As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changes for PAX 2010 (and we need your help to spread the word)

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
I’ll be the first to say we were surprised at how quick 3-day badges sold out, especially since we got the green-light from the convention center to sell even more for 2010. But the reason we’re able to do that is because of a few changes:

1. Registration is at the Sheraton Hotel. That’s the one kitty-corner from the Cheesecake Factory. Yeah, I know that everyone pre-reg’d so you shouldn’t need to go there, but those that DO need it (international badges, will call, etc.) can find it there on the 2nd Floor.

2. There’s an additional satellite theatre (Pegasus Theatre, Seats 1,200), also at the Sheraton Hotel, right by Registration.

3. Do you remember the Pike Street Annex? They renovated and renamed it to The Conference Center, and we’re taking space there too (Mostly tabletop and a few other exhibitors)! You can access it via either street level or down a brand new escalator in the Expo Hall of the Convention Center.

4. The Expo Hall has expanded into Hall B, which for those of you who have been to PAX know as The Queue Room. The Queue Room has been shifted into Hall A (last year’s main theatre).

5. Now you’re probably thinking, wait – if the old Main Theatre is the new Queue Room, where’s the new Main Theatre? Well – this is the biggest change, which is that the Main Theatre is offsite. It’s a big deal to us, so I’m going to make it’s very own paragraph.

The Main Theatre

It’s not very far (5-6 minute walk – about the same as from Floor 6 to Floor 1), but it’s still offsite. It’s at the Benaroya Hall (where the Seattle Symphony plays!) on 3rd and Union, and besides being not-in-the-convention-center, there are a few things you need to know.

1. Since the Keynote will be at 10:30 AM on Friday, there will actually be TWO areas to lineup. One in the Convention Center by the expo hall, and one inside Benaroya Hall.

2. For those PAX Vets, you should know that each line up area in the morning will distribute 1,000 of the wristbands for the concerts on Friday and Saturday morning. (the wristbands get you into the concert first, after that it’s first-come first serve)

3. In order to avoid you walking down to the main theatre to find there is no more space, we have a special twitter account, just for you. @pax_lines will give up to the minute updates on the line status of the main theatre (e.g.: “There are 270 more spots available in the line.” And “Sorry, there is no more space in the line for the Keynote. Please do not come down here.”). There will be a display on the first floor of the convention center that will also be showing this feed. So again: FOLLOW @PAX_LINES

Supplemental Questions!:

Q: Btw, señor Khoo, any thoughts on bringing back GTA?
A: We have nothing to do with the Gamer Transit Authority. That was all community run.

Q: Am I and other awesome handicapable people allowed to skip the lines still? I foresee a huge issue trying to get to the new main hall. A short walk is not a short wheel.
A: Yup, just send me a note (rkhoo@penny-arcade.com ) and I’ll get you on the track to apply for a medical pass.

Q: Will the theatre be cleared out between events, or will it be (more than likely) mandatory to go to the keynote if you want to see the Gabe and Tycho Q&A?
A: Like previous years, the Keynote will roll directly into the Gabe/Tycho Q&A. There is another event right after that as well, but no worries – there are 15 minute breaks between all “back-to-back” events for people to clear out if they would like to.

Q: I'm only slightly familiar with downtown, but I'm pretty sure that this is NOT a 5-6 minute walk. More like 15-25 at a minimum depending on ability and conditions. Plus the walk back is uphill, not that easy for the handicapped or phisically unfit. I would suggest that somebody walk it though to see how long it takes. Try to go at an easy pace, don't rush it.
A: Nope. It’s 5-6 minutes from 3rd and Union to the entrance by the cheesecake factory. If you end up hitting every crosswalk at a bad time, it will take you 9 minutes. We have timed this no less than twenty times, both uphill and downhill.

Q: It is my assumption that the concerts will be at Benaroya as well. Is that correct?
A: Correct.

Q: Media.
A: Gets no special access to the main theatre.

Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• Options
    gerfiglmacgerfiglmac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like PAX will be bigger and better this year.
    Don't miss out if you haven't registered yet!

gerfiglmac on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    maybe writs bands for big things like Q&A and Keynote too?

