As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Day With Robert Khoo: My Photo Journal of the Child's Play Golf Tournament

Muk1000Muk1000 Registered User new member
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
Yesterday was the 1st Annual Child's Play Golf Tournament at Brookside Golf Club in Pasadena. When the news of this first went up, my brother Matthew, my friend Patrick, and myself (Jeffrey) jumped on it almost instantly. After all, there aren't many Child's Play/Penny Arcade events here in southern California. We're not great golfers (as is now in evidence), but we love playing and it's a great cause, so we were happy to throw ourselves into the mix. Since it was going to be four person teams, we decided to request that our fourth player be, well... this is what we all wrote:

"Robert Khoo/Mike Krahulik/Jerry Holkins/Scott Kurtz/Kris Straub/Wil Wheaton"

Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask! We were half joking, of course. But guess what? It paid off.

dsc0001edit.jpg
:D

We were excited, to say the least. Team 1 with Robert Khoo, starting on the first hole (it was a shotgun start, so teams started at all different holes). We grabbed our putters and headed over to the practice greens, but not before running into Robert by the club house and introducing ourselves. Robert warned us that he sucked at golf and asked how good we are.

"We're okay," I said, which is being generous.

Robert didn't seem to be satisfied with that. "What does that even mean?"

Regardless, he was nice and enthusiastic and we went separate ways to practice. The driving range was full, so we practiced putting for a while.

dsc0015rl.jpg
The driving range.

dsc0020xf.jpg
Me (left) and Patrick practicing our putting.

There was a putting contest set up on another putting green, which I took a shot at. Robert was assisting some enforcers with it. I managed a 7 on the three holes, which was good, but not incredible. The winner got a 4.

dsc0032oh.jpg
The edge of the green with the putting contest.

Pretty soon we headed back to the rows of golf carts to prepare for the main event.

img0003fhz.jpg
Patrick (left) and Matthew check out the swag bags.

img0013ee.jpg
Classy!

img0006bg.jpg
Everyone got six of these. I have five. One is in a canal.

img0007xc.jpg
Rows and rows of golf carts!

img0014c.jpg
Pat and Matt chillin'.

Before long we were joined by our fourth... this guy:

dsc0053sh.jpg
Like a boss.

Leaning out of the cart, he yelled across the golf carts to someone else in the first row. "KRAHULIK!"

Mike yelled back. "Yeah?"

"How about we make a gentleman's bet?"

"Lemme take a look at your team." Mike stood up and looked at us, and instantly yelled, "Yeah! Let's do it!"

They decided on $100, which would go to Child's Play. Khoo spun around and addressed us. "Do not fuck this up for me!" No pressure or anything!

We headed to the first hole, where we took a team picture and took our first shots of the day. It's worth noting that the tournament was a team format, where everyone hits the balls, the team decides which is best, and then everyone hits again from there, until the hole is done. So even a team of mediocre players can do well; you just need one person to do well on each shot. It was a ton of fun.

dsc0051e.jpg
Patrick, having a ton of fun.

img0023xg.jpg
We finished a hole guys!

dsc0059amo.jpg
What a pro.

img0044dn.jpg
What a newb.

At one point, I set up to tee off first but we had to wait for the players ahead of us to move ahead farther. Robert walked over to my ball, already set, and smacked it over to me with his driver, so I hit it back. What followed was some intense golf hockey, which culminated in Robert putting his tee next to mine. He set both balls on the tees and said, "Our balls are touching." Then he hit them both at once. It was awesome.

img0046ef.jpg
Admiring Robert's form.

dsc0066bv.jpg
Robert drove our cart, I kept score. We made a good team. Well, in everything except golf.

img0025os.jpg
Some holes were sponsored. They sported these fancy flags.

dsc0064wl.jpg
On the green!

We talked about all kinds of things, including the insane week he was in for at E3, what he hoped to see from the show, our favorite Final Fantasy games, our studies (the three of us may have been the youngest people there), and the various projects Penny Arcade works on. He was incredibly funny, open, and friendly all day. Back at home that night, we talked about how lucky we were; few fans get a chance to spend 18 holes worth of time with Robert, and it couldn't have been better.

img0037en.jpg
Always working! Or talking shit with Mike.

img0033yx.jpg
We saw the backs of a lot of trees.

img0047xt.jpg
Teeing off on a later hole.

img0050tc.jpg
Matt takes a shot on the same hole.

dsc0116ut.jpg
Khoo was incredibly patient with my bullshit.

img0052aly.jpg
Hole 18 had a bitch of a green. We overshot it, which meant we were putting downhill. All of us missed by inches, turning a potential par into a double bogey. Not the strongest finish.

