im a culinary student here in seattle and it would be a fun experience. could also make cupcakes i worked at a local cupcake shop for sometime and well *has recipe ingrained in my brain*

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ah, I see now! Aye, that'd work well! Having a cookie brigadier exclusive identifier could be good potentially, I can see the benefit of that as long as people knew to look for us by the pin. I'd be game for such a thing!

Also, I'm totally psyched to see so many people wanting to bake this year! This is fantastic: and we can certainly use all the cookies/biscuits/cupcakes we can get! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    some one made bacon cookies last year. I would love to see those again although after two my belly was quite mad at me.

Eugal on
This discussion has been closed.