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    It will be interesting herding thousands of people from the new Queue Room to Benaroya. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

I think he means the queue room is for PAX itself and the line inside of benaroya is for main theater.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited July 2010
    no no - there will be no herding. There are two queue areas. One is at the convention center. The other is inside the Benaroya.

edit: Yes, what BigRed said.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah excellent. Soon we will need to build PAX Centre, our own convention hall.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This will be interesting, but fun! It's all about fun, right? It's PAX world 1-2.

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Too funny! My office is across the street from Beneroya and we all use the Starbucks there.

...except I'll need to be shielded by fellow PAX attendees on Friday so my boss doesn't see me and try and get me to come back to work on my vacation!

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nevermind. question already answered by red. wasn't clear in Khoo's post.

kazuo on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So there's only going to be seating for the concerts? That's going to be a totally different vibe from the previous years concerts.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    kazuo, I think he means that there will be a lineup for PAX (expo hall, etc) and a lineup just for the keynote, instead of bundling them together.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    kbschmidkbschmid Calgary, ABRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome. I'm very excited!

@Khoo - have you got herding dogs with "Enforcer" shirts on to get us all there safely?

kbschmid on
    By day, a mild-mannered charity guy
    By night, a gamer.
    PAX Prime 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Google map of the locations.

Free to edit by everyone.

Heleor on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Too funny! My office is across the street from Beneroya and we all use the Starbucks there.

...except I'll need to be shielded by fellow PAX attendees on Friday so my boss doesn't see me and try and get me to come back to work on my vacation!

I think being in a crowd of 2500 people will help there :P

ashridah on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Something tells me comfy seats in the main theater will mean a lot more people sleeping xD

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    pagerunnerpagerunner Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Benaroya freakin' Hall. Now THAT actually made me laugh with glee.

Bumbershoot may have the Seattle Center, but we're going for the whole damn downtown core. WE SHALL PREVAIL.

pagerunner on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    proXimity wrote: »
    Something tells me comfy seats in the main theater will mean a lot more people sleeping xD

And a lot less ability to wander in and out at will.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So the main theater is 5 blocks away? Ugh... Yeah... Do not like.

The larger exhibit floor will be nice, considering I probably will be avoiding the main theater.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ashridah wrote: »
    I think being in a crowd of 2500 people will help there :P
    My colleagues will be thoroughly frightened. Every year they ask me "What's a PAX?" I hope I get to see the looks on their faces!

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Can somebody add the stuff from this google earth file to that map or vice versa?

You can view the map in google maps here

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this just gets bigger and bigger every year.

craaaaaazy!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Btw, señor Khoo, any thoughts on bringing back GTA?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Impressive Main Theatre is impressive! :D

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Can somebody add the stuff from this google earth file to that map or vice versa?

Preferably to Moe's map, it's spiffier. I would, but unfortunately I don't have access to Google Earth. :(

Heleor on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Am I and other awesome handicapable people allowed to skip the lines still? I foresee a huge issue trying to get to the new main hall. A short walk is not a short wheel.

parabola on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Will the theatre be cleared out between events, or will it be (more than likely) mandatory to go to the keynote if you want to see the Gabe and Tycho Q&A?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm looking forward to this. Essentially it gives us an excuse to wander more of downtown. :D

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    romulusnrromulusnr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Preferably to Moe's map, it's spiffier. I would, but unfortunately I don't have access to Google Earth. :(

Hi, I made a couple minor edits to Heleor's map. Seems to me simpler is better. No need to include every single bar, restaurant and hotel nearby since Google Maps always does that for you. Unless people have specific recommendations that PAXers would love.

romulusnr on
  • Options
    CougRonCougRon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm only slightly familiar with downtown, but I'm pretty sure that this is NOT a 5-6 minute walk. More like 15-25 at a minimum depending on ability and conditions. Plus the walk back is uphill, not that easy for the handicapped or phisically unfit. I would suggest that somebody walk it though to see how long it takes. Try to go at an easy pace, don't rush it.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking there probably isn't much choice. Benaroya hall is probably the only large venue within walking distance of the conference center that is suitable for what PAX needs. I've got a feeling though that I'm not going to be going to too many events in the main theater, I hope they don't have too much that I want to see in there. I wonder if there will be a shuttle back and forth...