After a good six hours, we said our thanks to Robert and headed to the club house for the post game BBQ.

img0058dj.jpg
It was pretty swanky.

img0060mm.jpg
OM NOM NOM!

Mike was seated nearby and was chatting with fans. I overhead him tell them his teams score, which was much higher than we had expected (although his team beat ours by seven strokes). I got up and walked over.

"You got a [score]?" I asked him.

"Yeah."

"We were with Robert and you texted him saying you were eleven under!"

"Yeah! I lied." Everyone busted up laughing. To be fair, Robert had said he was lying, but it was still closer than I'd expected.

We talked with some great fans and watched the awards ceremony, including some special prizes for closest to pin and longest drive challenges. After that, we went about getting some pictures.

dsc0157f.jpg
Team 1!

dsc0159fe.jpg
Jerry is one of the most fun people in the world to talk to. We mentioned that Patrick and I had been at the LA book signing, and he talked about it with infectious enthusiasm.

dsc0161bt.jpg
Wil Wheaton was there, making this event officially "star-studded."

dsc0163u.jpg
Kris Straub was a gentleman, and very humble, too. Also tall. We talked briefly about Blamimations and his new show with Scott.

dsc0165w.jpg
Finally, we talked to Mike. I introduced us as the guys who made sure he didn't have to spend $100, and he thanked us.

dsc0166ut.jpg
Patrick with Mike.

On the way back to our car, we were talking about the day and the pictures we'd gotten. Patrick, unbeknownst to me, had noticed someone behind us, and said, "Jeff, you should put up a picture of you with Will Wheaton as your Facebook picture."

A voice behind me said, "Nah, that's so overdone."

I looked behind us to see Wil walking right there. We talked a bit on the way to the parking lot. After we separated, I remembered something and yelled, "Oh, hey Wil!" It was dark, but I could see him turn his head towards me. "LA Kings, next year!"

I saw his head turn a bit, and he yelled back, "I dunno man..." I understood. It can be tough being a Kings fan.

It was an incredible day with incredible people, from Robert to the enforcers to the amazing fans and golfers who came from all over. Thanks for throwing this event, Child's Play team, and we hope to see you again next year!

Muk1000 on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    Awesome stuff man

Tube on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    this is actually pretty neat!

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Golf rules and I can't wait to play some on my vacation. Cool pictures.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not particularly into golf, but that sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A+ thread, would read again. Looks like you had a hell of a lot of fun!

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    very cool duder

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also, you have no idea how incredibly jealous I am that you got to spend six hours with Robert.

To be fair, I don't think I could go that long without trying to smooch him.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    SporkacusSporkacus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Great thread man :)

It's always awesome seeing such genuinely nice guys do awesome stuff for their fans and patrons, especially when it's for charity!

Sporkacus on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Best thread

Kochikens on
  • Options
    SprattlesSprattles Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Matthew here, I can attest to the amazing nature of this event. I am already looking forward to next years with childlike excitement. The odds are against us being with such an amazing teammate again, but we plan to practice all year so we can at least show Khoo we improved. He is a gentlemen and a scholar, and I look forward to seeing him and everyone else in the future!

One detail my brother left out of this post is that not only did we get beaten by Krahulik and cost Robert a hundred bucks, we were the worst team there. No really. We got last place. As Jerry said in his news post today, we had decided to go for the high score, instead of the customary low score. So in that regard, we were in fact the winners.

Sprattles on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    haha, what a great day! Good on you guys

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is a great thread.

I want more threads like this.

Thanks for the pictures/recap. <3

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That looks like a ton of fun. I wish I could golf more often/was good at it.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    was there any sucking it...for the children?

(seriously, this is an awesome set of photos, and it looks like you guys had a blast.)
    also, MIKE'S WEARING A RED SOX HAT WOOOOOOO

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That is excellent. I recall reading a tweet during that said Robert was aiming for the highest score, thought that was funny.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant news post not tweet. I need sleep.

Goose! on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I live right next to Pasadena. I am however, terrible at golf. Looks like a ton of fun.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    was there any sucking it...for the children?

(seriously, this is an awesome set of photos, and it looks like you guys had a blast.)
    also, MIKE'S WEARING A RED SOX HAT WOOOOOOO

Bandwagon fans...

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Allow me to officially represent the East Coast in requesting more events like this....over here.

Grats to you guys that got to go, though! Looks like it was a blast.

godmode on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DO NOT FUCK THIS UP FOR ME

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A Day With Robert Khoo should be a show on the Travel Channel. Just Khoo picking an activity and some lucky person or group to hang out with.

Hunter on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am the most jealous of you. That sounds like so much fun.

Langly on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd have so many questions for Wil Wheaton too.

For one, I want to know who he thinks would win in a manly contest: Jonathan Frakes or Michael Dorn.

Hunter on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    A Day With Robert Khoo should be a show on the Travel Channel. Just Khoo picking an activity and some lucky person or group to hang out with.

I'd imagine he could start Khoo Bombing like Bill Murray, and no-one would believe you when you said you had drinks this one time in a bar in Seattle and Robert Khoo just sat down at your table. No-one would believe you.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GalyGaly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm jealous. I would happily embarrass myself on the golf course for Child's Play. Great pictures!

Galy on
    mustache w/ hat c|:{
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    khoo is so handsome

even if he doesn't appreciate my puns on the facebooks

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Added a couple more stories to the first post. If you've already read it earlier, here they are for your convenience:
    Muk1000 wrote: »
    At one point, I set up to tee off first but we had to wait for the players ahead of us to move ahead farther. Robert walked over to my ball, already set, and smacked it over to me with his driver, so I hit it back. What followed was some intense golf hockey, which culminated in Robert putting his tee next to mine. He set both balls on the tees and said, "Our balls are touching." Then he hit them both at once. It was awesome.

On the way back to our car, we were talking about the day and the pictures we'd gotten. Patrick, unbeknownst to me, had noticed someone behind us, and said, "Jeff, you should put up a picture of you with Will Wheaton as your Facebook picture."

A voice behind me said, "Nah, that's so overdone."

I looked behind us to see Wil walking right there. We talked a bit on the way to the parking lot. After we separated, I remembered something and yelled, "Oh, hey Wil!" It was dark, but I could see him turn his head towards me. "LA Kings, next year!"

I saw his head turn a bit, and he yelled back, "I dunno man..." I understood. It can be tough being a Kings fan.

Muk1000 on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

For one, I want to know who he thinks would win in a manly contest: Jonathan Frakes or Michael Dorn.

Dorn.

Worf never wanted to get his freak on with some androgynous humanoid.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    khoo is so handsome

even if he doesn't appreciate my puns on the facebooks
    You back the fuck up. Khoo's mine.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Dorn.

what's un-manly about that

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    there's too much handsome for you to khoontain

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So did you fuck this up for him?

It sounds like you had a great time. Awesome stuff.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    faits wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Dorn.

what's un-manly about that

Wanna rail a chick? Do it.

Wanna hump a dude? Do it.

Can't make up your mind and end up falling for some creature that's neither? That's got woman written all over it.

Cuz women can't make up their minds, see.

:P

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    literally having a stroke over here

golf pun!

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kill Dan Catchpole.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish they had done a bogey golf strip for this instead of a regular one

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Golf is four hundred times more interesting to me when it involves Robert Khoo

Great recap, guys!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if Trap Addict aka hot sauce will post here. It's me, Pope Bourbon the First

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    literally having a stroke over here

sh_sig.jpg

Goose! on
  • Options
    SvenFTWSvenFTW Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Muk1000 wrote: »
    At one point, I set up to tee off first but we had to wait for the players ahead of us to move ahead farther.

We were team 2B, right ahead of you guys. I just wanted to let you know that it was the team ahead of *us* that was causing all of the delays. One of their golfers literally took 5-6 minutes to hit EVERY shot like he was on the PGA Tour or something. Finally around hole 12 I asked them semi-politely to move with some purpose and things got a lot better from then on out.

But that was the worst part of the experience and even that was not a big deal. It was a blast and I hope Child's Play keeps holding these tournaments every year, I'd like to become a yearly participant.

SvenFTW on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming you guys! We could tell it was backed up.

Muk1000 on