CougRon on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm curious about the seating in Benaroya Hall as well. I'm mostly wondering if there will be any standing room up front (doubt it unless the seats are removable) or if everybody will need to be seated. My team really needs to be able to take these things into account for filming purposes. Especially if/how tripods/monopods will be allowed.

EDIT:
    CougRon wrote: »
    I wonder if there will be a shuttle back and forth...

I remember a shuttle being used for PAX 06 between the convention center and a nearby hotel where the tabletop was. I doubt it would be very difficult to set up a few shuttles for this.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    KryptaraKryptara Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It is my assumption that the concerts will be at Benaroya as well. Is that correct?

Kryptara on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Plus the walk back is uphill, not that easy for the handicapped or phisically unfit.

Ugh. Not what I want to hear. Avoiding the line (if that's still the case, i assume it is) will be a benefit but I suck @ hills. And most of the stuff I went to last year was at the main hall.

I wonder how much thought went into accessibility. There probably wasn't much of a choice, but still this seems like bad news for wheelchairs.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Here's the situation:
    633288297794843750.jpg

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's the situation:
    633288297794843750.jpg
    All seating.

Yeah I went looking around and noticed as well. I can't say I like that fact, but it may work out for the better for my team.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If all else fails, remember that Enforcers tend to be ridiculously, irrationally helpful. You can ask for assistance if you need it, and we'll do our best.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm only slightly familiar with downtown, but I'm pretty sure that this is NOT a 5-6 minute walk. More like 15-25 at a minimum depending on ability and conditions. Plus the walk back is uphill, not that easy for the handicapped or phisically unfit. I would suggest that somebody walk it though to see how long it takes. Try to go at an easy pace, don't rush it.

I think it's about 10-15 if you make the lights. I've done the walk huffing it to meet people in the WSCTC area and to go to luncheons with colleagues at the hotels up there. Even when we have an office group with many of the females in heels it never takes more than 15 minutes (even with half the group missing lights and waiting). There are routes you can take to avoid steep uphill blocks that wouldn't really change the timing. I'd suggest heading north on 3rd and going up Pike/Pine since they're mostly flat to WSCTC. If you go up University or Seneca you're asking for a serious calf workout!

I could possibly do a slow walk up that way and take the bus home from Convention Place Station tonight after work. No promises though, if I get in auto-pilot home I might forget!

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    parabola wrote: »
    Plus the walk back is uphill, not that easy for the handicapped or phisically unfit.

Ugh. Not what I want to hear. Avoiding the line (if that's still the case, i assume it is) will be a benefit but I suck @ hills. And most of the stuff I went to last year was at the main hall.

I wonder how much thought went into accessibility. There probably wasn't much of a choice, but still this seems like bad news for wheelchairs.

hey para, if i'm able to get into the Q&A and stuff, i'll help you get back to the convention center.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm sure I'm not alone in being able to offer my pushing services should you need it for the hills

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You can take the bus for free! Take the bus from Convention Place station, a few blocks flat from WSCTC and then get off at University Street Station. There are elevators up from the station straight into the lobby of Beneroya!

Map of the Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel

Note the light rail trains are not free in the tunnel. Not that I've seen anyone check fares, but fair warning.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's the situation:
    633288297794843750.jpg
    All seating.

Wait wait wait wait.

Does the fact that it's an entirely seated theatre also mean that the tradition of No Dancing At PAX Concerts is now going to become a rule of No Dancing At PAX Concerts?

because as one of the 10 PAX-goers who enjoy dancing that would really bum me out.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to give PA the benefit of the doubt here, just to see how everything goes. But I will say that I'm not too excited about this prospect. I can understand the change, but this screams '07 E3 to me.

The ease of having the main theater onsite was great because if I started getting claustrophobic at the concerts, or wasn't into one band, I could go hang out in free play or BYOC for a bit then easily come back. Now that's not looking like a vaible option after being on your feet for hours.

I made a similar walk to the Hostel last year, and when I got there, I was hard pressed to want to come back to the center.

but, I'll guess we'll see how it goes.

JonnyNero on
This discussion has been closed.